Nintendo Download: 6th June (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Spelunking, questing for jewels and discounts galore

It's the start of another week, which means it's time for those of us in Europe to dive into this week's Nintendo Download update. We have the most iconic puzzle game of all, as well as some alternative puzzling and strategy titles joining in. Only the Wii misses out this week, with its successor having some discounts — both permanent and temporary — and another NES title to add to its Virtual Console library.

Wii U Virtual Console

Spelunker (Tozai Games, €4.99 / £3.49) — Another retro NES platformer, with this one placing an emphasis on exploration and quick puzzle solving. We'll be taking a fresh look, but we did feel that an absurd level of difficulty and frustrating design — perhaps linking back to its days on pre-NES systems — made this one very hard to recommend; you can see why in our Wii Virtual Console Spelunker review; on the plus side it is available at a promotion price — below — should you choose to try it anyway.

Wii U eShop Temporary Discounts

Spelunker (Tozai Games, €3.49 / £2.39 until 13th June, normally €4.99 / £3.49)

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Forzenbyte, €8.49 / £6.99 until 27th June, normally €16.99 / £13.99)

Wii U Permanent Discounts

ZombiU (Ubisoft, €29.99 / £24.99, was €69.99 / £54.99)

Just Dance 4 (Ubisoft, €39.99 / £29.99, was €49.99 / £39.99)

Ben 10: Omniverse (D3 Publisher, €29.99 / £29.99, was €44.99 / £35.99)

3DS Retail Download

Tetris (Tetris Online, €9.99 / £8.99) — Also known as Tetris Axis in North America, this 2011 3DS release arrives on the 3DS eShop with a tempting price; it offers over 20 modes, as well as local, download and online multiplayer. Here's our Tetris review if you're on the fence.

DSiWare

Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (MSL, 800 Nintendo Points) — This title's predecessors were released as boxed retail games on DS, but as a sign of the times this new entry opts for the download platform. We expect typical jewel swapping puzzling, and with over 170 jewel boards promised this could have a lot to offer. We'll set off on a quest to bring you our review.

Break Tactics (Agetec, 500 Nintendo Points) — This one was released in North America way back in September 2011, and finally makes its appearance in Europe. It's perhaps attempting to tap into the current trend for turn-based strategy experiences, and does a competent job despite uninspiring design and slow pacing. You can read all about it in our Break Tactics review.

That's your lot this week, Europe. We've got new Tetris and some DSiWare options, as well as quite a few notable Wii U discounts, so let us know what you're planning to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (197 votes)

Spelunker (Wii U Virtual Console and temporary discount)

Trine 2: Director's Cut (Wii U eShop discount)

ZombiU (Wii U permanent discount)

Just Dance 4 (Wii U permanent discount)

Ben 10: Omniverse (Wii U permanent discount)

Tetris (3DS retail download)

16%

Jewel Quest 4 Heritage (DSiWare)

Break Tactics (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

66%

Please login to vote in this poll.

erv

erv said:

hm, permanent discount on zombiU seems like a matching of street prices, which is very welcome.

I hope this happens very often in the future, I'd love to go all digital at some point :)

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

I'm considering Tetris but I would like to see if this actually is a re-release first.

Beta

Beta said:

This week is horrible for me X_X Oh well, can't complain since I just bought Denpamen 2, Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Pix 3D and Splash or Crash, so yeah, a lot to play for the coming weeks X3

johndevine

johndevine said:

@Hunter-D I usually love Tetris games, and would usually buy the new iterations. But I must warn you, that as an avid Tetris fan (Tetris Party is one of the most played Multiplayer games in my house - over 200 hours) The one they brought out for the 3DS was horrible. Most disappointing purchase I ever made for the 3DS.

If I was reviewing it I would give it about 40%. At the moment I actually play Tetris DS on my 3DS if I need a portable Tetris fix.

I would sell it to you for a fiver.

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

Nothing for me which is a nice welcome considering my enormous backlog :)

gurtifus

gurtifus said:

Awesome week ! ;-)
I'll buy both the Oracle games as I only bought Denpa Men 2 last week.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

Nothing for me this week, but like a lot of people I have a huge backlog on both the Wii U and 3DS I need to work my way through, so no major loss.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

While there is nothing for me this week its always nice to see a perma discount on retails games (take note microsoft and sony).

