Nintendo Download: 13th September 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Damien McFerran

Zelda II, some bookworms and a metallic slug - it's all happening in this week's Euro Nintendo Download

3DS Virtual Console

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (Nintendo, £4.50) — Arguably one of the most controversial games in the Zelda bloodline, this second NES outing combines side-scrolling action with top-down adventuring to create a heady mix which might not be to the tastes of every Zelda fan. It's still worth experiencing at least once, so if you missed out on getting it for free as part of the 3DS Ambassador campaign, then now is your chance. Don't forget to consult our Zelda II: The Adventure of Link review first, though!

3DS eShop

Crazy Kangaroo (Gamelion, £3.60) — Gamelion's latest eShop adventure is packed to bursting point with bright colours and zany creatures, and has already enjoyed success on smartphones. It uses the 3DS console's motion-sensing capabilities to provide a fun and diverting experience. We'll be posting our full critique very soon, so keep your powder dry until then.

3DS demo

Shifting World Demo (Rising Star Games) — Spawned from a smartphone title called Shift, this puzzle platformer looks fantastic but plays poorly - as you will no doubt be aware if you checked out our Shifting World review from a while back when it was released on the North American Nintendo Download. It's not out in Europe yet, so if you're not entirely put off by our negative appraisal, you can make your own mind up.

DSiWare

Bookstore Dream (CIRCLE Entertainment. 200 DSi Points / £1.80) — Looking rather similar to the output of famed mobile phone developer Kairosoft (that's no bad thing at all, they created the amazing Game Dev Story), Bookstore Dream's central concept sounds a little dull, but this type of game has the potential to be a really addictive experience. We'll provide a review as soon as possible.

3DS Add-On Content

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy — (Square Enix, £0.90 / €1 each)

Songs available this week include:

• Somnus (FFC-FMS)
  • Gustaberg (FF11 – FMS)
  • The Battle for Freedom (FF12 – BMS)
  • Final Battle (FF10 – BMS)

Wii Virtual Console

Metal Slug X (D4 Enterprise, 900 points) — One of the greatest instalments in SNK Playmore's legendary run-and-gun franchise, Metal Slug X is a 2D action fan's dream come true. If you need any more acclaim, read our glowing Metal Slug X review, where we called it "one of the genre's all-time best efforts, even after more than a decade."

That's quite a lot to digest, with a wide range of content across all formats. Which will you be downloading this week? Tell us in the poll below!

What will you be downloading first this week? (92 votes)

Zelda II: The Adventure of Link (3DS VC)

28%

Crazy Kangaroo (eShop)

Bookstore Dream (DSiWare)

Metal Slug X (Wii VC)

14%

Nothing for me this week

46%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Magikarp3

Magikarp3 said:

Looks like a good week, I guess. All the 3ds titles have me interested, although I'd probably have my reasons for disliking all of them :/

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Technically I'll be downloading Zelda II, if just to update the ambassador NES title I have.

I don't really plan on playing it, but then again it will add save states to this brutally difficult game.

I'll probably download the demo too, since I download them all.

Cipher

Cipher said:

Will be updating Zelda II and downloading the Shifting World demo. :)

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

Seems like a pretty decent week...
Also, does anyone know wether any of this is confirmed for the Australian eshop, or can't you find out?

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

@Bass_X0 Not always. Some weeks we only get the VC game, so I know that Zelda 2 is definitely coming, butI have no idea about the others, which I really hope come!

RetrogamerFan

RetrogamerFan said:

I'll be updating Zelda II.
Interested in the demo too, the review pointed out some very serious flaws in the game, but the concept looks good and i quite liked the look of the game. I like puzzle games and this one looks like it could have similarities to Crushed, which i really enjoyed. If the developers have fixed the game during localisation, it could still be interesting... or is that too much to hope for

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

I can say, with absolutely no sarcasm, that I'm looking forward to Bookstore Dream, especially at a budget price.

