Reward Yourself With Smash Bros. on NA Club Nintendo

Posted by Mike Mason

Smashing

If you're yet to experience the very beginnings of the Super Smash Bros. franchise, you might be interested in the latest North American Club Nintendo reward: the original Super Smash Bros. on Virtual Console.

The classic Nintendo 64 fighter is available as a prize until 16th September. It's a bit pricier than usual at 200 reward coins, but if you've got the coins spare this could be a great excuse to revisit what made the fighter so addictive in the first place. Here's our Super Smash Bros. review if you need some help deciding.

Game Boy's Tennis is also still available until 9th September, for a slightly less costly 150 coins. Here's our Tennis review.

Will you be grabbing any of these rewards?

[via club.nintendo.com]

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

I wish did not buy this. I should have known it would end up as a club nintendo freebie. Anyway its worth a pickup if you don't own it.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

hmm...i have 760 coins...don't use them too often but kind of almost want to save for something cool...
Also, I still have the cartridge for this game....still, kind of want to download it to the Wii. Man, I feel like a sucker for doing that though. Not sure what to do.
oh...and score one for NOA!

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

I would have got it if it was for the 3ds and not the wii, but since it's not, no smash bros. for me :/

Ras

Ras said:

I'll buy games instead of wasting coins. If I hadn't used coins on a game or two, I'd have had enough for a gold nunchuk. I have enough now and am just waiting for it to be reoffered.

sketchturner

sketchturner said:

I would definitely get this if I hadn't already purchased it. I still prefer the original over Brawl and Melee. The physics of everything feel so much better to me.

LexKitteh

LexKitteh said:

Finally, a reward worth getting for real Nintendo fans!! Majora's Mask was an awesome reward too!! :D

Gridatttack

Gridatttack said:

Meh. I already downloaded it when it came out. But I don't like at all this version....
(doesn't mean its not fun :P)

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

Still have the original cart along with all of Nintendo's classic N64 games. Why not offer better games for 3ds? I'd kill for Link's Awakening DX if I didn't have it on wii.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@TheDreamingHawk: So how do we end the complaints over bad downloads each Thursday. :P

Hmmm what a coincidence I just happened to have 200 coins. I knew I was saving it for something good. One question anyone know if this game is compatible with the Wavebird controller on the VC cause I refuse to play N64 games with a CC.

MegaAdam

MegaAdam said:

Super Smash Bros.: Greatest Game Ever Made or Greatest Game of All Time?

You decide.

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

Compared to Brawl this is crude but the game did surpass every fighting game before it. I still play today just to hear "DOINK" when mario does his windup punch. Those were the days... 99 man battles... yeah.

Sonic260

Sonic260 said:

I'm buying it right now!

...Too bad I won't be able to download it until tomorrow. >_>'

Dodger

Dodger said:

If you think Smash Bros. is all about button mashing, you're doing it wrong. You can play it by mashing buttons, but anyone who actually is good at the games can beat a person who is just mashing buttons no problem.

Anyways, I'll probably skip this as I love Brawl so much that I doubt I would ever play SSB64. Besides, I still need 60 coins or so. :P

Nardar

Nardar said:

@Tasuki
I like the CC Pro better now. I have adapted to playing Brawl with it. It was hard but I am glad I did. I am trying to do that with all my games knowing the Wii U wont have any GC ports. I also don't plan to keep my Wii once I get a Wii U.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Higher price and i already have the superior Melee and Brawl. If this was 150 maybe but, i already have Melee and Brawl, and when we transfer it to the Wii U then we could not use the gamecube controllers anymore. So no. I won´t download it.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Nardar: That is an idea but I have tried playing N64 games on the VC with both a CC and a CCP and I just dont like the feel of it I prefer the Wavebird control. Besides I plan on keeping my Wii when I get the Wii U because of the ability to play GC games.

Intrepid

Intrepid said:

I have the original cartridge, so I probably will not get this. Good reward though.

@DreamingHawk No, it won't. We have had quite a few good download games (Super Mario Kart, Mario Tennis, Majora's Mask, and Mario Party 2, to name a few), but I still hold firm to my belief that NA Club Nintendo needs better stuff.

