It Doesn't Look Like Bungie's Next Epic Is Coming To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Halo creator keeps silent on Nintendo version

Former Halo studio Bungie has revealed more information about its next project — including hints about the platforms it is coming to — but sadly it would appear that the Wii U won't be getting any action.

Destiny is being billed as a "shared-world" shooter, and has a strong focus on co-operative play. It also showcases a persistent world and support for lots of players — elements which have led many to brand it a "next gen" Massively Multiplayer Online (MMO) experience.

Speaking to Eurogamer, Bungie COO Pete Parsons and Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg gave some indication of which platforms the game will be released on:

"You'll definitely be playing on Xbox and you'll definitely be playing on PlayStation," Parsons said.

Activision Publishing boss Eric Hirshberg added: "Until there are official announcements from the first parties obviously we can't comment on any platforms that might be forthcoming, but what we can say is we are building Destiny to be wherever gamers are." He later insisted Activision's approach is "platform agnostic".

On the possibility of a PC version, Parsons said: "We would absolutely love to be on the PC. If you talk to the people upstairs, we play it on all platforms. So, stay tuned." No mention was made of a Wii U version.

You can read more about the game over at Eurogamer.

Are you surprised that the Wii U hasn't been mentioned in relation to Destiny? Would you be keen to play this potentially cutting-edge sci-fi adventure? Post a comment to tell us.

[via eurogamer.net]

EaZy_T

EaZy_T said:

No mention was made, but did they ask about a Wii U version specifically? Off to read the linked articles...

edit: They said the engine is designed for 'this gen, next gen and next next gen' and will have a mobile release. I'd guess it could release on the Wii U without much effort...
The game sounds interesting, but I'm not sure it's ten years (the planned length) interesting.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I'm not really surprised. They've played up how important the online component is all through development, and I'm not sure Nintendo's online infrastructure would be open enough for it.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Game was workers on six years for Dour platforms kind of hard to just throw on a fifth. Game isn't set for this year though and activation does like money.

star-fox

star-fox said:

We Nintendo gamers like to whip ourselves into unnecessary frenzy. Games like this tend not to come to a Nintendo system even at the height of the Wii boom (forget the causal console nonsense).

Well, I hope that the hubris being displayed will not come back to haunt them ala 38 studios. Well.......let us wait and see

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

There's some source code somewhere that suggest they ARE making it for the Wii U as well as BOTH the current gen and next gen Sony and XBox consoles. Vita too.

DePapier

DePapier said:

You know the biz anyway: once the platform will be booming, and especially if the next PS and Xbox fail to impress with all that pressure, devs will start reading Iwata Asks and make games for the Wii U.

arrmixer

arrmixer said:

Well that was a good commercial. Hopefully all this talk will be backed up with a good game..

Bankai

Bankai said:

This wouldn't surprise me. Bungie has next to no experience in working with Nintendo or Nintendo platforms. Why go to the ADDITIONAL expense in training everyone up and working overtime to support a platform that barely sells?

gavn64

gavn64 said:

hope it makes it to wiiu bungie started the fps boom(sadly) with halo and between the original and reach none of those other lame fps imitators have even came close to there majesty

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

This wouldn't bother me. Bungie are one of the most overrated developers around. They had a fluke with the original Halo (even though it was far from a perfect game) and the sequels got progressively worse. It's hardly the end of the world if they don't make games for Wii U.

Kagamine

Kagamine said:

Ya i honestly don't care. I don't really like First Person Shooters anyway. As far as FPSs go, Halo is definately not in my top 10, so for me no big loss.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Bankai It's comments like that that make me wonder why you even post here!?!? Is it your goal to wild up Nintendo fans?!?! Let's look at how well PS3 sold its first year! Oh wait I did the work for you 5,552,000. I'm going to guess that Nintendo has a good shot at passing that!

Bankai

Bankai said:

@Tech101 what does Sony have to do with it?

