Castlevania Producer Would Love To Work With Nintendo On Zelda

Posted by Damien McFerran

Dave Cox wants a link to the future

Nintendo's stance on collaborating with other developers is resulting in some interesting new titles, and rightly so — given the highly-esteemed nature of the company's portfolio, it's no surprise that other devs are falling over themselves to join forces with the Kyoto-based veteran.

Speaking to Dutch site n1ntendo.nl, Konami's Dave Cox — currently putting the finishing touches to Castlevania: Lords of Shadow - Mirror of Fate — was asked which Nintendo series he'd like to work on in the future. His answer isn't all that surprising:

I'm a massive fan of Zelda, so would I like to work on a Zelda-game...I'd love to work on a Zelda-game, that'd be amazing. How would I change it? I don't really know. I mean, I think I would make it more like Ocarina of Time, because that's the kind of Zelda-game I really, really like. You know, the wonder of exploring that whole world that felt like a cohesive whole...it all felt like it belonged together. So I think that would be something I'd love to do.

That's quite a difficult question to answer, but if Iwata-san is listening: I'd love to work on Zelda.

Would you be interested in seeing a Zelda title developed with outside input? It's happened before — Capcom worked on the two Game Boy Color titles and Minish Cap, so stranger things have indeed happened.

Thanks to Dragoony for the tip.

[via n1ntendo.nl]

DazzaAdmin

Dazza said:

First make Mirror of Fate more like Rondo of Blood, because that's the kind of Castlevania game which I really, really like :)

Peach64

Peach64 said:

I really want an original handheld Zelda. I'd be pretty disappointed if Nintendo weren't already well into development of one. It's been over 3 years since Spirit Tracks came out and they would have had 3DS dev kits by then. If people really want it, get the people responsible for the Ocarina 3D port to do Majora's Mask, as long as a more experienced Zelda team are doing a brand new one.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

If this is the guy who is also responsible for "Lords of Shadow" he knows how to create a really good athmosphere. Team Ninja has done a decent Metroid (except the story part...) why not try the same with the Zelda franchise. It would mix it up a little :)

Drawdler

Drawdler said:

@Peach64 I'm pretty sure that Anouma (?) said something along the lines of considering an MM remake, but that they wanted to prioritise bringing out an original 3DS game first... I'm actually a bit surprised that we haven't seen it yet so hopefully it'll be something really special!

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

I really like that image of Link at the top... is that something from the Hyrule Historia or where is that from?

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

@KoiTenchi It's original art from the time of Link to the Past's release. It's a lovely image, one of my fave pieces of Zelda artwork. :)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Sounds like its time for a true sequel to Zelda 2. Side scroller in the Castlevaina style! That could be epic awesome!!

duffmman

duffmman said:

Certainly no reason this couldn't happen, Capcom worked with Nintendo on a few Zelda games, and they all turned out amazing.

tddct89

tddct89 said:

I think they should just leave Zelda alone. Skyward sword was fun but it was such a big change from the original Zelda format that I honestly don't care to go back and play it again. Zelda isn't broken and doesn't need new devs to add their own personal twist on it. Give us a huge open world Zelda where (like they want to do now) we can complete dungeons in what ever order we like, but make it so it's still linear in a way that at least a few temples won't be accessible until certain points in the game. Expand the size of hyrule, add fun side quests, and almost as Importantly show us that just because Wii u won't be as powerful as the next consoles, Nintendo can still make one of the most beautiful HD games this (and the next generation) can produce. Then I'll be happy.

tddct89

tddct89 said:

@Peach64 I think it's been confirmed (a long time ago) than an original 3DS Zelda is in the works, as well as a possible 3D remake of a link to the past.

tddct89

tddct89 said:

@Tech101 I agree, links awakening also had some side scrolling elements and that was a good game. But I think a side scrolling Zelda shouldn't be developed in house (but of course overseen and assisted by Nintendo's first party studio/s)

3rdSamugai

3rdSamugai said:

I might be one of the rare few here but I think a Zelda II/Castlevania SotN would be awesome.

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

@Damo: Thank you! : )

I figured it was based off LttP but had no idea at first if it was new or old artwork. It's definitely an awesome picture.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Should be good as long as he doesn't turn it into something like the CD-I games. Capcom did handle the Oracle games very well though. I wonder whatever happen to the two Zelda 3DS games that were teased a few months ago. We'll probably won't know until E3 perhaps.