Hunter-D

Hunter-D said:

@johndevine Thanks for your post. No really, I appreciate it. I do have Tetris DS but I have always wanted Tetris 3DS and it makes more sense having it digitally as opposed to the physical cart but I'll wait to see how this turns out exactly.

johndevine

johndevine said:

@Hunter-D That's my point. Tetris for the 3DS is terrible. Terrible music and presentation and the new modes are crap.
This is the same as the one that is being released on the eshop.
It's already been out a year or so.
So it's already fairly certain how this will turn out exactly.

SuperSah

SuperSah said:

Crappy week. It's okay since I need to finish DKCR3D and start Fire Emblem Awakening.

Also, getting ACNL next week thanks to NoE's So Many Games! promotion.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Tetris!!! :) How such an old game keeps me hooked so much. I really hope they'll make a (download) Tetris for the Wii U as well.

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

i'll give spelunker a try whilst it's cheap. Don't think this was ever released as a cart in Europe, and i skipped it on Wii's vc.
I have loads of versions of Tetris, was quite surprised how much i enjoyed the gameboy version on 3ds, suspend save made it very addictive chasing high scores. Will d/l new version as it's a good price.
Already got Zombi U when it was on sale previously, excellent game.

Yoshi3DS

Yoshi3DS said:

not a good week for me, if of course i wasn't about to buy donkey kong and pokemon mystery dungeon :D

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

What lebad said, seriously where is Cave Story + already?
Having Tetris on the 3DS at all times sounds tantalising but I already have the retail release, I don't need to buy it again.

ThumperUK

ThumperUK said:

I hope the new Tetris release is compatible with the retail version, sometimes it is really difficult to find players atm and would be great to have more players online!

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

How much longer Nintendo, before you put some effort into the VC on Wii U?

IMO it's a total waste of space/time having it on the Wii U in it's current setup, still no N64, still no GameCube, just crappy ancient games, pathetic.

The VC "should" be one of the best things about the Wii U, but at the moment it's one of the worst.

timp29

timp29 said:

I had to vote tetris... bought it out of a bargain bin yesterday for $10

HeatBombastic

HeatBombastic said:

@CliffordB So many people are enjoying Wii U VC, and it's occupying us when we finish the small amount of games that's releasing. I assure you it's not useless.

Are you really saying that VC, even with the amazing deals and special discounts, with some really neat games, even though I got Super Metroid for 30 cents, it's the weakest feature on the Wii U?

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Bad week. Bad bad week.

Especially as I was hoping for MegaMan X this week as America got it last week.

Wast the wii u VC suppose to release officially in July??? Maybe we'll see the full scope of what's to come then and the trickle of 20 year old games is just meant as a taster leading upto the full on retro show (with GameCube and wii) in July

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

Hopefully NA will get different and better games, otherwise its time to start a mob like they did to Frankenstein and go after the mad doctors. Haha. :)

Madmanonfire

Madmanonfire said:

Think we can get a new review of Spelunker? The current one on this site is pretty bad. All it really amounts to is "QQ it's too hard!!".

Revolution5268

Revolution5268 said:

man do people judge eshop for one week? i know you guys are mad but give me a break. next week if im correct animal crossing is out.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

The 3DS eShop turns 2 on June 6! :D
Quiet week in general, I'm afraid. However, the eShop has come a long way in the last two years with the option to buy select games also at retail, as well as a lot of sales and/or price drops during this time. There have also been great eShop exclusives, DSiWare and Virtual Console games coming around as well. All and all, the eShop is a much better place now than it was at the start (and better than previous download stores).

Thanks Nintendo for a great and wild ride on the 3DS eShop during the last two years. Keep it up! :)

Eisenbolan

Eisenbolan said:

I like Jewel games. When is this game coming to the US? Also any word when Jewel Atlantis 3d is coming? Although I think 800 pts ($7.99 I assume) is high for a jewel game.

bahooney

bahooney said:

Bleeeghh! Please tell me America's VC release schedule is at least slightly better than this! I really must wonder who at the Nintendo HQ makes the VC decisions. What must that conversation be like?

