Video: New Pokémon X & Y Footage Emerges, Proves How Exciting it Really Is

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Off to the beach

While you may think you're getting hyped for Pokémon X & Y's arrival in October, you'll have to go some to show the level of excitement evident on Japanese TV show Pokémon Smash. Often the source — along with Coro Coro magazine — of early looks and exclusive reveals, the weekend's show brought more fresh footage of October's big arrival.

For one thing, we see a lot of the new Steel / Ghost type Honedge, while the demo below takes in a beach area which confirms fishing for this entry, and there's also a brief glimpse of surfing. Water starter Froakie is also shown in action, while Octillery and Inkay do battle with our intrepid Smash demo enthusiasts.

This footage gives a nice taste of the visual style of X & Y, while the excitement of those in the studio is great to see. If you can scream and make as much noise as these gamers without cameras pointing at you, then you must be a big Pokémon fan.

[via serebii.net]

Aviator

Aviator said:

Actually really excited for this. Shame about the grid movement system though.

EDIT: Saw diagonal movement. I'm happy now.

Warbeard

Warbeard said:

Wow, shrieking at videofootage is not something I've done a lot :P Although I did clap my hands when Donkey Kong was revealed at this years E3.

On the X/Y subject, it's a bit of a shame that water-type pokemons are still just lounging on the ground - I had hopes that Gyarados for example would actually be submerged instead of floating around.

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

Battles look beautiful but really slow. I hope you can speed it up a bit without losing the nice move animations.

okamiki

okamiki said:

@Kyoto True, at least looks like that.

And of course they are excited, they are advertising the game...

Me too, I'm also very excited;)

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

@Aviator - Diagonal movement? Where?! That would definitely make me happy as well!

@Kyoto - Yep, that's still one of my greatest pet peeves with Pokémon. Those lenghty pre-battle animations get old really fast when you're, say, trasversing a cave.

AllAroundGamer9

AllAroundGamer9 said:

Haha, they're having lots of fun with the game. It put a smile on my face when they caught a pokemon.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Wow. An awful lot of excitement over.... Fletchling. lol

But still, this game is shaping up to be truely something spectacular!

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

This seems to be practically perfect in every way! The Pokémon game we've been waiting for many years.
Also, I pity the fools of the TV show people and their (so authentic!) enthusiasm. Guess television is rubbish everywhere in the world.

Gavin_Rozee

Gavin_Rozee said:

I love Pokemon, but watching adults screaming like that over a wild Pokemon encounter is just embarrassing.

TheEmerlLad

TheEmerlLad said:

Gotta remember folks, it's a game for kids! Of course it's over the top enthusiastic excitement. It get's the kids that are watching this on a religious basis more excited to get the game. And it worked on me, considering I'm a 21 year old man child.
I'll get freaking excited when I catch my first Fletchling

element187

element187 said:

Never played a Pokemon game.. I guess its after my time (When i was a kid the first Mario and Zelda were huge).

But I'll rent it and give it a fair try.

LordJumpMad

LordJumpMad said:

Japanese sure know how to over sell a game.
Pokémon should have been like this last gen, hopefully there more to this 3D battles.
Also; is that Sword a Pokémon? Or did the trainer got tired of using his pokémon, and when on a slashing rampage.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Freaking diagonal movement! Game Freak realized after 5 gens how stupid simple grid movement is :D

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

1st- I'm not used to that over screaming they did in the video. I wasn't sure to be excited, laugh or be a little concern. It just threw me off.

2nd- I really hope "Surf" is not going to be like that...

3rd- The Sword pokemon is the "new Lucario" in the sense that everyone is going to train it and have it on their teams. I suppose that can't be helped. The concept and design is cool...kinda like a folklore of sorts...

4th- I'm still waiting for confirmation that the US will get those special Pokemon editions of the 3DS XL. I really want it like the green box for New Super Luigi U. Hahaha! XD

Doma

Doma said:

It's kinda sad that i'd remember the name of every pokemon up until gen 3 (stopped caring after that).... knew that was Octillery before clicking in here.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I think I saw this already....couldn't watch more than 20 seconds of it, too much yelling, lol

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@Microwaveable1 It's Octillery from the 2nd generation. Nothing new, though I admit its cute. One of my favourites, I still must have one on Crystal trained for the League, water-type with psychic and ice attacks.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

@LzQuacker Actually, they've done free movement before with Colosseum and XD: Gale of Darkness. As a result (I assume, anyway), those save files took up a huge amount of memory card blocks in order to record your exact position and the exact direction your trainer faced.

Gioku

Gioku said:

Not nearly as exciting as they'd have you believe... but it's nice to see 8-directional movement as opposed to 4-directional. Full use of the circle pad would have been ideal, but it's definitely an improvement!

Furealz

Furealz said:

I miss the GameCube Pokémon games, I wonder if this changes Pokémon for the better. I don't know about anyone else, but I'm quite sick of sprites. >.<

Pichuka97

Pichuka97 said:

While this looks great I just want to point out that I really hate watching these videos on Pokemon Smash. Those people's voices are really distracting.

tsm7

tsm7 said:

For everyone talking about them freaking out, that's really just how Japanese television goes. At least the talk shows, it's pretty over the top reactions all the time. Kind of like American infomercials.

NoUsernameHere

NoUsernameHere said:

The Game Footage was awesome....The Screaming Adults though,Not so much. That Volume Button just got more tempting.

Relias

Relias said:

Looks good.. but Geez if you paid me to advertise your game.. I could probably.. make myself go OOO.. wow... and look see.. and clap and laugh to... hell if they paid me.. I could make myself go OOOOOOOO the cllllllaaaaaawwwww to... I am sorry.. nothing against em.. just saying they are being paid well to make this the coolest thing since Kool Aid.. so you know... still this does look like a good game overall..

KilluaZoldyck

KilluaZoldyck said:

I wish that the 3ds wasn't region locked. The first Pokemon taught me how to read and since I'm learning Japanese now I keep thinking that playing Pokemon in Japanese would help me brush up my skills.

Skeet102

Skeet102 said:

not impressed with the trailer. if I had that demo copy, I would have looked hard for every piece of info I could find.

Samurai_Goroh

Samurai_Goroh said:

@element187 I highly suggest you buy this. Renting doesn't cut it to a Pokémon game, you'll be playing it for months. Do stores even rent them? And your never late to start with Pokémon, they manage to be all very beginner friendly while still having layers of depth and complexity that a master RPG requires. Jump in the bandwagon.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

X and Y look as good as the Gamecube games did back then. Thats my only problem with them, 3D console games aren't as exciting when the main games are already 3D.

@Skeet102
Of course you would, we all would. The trailer isn't very impressive because it can't be, theres only so much they're allowed to show and theres still 3 months to go.

Squid

Squid said:

Goodness, you guys. I can see how they can be annoying but I think it's cute. They're just excited, and frankly I would be too.

GamerZack87

GamerZack87 said:

There's still one thing that's bugging me that wasn't explained in the trailer: do defeated Pokémon still sink into the ground?