There's Hope For Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance On Wii U Yet

Posted by Andy Green

If Konami sees demand for it, there could be a port

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance is a high octane mix of swordplay, gunfire and stealth action in which you take control of Raiden, the man who first made an appearance in Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty. It's being developed by both Platinum Games and Kojima Productions and is due out this month on PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Ever since the Wii U came into existence people have been wondering whether or not Nintendo gamers would get to play the latest game in the Metal Gear Solid series. However last year the series creator Hideo Kojima put all the rumours to bed by saying the developers were not currently thinking about bringing the highly anticipated title to Wii U.

Those rumours have now been coaxed out of bed once more, as JP Kellams of Platinum Games has told an avid fan over Twitter that there may yet still be some hope for a Wii U version.

So it seems if Konami can be convinced that there's enough demand for a Wii U port, Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance could well end up on the new system. Chances are slim, but hope remains.

What are your thoughts on Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance? Would you buy it if it came to Wii U? Let us know in the comments below.

[via twitter.com, gonintendo.com]

Chrono_Cross

Chrono_Cross said:

By the time it's ported it'll be too late. If anything, Nintendo fans should be begging for a Ground Zeroes multi-platform release when its day one release arrives.

Logic is null nowadays.

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

I would like it to happen, but I would have probably gotten the game on PS3 before it even gets announced for Wii U, so yeah...

alandd

alandd said:

Is anyone slightly worried about the lack of
Positive responses from major 3rd party players?

DefHalan

DefHalan said:

Well I would love to see both Rising Revengeance and Ground Zero for Wii U. Even if the only special thing about them on Wii U is off-tv play

Shanksta

Shanksta said:

I'll probably buy it eventually for PS3, due to MGS and Uncharted games being the only reasons I got one(other than I needed a bluray player). For all other gaming purposes Nintendo is my one and only.
However if either Ground Zeroes or Revengeance come to WiiU before I get a chance to pick them up on PS3, I'll be there. I just don't really care one way or another since most of the games I want that are coming out are on WiiU. Wonderful 101, Bayonetta 2, New Mario game, etc.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I hope so. It's a fun mindless game going off the demo. More people should be able to play it.

Ground Zeroes should be more important to fans right now.

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

Honestly, I have no interest in this game as it is. I thought the demo was terrible, and two friends agreed with me. That said, a Wii U port could really help a lot. This game seems like it was actually made with the Wii U in mind, (touch and motion controls seem like obvious improvements). Of course, I think it has more problems than just the controls that would need to be fixed. Right now, it really doesn't live up to the title of Metal Gear, nor does it live up to the expectations of a game made by Platinum, and it would take more than just new controls to fix that.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

Played the demo on 360 and I want it BAD. Feels like a spiritual follow-up to VANQUISH, but with sword-play replacing guns. I want this, GROUND ZERO, and MGS:4 for Wii U. I think the GamePad is tailor made for Kojima games. (SNATCHER 1 & 2 for it please!)

HiroshiYamauchi

HiroshiYamauchi said:

Jesus, nowadays publishers are so lazy, all of them want the demand to be there, instead of creating a demand for their own games...Publishers don't have to wait and see if the consumers want something, they need to make people want their products, what happened to hype and advertisment?

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@HiroshiYamauchi It all costs money and time. It's easy to talk like this but imagine going shopping for food, paying and then the store telling you you can't take the food home but it will keep your money. How often would you go to the store after that? Demand matters. (Nintendo platform is the store, buying food is investing in the platform with a game like this).

AltDotNerd

AltDotNerd said:

I would prefer Ground Zeroes over Revengeance. Not to shake the cages of Raiden fans, but Raiden SUCKS! (compared to Snake/Big Boss)

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

That's totally me.

