Nintendo Reveals Flipnote Studio For The 3DS eShop

Posted by Orla Madden

Holy flip!

During a Japanese only mini Nintendo Direct, President Satoru Iwata announced that Flipnote Studio 3D was on the way for the 3DS eShop in Japan. It's said to be more powerful than its predecessor, and the free base application will be available from the eShop this coming Summer.

The app will allow users to make 3D animations with up to three layers of depth and artists can now use up to six colours for their creations. These animations can be exported in AVI and GIF format allowing an easier way of sharing your work.

You can share your work of art with your registered friends on your 3DS for free — however, if you wish to share it online through the Hatena World Flipnote Gallery community, Nintendo will charge a small fee and offer a free 30-day trial.

We hope it's not too long before a Western announcement, but we can pass the time with the original Flipnote Studio from the DSiWare Shop.

[via polygon.com, polygon.com]

Shock_Tart

Shock_Tart said:

haha i remember them saying this was going to come out shortly after the 3ds came out as an app for it. took them long enough

Late

Late said:

Finally I can experience Flipnote! Never could even try the one on DSi because all my friends only had DS Lite like me.

KAHN

KAHN said:

i invested a lot of time into drawing and posting mine online, but then i realized i suck, so when i get this one, i'll be using it to kill time as i flip through notes.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Yes! I've been waiting for this! And the fact that its free is even better. :3 I see a huge sharing thread on NL because nobody wants to pay. :P

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I was wondering the other day when Flipnote Studio II was coming to 3DS, glad to see Nintendo has hired psychics recently ;) I'll probably download it just to see other's creations as I lack both the talent & the drive to spend time on anything in Flipnote Studio haha plus I gotta delegate my time to other games :p

JulienIsTheMan

JulienIsTheMan said:

Awesome! There were only a few things that made the DSi worth it for me, and this was one of the main ones.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

I wonder how much the online service will be, and how often the payment reoccurs.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm probably going to pay for the online service if it comes westward...

But, Hooray! It's about time we got some info on Flipnote Studio 3D!

DePapier

DePapier said:

HOLY FLIP!!! Now does that mean the 3DS will be able to read GIF files? 'Cause then I definitely putting that "My Body Is Ready" animation into it. :D

Justaguest

Justaguest said:

I´ve had enough of that but I certainly loved it and made a lot of kids laugh on Hatena.

DePapier

DePapier said:

It tells of how Nintendo plans to apply the freemium model in the future, though, if they end up doing it at all: you can join your friends online for free, but to join the entire world you have to pay a small fee after a 30-day trial. Iwata once said that the Wii U could have some kind of XBox Live stuff in the future, but this way to implement it is, just like the DLCs in Fire Emblem, the healthy Nintendo way to do it. :)
Even as a business I love Nintendo.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

Hopefully it comes to the West also in summer!
Will AVI format have sounds as well?
I hope there's some way to use sound files other than what can be recorded through the mic.

SheldonRandoms

SheldonRandoms said:

That's great news, Sheldon and Mr.Randoms will finally be in 3D, but I also heard that the DSi versions online will shut down, is this true, I really hope not, because I've spent many hours posting there, with camera animations and Sheldon and Mr.Randoms flipnotes.

Also the randomness will continue, in 3D and in color, here's some examples of my randomness and camera animations, if anybody cares (Sorry, i'm just very excited for this)

Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

RedYoshi999

RedYoshi999 said:

I still don't see why this app is so great (I can't draw) but at least people can stop complaining about it now.

Lilifish

Lilifish said:

For what I understood, they will close Hatena Flipnote service and launch new galleries.

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

if it's a one time fee and not a per-month fee, sure!
then again, if I can just browse the online stuff thru my 3ds for free that'd be fine too

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

About time!!! Now I can finally make some toons. If there aren't any extra fees such as the ones @Marioman64 mentioned in the above comment, this is a day-one for me.

KingDunsparce

KingDunsparce said:

I can't wait! I loved hatena! And I liked the Flipnote in the Direct where the Bulborb is slaughtered by Pikmin >:3

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

I guess by charging a fee to upload to the online gallery hatena & nintendo hope it will cut down on the spam & stuff. Sounds like a good idea. ;)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Americasteam

Americasteam said:

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!! YEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHH!!!! Oh man I am soooo excited!!!!!!!

