3DS Virtual Console Gets Big Push in North America

Posted by James Newton

Two new games every week

If you live in North America and you're fed up of getting the brown end of the 3DS Virtual Console stick, there's very good news on the way.

From 5th July to 1st August, Nintendo will release two 3DS Virtual Console games in the eShop every week. That covers four Nintendo Downloads — 1st August is a Wednesday — so expect eight titles, including long-awaited games like Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3, Kirby's Pinball Land and The Legend of Zelda on the way. Here are the dates we know so far:

The Legend of Zelda (NES) — 5th July.
The Sword of Hope II (Game Boy) — 12th July.
Kirby's Pinball Land (Game Boy) — 12th July.
Tumble Pop (Game Boy) — 19th July.
Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters (Game Boy) — 19th July.
Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3 — 26th July.
Sonic Blast
Sonic Labyrinth

Also, from Friday 22nd June to Sunday 24th June you'll be able to get Super Mario Land for $2.99, the first time Nintendo's offered such a sale in the 3DS eShop.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

Amazing.
Is it just my computer or all these new articles' pictures not showing up properly?
Thanks so much for staying up late/getting up early (which ever you did) to report us this news, James! Love ya!

Hokori

Hokori said:

At least we get Wario land, but still I'd rather we get DL2 or tilt n tumble instead of Pinball

idork99

idork99 said:

Hopefully there are more NES Virtual Console games added other than the ones the Ambassadors have already received.

cheetahman91

cheetahman91 said:

Nintendo having a sale for one of their downloadable games? That's new.

And two 3DS VC games a week during July? Nice.

@Retro_on_theGo: They aren't showing up for me either.

Wildvine53

Wildvine53 said:

How many ambassador games need to be released, 7? I won't let myself get too excited, but I would love to be proved wrong.

idork99

idork99 said:

@ Wildvine53
You are correct. Those games would be Ice Climber, Wrecking Crew, Balloon Fight, Zelda (mentioned above), Zelda II, NES Open, and Yoshi for North America. I'd love to see SMB3 soon!

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

@Emaan: Myths and Monsters according to the post will be out July 19th.

Meanwhile going to saving up some points for Warioland.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

AW COME ON! Why is Wario Land all the way at the end of July!? >:[ Well at least we get Of my and monsters sooner.

Moorpheel

Moorpheel said:

:D! I may also get that SML just to support sales and stuff.

Now, about Harvest Moon...

Pixiey

Pixiey said:

I think this is rather disappointing. The only one I am looking forward to is Kirby Pinball Land. They have so many games they could put out. Aladdin for the gba, or Lion King would be great! Pokemon Pinball, Mario Pinball would be really awesome!

TrueWiiMaster

TrueWiiMaster said:

I think this would be more impressive if it weren't for the fact the best of these games have been out in Europe for months...

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Completely thrown off by the 'why so serious' none nintendo Playstation sounding Rave tunes. :p Anyways great news! But I've already just beaten the oh so fantastic Wario Land on my GB along with the overrated Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters(ahem, original so much better) as well. And i don't bother with 3DS 'NES' VC games...That's what the Wii is for, besides I'm sure most people here have already plowed their way through that one.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

Now, nopony will have to hear me complain about no Wario Land or Kid Icarus OMM anymore. :) I'll have to find something else to complain about the absence of. Zelda Oracle games, along with Final Fantasy Legend & Final Fantasy Adventure are prime candidates. ;)

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Awesome! With America to catch up with Europe, we'll hopefully be seeing some new VC games coming out soon. :3

Marz

Marz said:

@Pixiey

Yea except titles like Aladdin are licensed games and the licenses have expired, it's not really worth the effort it takes to get the license renewed.

There's very few cases where licensed games appeared on Nintendo's VC service, the LucasArts Star Wars and Indiana Jones' titles being some of the few exceptions

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Marz - LucasArts did not originally have anything to do with the publishing or the developing of those games originally. They only licensed Star Wars and Indiana Jones out to third party companies. Disney could publish games originally licensed to Capcom and Sega if they wanted to. It would be harder and more expensive for Capcom and Sega to get back the Disney license to publish the games themselves.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Good, Wario Land at last! Even if it comes out at the end of July, at least I know it's coming. I'll get Kid Icarus: Of Myths and Monsters and Kirby's Pinball Land before-hand.