Sony had a poor first couple of years for the same reason Nintendo has started off poorly - there's not enough consoles in people's hands to justify spending big money on it. If you don't like that, then go set up a studio and make a game that costs you $10 million to port to the Wii U.

You won't enjoy breaking the news to your hundreds of employees that they all are now out of work because the game failed to turn a profit, though.

I don't say it to be nasty, but to state a basic reality of business - you don't make stuff that can't possibly sell enough to turn a profit.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Bankai My point was that if people had the same philosophy as your talking about in your first post the PS3 should've been dead years ago. Plus you're bashing the sales of the Wii U which is going along at about the same pace as the PS3. Would you have said the same thing about Sony's system in it first 4 months?

Bankai

Bankai said:

@Tech101 um, yes? I say the same thing about the Vita now.

Numbers don't really lie, see. Businesses don't really care about these console wars and such. They just want to make the most amount of money while spending as little as possible to do it.

Supporting consoles with irrelevant install bases is expensive and not typically profitable. I'm not 'bashing' anything. I am not even stating an opinion here. I am relaying a simple fact.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Bankai Well with that philosophy its a wonder why any systems get off to a running start. Most systems don't sell well their first year sometimes second as well. If the game is good and is released on a system with little to choose from then it could be a mass hit.

If we take your approach then the gaming industry would've died off many years ago due to the fact nobody wanted to take a chance on a new system and just made games for the old ones. We should all be still playing Sega and Nintendo only then right?

DeepFried35

DeepFried35 said:

@Bankai

Yet developers who are not even tied to a specific console will go knee deep into development for consoles that aren't even released yet? Those console, just like the PS3 & Xbox360 started off with 0 install base and they developed in the hope the install base would pick up, partly using their game as a good reason to pick up that particular platform, yet they won't support the Wii U the same way.

The fact is as Tech101 stated, the Wii U is selling as well, if not better than any console on release, excluding the Wii obviously but that was an anomaly, so there is NO excuse for developers not to support it now. The console has HD graphics now and if they make games properly coded for the Wii U it will be better than PS3/Xbox360 as Criterion has now proven and they didn't even code ground up. They have all the control option plus some more for Wii U so there's no excuse on that front. Saying they can't make something specific for the touchscreen or utilise it properly is just another bullpoop reason for lazy butt developers clutching at straws.

The reality is that Nintendo's platforms havn't had as good third party support is because developers keep ignoring a perfectly viable platform and make ridiculous excuses. As I've stated before it's all about the money. When did gamers/developers get so delusional and forget what gaming was all about in the first place, making amazing games for people to enjoy. Ignoring one particular demographic goes against everything a game creator should be about.

Bankai

Bankai said:

@CDreams developers are staffed by people who have families to feed and run by people who have shareholders that give them huge amounts of money to be able to make amazing games.

I will never understand why people think that companies should stop acting like companies when it comes to the games industry. We are talking multi-million dollar projects and hundreds of lives. You would have to be a very selfish person to expect a company to bankrupt itself to suit you.

And frankly I have more sympathy for the people who actually understand business and work hard to keep their staff in gainful employment while giving me games to play, than some random dude with no clear understanding of the business consditions these games are being made under having a whinge on a Internet forum because he didn't get the proverbial lollipop from the supermarket.

Regarding launches. The trick to getting third party support for a launch when there isn't the economic reasons to support the new console is for the platform holder to offer incentives to the third parties. Whether that is co-marketing campaigns, or even taking over the distribution of the game (as Nintendo has done for numerous games in the Wii U launch window), the point is - that support for a new console by third parties? It's either paid for, or really cheap to achieve - such as a 'lazy' port.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I bet the working title for this game was "Sphere" as the Halo developers idea of something new.

SDDMN

SDDMN said:

@Tech101 @Bankai

Ichigo Kurosaki vs Kenshin Himura! Shinigami vs Battousai! Ready, fight!

Joking aside, I'm iffy when it comes to MMOs, so I'm not 100% sure I'd buy this even if it was coming to the Wii U.

