Pokémon Scramble U Set To Be The First Wii U Title To Use The NFC Feature

Posted by Orla Madden

We can hear our wallets crying

The latest edition of CoroCoro magazine has released some new information on upcoming Pokémon title for the Wii U, Pokémon Scramble U. The game will be released in Japan on the 24th April, and it'll be the first title to utilize the console's NFC (Near Field Communication) feature.

NFC allows the player to place real-life objects — in this case, Pokémon figures — on the GamePad, and watch as it takes effect in-game. The figures will launch on the same day as the title, and will be available at Pokémon Center stores across Japan for 200 Yen (approx. £1.40 / €1.60 / $2). All 649 Pokémon from each generation will be featured in the game.

What are your thoughts on this? Would this have an effect on whether you purchase the game or not? Let us know in the comment section below.

[via serebii.net, siliconera.com]

erv

erv said:

There better be a great game, otherwise what good is it to buy an eventual 600 pokemon figurines for about 1200 dollars...?

I'm not a pokemon player, I just like the concept. But I do think this needs to be accompanied by a great game.

Pixel-Perfect

Pixel-Perfect said:

Definitely passing. I'm rarely tempted by the spin offs (Snap and Conquest are exceptions) and the added NFC is a turn off.

MAB

MAB said:

Needs a slogan change from 'catch em all' to 'stick em up' ;)

doctor_doak

doctor_doak said:

Well, we might need more info...but, I personally think this whole Skylanders thing is a massive con. Whatever happened to just paying $60 and getting your game....everything in the box... no strings attached?? Now publisher's are trying to milk you for every last cent while providing nothing more than a gimmick..

I would've hoped that Nintendo's NFC technology would be used for something more interesting than flogging pokemon figurines..

Late

Late said:

Just to remind everybody. No one said all the Pokémon will have figures, just that they appear in the game. As I said in one thread already, I don't have anything against it as long as I can get them through normal means as well.

It was said that the figures are trainable and you can record battle information on them but previous Rumble games didn't allow you to train your Pokémon. I'd think figure Pokémon just differ from normally obtainable and it isn't necessary to buy all the figures just to get all the Pokémon in the game.

I don't think this game will sell so well that they are absolutely sure to mass-produce 649 different figures just so they can be used in one game (they may be usable in other games later).

BenAV

BenAV said:

Yeah... I'm definitely not spending money on this.
It'd quickly become way too expensive.

Kirk

Kirk said:

Surely this should have been a main Pokemon game where they introduced the NFC Pokemon characters, no?

I mean come on, Nintendo.

Late

Late said:

@doctor_doak: Depends on how they'll use them. For now it seems like the figures are just used to battle as the Pokémon they represent. It may be that they're just some special Pokémon like the ones you can get with passwords in previous Rumble. If they're still obtainable in-game having no other differences than that it can't be trained and you can't store information then I don't see anything wrong with it. But it's very likely they will use them the wrong way and just use them like DLC.

Placlu

Placlu said:

It's not required tho, and aren't there only 6 of them? I don't see why people are complaining. It's there if you want it to be, unlike skylanders forcing it to be.
Hopefully this gets released here, the rumble games are really fun :D

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Skylanders franchise causing a new problem. So at least we can blame Activision for something else!

Romeo

Romeo said:

lame
not buying this game anyway, but this whole NFC thing is just annoying and lame

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

If its not easy and cheap to get em all (just 2 or 3 travels to store), I will be skipping it

Shane904

Shane904 said:

If it is a small amount of figurines (say six figurines) I'd say that's fine. If it is a Skylanders amount of figures, no thank you.

Edit: The game itself is 1800 yen, so $19 USD-ish. I have a feeling they'll come out with 15-20 figurines.

Haywired

Haywired said:

Feel a bit sorry for Skylanders now that history will inevitably be re-written to say that it totally ripped off Nintendo's innovation.

Romeo

Romeo said:

love nintendo, but hope they won't pull the same **** with smash bros.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

@sak904 they're coming out with 7 figures including Pikachu (possibly a pack-in with the first editiion?). Not that bad IMHO. This will increase demand for Wii U consoles and that can only be a good thing for everyone.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

There's going to be about 18 Arceus figures then, but I might collect the Pokemon I want (Ducklett)

Also, what about shiny Pokemon, if they were to include them, then the total amount about would be 1298, and with Pokemon X and Y, my wallet is going to be saying "While you catch them all, i'm going to lose it all!" with me replying "You can talk!?!?!"

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

i'll definitely be getting this game day one, I mean, who can pass up REAL-TIME pokemon combat?
as for figures, I'll probably just get my favs

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

Perfect, this is everything I've ever feared.

NFC is the next big thing in making gaming even more ridiculously expensive than we remembered it to be. Well, thanks a lot! I said in the NFC-related article that NFC and Pokémon would be a bad thing... and lo, here it is!

Exile20

Exile20 said:

Honestly this is so obvious and you can't blame Nintendo for doing it. It is too perfect for Pokemon. Anyway 649 * $2 = $1298, eh.

