Nintendo Download: 17th November 2011 (North America)

Posted by James Newton

The pink one's back

A little something for everyone this week — apart from you, Virtual Console fans — with titles on DSi, WiiWare and 3DS to download. The headline act is undoubtedly the timely appearance of the pink puffball on 3DS, but let's see what else is competing for your money.

3DS Download Software

3D Classics: Kirby's Adventure (Nintendo, $6.99) — Little Kirby's NES adventure gets a 3D makeover. Does it bring the game up to speed or is it best left untouched? Our forthcoming review will tell you more.

Update: We're aware the eShop price is listed at $6.99, while the official Nintendo.com page lists $5.99. We've contacted Nintendo for clarification.

WiiWare

Pinocchio's Puzzle (EnjoyUp Games, 500pts) — It's a co-op jigsaw game based on the story of the wooden puppet whose nose grew. Probably not a thrill-a-minute rollercoaster ride, but we'll bring you a full verdict in our upcoming review.

DSiWare

Play & Learn Chinese (Selectsoft, 800pts) — After the decent Play & Learn Spanish we now have the opportunity to learn some Mandarin Chinese, both written and spoken. We'll have a full review for you soon.

Escape Trick: Convenience Store (Intense Co. Ltd, 500pts) — You've been locked in a convenience store and must escape using only your wits and what you can find. Is there fun in store? Our review will let you know. How convenient.

Nintendo Video

The Legend of Zelda Great Fairy's Fountain Theme — This theme song was performed by a full orchestra. This and other songs will be included on a CD packed with the initial production runs of The Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword.

Anything for you this week?

Related Games

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Kinda expected no 3DS VC games today. I'm sure as far as Nintendo are concerned, Kirby's Adventure makes up for it. I disagree. Next week will have a VC game for sure.

Link79

Link79 said:

I already bought Kirby's adventure on Wii VC years back.
Unless the 3D makes a big difference I might pass.
I'd assume we'll get something next week on Wii VC for sure.
That's right around thanksgiving.
It would be so wrong to leave VC fans hangin on that week.

ImDiggerDan

ImDiggerDan said:

Too many games. Skyward Sword and SM3DL both arrived today already, now Kirby 3D and MK7 just 2 weeks away.

JayArr

JayArr said:

If I hadn't already been trapped in a convenience store accidentally 3 times IRL already I would have probably bought that escape trick game.....

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

And thus, another game was available on ye olde eShoppe. Olaf-symbiote sighed, adding another game to his ever-growing liste of eShoppe games. “So many games, so little money" he said. "One day I'll be a beautiful butterfly, prospering and drinking the sweet nectar of these digital delights. That day shall cometh soon..."

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

Hold up! Shouldn't Kirby's Adventure count as VC since it's still a retro release? ;)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Kirby's Adventure 3D was definitly unexpected. I expected another older NES title along the loopy lines of Ice Climbers 3D or Ballon Fight 3D for ex. :p

Anyways, I'm not a big fan of Kirby's Adventure....I found it to be decent at best. My main problem would definitly have to be the flight mechanic....Where you have to press UP on the d-pad to get him to fly...Pressing just the jump button in the air 'again' would of made more sense, but as it is it mucks up the gameplay, as it feels pretty akward and unintuitive to pull off.....Yet I'm still totaly interesed to see how the 3D turns out though! Hopefully I won't pee my Proto man panties. B-)

SLiM

SLiM said:

I always wanted to play this Kirby game. I might have to pick it up some time in the next year.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

was gonna get kirby but havent got enough at the mo.bit off topic has anyone got the aquarium of luck is it worth getting?

Kholdstare

Kholdstare said:

Might get Kirby later today. Still not sure.

Oh, and Scott Pilgrim did the Great Fairy's Fountain Theme way better! :D

Samholy

Samholy said:

one kirby for me please !.
a couple of good titles that pile on my buy-list recently. itsb ad for my wallet !

bonesy91

bonesy91 said:

Ugh want Kirby but don't want to have to throw down 10$ for a 6$ game... Nintendo needs to work on their payment options in the near future...

Dodger

Dodger said:

I agree, the eshop isn't going to be as good as Nintendo sats until you can just buy a game, tax and all.

Kirby's Adventure is a fun game but the remake looks lazy. The Wii VC version is full screen and the 3D doesn't look amazing. Still might get it as I wanted this as an ambassador game anyways and this pretty rules out us getting Nightmare in Dreamland.

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

Well I been wanting balloon kid so time to throw $10 down to get teh Kirbs and Balloon Kid. Can't wait to play. Our resident DiggerDan already told me the 3D is pretty nice in it.

LordAndrew

LordAndrew said:

@lz20XX Nope, because it's not a Virtual Console title. VC games are all emulated ROM images, and 3D Classics are built from the ground up for the 3DS.

sirgrim

sirgrim said:

As someone that has been learning Chinese the last year, really looking forward to that one. Kirby is a surprise too, guess I have two titles to get today :)

47drift

47drift said:

Kirby's Adventure, one of the best games on the NES comes out, and I STILL see people whining on here about no Virtual Console release.