Alienfish

Alienfish said:

I'd totally get this right now. If only I didn't have the sense to buy it when it was first launched on the VC. Shucks

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

I can't really see myself playing an older version after having the most recent one...like with all of them, though, I played this game till my fingers blistered back on the N64. :p (not really, but yeah)

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

@Intrepid Think about it this way, as I was told when I used to be unhappy with the rewards a while back:

"You have stuff Europeans and Japanese don't, so why is NA so much worse?"

rjejr

rjejr said:

Ye-ha!! I am admitedly 1 of those people who is always complaint but now I all I got is a big THANK YOU NINTENDO!! We already have Brawl and Melee of course but have never gotten this one. 200 coins may be a lot but it is a $10 N64 game, correct ? Don't know whether to go get this or my Ratchet n Clank beta? Gotta run

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

I'm glad the calibre of Club Nintendo Rewards seems to be on the rise again. After awesome titles like Majora's Mask, Super Mario Kart, Metroid II, and Mario Party 2; I was waiting for something amazing and this is it.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Actually, I might pass. I already have Brawl and I don't want to play the original because of the possible improvements made over the years that could affect how well I play. I'll save my coins for the next great reward.

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

I love the original. I liked the toy concept and the simpler battle system is interesting. Plus, for now it's a way to play Smash Bros. when I am not in the mood for slipping.

Zetchzie

Zetchzie said:

@TheDreamingHawk its bad I really dont like this game it is just horrible and i love the other games but this one just didnt do it for me and the rewards are a bit on the bad side its like some of the least wanted games and I would wait it out if nintendo didnt deduct 100 points every year i dont spend my points so I hope they get somthing good soon

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@Tasuki The answer to your wavebird vc question is yes. The Wii VC works with all gamecube controllers to my knowledge. That reminds me, I still have my free platinum member Majora's Mask I need to play. :) Thanks!

Also NL beat me to sending this in. Darn It! :P

Fudgenuggets

Fudgenuggets said:

Ugh... I would get this, but i don't have any classic controllers or a (working) GC controller. D:

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

I'd totally get this if I didn't have it on the VC already. You know what I could go for? A game like Ghosts n Goblins. Yeah.

JuanitoShet

JuanitoShet said:

Awesoooome. If you don't own Super Smash Bros, it's DEFINITELY a game you should get! I'd say it's worth the 200 Coins. ESPECIALLY if you play it with a GameCube controller, I say this from experience.

It plays and runs a bit smoother than the original N64 version, too!

Alucard83

Alucard83 said:

Lol@ people who are saying "i have the original, so why should i pay to get it?" How about no more need to dig your old console to play???? On a new system which might look even better. nuff said

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Kind of makes you wish for a joint VC, would've been enticed to buy this again that way. Although 200 points is a steal regardless.

SonataAndante

SonataAndante said:

I only have 275 coins but I'll likely pick this up if the next game to replace Tennis doesn't interest me. I have the original cart but I think we all know how well N64 controllers hold up, never mind the fact that 2 out of my 3 N64 controllers are awful 3rd party ones like Mad Catz. On that note I still need to redeem my Mario Tennis code from awhile back.

Abcdude

Abcdude said:

Woo! Best Club nintendo game since... majora's mask! Now I want some 3DSware, ketzal's corridors?

Sausimo

Sausimo said:

A great reward for sure (one I won't be getting since I've played the N64 version enough, plus I have melee on hand should the desire arise), but the cynic in me is wondering if NA Club Nintendo is offering good (but pricey) awards such as these to drain the coin economy down before offering the gold nunchuck again. I guess I'll see with the next few games released...

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Downloading this bad boy right now!

Man, my Wii is getting a ton of playtime here lately! Between this, Fluidity and Majora's Mask, my Wii might need an oil change in the near future if Nintendo keeps it up! :P

Windy

Windy said:

Picked it up! So much fun even though it doesnt hold up well graphically, the gameplay is still a blast :) Im hping for something cool for 3ds or 3ds vc like Shining force gamegear would just be outstanding

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

I finally got enough coins for the nunchuck just after it sold out, but this is too good to pass up.

HanuKwanzMasBif

HanuKwanzMasBif said:

I prefer physical rewards anyway
plus my mom unwittingly* broke my gamecube controller
*well, probably unwittingly

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

Reminds me, why don't they make Super Mario 64 a reward, that would be awesome! :D

Knuckles

Knuckles said:

@CosmicMii Because if you put the Mario name on anything it will sell. Case in point, SM3DL, MK7, NSMB2. I admit they are all good games, but the Mario name is the main reason they sell so well.