DashChargedShot

DashChargedShot said:

Not getting. Although, I wasn't geting it before the announcement, so not much of a difference. I have enough stuff to spendmy money on this year, so I probably won't be able to afford this.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

@Placlu I agree
It seems like it's more of an option then a requirement. Unless they're die-hard collectors (collect a bunch of Pokemon figurines regardless), it wouldn't be fair to compare it to skylander (NFC aside).

I'll buy it along with my top 10 if they do sell them all. Waiting for more details.

Bragoon

Bragoon said:

If the figures are good, I'll buy a whole bunch of them. At that price, though, they probably won't really be what I want.

Beta

Beta said:

Umm for those who think "figures coming with the game", it ain't happening, this is an eShop game.

Late

Late said:

Gotta say it once again. :) I'd wait for a confirmation if they're really required for the game and how many different kinds they're doing before jumping to conclusions. For now they might be just better versions of normal Pokémon since they're trainable unlike in previous Rumble games. And I'm not expecting them to make 649 different figures for a downloadable game which probably won't sell well enough to make great profit.

astroshamu

astroshamu said:

2 bucks seems like a reasonable price for me, and it's not for a full on Pokemon game so I think it's fine for this game

Kyloctopus

Kyloctopus said:

This makes some sort of sense being toys and all.
I would like to buy my Pokemon Party in Toy version. But I have no intention to "Buy 'em All"

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

Hopefully you wouldn't have to buy alot of them to get to play a majority of the game. I am strongly against having to pay extra just to be able to play all of the game.

ScreamoPichu

ScreamoPichu said:

Am I the only one who thinks it's a cool idea? When Pokemon Rumble first came out I thought there'd be real figurines. Of course, I wasn't a big fan of the original Rumble. But if this is priced right, has online multiplayer and more variety, I'll be pretty excited for it.

RCMADIAX

RCMADIAX said:

I cant wait until Animal Crossing U, you know thats the game NFC was created for.

Eien1239

Eien1239 said:

Eh I swear last week people was like nintendo better use NFC with pokemon. You was not going to get an coliseum games anytime soon be realistic. I am so confused, anyway we will see if this blows up in japan. Better uses of NFC to be used later.

bluecat

bluecat said:

Need more info on this but I can see this quickly becoming very expensive. And what about storing all those figures!?

Melkaticox

Melkaticox said:

Oh, I'm so not buying this.

When you make it look like a 8th gen game and upgrade its battle system, I will buy your 600+ dolls, Game Freak.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

The price is ok, I'm definitely not catching them all, but if It's a good game I'll go get a round of my party pokemon or something like that.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

@melkaticox This isnt made by Game Freak, and I doubt they'll ever go and apply this on the main series, except for some event-like pokes maybe. And I hope this poke dolls are universal and not only for this particular rumble game.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Sorry for posting three times but it seems not all pokemons will get toys. They are releasing 7 figures the day the game releases so it's hard to thing they'll complete all 649.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

Hopefully the figurines don't have to be in contact the whole time. It would be really awkward trying to keep them balanced on the gamepad while you played.

rjejr

rjejr said:

There seems to be a much conjecture a fact on this page.

649 or 7 Pokemon? (can they be rounded to the same number?)
retail or eShop?
required or optional?

Do we even know if this is releasing outside of Japan?

Think I'll hold off on making a purchase decision.

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

I thought for sure this was going to be something like Pokémon Snap 2. :( I like the idea but 649 characters will be ridiculous.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

If you have to buy a bunch of figures, I'm not interested in the game at all. Pokemon Rumble/Scramble is only worth $15-20 in the first place, being a fairly simple game. Tacking on additional fees raises the price above what I'm willing to pay.

kitsunetails8

kitsunetails8 said:

I want this game but I don't wanna be part of this NFC fad. I only hope that they DON'T release it in the west so I have an excuse to save money. If not they better come with a code for Club Nintendo to make up for it.

DarkKirby

DarkKirby said:

I'm predicting there is is 100% chance there will not be a Gardevoir figure, so I don't care.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

As long as these are completely optional I don't see the problem. I've seen little 2"-3" figurines selling for $4-$5 so these might not be all too bad. Nintendo seems to be one of the few companies left these days that still holds their IP to high standards so I don't see them going too overboard (still ready to eat my hat though).

What baffles me are the people who say they'd be fine with trading cards but draw the line at figurines, what exactly is the difference between the two as far as collecting goes? If your talking about TCGs you still have to buy enough to build a deck, and spend just as much if not more trying to get enough of one particular card.

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

I, for one, am just uninterested. I can already store my training on actual game carts and Infinity is already enough for me, plus they'll either make a huge chunk of Pokémon not-as-figurines or there will just be way too many to get a complete collection. Pass.

nomeacuerdo

nomeacuerdo said:

Sounds nice, and my wallet is relieved that I don't like Pokemon at all. As someone said, if it helps to sell consoles, it's good for everybody.

Boofonater001

Boofonater001 said:

Nintendo has said countless times that anything that you have to pay extra for won't keep you from completing the base game. So I think to just complete the game without catching all the Pokemon won't keep you from completing it. On the other hand, if you want to complete the game with all the Pokemon caught 100% you will have to get the figures that aren't in the game

Boofonater001

Boofonater001 said:

@Jukilum they probably won't it will probably be set up that you put them on for a few seconds and when your battle ends you put them back on to save the data to them just like tap and share on phones