Nothing will ever please you people.

Nothing.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I STILL see people whining on here about no Virtual Console release.

NES games are old news. Its black and white GB games that the people want!

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

While I'm happy 47drift about it, thats pretty ridiculous to assume everyone has a 3DS at this point. Those with a Wii probably feel pretty left out at this point.

Hardy83

Hardy83 said:

I'm getting $6.99.
I also watched the video of the game and the 3D effect is pathetic. I was hoping it would be cool like the Urban Champions effect.

James

James said:

RE: the price, I've contacted Nintendo to see what the deal is and will update when we know more.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

....Well that was sooner than expected. o_0
Well crap, lol
Gonna try and nab Kirby tonight, decided to buy 3D Land now...

Kholdstare

Kholdstare said:

If I buy the game now and the price gets adjusted to $5.99 later in the day, I'm going to RAGE for my dollar!!
So yeah, be warned. :P

Sam_Loser2

Sam_Loser2 said:

I'm with you @Kholdstare. Sounds like a great Kirby game and I want to get it, but is 3D enough to raise the price well over VC standards? I'm probably get it anyway.

Oh! Will early adapters get 20 free games if the price drops?

JeanLuc_Vaycard

JeanLuc_Vaycard said:

Just to let everyone know the 3D isn't amazing. The graphics do look polished though and this is still my all time favorite Kirby game.

warioswoods

warioswoods said:

It seems you'll either love the 3D effect in Kirby or be unable to see it. Watch the trailer and decide.

I'm in the former camp; it looks beautiful to pull apart a classic 2d platformer into paper-like layers. Even on the small screen, everything now looks crisper and better defined than ever before possible.

Ras

Ras said:

@JayArr Yeah, but just think: if you're trapped a fourth time, maybe this game will give you some pointers on how to get out of there quicker.

kobe1724

kobe1724 said:

Considering I already have Kirby's Adventure on my Wii, I don't think adding 3D effect would convince me to buy it again for 3DS. Still looks cool though.

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

Kirby's Adventure as a 3D Classic is definitely a shocker because everything that came before it was either an arcade game or an arcade styled NES game. Also, NA/EU/AU got a 3D Classic before Japan for once.

Singularity

Singularity said:

Now we just need A Link to the Past, Super Mario World and the Final Fantasy SNES games as 3D classics. Loving this.

pntjr

pntjr said:

YESH! YESH! YESH!
/Me checks the money left on my eShop
NOSH! NOSH! NOSH!

Metal_Slugger

Metal_Slugger said:

Kirby is worth every penny and then some. I got it for the wii, but this version just looks better. Not because of the 3d which helps in a subtle way, but that its cripser on the small screen. Vibrant and beautiful. The wii version looked great on my analog tv, but not the greatest on my widescreen 1080p hidef ( money pit hyped crap only good for certain things). It's a bit of a long download around 400 blocks. As for the 3d effect you may want to bump it up a bit for this one to get the effect. I barely noticed it on my normal setting. No biggy.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

I'm probably going to pick up Kirby but I'm going to wait and see what happens with the price discrepancy on the Nintendo.com website and the eShop. Chances are nothing will come of it and it will stay $6.99 but still, you never know. ;)

EDIT: Well, it seems that it was a typo on Nintendo's webpage and that the price is $6.99 after all. I ended up downloading it anyway. It is a really good game. A bit pricey but I still think that it is worth it.

kitroplious

kitroplious said:

I'm starting to get a bit concerned about Adventure Island if Nintendo of America is going to release it on Game Boy (and also NES since the GB version is based on AI2).

I would have prefered that over Kirby's Adventure. Also, Kirby is great too!
Shame I don't think it will release until EU gets Balloon Kid and/or NA getting the NES game of Adventure Island 2.

Aqueous

Aqueous said:

Kirby's Adventure is what I thought Zelda 2 would be like and thought it would be a 3d classic, not that I would get it but still and like wise for Mario. Kirby has now reached my wish list because the video and simple but nice 3d effect, also love the look of it.

There are 5 3ds classics out, with a blue, green, purple, orange (maybe red) and yellow background, I'm going to guess kid icarus will have a red background unless twinbee is red, then orange instead

CrazyOtto

CrazyOtto said:

I hope this doesn't stop Nightmare in Dreamland from coming to the eShop if it ever starts selling GBA games. There are many games that have multiple versions of the same game on the Wii VC, and the biggest Kirby fans would buy both this and NiD anyways.

Punny

Punny said:

Kirby's Adventure in 3D will be fun. I should know after playing through the original three times. :)

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Wait a minute, doesn't the 3D effect look better when actually playing the game rather than basing it off one of the trailers?

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

I downloaded this one for the Wii from the VC series. Still, it would be interesting to see how it looks with the 3D effect.