Weirdness: The Legend of Zelda's Master Sword Appears to be in PS4-Exclusive inFAMOUS: Second Son

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Heavily inspired by it, at least

Any members of the Nintendo Life community with a PS4 — it's OK, many of us have multiple consoles — may currently be playing a bit of inFAMOUS: Second Son. It's the latest major release on the hardware, and is on the front line of the 'console war' arguments for this week that we all love so much.

Nevertheless, it seems you can't keep Nintendo's influence out of view, even if the Kyoto-based company is serving up systems and games with a different focus and line-up to their rivals. Second Son developers Sucker Punch Productions, well known for placing various references throughout its games, seems to be doing its bit to bring ever-lasting unity, brotherhood and friendship between console manufacturers. Well, perhaps not, but it _has_included an item that strongly resembles the Master Sword, albeit with a subtle design tweak to avoid direct comparison — the end of the blade is split. Images below via OverstuffedSofa on Reddit.

In any case, if you are playing this game it's visible in Eugene's home, a character you meet not too far into the game. If you're not in the PS4 / inFAMOUS club, there's always the option to debate the merits of the design. It's not as good as the originals, obviously.

[via craveonline.com]

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

And there is the irony of the games industry: This perceived notion of what sells 'mature and deep games' and Nintendo is no longer relevant and done for, yet a flagship Sony game puts a reference to Zelda in to make everybody smile from developer, to journo, to games fan.

Nintendo is what the games industry is built on.

Legromancer

Legromancer said:

@MrGawain
you know, making a reffernce actually IS a compliment. Doesn't change the situation that not many NEW IPs from Nintendo are considered as important to make an easter egg as one of the old ones, like Zelda. Or to say it in another way: The developers grew up loving Nintendo but stepped away from them wehen the industry and the tastes of the conumers changed. It now is an industry that can compete with Hollywood when it comes to entertaining value. Sony and MS realised this. Nintendo just keeps making toys. I like toys, but i need other systems (PC) to satisfy my needs. So yeah, for me the Wii U also became a second console. And this will become the massage for the next few years i believe. Iwatas statement he wants to suprise consumers may lead to the next gimmick i believe. Not a rosy future for me. I want exiting games.

Fabaroo

Fabaroo said:

@CDBz What you said becomes really creepy if one looks at your 'Happy' Mask Salesman picture.
shudders

Goginho

Goginho said:

@MrGawain Yea, irony indeed. While us gamers are having console wars, raging all over the internet, even resorting to violence in extreme cases, the developers of all these different gaming / console companies have respect toward each other for the most part, going as far as stating it publicly. I wonder how some of the gamer 'extremists / fundamentalists' feel when they hear a PS developer say he's impressed by and can't wait for Mario Kart for example (and vice versa) :P

@Legromancer Personally, I think developers just take the job they're offered, whether it'd be under Nintendo or whatever other company.
As for toys, entertainemnt and Hollywood, I think the flaw in Sony and MS, like you mentioned, is indeed how they try to compete with Hollywood, in which they release a plentiful amount of movie-like games or 'interactive movies' if you will. Hollywood is Hollywood. They make movies. Video games are video games. So I think Nintendo has nothing to realise here. Sure, having some realistic, special-effecty, interactive-movie-like games is a pro imo., but having at least half the library filled with them is a con in my books. I might as well watch a movie then, and matter of fact, I like going to the cinema to watch a movie, as I like playing video games. Mixing one with the other..hmmm :/ But that's just me, personally. I dunno, that's the kind of impression I get about Sony's and MS' take on them realising that their industry can and arguably needs to compete with Hollywood, if that is indeed a fact, you know :)

faint

faint said:

@Legromancer about something other than the fact that these developers like zelda. About something that causes flame wars here. Do what you want it's just getting sooooo old. maybe we should just talk about the article not the hot button issues

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@Legromancer Why should Nintendo go in the same direction as MS, Sony, principally at this point when they have a 6 years lead in movie-like games? Also who gonna supply the necessity for games which aren't movie-like?

Everyone going in the same direction is really bad for the consumers. Remember how stagnated was the cell industry before iPhone, for example? Everyone focused only on making it smaller...

RennanNT

RennanNT said:

@faint I see what you are saying, but people go off-topic, principally in a topic like this. There's not much to say about this news except praising Nintendo/Zelda over and over again, or start mini fan wars over if Nintendo is original or stuck in time.

Excep7ional

Excep7ional said:

Honestly, fanboy extremist suck, and console wars suck. It's not even fun anymore because people take it way too seriously. Not targeting anyone in this comment section, just saying. As for this article, I think this is awesome. I love InFAMOUS and I'm playing through Ocarina of Time right now, and it's easily one of the best games I have ever played. Seeing an Easter Egg like this is a treat for someone like me.

Oh man. After looking at that picture, I'm sitting here imagining a Legend of Zelda game with those kind of graphics and detail. That could be all kinds of awesome if the game was done right.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Legromancer the last thing I want is for Nintendo to be more Hollywood. I rather play a game than sit and watch not everyone wants to pay $60 bucks to sit around and watch a mediocre story line instead of playing the damn game. I think games need to get away from Hollywood and focus more on the game play first like almost every Nintendo game and games like dark souls

LDXD

LDXD said:

Till this day I have never played a movie game once after beating it, to me there is no point

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

Finished Second Son yesterday. Great game, beautiful graphics, best in series, and is fresh. Recommend it to all PS4 Owners.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Not surprising. I have friends who are xbots and Sony fanboys who care about Zelda. That seems to be the only Nintendo IP they admit they like without feeling ashamed or fearing that someone says they like "kiddie games"

Cyrso

Cyrso said:

"Movie-games"

Just because most games also have a story doesn't mean it's a "movie-game.
inFamous series is also very gameplay-focused with its very fluid superpower-based traversal and combat.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

Everyone's played Nintendo games at one point or another, especially developers. There was also that Easter Egg in Black Ops 2 for Zelda. It's just a little love & reminder of our gaming roots from the developers.

steamtrain

steamtrain said:

I am finishing Mass Effect 3 for the first time, and as I am getting into the story it saddens me that this is proabably the last time I finish this game, as good as it is, because the game's real strength is in the story.

