Mighty Bomb Jack Is Blowing Up The North American Wii U Virtual Console This Week

Posted by Damien McFerran

Explosive stuff

We usually put our North American Nintendo Download update live later in the week when the official word hits the street, but every now and then we get a bit of a heads-up on forthcoming releases — and today is one of those times.

A listing for Mighty Bomb Jack has appeared on the North American Wii U eShop which lists the NES title as part of this week's as-yet-unannounced update.

The Tecmo Koei game is already available on the Wii and 3DS Virtual Consoles. In our critique of the latter, we were less than enthusiastic. "If you like your difficult NES action games, then perhaps you can get a little bit of fun out of Mighty Bomb Jack," uttered our review. "However, we suspect that most players will become too frustrated — or perhaps bored — to make the effort."

Will you be one of the people making the effort later this week? Or will you save your cash for more worthy titles? Tell us with a comment.

[via gonintendo.com]

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Somehow, i loved the gameboy version of this game to death as a child :D
It was weird to discover, that it actually is one of the more hated classic NES titles.
To be fair, i havent played it in ages, so maybe nostalgia is playing tricks on me ;)

element187

element187 said:

Parents rented this for me when I was a kid. I didn't like it at all. Not even nostalgia will bring me back.

Soooooo Nintendo how about ALTTP or some SMB3 action?

Rafie

Rafie said:

This game was terrible. I certainly didn't like it as a kid! For once I have to agree with @element187. This is a game that I won't ever revisit. NoA needs to stop trolling us and deliver SMB3.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

Since the upcoming (or is it released already?) Game Center CX movie is based around playing this game, I might pick it up just to struggle along side the Kacho! :)

allav866

allav866 said:

And not a single fluff was given. I never played this, and from people's reactions, I think it's best left that way.

mr570

mr570 said:

I actually liked the NES version of this game a lot. It was really tough, but there were tons of secret items to find. I might give this a go.

ajcismo

ajcismo said:

Maybe we're getting more than 1 VC game this week and NoA is leaking the lesser known title early? Meanwhile, on Thursday we get LttP and SMB3 along with MBJ.
Yeah, and maybe monkeys will fly out of my butt too.

__Link__

Link__ said:

Nintendo: "Hey guys, we know you want classic games such as SMB3, ALTTP, and so on. So we present to you........Mighty Bomb Jack!!" Oh Nintendo, you make it so hard to trust you sometimes.

Emblem

Emblem said:

I loved this game on my atari, I picked it up on pc a while back to relive it.

Technosphile

Technosphile said:

Gee, more terrible games on the Virtual Console.

Here's an idea, Nintendo: how about something like NES Pro Wrestling, or maybe another forgotten gem like Wild Guns? Enough with the trash nobody wants.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

I'll believe it when I see it.

So, since Nintendo of America can only upload one Virtual Console game per week (if at all), we ain't getting Super Mario Bros. 3 this week.

theberrage

theberrage said:

Yes! More terrible VC games that have already been released! Thanks Nintendo, just what your crumbling fan base wanted!

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

So more Team Fortress 2 and Half-Life 2 then for me this weekend. I needed more digital hats.

Stew_Piddasle

Stew_Piddasle said:

Is this being released because it's Super Bowl season? Cause this guy does a mean halftime show in Tecmo Super Bowl

KARNOVsSTACHE

KARNOVsSTACHE said:

I wish Nintendo would do some sort of crowd funding campaign for their Virtual Console releases. Let us Nintendo fans speak with our wallets and pre-order Virtual Console releases. If a title gets enough pre-orders to make it profitable - it gets produced.

A Virtual Console subscription service could be cool if multiple games get released on a regular basis.

Zach777

Zach777 said:

Why, why, why, why on earth would Nintendo release a game like this that literally fifteen people will buy when they could release A Link to the Past on Wii U and Super Mario Bros Deluxe on 3DS that thousands or more would purchase? No wonder why they are labeled as what they are labeled as.... Does anyone in there think anymore?

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Why why why Nintendo do you release another mediocre game when you have yet to release SMB3? Seriously someone needs to let us know whats going on.

Vermithrax

Vermithrax said:

@element187 yeah really... Can we start getting more good games to the eshop already. So tired of waiting all week to hand money over to Nintendo to get disappointed in poop like this. There's no reason they can't put games out faster. The library is huge and the demand is there.

sadsack777

sadsack777 said:

I first played this on the amiga what a game but I must say they could do with making a remake of the old

blinkpunk02

blinkpunk02 said:

I think Nintendo is just trolling the world at this point lol. So many VC games that nobody would ever ask for.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

One of the first Arcade games I ever played was the first Bomb Jack. (Never played any of the NES versions but I enjoyed it at the time. Probably in say 1987) .

KARNOVsSTACHE

KARNOVsSTACHE said:

@Technosphile Polls would be cool, but anyone can vote and not actually buy the game. Taking a Kickstarter approach will show Nintendo that they can make a profit if they release a specific game that people back with their $$$.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

great, more garbage. Just what Nintendo needs to keep giving us...

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I'm guessing that Nintendo isn't giving priority to their own games and are not ignoring other companies submissions. Tecmo may have been waiting longer for their games to be released than Nintendo has with Super Mario Bros. 3. At one new VC game a week, the release list must be getting quite long.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Oh, God...
as a North American VC enthusiast I don't even understand why I bother getting excited each week.
Lame.
So... lame.

JustinH

JustinH said:

@TruenoGT That's why I picked up Solomon's Key last year. It's pretty fun! Maybe I'll get fellow Tecmo title Mighty Bomb Jack. But that's a big maybe.

Zach

Zach said:

It's insane that Nintendo maintains a monopoly on these old roms. If Microsoft can't install The MS Network or IE and nothing more, I don't see why we don't get an alternative to VC. Let someone make one that knows how to do it right. Or, better yet? Nintendo should pay a third party to be in charge of its VC. Nintendo knows it can do whatever it wants with its library and instead of becoming interested in exciting players, getting new fans, getting new Wii U/3DS sales or any number of things, they greedily horde their stash and create an artificial drought. We would not accept this from any other company. What if Disney put out just one movie a year and kept the rest in the "vault"? What if theaters just showed one new movie a week, and you just had to cross your fingers and hope that the one you wanted to see was it? It's madness!

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

I'll be getting it. I love the arcade version.
I skipped the Wii VC version, but now you can save.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Thanks for bring the same games over and over. The Wii U VC is great with repeated games from years ago in Wii VC.

/sarcasm off.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

How about NES Rygar from Tecmo instead? That game wasn't even released on the Wii VC.

Oh, I think I just answered my own question.

irodeapony

irodeapony said:

Oh look, more crappy games instead of releasing what people want to play...

I haven't turned my wii u on in months, no new titles worth a damn. And still waiting on a link to the past for eshop