Vampfox

Vampfox said:

It sucks that we have to wait till July 26th for Wario Land. There's no excuse for us getting the game long after everyone else.

Kevin

Kevin said:

About time we're getting Wario Land. Only if the Wii VC gets this kind of push...

spider-manatee

spider-manatee said:

Glad to hear about Wario Land for the 3DS VC. Hoping Nintendo decides to release Kirby's Dream Land 2 before they go with the anniversary collection. Any speculation on what the two unnamed releases are?

Tomatoboxer

Tomatoboxer said:

What's stopping them from releasing all of the Ambassador titles at once? How do they benefit by drip-feeding releases?

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

YES!!! Now to see if nintendo can keep this streak going!

And
@Tomatoboxer
Think of it in terms of the holiday release schedule. Do you get every single one of the games you want during that short 3-ish month period? Now, cram all that into a single day, do you still think you'll be able to get every single one of those games? I'd doubt you could, and Nintendo has answered this question before. Would you rather be complaining about having a drought of games, or getting a new one every week or two to give you time to actually play the game you just bought?

GeminiSaint

GeminiSaint said:

Awesome! I'll be getting Kirby, Icarus and Wario Land for sure. And I hope they update Zelda too, unlike Donkey Kong Jr.!

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

I hope soon Virtual Boy VC games. There aren´t too much but it fits perfectly for the 3DS.

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

glad for those who want these games but where is my pokemon games? when are we getting those games? kid icarus and kirby pinball is all I want out of those.

Kitsune_Rei

Kitsune_Rei said:

Cool! I'm glad I just got a points card for my birthday :D I was saving them for when the Pokemon apps came out, but now I have other stuff to think about.

RR529

RR529 said:

Looking forward to updating Zelda. KI:oMaM & WL:SML3 are going to be insta-buys. Hope Sword of Hope II is decent, I could use a GB RPG.

eleven59

eleven59 said:

finally! ! of course there is still stuff to complain about! why did it take so long? why do they insist on diff schedules for regions?? what is this.. 1985?

speaking of... its 2012, if they want us to buy console games on a portable, then we should expect to have cloud saves or some sort of data transfer! why would anyone want to have two separate zelda games going on!

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

Finally! And a sale in the eShop? Already have the game, but nice to see a precedent being set. Let's see if we can't get some Steam-quality sales (50-75% off)

TheConsiglio

TheConsiglio said:

I got my sites set on Kid Icarus, Legend of Zelda, Sonic Blast, and Wario Land. As for what i'm hoping for is a Donkey Kong Land game.

UnseatingKDawg

UnseatingKDawg said:

IT'S ABOUT FREAKIN' TIME! Now I can definitely hold the wait until the end of next month for Wario Land and Kid Icarus. Good thing I still have funds in my virtual wallet!

Henmii

Henmii said:

2 games a week is good. But it should be 5 (like in the early Wii years) of course!!

ogo79

ogo79 said:

@Henmii
why 5? lets shoot for 500 games a week!
and we will beat every single one in 7 days and get ready for another 500 the next week. i demand nintendo do this or im not going to be their best friend anymore!

Supremeist

Supremeist said:

Well It's great that I have a bigger SD card now. Cool news, now more will come to my interests.

Bane

Bane said:

I will get Tumblepop, Wario Land, Legend of Zelda, and Kid Icarus :D

Pokefanmum82

Pokefanmum82 said:

@James
if you check their site, each week Nintendo is going to have a downloadable title on sale. This is a quote from their site "We’re kicking off a new program in the Nintendo eShop that will make select digital Nintendo 3DS games available at a discount. Each week you’ll see a different deal so keep checking back. "

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

Great! I can't wait for... uhm.. half of these ;) Since I'm an Ambassador I already have half of those. But, Kid Icarus 2 is well worth the wait. I remember how much the game rocked back in the day (the gameboy KI sequel) it's really truly amazing, guys. A game not to be missed!