Nintendo Download Shops Offline For Maintenance This Tuesday

Posted by Damien McFerran

Could a surprise be in store?

Nintendo has revealed that its online stores will be temporarily offline on Tuesday for scheduled maintenance.

The 3DS eShop, DSi Shop and Wii Shop Channel will all be inaccessible from 10:00 PT to "about" 17:00 PT.

What's coming? It could be all manner of things. Nintendo could be preparing its online portals for the introduction of the Nintendo ID account, which will allow you to tie all of your purchases to a single ID and therefore share them more easily between systems. Or it could just be laying down the digital framework for the impending release of the Wii U console.

Alternatively, it might only be routine "behind the scenes" work and nothing will look any different when the stores all return to service.

Let us know what you're wishing for by leaving a comment below.

[via gonintendo.com]

BenAV

BenAV said:

Probably just the routine behind the scenes stuff.
I won't expect anything too noticeable.

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I'm not counting on it being anything even noticeable, though I think letting us establish ID's before the Wii U launch would actually be a great idea. It would free up a lot of bandwidth on the big day and probably save a lot of frustration.

ScreamoPichu

ScreamoPichu said:

The ID system has to come at some point soon. Hopefully it'll be out before Wii U. (I'd imagine it would be.) But I don't expect much major Tuesday. I'll glady be wrong, though.

1wiierdguy

1wiierdguy said:

As the posters above said, I hope Nintendo ID comes out before the launch of Wii U. It's going to be shared between 3DS and Wii U so a 3DS firmware update could let us set up our ID. Probs be just routine maintenance tho.

MAB

MAB said:

Probably hundreds of SNES & Megadrive games for my 3DS... No big deal really.

Rizsparky

Rizsparky said:

Probably Pokemon Red 3D remake, Zelda Oracle of Ages, and Donkey Kong Country 2.... oh wait..

edhe

edhe said:

But if we have a unified account, then we won't have to place our Wiis next to our WiiUs, turn them both on an wait while they transfer the games over, switching the TV input leads so we can see the displays for each console.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

I'm gonna expect the worst but hope for the best. It would make sense to get things setup and let 3DS owners have first dibs at making their account.

@edhe has a point there, transferring games will be a bit of a pain unless we're able to synch our Club Nintendo accounts to the Wii U and redownload them that way. Fat chance though.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Well would you look at that, my expectations meter just went all the way up to zero!

renaryuugufan92

renaryuugufan92 said:

hoping Nintendo ID does come out before the Wii U does, as I have to change out the disk drive of my original Wii -had since 2007- myself, so i don't lose all my virtual title games~

with Nintendo ID all of our download info will be on one ID so if a system goes bad all we have to do is sign in with a newer system and get our purchases back, something we can't do yet with Wii or the DSi and 3DS.

DeathAngel

DeathAngel said:

Nothings probably gonna happen, but a few changes. If something DOES happen, it better be something good.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I feel it's behind the scenes stuff, or maybe a surprise Nintendo Direct? But the second is a longshot. :p
Nintendo ID sounds cool as well, but I hope it's not a pain to use...

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

I would really like a permanent spot on all of the eshops (Wii, Wii U, DSi, 3DS) for a "Deals of the Week" page. Time to get with the times Nintendo.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Theyll probably be preparong for system transfrs to Wii U, but nothing theyll announce on Tuesday.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I would keep expectations low, that way if something does happen, I would be pleasantly surprised, but if not, I wouldn't be disappointed.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

@edhe Don't forget that the Wii U has it's own screen, so that should make it a little easier for simultaneous use during the transfer! :)

edhe

edhe said:

@TruenoGT

I hadn't thought of that. That would be acceptable, although I'd still welcome that unified system.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Probably not going to see anything new until a Nintendo direct tells us so. So if there was a ND today or tomorrow I would believe changes were coming.

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

ID's and hopefully Game Boy Advance games... which I doubt will ever come because for some reason it seems like Nintendo has something against the Game Boy Advance.

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

Last time I went all nuts for nothing really, so I'm holding my horses for now. :p If you expect zero, anything above will be awesome!

jarreboum

jarreboum said:

I don't get all the wait for a Nintendo ID account, if you have registered on the Nintendo website you already have one. My consoles are linked to my nintendo.co.uk account, which in turn is linked to my e-mail address. So Nintendo is quite aware of all my digital purchases and I can recover them with just an e-mail and a password.

Make the Nintendo website registration mandatory and there you have it, Nintendo ID account!

jarreboum

jarreboum said:

@MultiMariosonic Nintendo has something against the DS compatibility mode. It was included for the DS games but is also needed for GBA "emulation". But because this mode cannot use the built-in functionalities of the 3DS it will never be officially supported or show on the eShop for anything else than DS backward compatibility. If they could have done without the DSiware, they would have.

Gen0neD

Gen0neD said:

Eh, my guess is they're prepping for eshop cross compatibility between Wii U, 3DS/DS and Wii.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I read that they might make all wii shop titles on 3DS and up the file size for wii shop to allow Saturn and Sega CD and bigger Arcade games, and allow some DSiWare on wii shop, and put GBA games on 3DS. I doubt it but I hope it's true

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I'm not expecting anything from this. Most likely just touching up some Eshop coding and making sure everything works properly. Color me surprised though if I'm wrong.