"Hmm... alright, gang, let's have a chat about the VC. We have a glorious back log of well-loved IP's, and the next VC release is right around the corner. What kind of games do you-"
"SPELUNKER!!??"
"Why... yes! Spelunker! And next week... ELEVATOR ACTION!!"

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

its funny how its not axis in europe, who do you think would find it the most offensive, the germans ? or the french?

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

@HeatBombastic

I'm sorry, but, for me the VC on Wii U has been nothing but sheer disappointment, in my eyes nothing exciting has been released at all (so far....) and it looks like Nintendo are going to take an age in releasing a decent VC library, I'm still gutted that there's been no sign/news of GameCube titles on the VC, and we've not even had any N64 titles yet either, I'm sick of seeing the same NES/SNES releases over & over again, many of which are to ancient for me and many are simply not very good.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Tetris 3D is the same as the highly decent Tetris Axis game in NA, isn't it? Was quite a decently rated and quality package overall in retail? Will DL that definately. I was a bit of a fan of Jewel Quest 2 on "The Quest Trio" cart during the DS era so I'll probably DL JQ 4 Heritage which is one of the very best bejeweled-esque games out there.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

Mother... lover! I just bought a retail copy of Tetris a couple of weeks ago because it was in the bargain bin, and I certainly did NOT want a physical copy if the downloadable alternative was made available sooner (particularly at that price). Now I'm stuck with two bloody iterations of Tetris sitting on me shelf. Fart.

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Those Wii U eShop offering aren't very interesting, so nothing for me this week. I suppose I'll just have more time to work on my DS collection. PW:AA - Trials and Tribulations here I come!

Prof_Elvin_Gadd

Prof_Elvin_Gadd said:

Hey EU friends: Tetris Axis is totally worth that reduced price! I think I paid $30 for it when it first came out and I have no regrets. Not everyone likes Tetris, but to those that do I would recommend it for that extremely low price.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Spelunker haha,I'm sure I had that on the Spectrum 128k +2A,might of even been taped to the front of an Your Sinclair magazine.If my memory serves me well,it was crap even back then!If they're gonna have 1 of their "lets just release crap this week" weeks then why not release minimum of 3 crap old titles and have a special offer for buying all 3 together like they have been kind of doing recently?!1 single 30 year old game that has always been terrible is scandalous for a new service on a struggling next gen system.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

If it's one thing you gotta like about the Wiiu e-shop is the forever discounts.
If only this is more common on the 3ds e-shop......

CrabGats

CrabGats said:

Wow! First time I've picked nothing for me. Then again, probably for the best. I have games to finish, anyways.

wober2

wober2 said:

For a moment I thought spelunky was coming to nintendo consoles. I was disappointed :(

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

It would really stink if we had to wait 2 years for GameCube games on the Wii U Eshop. A year or two for 64 and when the console is ending and starting Wii Me or what ever the next next gen will be they will announce Game boy advanced. I mean they had how long to make the Wii U and they did not have the Eshop right away. They should have had all the prior ones available on Eshop, instead of having to by them in Wii mode and having to then buy an old classic controller. I don't know if Nintendo will be able to compete with promises when the PS4 and the One will be out in 6 months. N has a lot of stuff to do before then I just don't know if they can by their release dates. The virtual console has been out over a month and two Mario games and 0 Zelda games. Nintendo sells Nintendo with its major titles like Mario and Zelda, not Kirby, Kirby is a fun game but 4 have been released of Kirby. There have been a few Mega Man games, this is not how you sell stuff N. How fair is this I sold my PS3 to get a WIi U I was excited for all these things they have not delivered in 7 months of their rule as only next gen. Give us a reason to want to buy things, I don't care about of well in 2 years we should have a Zelda Wii U besides Wind Waker, Super Smash U, Mario Kart U. 2 years PS4 and One will be in it's prime when N wasted its time with promises. I really like N, I just don't know how this will work, again.Sooner or later N has to fulfill its promises otherwise people will go to Sony or Microsoft, where for one they get sports games every year and every sport. N should try to get the sports like they used to. They should get NCAA Football, NHL, MLB. The only ones we get are Madden and NBA, and Madden is skipping us this year.