Dpishere

Dpishere said:

I wonder if we will get it for free too, though I am a terrible artist so I don't think I could make too much use of it.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I have heard quite a few good things about Flipnote. I'm glad to see the 3DS is finally getting this series. Too bad I am a horrible artist.

Terave

Terave said:

I'm glad we finally get some more news on the new Flipnote Studio, because it has been a while since they announced it. I can't wait to try it out. :)

DonnaxNL

DonnaxNL said:

Also announced for the west! Will be available in summer :D
(4 years after the original one :P)

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

It's a shame that the fee exists, but I'm kinda glad that it's there. Remember the petitions for Super Smash Bros. DS and other ludicrous things, and the shameless copies of others' animations? The fee is probably there to cut out the people that do those things. I hope that everyone serious about making great animations is willing to pay the fee. I hope it's free to just watch. That's mostly what I'll be doing.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Yay! Exciting news! I loved using Flipnote on my DSi, which I no longer own. Is there a fee to just view the online content, or is it for sharing? Nonetheless, very good news indeed. :D

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

I remember it for the DS, I had 1000 fans! Im so getting this. best 3ds eshop app ever!

AzureFashionist

AzureFashionist said:

Best of both worlds. 3DS users crying out in triumph and DSi users suddenly developing suicidal tendencies over the termination of the current Flipnote Hatena... I only wish I was kidding about that second statement. Just went to the site to see how its doing and... Its not pretty...

Sukichi-D

Sukichi-D said:

im happy for all those who can afford a 3ds and can actually make flipnotes for once but I was a flipnote hatena user of the dsi system and that was my only way to make flips...I don't under stand why they have to shut down the current app for dsi and replace it on 3ds...I guess I liked hatenaa little to much but it was the only way for me to express my feelings through art with the world...I made a lot of friends on hatena...and about the whole paying plan?ive lost ALL respect for hatena...it used to be free...now a monthly paying plan just to post...unless your popular,then its free...the poor keep losing money while the rich keep on gaining...and the reason they are shutting dsi down for 3ds is 1.)money...2.)the first time they opened the app for 3ds all thee dsi users mostly stayed on dsi without converting to 3ds...so this way to continue hatena you have to pay for a 3ds AND monthly charges...ive been working my butt off to save hatena...I cant see why we cant have both...I hope you all enjoy yourselves why all the thousands of dsi users around the world suffer...some of the best creators I ever knew are quitting...ill never see their art or talk to them EVER again...be happy but....when they come out with an even better system then 3ds and end flipnote memo for something expensiver and better...you will all KNOW OUR PAIN.....I hope your happy with yourselves. ~Sukichi D.,previous hatena user

Henmii

Henmii said:

Now THIS was a looooooong way coming! Is it finally arriving this time?! It's free, so I guess I'll download it when it arrives!

Gilius

Gilius said:

I thought this was suppose to be out when 3DS first arrived. Nintendo letter was sort of a lame idea. You had to have friends to talk to. Good thing I did. -wipes sweat off forehead-

FudgeNugget

FudgeNugget said:

I thought it’d be out long ago. I heard rumors that in Flipnote Studio 3D would practically only let you share flips with your friends, this made me sad and made me think FS3D could even be Swapnote, but now it’s clear that I was so wrong. AND NOW AM SO FRIGGIN’ SURPRISED OMG. So you have to pay a fee to share your flips with the world? Or if you get popular it’ll be free? Or what’s going on?
Please leave replies, got no friggin’ idea. ._.

FudgeNugget

FudgeNugget said:

@Sukichi-D True. Why can’t we have both? Like really, all the Hatena thing for nothing? MILLIONS of flipnotes were uploaded to the DSi Hatena and now they’re gonna be erased, wow. I was also an user. But, take this from the GOOD side, you can purchase a 3DS that’s so much better than a DSi and add all your DSi FH friends that have a 3DS, no probs, you share your flips with them. Why be sad? After all, it’ll be…hmmmm…not the same but practically alike. See? Not bad at all, amIrite?

BUT yea all those peeps who can’t purchase a 3DS. :( I feel sad for them, you can still make flips but not share them and for these that didn’t even experience what was sharing flipnotes. BUT THERE WAS PEOPLE WHO SCAMMED AND PEOPLE WHO OBEYED THEIR SCAMS. Tubad. Bai!

FudgeNugget

FudgeNugget said:

People who have a 3DS are surely excited because of new colors and stuffy stuff happy I have one :D