Windy

Windy said:

The Sharing of games with Other Nintendo systems you own sounds nice but I don't think so Nintendo seems to be stubborn on this subject. It seems really rediculous when every other download service allows this and nintendo stance is Hey you need to buy it again :( I bought a 3DS day one and ended up getting into the Ambassador program which was pretty sweet. But then I bought a 3DSXL on day one and found out I could not copy my games over to my new XL unless I was willing take them off my original 3ds which is a bummer. I use both systems and have no plans to get rid of the original. But oh well

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

Looks pretty obvious it will be the Nintendo ID feature that was kinda "leaked", based on NL other artical. Being Nintendo you never know, but most signs point to yes.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Probably some behind the scene stuff preparing it for the Wii U. Other than that I cant imagine what the big N will add or change.

THENAMESNORM

THENAMESNORM said:

I would normally say that nothing will change, however why have all online stores at the same time? I'd say that's a telling sign.......

rjejr

rjejr said:

So is this worldwide?

Why use PT (pacific time?).

Well at least it's Tuesday as the US store - and the long awaited overpriced Podex - is Thursday.

Windy

Windy said:

I also think the update wont be anything huge. Nintendo tries to keep the systems as separate entities which they should do. Other than some information videos they do a good job of keeping them separate.

@rjejr I understand the frustration with the prices in the Eshop. A friend of mine gave me a PSP as a gift and I went in their online shop which is just loaded with RPG's which I love to play. However their prices are much Higher than the Nintendo Eshop prices. I had a bit of sticker shock in the Sony Market. I've changed my tune a bit since looking in there. Also that RPG everyone has been waiting for (Unchained Blades) well it's 29.99 in the sony online store and I see no reason why this download only game would be cheaper in the Eshop. I sure hope the quality is matching that price. It's maybe why we haven't got it yet

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@Windy I can relate with that myself. One of the things keeping me from getting a Vita is that I would be tied to PSN for all my PSP games and they're twice a much as retail. At least the e-shop seems a lot more consistent with prices.

Well when 5:00P.M. rolls around we'll find out.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I doubt its the account system. If it was, the update would probably just be for 3DS, I doubt they'd bother adding accounts to the Wii and DSi at this stage.
@Windy Unchained blades is a retail game in Japan so that's probably why its so expensive.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

let down by last one. not expecting much. Possibly laying the groundwork for nintendoID, but not implementing it.

NintendoMaster

NintendoMaster said:

@edhe Haven't you realized the Wii U has its own screen? Hint: The Gamepad. The Wii would be on the tv screen and you could follow along for the wii u on the gamepad.

koolkris200

koolkris200 said:

Let's hope the Nintendo ID app comes out then I could have my games on my other nintendo 3ds so I can play on both systems.

Neram

Neram said:

Probably routine service, there's no reason to get excited over this. I'm sure Nintendo would announce via Nintendo Direct if they were going to implement an account based infrastructure which would require users to sign up and accept a user agreement and whatnot. That's not something that they would just "sneak" in. I'm kind of surprised that Nintendo Life would actually think that, to be honest.

Unca_LzStaff

Unca_Lz said:

I love how certain games seem to need an entire update :P

I think it's just routine maintenance, just like most down-times :P

SMW

SMW said:

Oh what I would do to get a job as a server admin at Nintendo! Maybe anything...

slidecage

slidecage said:

pretty sure its nothing but working on stuff...nothing new will be added...

i want shining force to come out BUT its not even out in japan yet so never happen before 2014 :(

WaxxyOne

WaxxyOne said:

Routine maintenance doesn't usually take 7 hours. This is probably an upgrade of some kind, but it's very possible it'll just be some behind-the-scenes work and we won't see anything new yet. Obviously they need to upgrade the eShop at some point to support the new account features. The only question is how much of that upgrade we'll see after tomorrow and how much we'll see later.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@falloutboy152 Why would DSi have ambassadors and Flipnote memo when it has studio Same with the wii? This is ALL shops getting work, so I assume it's something cool, but IDK what DSi would need work for, unless Flipnote studio will finally be transferable but with 3DS features kinda like how Pokemon black and white 2 had 3DS features

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I hope you can play all your VC Wii games in the 3DS with the new ID account.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@DarkEdi Yes please, they also better offer a some sorta deal for games you bought twice since some of us bought certain NES games on both the wii and 3DS

rjejr

rjejr said:

@Windy - I'm not saying the $15 Pokedex is expensive compared to other systems (and you UK and EU people are paying even more) but there is already a FREE 3DS Pokedex containing about 150 Pokemon, all they had to do was slowly add in the rest for free, or a couple of $. They could have let you continue to get 3 new ones a day or as an option let people pay the $15 up front. To offer 150 for free but $15 for 650 does indeed seem overpriced. Of course I don't have it yet so maybe I'm wrong, but it isn't a game, it's an index that you can get free on iOS or Android. Guess we'll see how much use it gets.

So when is this update again?

rjejr

rjejr said:

When did the Wii menu get that AM and PM on it? I Was hoping it was in this update and the 3DS would get it as well but its still military time.