Windy

Windy said:

I might get Tetris this week if there is a North American Discount. I will also look around for the Cartridge version and compare prices. Don't ever want to lose a save file again on a retail game. I lost 60+ hours of Harvest Moon New Beginning because I System Transferred to an XL. Not Happy about it. Thats alot of work lost

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I have to say that I'm most disappointed with this week. I already have Zombie U and Trine 2.
I'm hoping this is a deliberate ploy, so that next week during E3, we get some much wanted classics !

CliffordB

CliffordB said:

@biglittlejake

You sold your PS3 to get a Wii U, seriously? Ouch!

There's still some great! games on the way for the PS3, Last of Us, Beyond: Two Souls, Puppateer etc.

I'm a long time Nintendo fan, but, so far the Wii U has been mostly a disappointment, for me Lego City Undercover & ZombiU are the best/only reasons worth owning the Wii U at the moment.

Saying all that, once Bayonetta 2, 3D Mario & Mario Kart are out I'm sure I'll be far more positive about the Wii U, but up until now Nintendo have really disappointed me especially with the lackluster VC.

KingMike

KingMike said:

Spelunker's not just bad. In Japan, it's actually one of the most famous "crap games" right next to the likes of Takeshi's Challenge and Stargazers.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

Man, they were doing well at making the American and European VC releases the same for a few weeks, then suddenly Europe's support fell. Of course, as of right now, Spelunker is the only game listed for release this week on the American Nintendo.com too, but that could still change...I've noticed it tends to update more towards Tuesday over here. Here's hoping, anyway...we still need to catch up with Mario's Super Picross already!

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

@CliffordB At that time It seemed like a good idea; selling my PS3 to get a WII U. This was like in March. Kind of wish I didn't. N is kind of boring me right now, maybe when Wind Waker comes out it won't be so bad.

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

Boring week in terms of NEW content. Permanent Wii U discounts are a good thing, just that I don't care for ZombiU no matter how much it costs. I have the Tetris cart already too. Wii U VC continues to be absolutely useless for yet another week. Good thing I'm addicted to Oracle of Ages from last week and I've still got DKCR 3D to play through. Hopefully E3 will bring some positive news for WiiU VC (N64 games!) otherwise it will never come.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@biglittlejake yeah that wasn't a good idea but don't worry I'll let you know how good last of us is when it comes out next week :p
Btw I got rid of my Xbox 360 to get a wii u and haven't regretted it one bit ;)

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

I thought ubisoft had already permanently reduced some of it's titles? I guess it must have more than £25 at the time. Nothing for me this week thankfully , I need to make progress on my current games as my birthday is next week and I know I'm getting at least one new game.

biglittlejake

biglittlejake said:

@LDXD I miss the sports aspect. I am a big sports fan, I like playing sports games more than RPG's like Mario and Zelda. I would pick NCAA Football over Mario and Zelda. If Nintendo doesn't have the support of EA, I will give it till the PS4 comes out. If Wii U doesn't pick up I will jump ship to PS4, and sell my Wii U.

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

@CliffordB He made a sound decision. The only reason I still have my ps3 is because it plays bluray movies otherwise it'd had been long gone for credit for wii u titles. I've not bought or played a single game on ps3 since they released uncharted 3 on PSN store and I've over 100 titles on my ps3.

LDXD

LDXD said:

@biglittlejake yeah i love sports too but watching football because the games hasn't changed much to much of the same for me as far as EA they and Microsoft don't exist to me anymore I don't like being treated like **** especially when I pay my hard earned money and I hate drm more than anything
Sounds like the wii u might not be for you :/

niggyt2004

niggyt2004 said:

so im guessing were not getting any more normal wii downloads? thanks nintendo time to jump ship i think

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

I'm really starting to get disappointed in the Wii U VC. is it just me or is Nintendo just recycling it's Wii VC library? so in 5 years we will have all the games on the Wii but this time we can play them on the GamePad.

withoutdk

withoutdk said:

by making the games cheaper... they will probably make it more attractive to buy the wii u.. my problem is that i dont have time to play :/

sonik

sonik said:

Where did mega man X (Wii U VC) go?? Released in NA last week.....