Why all the negativity for this idea? Totally understand if you didn't like the demo or what have you. I don't see how them later releasing this for the Wii U would be "too late" for anything. If they announced plans now, I bet plenty of people would hold off for the Gamepad functionality and the promise of having an additional game to play on their new system. For a new system, the Wii U's third-party line up for 2013 isn't terrible, but nonetheless, MGR:R wouldn't have a ton of competition on this system if it came out later this year. I also think there are is a sizable sample of Metal Gear fans who only own Nintendo consoles and would like to see it return.

As for the people who say "I'd prefer Ground Zeroes/Phantom Pain" - why not all of the above?

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

@Shrapmo Cool, I'll sign it, though a 100 signatures goal isn't very ambitious and probably won't do much to convince Konami.

CaPPa

CaPPa said:

I'm not a Metal Gear fan but I'd buy Revengence on Wii U simply because it's by Platinum (and I've loved all their games so far).

My general view now though is unless I really want a game (for example I recently bought DOA5 on PS3 as I'm a big DOA fan) that I'll ignore it if there isn't a Wii U version. There will be too many 'must buy' games on Wii U, 3DS and PS3 for me to worry about 'maybe buys' anyway.

Fillytase

Fillytase said:

@CaPPa I'm in the same boat, I buy everything PG* makes. And with The Wonderful 101 and Bayonetta 2 coming to the Wii U, I'm sure there are a lot of other PG* fans in the console's install base.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Would be interesting to see MGR on Wii U considering the game is developed by Platinum Games and PG themselves are in good terms with Nintendo as well as Hideo Kojima (who begged for Solid Snake to be in Super Smash Bros. Melee but got into Brawl instead). Though I doubt we'll see a port, at least PG is still working to bring Bayonetta 2 for Wii U and hopefully a Madworld 2 as well.

luminalace

luminalace said:

I doubt it. I would rather hope that Ground Zeroes launces SAME DAY on Wii U. A late port while better than nothing isn't likely to sell and will give Konami a further excuse to dismiss the Wii U.

SagiMewtwo

SagiMewtwo said:

I'd definitely grab it on the Wii U, though it depends on if the game is any good. I didn't really enjoy the demo though I'm hoping that the gameplay has been fixed since then.

Kage_88

Kage_88 said:

I'd be stoked if it came to Wii U. Nintendo needs more Metal Gear games, especially considering Kojima's admiration for the company - and the fact that Platinum are already releasing two exclusive titles.

Plus, using the touchscreen to slice enemies would be ace!

PinkSpider

PinkSpider said:

@sagimewtwo why on on earth if u didn't like it on Xbox would u think the Wii U version would be better or any different. If anything the statistics for good ports on the Wii U is terrible and most likely be an inferior version with shoddy frame rates and less detail.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

I'd like it to happen. I'd probably buy it if it's good.
I agree with some people here that they should bring Ground Zeroes or even Phantom Pain.

Nukarmer

Nukarmer said:

I would definitely buy it on Wii U. Can't see why they don't bring the game to it.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

@PinkSpider SagiMewtwo means that he didn't like the demo but hopes that the full game is better, which is fair, but it's not likely that it has been changed much aside from general tweaking.

Le_Gazman

Le_Gazman said:

I've got it preordered on 360. I'm not going to stop buying new games in the hope they appear on Wii U. Especially as by the time thu do appear on Wii U for £50 they are half that price on 360!

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

I hope it does but it should have been at the same time as the other versions. I am very concerned about WiiU and multiplatform games. This is not the way to go.

I'd like that all Platinum and Grasshopper games made it to WiiU.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

By "not enough demand" they're probably referring to the 3DS's port of MGS3 poor reception, despite the series's lack of exposure on Nintendo platforms to begin with and poor handling of the game's release. Thats usually what developers mean when they say that sorta thing.

MGR is exactly the sort of game Nintendo needs to push for if the wants to grab core gamers' attention, especially multi-platform owners.

