David Wise Returns To Compose The Soundtrack To Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Posted by Andy Green

The legendary Rare composer is back

Nintendo announced Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze during today's E3 Nintendo Direct presentation. It's the direct sequel to Donkey Kong Country Returns but also sits in with the entire series which dates back to the Super Nintendo era when Donkey Kong Country emerged.

David Wise composed all three of the original trilogy of titles, which were developed by Rare, but did not come back for the Wii adaptation - developed by Retro Studios. The Wii U iteration is also being developed by Retro Studios and this time the legendary composer is back to create the soundtrack.

Considering how good the soundtracks were to all three SNES Donkey Kong Country titles this is fantastic news and the upcoming release should now have even more of a nostalgic feel to it.

What are your thoughts on Wise's return? Let us know by posting a comment.

SparkOfSpirit

SparkOfSpirit said:

This was one of my E3 highlights. :D

Oh yeah, just thought I'd mention that David Wise only did the GBA soundtrack for DKC3. (IMO, it was the better one)

Benjamin

Benjamin said:

I was basically ready to write this game off as a level pack cash-grab by Nintendo.

But for David Wise, who is an awesome guy? I'll give it some breathing room and a little hopeful hype.

Ryno

Ryno said:

David Wise is the only thing I am really excited for with this game.

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

I don't think David Wise composed all of third game's soundtrack, I believe it was done by Eveline Fisher with some help from David. He did redo the soundtrack for the GBA port of DKC3 though.

Ridley

Ridley said:

I approve of these moves that look to make Tropical Freeze the DKC2 of the Returns series.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

This news is huge for me as a Donkey Kong fan since childhood. I love Wise's work; he's one of my favorite game composers.

This along with the return of water levels and ice levels, Dixie Kong, and the Viking animals that I already like more than the tikis, is already making Tropical Freeze look better than Returns, and that's saying something since Returns is a great game.

Henmii

Henmii said:

WOW, this is a pleasant surprise! Maybe that means many new (and very cool) tracks, but I would also like to see some awesome DKC 2 and 3 remixes!!

Whatever it will be, looking highly forward to it! Maybe all the good guys from Rareware will join Retro over time! Wouldn't that be sweeet?!

SpriteKing

SpriteKing said:

As if I wan't excited enough already. If PS4 hadn't capitalized on the Xbox One's failure, Nintendo easily would've won E3.

AlbertoC

AlbertoC said:

I remember him for his amazing compositions in Diddy Kong Racing. This soundtrack is guaranteed to be a fine one, judging from previous efforts.

Honelith

Honelith said:

I used to listen to the music on the title screen with the cheat, I'm so excited to see the original composer back on board, may get a Wii U just for this. :D

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Ohhhhh boy! A new DKCR with David Wise making the music! THIS IS GONNA BE INCREDIBLE!

NerdHillbilly

NerdHillbilly said:

Good news! I still play the original just to listen to the music sometimes-especially the underwater levels.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Great news, the only thing DKCR lacked was the amazing music of the Snes titles.

MeWario

MeWario said:

@KongFu Yea I know that, of coarse it had some of the original songs but it still fell flat musical. No way near the audio impact of the original trilogy; it was quite a minor but common complaint against DKCR.

Millenia

Millenia said:

This is the best news so far in my opinion. DKC2 is my favorite game of all time, I love its music.

SMW

SMW said:

First Dixie Kong and now David Wise?! OMG. Hype overload.

net34a

net34a said:

Wise is goodm but where is Kenji Yamamoto? That man's talent shouldn't be wasted just like that. Still disappointed about Retro's decision. HD for the very first time in Nintendo's history to make ANOTHER DK game.

Realgamer4life

Realgamer4life said:

At first I saw there was no new project then I was happy I just realized by looking at the game. This took a lot of work. to get it as epic as it is. Retro I support you and applaud you for making a fun game that I will enjoy.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

Retro > Double Helix, therefore Donkey Kong Country will be much better than Killer Instinct.

DanielWW

DanielWW said:

yeah! by the trailer i instantly loved it, i didnt like returns because of the childish and new aspects especially the music.... but this has just the tropical feeling again!

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Well, his soundtracks for the SNES Donkey Kong Country games are pretty incredible so this is reassuring news. This is just one more reason to look forward to this new Donkey Kong game.

kenshinrurouni

kenshinrurouni said:

1 out of 2 things I wanted for a new Donkey Kong Country game. David Wise composing, and the Kremlings back as enemies.

Pod

Pod said:

Return of Dixie, underwater levels, and David Wise.
With all that skill and all that gorgeous art that Retro brings to the table.

This will be amazing.

Mortenb

Mortenb said:

That is the best news I have heard in a long time. The music really made DKC what it was.

Cranky

Cranky said:

Yes, this guy is the best! 'Hot Head Hop' from dkc2 is one of my faves. If you haven't heard 'Stickerbrush Symphony' brawl remix please check it out, Its awesome.

Araknie

Araknie said:

AWESOME! This is really rad.
Now Retro is there, i don't care anymore for Rare.
(PS: if you really have also a new IP show it, pls plox?)

SLiM

SLiM said:

Wow having the original composer on the team may have just made this a day one buy for me. The soundtracks for the DKC games were epic, especially in DKC2.

WindWakerLink

WindWakerLink said:

-Expletive- -Expletive- -Expletive- -Expletive- -Expletive- -Expletive- -Expletive-
-Expletive- !!!!!!!!

THAT'S SO AWESOME!!!!! We got one of the original cast of Rare to work on the music for this game?? OH MY GOSH! I'm EVEN MORE excited for the game!! ^__^

Thank you for posting this Andy Green!!!

Donjwolf

Donjwolf said:

Don't care for the game, but i do care for the music. DKC and DKC 2 has some of the best music ever.

gefflt

gefflt said:

@ricklongo Yes, yes, yes... and yes!

This is by far the best news of E3. Please god let them make a physical soundtrack of the game available for purchase!