Exclusive: Conker's Bad Fur Day Creator Chris Seavor Is Bringing Rusty Pup To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Fellow ex-Rare developer Shawn Pile also involved

A short time ago, we posted a news piece regarding Chris Seavor's plans for the Wii U. He hinted on Twitter that Nintendo's console could figure in his plans, and we can now exclusively reveal that he wasn't kidding — Gory Detail's next game — following the iOS title Parashoot Stan — will be called The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup, and it's coming to the Wii U eShop.

We caught up with Chris and ex-Rare developer Shawn Pile to chat about the game, which is a loosely described as a 2D platformer with dark elements.

"It's all very much about the story," says Seavor. "It's a very sad tale. It's not dark as in 'mature' — it's not got swearing in it, or anything like that. It's quite a serious and adult story, but still a fun and hopefully playable game with lots going on. There will be moments of dark humour, but nothing gory." Seavor also confirmed for us that the game will be gracing both the Wii U and 3DS eShops — the latter of which will surely allow it to exploit its impression of depth to great effect.

Although Seavor and Pile are keeping their cards close to their chests regarding the finer details of the gameplay, they did divulge some information. "It's a 2D platformer, but a with depth to it," Seavor explains. "You physically move in and out of the screen. It's also got hints of Lemmings in there. The game has a core gameplay mechanic — and when I say mechanic I mean something you do which will effect something else in the gameworld — which we can't say because it will give so much away! The main reason I'm being secretive is because we don't know whether it works or not yet and until we've tried it properly, we won't know. It will change. You put a mechanic in and even the simplest mechanic will throw out a thousand different problems."

However, gameplay is just one part of the puzzle in the world of Rusty Pup — narrative and story are of equal significance. "The character is becoming the important thing," Seavor explains. "You're caring about this character. There are added elements which make it quite like a virtual pet game, a nurture game — you've got this character you want to keep alive. Rather than you're controlling him to get from A to B, you're controlling everything else to make sure that he doesn't die. Within that framework, you've got your traditional kind of gameplay — platforms that move, monsters that get out of the way, monsters which don't — but Rusty always has a relationship with you. You're the narrator. So in that way, it's like a God game — it's not strictly a God game, but it's got narration and this mysterious figure — which is you. I'm going to do some little twists and turns with the logic of the story, so there's a reason for the character to be there. It's not like Angry Birds or Jetpack Joyride — there's a reason this character is here. He just doesn't seem to know why."

There certainly feels like a sense of progression at work here; Gory Detail has dipped a toe into indie development and is clearly aiming for bigger things with this Wii U eShop release. "Chris has tried the '30 second game' with Parashoot Stan," says Pile, who worked with Seavor at Rare on Conker's Bad Fur Day. "Stan was the "sitting on the toilet" game," agrees Seavor. "You don't start out with your most ambitious game. We've done Stan and solved a load of problems, and set up a business. Now we're taking a step back and making something that we actually really want to make. " And when can we expect to see The Unlikely Legend of Rusty Pup? "We're looking at about a year and half turnaround," replies Seavor.

We're already counting down the days. You can follow Gory Detail on Twitter.

Dogpigfish

Dogpigfish said:

We released 'mechcraft' on IOS and a few others, but I'm not sure we're ambitious enough to publish for Wii U. It's a bit intimidating. I completely relate with these guys. Deep down we all love Nintendo.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

@Dogpigfish Are you joking? If your game runs using Unity, it will run on a Wii U. That made a big point a few months ago about that. There are so few Wii U eshop games, now is the time to get on there. Little competition.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Yes this is coming to the 3ds as well!! Cant wait as im hoping this means Rare is back in a round about way!

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

Excellent news! I wish it was a retail title, though, as I'd rather have a longer and deeper experience from these guys.

nik1470

nik1470 said:

I really like the sound this I'm hoping it lives up to games like fez, limbo and braid. It sounds like the potential is there to me.

hydeks

hydeks said:

Sounds very interesting, can't wait to play it! Rare today is a joke of it's former self, but at least the former Rare people still remember how to make interesting games :)

Poisoncannoli

Poisoncannoli said:

Yeah this sounds sweat to me, I think nintendo has done something really cool with the wii u and eshop for indie developers.

onsokumaru

onsokumaru said:

@Dogpigfish Hello, please don't give up. I heard Emily Rogers is an amazing support at helping developers to get their games into eshop. Her twitter is: https://twitter.com/Emi1yRogers.
I can't wait to hear more news about your games. I hope we Nintendo gamers could get the chance to play them in our handheld or home console.