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

i would love rising on the Wii U we need to spread the word people because think about it if there is enough call for it and we git rising on Wii U we might get ground zeros too and maybe some of the older ones too

maybe i could start a twitter trend something like #MGRisingforWiiU

Ed_Rod

Ed_Rod said:

we need to voice this to them. Konami and Platinum. also i'm starting to tweet rockstar games to request GTAV too

FullbringIchigo

FullbringIchigo said:

hey everyone i sent #MGRisingforWiiU to the man himself hideo kojima on twitter maybe that will get the ball rolling

DarkAngel_17

DarkAngel_17 said:

By the time they will decide to bring the game or not to Wii U, will be 2015 and it won't be needed anymore. Bloody Capcom, always leave Nintendo behind!

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@Zombie_Barioth

For me it was also bad timing. If you had both the 3DS and a PS360, it was a no brainer to get the Collection instead, which included 3 games (one of them being MGS3) with HD graphics, trophies and an easier controller configuration out of the box, for the same price.

I would rather have seen Konami/Kojima actually making something new (akin to Capcom making Revelations instead of porting RE5 on 3DS) so many MGS would have gone out of their way to get a 3DS just for it.

As is customary with me and these ports: it is ok if they release it, but I won't lose sleep if they don't. I even doubt I would get the PS3 version anyway.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@sinalefa Yea, it didn't help that they didn't really advertise the game much at all or even a release date. Heck I wouldn't even have known about it at all if it wasn't for sites like this, it was if they were actually trying to hide it so people would buy the HD collection instead.

Even the Vita got the collection (sans Peacewalker) and all three were the subsistence versions, while MGS3 3D was a rather sloppy port.

SilverSeraph

SilverSeraph said:

I would buy it. In fact, I wish the whole series would get an HD port to the Wii U with off screen play.

Konami you ported the PS2 games to PS3, come on and port them to Wii U! And Ground Zeros and Phantom Pain too! The series started with Nintendo after all.

Goku

Goku said:

i would like a MGR for the WiiU just like when they had a MG on the GameCube

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

I like the Metal Gear series but Rising isn't the game to be concerned about not getting, that would be Ground Zeroes, the real upcoming MG game.

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

I think it's pretty bad when gamers have to do the leg work to get the games they want to play on the systems they own. I know taking a risk on a new or unknown title is not the smartest thing to do but you are talking about a Metal Gear based title. I have no doubt that there is a market for this game on the WiiU.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

No thanks, Metal Gear is beyond overrated. Possibly one of my least favorite franchises.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Waveboy wrote:

Mind elaborating on that a bit? Its not like the series is made of gold or anything but it not exactly undeserving of its popularity either (it did pioneer the stealth genre after, so I suppose its held in a similar regard as OOT or SM64.)

You of all people better not be complaining about the cheesieness.:P

DrSlump

DrSlump said:

I got a ps3 and a wii u. I would buy it if there would good reasons to do so. If the wii u version would have good graphics enhancement, good use of big pad and a price not so higher than the ps3, it would be a good deal for me.

hydeks

hydeks said:

seems kinda stupid to get yet another game later on :P Would be cool, but it would have been better to come on when the rest of them did.

Banker-Style

Banker-Style said:

I wouldn't mind it,but you know what'll happen,that same old nutshell.

Wii U Price £50
Other versions £20

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

While I do admit that supply sometimes is met with the demand from gamers, it's a shame we always seem to have to sign contracts in blood to get devs to bring hit games to a Nintendo system. Just bring it on over.

But if my words count as "demand" ... sigh... then, "Yes Konami, Melo Man would like this game on the Wii U, thank you."

Better now?

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

No they dont have to port this, if they wanted to bring this game they had to do it from day one, id rather have the New Metal gear solid coming to the wiiU, that would be awesome, they had snake in SSB, so it would be a proper thing to do, because the game will sell bigtime.

Patpadi

Patpadi said:

WOOOHOOOOOOO I'M GOING TO EAT A CHAIR IF METAL GEAR RISING REVENGEANCE COMES TO WII U!!!