DeepFried35

DeepFried35 said:

@Bankai

I wasn't disputing businesses paying for support, what I was disputing was why there was no mention of it on Wii U, there's no reason officially anyway why it's not been mentioned for Wii U and for that matter PC.

If Sony and MS are paying for it to come to their new console at launch then fair enough, however your continued reasoning about certain games not coming to the Wii U because it's selling poorly is utter bullpoopy. The console isn't selling crap and using that as a reason for a game not to release on the platform is just that, an excuse. All consoles sell pretty slowly at launch and slowly but surely pick up, I'll ignore the Vita sales here, but in general that's how it works. The console launches, there's usually a dry patch as games get finished off or new ones developed, maybe after a good 6 months do we start to see quality titles release and it starts to pick up.

So again I'll go back to the fact that if there is no Wii U version and if they say it's because there is no install base to justify it, then it's rubbish. It's that simple.

*** Oh and by the way Bankai, despite making money being the end goal for these developers to pay bills and feed their families as you put it, it's a pretty horrible world if that's your answer to every debate on here. I'd like to think of people as having a bit of heart and soul wanting to create art for people to enjoy. Making business decisions that exclude people for petty reasons isn't an inspiring trait in humanity I'd like to support. I say petty reasons because I'm pretty sure there's other ways to make games that don't involve money as the overall deciding factor, there has to be a balance, doing it for the passion and making it commercially viable. Unfortunately I find a lot of things are made just for the financial part and it's sad because I'm sure when these developers go home and think about some of the decisions they've made, like rushing games out that are utter crap, Aliens: CM is a perfect example, I'm sure they're questioning why they're actually doing it in the first place.

gavn64

gavn64 said:

bankai why cant you excepth tech's argument which makes sense the wiiu is in the ps3 position just after launch and that console is doing okay now your not a fanboy are ye?

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Bankai I do agree about the lazy port. It's more of a here you go you get to play that as well but I'm talking about good quality games here. If the game is good more times then not it will sell no matter what the system or console life. We lost some good companies over the past few years and from what I recall it wasn't because they were developing for a low installer base either!

If I'm a programmer and my boss tells me ok we are developing a game for the Wii U I'm not going to go oh crap I hope I have a job in a few months after release. I go in saying ok how do we make this the best game ever on any system! Yes the bottom line is always money not pleasing any specific system. You can do both and be successful!

DeepFried35

DeepFried35 said:

@Tech101

Exactly and I'm glad you said that, nice to see a developer with some integrity and doing it for the love of it. As you say I understand money has to be made but I think like Criterion will hopefully show, make a great game with full commitment and you'll reap the rewards.

I feel a lot of the bad sales on Wii where due to sloppy ports or just awful games, but they use it as an excuse to then slag off the Wii when the reality is, even despite it's lower tech, they could have made amazing games for the platform as Nintendo proved time and time again.

I like to think of myself as a pretty logical kind of guy and I'm good at seeing flaws in things but also the positives. Now I 100% agree the Wii U isn't perfect and needs improvements with the sometimes slow user interface, improvements to the VC and backwards compatibility etc, however I can also see the massive potential in the console with features like Miiverse, the touchscreen for accessibility, even just the games Nintendo will be bringing to the table itself. I can't honestly comprehend a developer/publisher sitting there saying that the machine isn't good enough to support.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

Watched the trailer... so Halo meets Gears of War. Oh boy, so creative!

I looks like Halo with a different shell on it. If it comes to Wii U, great. If it doesn't, great. The chance of me paying any more than $5 for this on Steam, 1%. I don't need more than FPS in my life. Until you can top Left 4 Dead, just don't bother me with this repetitive junk.

IxnayontheCK

IxnayontheCK said:

I dont give a doodoo about this game, but for the WiiU to seem relavent it needs 3rd party support like this.