GoldMetalSonic

GoldMetalSonic said:

Did Seavor mention if this is also on iOS and whatnot? Or is this indeed a Wii U and 3DS exclusive game?

antdickensAdmin

antdickens said:

@GoldMetalSonic I believe it will be focused on a Wii U release to begin with, however if it does well they would probably look to publish on other consoles (maybe).

Donald_M

Donald_M said:

This sounds great, so I was very happy to see it's coming to 3DS as well, since I don't have a Wii U and have no plans to get one.

gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman said:

If the central mechanic hasn't been tested yet does that mean creating the gameplay hasn't even begun? A very odd way to go about making a game.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

This sounds fascinating :) Great to know these two are still on great form artistically!

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@gingerbeardman As Chris explains, they have the central mechanic in mind and when they eventually come to test it, they expect things to change. I would imagine that's pretty common in games development - you can't really know the implications of a gameplay mechanic until you test it in the game environment. I'm pretty sure these guys know what they're doing...

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I read Lemmings and immediately stopped. I couldn't care less. I'm sick of that genre. I kind of burned myself out on it, haha.

b23cdq

b23cdq said:

@Dogpigfish Contact Menashe over at Nintendo Enthusiast, he can help you get the right people to talk to, get a dev kit etc.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Sounds interesting. I really like how the Unity engine is heavily promoted by Nintendo.

Schprocket

Schprocket said:

@Dogpigfish I noticed one of the other replies mentions that you use Unity.

I second that poster's comments and have glady supported any project created on Unity where the developer has mentioned the possibility of a Wii U version, e.g. Battle Worlds: Kronos (King Art Games), Quintet (Carmine T. Guida).

The latter started developing his cross-platform game on iOS, went to OSX, then PC and Linux, is currently Kickstarter funded for Android development, and once that has finished, will look more into the Wii U as it is a project which interests him.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

This sound like it has the potential to be a fantastic indie title. This just got added to my "most anticipated" game releases list. :)

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

It's good to see the Real Rare back at home on Nintendo along with David Wise working on Donkey Kong Countey again and Phil Tossell with Tengami. A lot of original Rare staff breaking back onto Nintendo through the indie door.

Very very very good to see.
They should all collaborate into a company called Realware then work on F-Zero or Star Fox with Nintendo ;-)

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I've never really enjoyed God games all that much, but this could be interesting. I'll keep my eye on it.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Godgame Lemminglike Puzzleadventure, with lots of charm, made by Rare? Couldn't get any better!

Shambo

Shambo said:

@ricklongo i always like retail better, it comes in a box which can be added to your physical game library.

but indeed, especially with such promising 'little details' it seems like a game i'll LOVE! i'm getting a bit of a machinarium vibe here...
and 2d boy. and that's exactly what i want more often in a game. a boy and his blob on wii also pleased me a lot, very glad it was retail!

gingerbeardman

gingerbeardman said:

@Damo my thought was more along the lines of "is a game without a central gameplay mechanic enough of a game?". In its simplest form, would Tetris be Tetris if it didn't have the central gameplay mechanic of disappearing compete lines? Well, it'd still be a game but it wouldn't be as fun. Perhaps they're talking about their game a little bit early? What they're talking about right now is just a scenario, or as Chris says "a story". I guess Mario World would still be good without its story. But would the story be enough without the gameplay? Not for me.

Ps: typo "be a with"

One-Winged-Pit

One-Winged-Pit said:

@DESS-M-8 I know. :/ I asked Nintendo about it years ago. Difference between Nintendo and Microsoft, Bad Fur Day gave you all those fun multiplayer games. Live and Reloaded gave you a shooter.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@DanielWW I know that but if a lot of former members are with another company then its kinda like they're back. The Rare that's with microsoft is not the same Rare that was with Nintendo. Microsoft ruined them!!