Pokémon X & Y Torchic Distribution Announced

Posted by Thomas Jones

Grab Your Flaming Fowl

With the release of Pokémon X & Y only days away, Nintendo has announced that Torchic, the fire starter from Generation III, will be released via Wi-Fi as a special distribution event to mark the release of the two titles.

From October 12th, Pokéfans will be able to download their special Torchic simply by connecting their systems to the internet. The Torchic will be given away holding a Blazikenite Stone, allowing Torchic to eventually evolve into Blaziken's Mega Evolution. Full details of the downloadable Torchic are as follow:

• Event lasts from Oct. 12th, 2013 to Jan. 15, 2014
  • Distributed inside Cherish Ball
  • Level 10
  • Holds Blazikenite Stone
  • Moves: Scratch, Growl, Focus Energy, Ember
  • Speed Boost Ability
  • Has Premier Ribbon
  • Random nature

Following the news that players will be able to receive a Kanto starter as well as a Kalos starter, it seems that with the downloadable Hoenn starter, Torchic, there's the potential to start the game with three beginner Pokémon. Will you be downloading the special Torchic and will it feature as one of your starters? Discuss your dream teams below.

[via pokemonxy.com]

SirMime

SirMime said:

I'm going to get/train him just to see Mega Blaziken in action, but I don't think it'll be a squad Pokemon. Wish they'd do a gen 2 starter as a digital distribution wink wink Totodile ;)

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

So the Torchic has the speed boost ability before mega evolving to Mega Blaziken, does it?
Random nature is one thing, but the biggest surprise will be if the received Torchic can be female.

eduardopaulo

eduardopaulo said:

Torchic, Chespin, and Squirtle! Hopefully Pidgey and Pikachu can be easily found in the beginning as well, and then Tyrunt will be the 6th member. This gen is going to be SWEET.

5ony

5ony said:

I guess you could say this is... one HOT deal!

Eh? Ehhh?
Alright, that stunk, but this is still really cool. Though, I suppose it can also be seen as a big tease from Nintendo to all those fans that want Ruby and Sapphire remakes.

GamerZack7

GamerZack7 said:

I see the Torchic event, as well as the cryptic comment stating that "Blazikenite cannot be obtained normally in X and Y", to be subtle clues that there may be Gen VI remakes of Pokémon Ruby and Sapphire. I also see the fact that you can choose a Kanto starter in-game to be a further nod to Gen III, specifically FireRed and LeafGreen, offering further evidence of eventual RS remakes. As for my teams in both X and Y, I'm thinking something along the lines of...

Game 1: Charmander, Froakie, Skiddo, Espeon, Fairy-type exclusive, seven others
Game 2: Squirtle, Chespin, Litleo, Glaceon, Fairy-type exclusive, seven others
Game 3: Bulbasaur, Fennekin, Helioptile, Vaporeon, eight others

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

Torchic, Bulbasaur, and either Chespin or Froakie. I actually don't like any of the kalos starters, so I'll be bumping whichever I choose off my team as soon as I can. :P. Can't say I really like Torchic, either. It was my least favourite of the Hoenn bunch. In fact, Gen I was the only time I liked all three, so maybe I'll just be using one of those for my starter, provided we get them early in the game.

Humphries90

Humphries90 said:

Ah maaaan, this totally screws up my plan to pick Charmander...

"Fine. Bulbasaur, I choose you!"

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Blaziken was my favorite starter, really glad I'll be able to get one before December rolls around.

Kit

Kit said:

I'm gonna breed a speed-boost torchic with gud IVs and fully EV train it and get 'that' to mega-evolove. :D

bigbankwill

bigbankwill said:

Hmm...I wonder if they will try and gender lock this Torchic? I guess I will have to save and reset a few hundred times to find out.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Funny story - just told my 11 yr. old son about this - 7AM, 1 hour after it posted, and he said:

"I know, it's been up forever on the Pokemon website."

Though I cant find it at all there, maybe he's just practicing his teenage know-it-all attitude. No, wait, he just showed it to me. It must be nice to be 11 and not need coffee in the morning. (This is what I do while it's brewing.)

Which of course is the same link as the bottom of article Stupid Monday mornings.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I got a Japanese one with maxed attack stat and I've got to say, this Pokemon is one of the best and I recommend people get multiple ones! You can literally sweep teams by using it right with powerful moves to deal a lethal amount of damage correctly, but it is far from being the perfect physical Pokemon. You'll love this rare treat once you see it in action! :D

Kit

Kit said:

Speed-boost ability + Protect + mega evo + Powerful breaking moves = INSANELY DEADLY!

9999CoinPorygon

9999CoinPorygon said:

I love me some torchic but with all the mega evolutions I'd rather be putting my TLC into a Kangaskhan or something. Torchic is going in the box.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

All event pokemon should be given like this one. No need to go to a certain store

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

w00t w00t! I am confused though, since I thought that participants of the last Black/White tourney were getting an exclusive Blazikenite Stone. I guess it will be something else then. I'm still going Fennekin and Squirtle.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

This probably means I'll pick Bulbasaur rather than Charmander then. I'll already have my water starter in Froakie, and that way I'll have one of each type.

I still think I really want the fire Lion thingie, though, so Torchic may not last in my team.

Palom

Palom said:

Froakie/Bulbasaur/Torchic for me too. Maybe in the future, I'll go all fire.