Untitled

KoiTenchi

KoiTenchi said:

@retro_player_22:

I remember seeing that image a few months ago, but I don't actually remember...

Was the image verified to be real or is it still possible it was a photoshop? I don't believe I heard for sure either way.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

" I mean, I think I would make it more like Ocarina of Time"

So he'd make Twilight Princess? Ok, I love Twilight Princess so I wouldn't complain but we don't need "more like Ocarina of Time".

I honestly don't know much about the 3DS Castlevania or the team behind it specifically but I think another 3rd party involved with a Zelda game could be cool.

edcomics

edcomics said:

I'll play the new Castlevania before deciding whether or not this is a good idea ;) But in general, I think outside ideas would be great for Zelda. I loved the Minish Cap, and I feel like Nintendo's home-grown stuff has been sort of weak lately, once you get past the gimmicks.

JebbyDeringer

JebbyDeringer said:

I don't know about this Cox guy but I think this is a great idea. The RPG elements added into the Castlevania series were great and something I've wanted to see in Zelda since they last actually did it in #2. Zelda is mostly linear adventure game, I'd really like it if you could actually play the game differently every time. There are a lot of classic RPG's I play over and over because the experience is always different. Zelda adds almost nothing "extra" to the game other than the odd collectable & hidden heart pieces. Everything in Zelda is pretty much mandatory and handed to you.

Rapido

Rapido said:

I like Minish Cap. So why not. :). How about a mature cartoonish Zelda game?

Lopezdm

Lopezdm said:

Why would we want them to touch Zelda when they won't even release Castlevania on the wiiu due too {insert developer BS here}.

meppi

meppi said:

I sure hope not. This new castlevania game is the first portable one I will not be buying. Don't want these guys anywhere near Zelda...

Expa0

Expa0 said:

If I cared about Zelda at all I would be pissed. These guys suck.

RudysaurusRex

RudysaurusRex said:

If it was still Igarashi, then this would be awesome news, but the western developers would need to be better to deserve this.

Assassinated

Assassinated said:

Zelda is not a property that is just thrown about willy nilly. I'm sure many people dream of working on a Zelda game, that doesn't mean that Nintendo is going to hand the reigns of one of their biggest, and arguably the best, franchises over to anyone who asks for it. I trust Nintendo to handle Zelda properly, they haven't failed me yet.

Neram

Neram said:

Dave Cox seems like a great guy and all, but somehow MercurySteam doesn't strike me as the appropriate team to handle a Zelda game.

RevolverLink

RevolverLink said:

While I'd like to see another 3rd-party developer put their spin on Zelda (Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons are two of my very favorite games in the series and The Minish Cap was good for what it was), I'm not sure MercurySteam is the one I'd like to see have a stab at it. I just haven't been impressed with their body of work so far.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It could work, fresh blood and all. But I would prefer Retro studios on it! Oh, the potential it would have...

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

Honestly I wouldn't mind seeing what he could do with Zelda, and I'm sure Nintendo would be keeping a close eye on things being one of their top franchises so I doubt they'd let him do anything that could potentially ruin it.

Besides I'd like to see another Zelda like OOT or Twilight Princess, those were some of my favorite games in the series for that very same reason. Its much more enjoyable exploring a world that feels like a living, breathing place.

TenEighty

TenEighty said:

I would like to see something like OOT too. I don't think we need another dark version of Zelda. Twilight was not one of my favorites.

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

One of the best ideas I've read that I think would be great to implement into the next Zelda is this: make a linear path that has a solid story and base a non-linear open world around that path. Sort of like the elder scrolls but make the main storyline feel more like a story instead of just another quest.

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

I say no on this cuz if he does do it its gonna b a reboot and story is gonna get messed up just like lord of shadow I can see this now o look link zelda as siblings and Gabon as their father Ganon owns master sword turns evil and seals it

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

To tell you the truth I'd like to see him spearhead a 2D sidescrolling 3D LoZ game, that's like OoT and AoL brought together in high quality production! 3DS or Wii U would be appreciated. Give Link/Zelda the clawshot to swing about, drag enemies, and advance the sword techniques from AoL. Fun stuff.

Henmii

Henmii said:

You mean they rocked!! The Oracle games and the Minish cap all where awesome!!