While I don't know how many times I've finished Fallout New Vegas, because it is a really fun rpg.

Movie games are fun now & then, but just because it's trendy, does not make the future of gaming.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Eh, it just looks like a sword to me. Comparing it to the design of the master sword from LoZ is a bit too much of a stretch imo.

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

@WiiLovePeace

Then you don't know Sucker Punch, they make it a point to put Easter Eggs in every inFamous games from other companies and devs.

Hay Low Reach is also a reference/easteregg in inFamous 2.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

there is some love going on between Nintendo and Sony. i like that, sakurai first and now sony :P it would be great if these two worked together nintendo, sony and sega all together lol.

mjc0961

mjc0961 said:

This would have been cool if it had looked even remotely like the Master Sword. But it clearly doesn't. It's not even close.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@Cyrso in reference to what I said I'm referring to games that have just as much or more cinematics than actual game play I wasn't speaking about this game at all. I was basically trying to say that when I play a game that's what I want to do play a game not watch a movie. Very few games pull that off well enough for me to consider most of them fall way short of story telling to keep me entertained

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@TechnoEA Just because they have had easter eggs in their games in the past (& in this game as well) doesn't make this a clear Zelda reference. It's still just another sword to me, sorry.

kuribo4

kuribo4 said:

@Legromancer Nintendo's games are by far some of the best doggiepoopiepoodlepoople to come out nowadays, not just in gaming, but in general.
Zelda is one of THE gaming franchises, of course they reference it, doesn't mean Nintendo's other stuff isn't good.
And why are Nintendo's games toys and inFAMOUS, an action game with a cheesy story isn't?
I don't know what you mean by secondary console but the Wii U has already some of the best games this gen.

Profanity is not necessary here -Lz

Manaphy2007

Manaphy2007 said:

a lot of people would say crap about the game and how it shouldnt be on the game, i say games should have more nintendo easter eggs as it is in a way free advertisement for nintendo

TechnoEA

TechnoEA said:

It looks just like the master sword except the blade holder bit is upside down and without the triforce for copyright reasons. The tip is different to make it a little less obvious.

Not to mention the the exact shape of the blade is just like the Master Sword.

So no I find it hard to believe it's just a random sword.

Dave24

Dave24 said:

It's official - Nintendo goes 3rd party with SONY!
Nintendoom confirmed!

Anyway, inFamous is famous for it's video game references - there were a lot of them in previous games, nether the less, it's still good. It shows that Nintendo is still relevant.

Melkac

Melkac said:

Sony: The 3DS sells great because it's for kids!

-Includes a Zelda easter egg in their games-

ecco6t9

ecco6t9 said:

ZOMG! If only Nintendo would make PS4 games then Zelda would look this good!!!!!!!!!

*The multiple ! indicates true excitement.

Rainor

Rainor said:

I want capcom to go bust so that we can get a new breath of fire game with next gen graphics so we can get a new mega man and resident evil can become a survival horror game again and not just be cod with zombies

SecondServing

SecondServing said:

Eh Infamous sucks. The master sword is too awesome for a mediocre game. Sony needs to step it up.

Clockwerk

Clockwerk said:

This looks nothing like the Master Sword, except for maybe the blue. If anything, it looks more like the Soul Calibur

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@cowsareawesome You haven't seen many swords, have you? Ever seen a master sword from LoZ with a split in the tip?... I didn't think so. Its not a master sword or even a reference to one.

Dreamz

Dreamz said:

@Clockwerk I thought the same thing at first glance, but after pulling up some reference images, I can see the resemblance. It's not modeled after the Master Sword so much as its design simply has elements and references to the blade in question. Features of note are the shape of the base of the blade and the guard - both are not exact copies, but are definitely close enough in style to draw the connection.

midnafanboy

midnafanboy said:

well now we know sony loves zelda and does not care for the stupid console war.but awesome easter egg though makes me want to buy infamous second son now.

arderin64

arderin64 said:

TBH I'm more impressed that the ad for this game samples 'Touch Me I'm Sick' by one of my all time favourite bands, Mudhoney.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Zombie_Barioth Which Master Sword did you think the inFamous sword looked like?
Untitled
Each part of the inFamous sword is nothing like the master swords from LoZ. The pommel, hilt, guard & blade are all different inbetween the inFamous sword & the Master Swords. You could almost not make a more different sword. This is a click-bait article brought on by Pareidolia. Nothing more.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@WiiLovePeace Shut up, "You could almost not make a more different sword." xD you make me laugh! @Shworange Won't be happening for a good few years, but I have no doubt that the Wii U Zelda will produce a just as nicely rendered master sword! CANT WAIT!!!

URAmk2

URAmk2 said:

@vamkar
I think you have it reversed. Nintendo needs the help with console sales right now.

Btw that looks nothing like the master sword. You know nintendo news is really so slow when this is what we get. Lol!

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

That makes since, the presidents of each company own each others consoles lol. Like it or not Sony and Ninty actually get along fine.