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

yeah this is kinda old news now from what i was told to i saw this over the weekend and thought how freaking awesome can this get? O_O

froakie/charmander/torchic for me least from what i can think of now :P (was planning to go with fennekin but last evo e.O nah)

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I might go for this as one of my starters, but at the same time I want to use more new Pokemon. I'll definitely use Bulbasaur and Froakie, but I might go for a Gen 6 Pokemon for a fire type.

kingston589

kingston589 said:

Chesnaught, Blaziken, Blastosie, trade over my garchomp, talonflame, and the new squid thingy.
P.s. This has been on serebii forever

Rensch

Rensch said:

I will download it, but I will use Fletchling instead. It evolves into a Fire/Flying-type with Flame Body, which will make breeding go much faster.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

I'm going all-fire this Generation, it seems. Charmander, Fennekin and this Torchic. So much Fire-Type love! :B

Azikira

Azikira said:

UUUUUGH I HATE YOU TORCHIC, GO DIE IN A FIRE!!... Wait... You ARE fire D:

Shadowkiller97

Shadowkiller97 said:

@rjejr Yea, this was announced in the same video as the original Mega Evolution reveal. It was flashed pretty quick in the video, and there has been so much information since then that most people either missed it or completely forgot about it.

kitsunetails8

kitsunetails8 said:

I WAS gonna get Chespin, Squirtle, and Torchic, so I would have a well balanced type team. But then they had to go and announce Mega Charizard X so now I'll be getting Chespin, Charmander, and Torchic!

I will be changing my team quite often so I can have well leveled Pokemon. I'm looking forward to Noivern and Xerneus.

suburban_sensei

suburban_sensei said:

@Hunter-D

@eduardopaulo

Same here. I just posted in the thread about this, but it seems like a good idea to have one of each type, so seems like the logical choice for me. It works out great, because out of the Kalos starters I actually like Chespin the most, and Squirtle has always been my favorite (because Blastoise is awesome!) Pokemon Blue was my first Pokemon game ever, so I have a special place in my heart for Blastoise.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

I'm gonna have to get this for Christmas. I'll go Torchic, Bulbasaur and Froakie.

Really glad that Torchic and the original three are available in this game, because not only is Torchic my favourite starter Pokémon, but the final evolutions for all three Kalos starters are pretty disappointing. Greninja is just the best of a bad situation.

eduardopaulo

eduardopaulo said:

@suburban_sensei @Hunter-D

It took me a long time to decide which was my favorite Kalos starter, but when the final forms leaked it was no longer an issue. It's the first time my favorite starter is grass type (my choices in previous generations have been Squirtle, Cyndaquil, Torchic, Piplup, and Tepig). I always look for balance between types and stuff like that, but I will NOT train a Pokémon if I think its looks are lame.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

This is great, my 3 starters will be fire, water and grass (Torchic, Squirtle, Chespin)

Also, that Torchic has a random nature, what a coincidence indeed, we shall be best friends.

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

"Will you be downloading the special Torchic and will it feature as one of your starters?"

Yes, of course I'll download it, but why would I use something that potentially amazing competitively for my in-game team? I'm gonna save it, soft reset for a good'un then probably ignore it for a bit in place of something to counter all the Speedboost Blazikens that everyone will mysteriously have :P

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

I cant make up my mind. I want to use more kalos pokemon and i'm already using bulbasaur, but I feel like I cant pass up this offer. also I would probably use it's mega form but if I do that I cant use venusaurs mega. first world problems. @Cinaclov you can use it competitively even if you use it in the main story, just have it breed with a ditto. you'll still be able to use the blazikenite.

eduardopaulo

eduardopaulo said:

To be fair, I think prior to today's post there was no indication whatsoever as to where exactly Torchic could be obtained - information was pretty vague, it could be US only, or Gamestop only - and now NL has confirmed it's a wi-fi event and anyone can get the Torchic just by connecting the 3DS to the internet.

B3ND3R

B3ND3R said:

I was wondering how that would work! Nice to see that they will distribute Pokemon through WiFi... Now I should just cross my fingers that Shinx will be in X/Y... If not, then I will just have to use the Pokebank/Poketransfer to bring a low-level one over. I loved my Shinx so much that I replaced my starter with em in Diamond. I regret nothing!!

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

@ShadowFox254 You're the type of person that ruins Pokemon for others.

"Cheating time"...really? Don't give those hack sites ad revenue and exposure through clicks.

ShadowFox254

ShadowFox254 said:

@NINTENCHIP Eh, no, I don't go there that far to cheat. I do everything else legit, breeding, egg moves, EVs, and IVs. The only thing I hate is the damn Dream World ability. Just to have the ability to play against advance players. And so what? Is GameFreak's fault for not fixing the way Dream World abilities work (having to go to the website to get a female Pokémon who has the ability) and then more breeding, just to have the best Pokémon possible.

MadameJynx

MadameJynx said:

I don't want Torchic in my starting party but I'll most likely train it for my competitive team. To the box with you, my dear Torchic!

And even though we've known about this for a while, the site recently updated with more information on how to get it so this is just.. updated old news instead of brand new news lol and not everyone is up-to-date all the time so no harm in putting it out there for people who might not have known!

2Sang

2Sang said:

Got mine with terrible speed IVs but that's ok since it has speed boost

Torchickita

Torchickita said:

I have a really huge problem! Ive been trying to get torchic for two days now without succes. Everyone says you should go to the main menu but how??? When i start pokemon x it goes directly to my save game without seeing live event or gift or anything else?????

Torchickita

Torchickita said:

Instead i found it though only it keeps searching for a gift and responds with : there are currently no gifts available? Never played pokemon before and i have a new nintendo 3ds, buyed it yesterday. My connection is always perfect, can some one help me pleasee????