3DSNoobieNerd

3DSNoobieNerd said:

........ Why not a NSMB 2 demo nintendo? I can only get it on Christmas because in my country we are on terrible economy troubles... this week I go to school and Im gonna be really stressed with the homeworks :( I hope shifting world demo is a fun, and relaxing game that makes me forgetting the troubles at school...

SLiM

SLiM said:

I will be getting Zelda II on 3DS VC once it comes stateside.

Fabian

Fabian said:

@PoshSnivy Why don´t you just change your Region to Europe to get those geames.A few days ago I changed my Region to Australia and I was verry suprised how many games are not available in Australia while they are on European Eshop.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

Metal Slug X is also included in Metal Slug Anthology which you can pick up for very little money... think ive paid 5 or 10 euro.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

I'm an Ambassador with a 3DS XL.
All I want is an update to Zelda II.... hopefully it'll be the GBA version of the game... it was soooooooooooo much easier!!!! Zelda II GBA is my second favourite Zelda game. my first being A Link to the Past!

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

Nothing for me this week but I will download that Shifting World demo. Might aswell make my 32gb sd card worth filling up even if the demo is crap. :P

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

Nada for me. Being an ambassador I'll probably get the update for Zelda II, but to be honest I don't think very highly of that game. Sorry Zelda II fans, but I'd take Faxanadu over it any day.

MrWezzle

MrWezzle said:

Nice, decent week for EU, but then again, you guys had a nice, decent week last week as well, while NA got decently farted on. Enjoy your Zelda and Metal Slug; I'm just gonna be praying for less North American farts this week.

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Zelda restore points and Thearhythm songs... kind of a meh week in all honesty.

Jese_1

Jese_1 said:

I'll give Bookstore Dream a spin. At that price it really isn't much of a risk, and I love management sims.

eleven59

eleven59 said:

i think id rather see a virtual release of battle of olympus... and crystalis ;)

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Philip_J_Reed&Thomas: Make that three. It sounds like Harvest Moon in a bookstore rather than a farm. Keeping my fingers crossed on this one.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Bookstoor Dream look's a little like Lemonade Tycoon to me, so do want. I'll also check out Crazy Kangaroo, if reviews are positive.

Omega

Omega said:

Metal Slug X interests me the most. But I don't think I buy it soon because I just bought a ton of WiiWare and VC games.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Shifting World is set to be not only totally fixed but also come with the level editor that was taken out of the US release, I'll definitely be downloading the demo but I'm like 95% sure I'm getting the game when it comes out.

Also why is there still no option to vote for downloading Theatrhythm DLC?! :S

& yay Zelda II, I'll have to finish the Legend of Zelda soon then.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

its easily the worst game in the series.

No its not. The CD-I games are. And even by NES standards, it still holds up as a decent enough platformer / RPG.

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

How much do you wanna bet that most who vote "Nothing for me this week" are North Americans? xD

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

@SanderEvers Remakes of bad games don't have to remain bad. Remakes generally or ideally should fix the problems of the original games to make them play better and be more enjoyable. From the AVGN review, I remember the main problems being the controls and graphics.

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

That scared me when I saw the CD-I Zelda screenshot.

Believe it or not, that's from the Zelda II instruction manual. It's official Adventure of Link art...not CD-i!

Bensei

Bensei said:

Why exactly don't you post the prices in € anymore? I always fall for it, thinking the pounds are Euros :(

Megajack

Megajack said:

Come to America Zelda II! :D IMO Zelda II is the best Zelda NES. I hope it comes to USA.

HaastMK7

HaastMK7 said:

At first, thought the game was fun and it still is, don't get me wrong but there are some little "Hiccups" in the game (Glitches) which really buzz kills everything cause link is there one minute, gone the next (poof) :(

I can not be bothered redownloading it :p

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

£1.80 for Bookstore Dream!? Surely an "insta-buy" if there ever was one, though I might hold out for the review first...

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

What I would like to know is. Is the final battle music for FF10 gonna be the one against Braska or the one against Yu Yevon. If its the Braska on then I will be downloading that one no matter what.