Knux

Knux said:

Possibly a pretty big loss for the Wii U, because the concept of this game looks amazing.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

It will be great to see it on the Wii U, but ill most likely buy it for the PS3 anyway to play with more of muly friends.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Bankai
The same could be said for the next Xbox and Playstation. The architectures would probably be different from the 360 and PS3, so they'd have to learn how to use those consoles as well. In addition to that, those new consoles could also "barely sell" when they launch. So why make a version for those two new consoles?

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

if they bring it to the wiiU i will buy it, if not then its their loss then i wont buy it lol.
i love the wiiU, the controller is just mindblowing, and i know that nintendo has something up their sleeves.

gsnap

gsnap said:

The Wii U definitely needs a big 3rd party game like this, but at the same time, I can't say I'm very excited about it, or that I would even buy it.

nungi

nungi said:

Yes the wii u need 3rd party support and not some garbage port that they thunk they could just label and look sumport.you make garbage don't make it for the wii u make it elsewhere.how many games they made that was good for the wii...never heard of them and until these so call developers trying something you have to try harder for my 65.00

GameLord08

GameLord08 said:

There were numerous Nintendo references during the concept video, as well as the whole murmur about the source code reveal. I'd say the chances of this coming to the Wii U aren't to be written off yet at all.

Perhaps they're trying to resolve how to adapt this game to the Wii U's design mechanics before revealing it too soon. Maybe it'll be revealed in a gameplay video following not too long after.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

I really don't care, as long as it's on PC. I prefer my shooters and my MMOs on PC, and this seems to be like both, so I'd definitely go PC on this one. I loved Bungie's earlier work, so I'm quite excited about this game.

JohnPhilipSousa

JohnPhilipSousa said:

I really hope that whatever they were doing with that iPhone works with Windows Phone too, but I doubt it will.

hydeks

hydeks said:

it'ld be nice if once coming on this site it said "this game IS coming to the system" :P

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Third party games, especially those geared towards hardcore shooter fans, sell poorly on Nintendo's platforms. If the rumours are that Destiny will come along with a monthly online fee, I doubt Bungie would even break even releasing this on Wii U.

gsnap

gsnap said:

Honestly, for Wii U's sake, this is the game that needs to come to Wii U. This game alone could shift perception of Nintendo from being kiddie and no 3rd party support. If this game came out on Wii U and was successful, then it could effectively shut 3rd parties up about how their games don't sell on Nintendo consoles. So yeah, I'm hoping that happens.

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Oh thank God. Halo is really the steamiest pile of FPS garbage to ever come out. Please, Bungee, keep your junk away from Nintendo's systems.

Neram

Neram said:

A big multiplatform third-party title not being released on the Wii U? Geez, what a surprise that is.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

I like the look of this game and the Bungie devs have to be itching to do something more creative and brave. I don't see the quotes as suggesting anything one way or the other on Wii U. Hope it comes. I also hope the heavy co-op focus gets the Wii U special: two players no split screen.

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

@aaronsullivan This is a MMO - not your average shooter. You can almost certainly rule out any local co-op. Instead, you'll most likely (or better yet, almost certainly) be paying a monthly fee to access the online servers.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I like the art style but that's about it. I'm not into FPS games or MMOs so it doesn't look like this game is for me.

MEGAMAN_D

MEGAMAN_D said:

gimme metroid prime 4 anyday.

also I don't like co-op fps's, so this bothers me not

Sp00n

Sp00n said:

Does the game seem a little xenophobic to anybody else?

"Strange new life has taken place... You are the last beacon of civilsation". Not human civilisation, but civilisation period.

I mean, it looks just like another FPS and the storyline equates to 'shoot the evil aliens'... So why do we care that it might not be coming?

Oh, right, there is some myth of a golden age and some long gone super powerful god aliens.

P-Gamer-C

P-Gamer-C said:

OMG not this game too it would make sense nintendo network is light years behind psn xbl steam is there any good news for this failing box this thing came out 6 monthes ago and its already faded from the limelight