Wii U is Technically 3D-Ready

Posted by Trevor Chan

Check that off the list

While it may have taken Nintendo a few years to jump on the HD bandwagon, it seems the company doesn't want to be in a position where it finds itself being left behind again when it comes to the latest trend in consumer technology.

In an interview conducted by Mercury News, Nintendo president Satoru Iwata clarified the focus of the company and the Wii U's 3D capabilities:

If you are going to connect Wii U with a home TV capable of displaying 3-D images, technologically, yes, it is going to be possible, but that's not the area we are focusing on... When it comes to 3-D, we already have the 3DS, and each owner of the Nintendo 3DS is capable of viewing 3-D images. However, when it comes to the home console, it depends upon the availability of 3-D TV sets at home, which, unfortunately, is not expanding enough. And rather than pouring a lot of energy into that kind of area, with the Wii U we'd like to focus more on each Wii U owner being able to have an equal opportunity to enjoy it.

Although the architecture of the console is not yet known in its entirety, it appears to be possible to update the Wii U in the future ― as it doesn't sound like it's capable of doing so out of the box ― in order for 3D visuals to be outputted.

Whether Nintendo will ever arrive at that bridge or not, it's good to know it is capable of crossing it if and when it does.

[via siliconvalley.com]

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Don't care for 3D in the living room until it's glasses free (in cinema's, that's a different story).

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I'm interested and I don't mind wearing 3D glasses....At least when gaming on a 3D plasma you don't have to worry about getting in that perfect sweet spot.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

That's interesting, but I don't see glasses-free 3D TVs becoming a standard in homes for a long time. One can dream.

Zach

Zach said:

This is exactly the direction Nintendo needs to go in. While they admit that it's not growing fast enough to be a big focus of theirs, they still give 3D TV owners the option. Doing otherwise is what kept the Wii from being HD.

Punny

Punny said:

Sweet. I don't care if I'm at home playing games with 3D glasses. Out in public is another story. :)

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I'll still go to my 3DS first for 3D gaming, but if Nintendo actually decides a game that actually makes good use of the 3D for the Wii U I won't complain. :)

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

Game&Watch games are 3D ready.

Seriously, look closely at the screen of one of the original consoles sometime.

pikku

pikku said:

@7 exactly, Nintendo seems to be learning from their mistakes Hopefully they'll learn from the piece of crap known as the 3DS launch and include some decent first party stuff like they have for every single other system besides the 3DS. D:

BRAINFOX

BRAINFOX said:

Now it can be called the Super Mega Ultra SG-1000 Nintendo Dream Entertainment Blast Processor System 64 3D!!

RoyalBlur

RoyalBlur said:

I'm not really into 3D gaming on a home console, especially if one is required to wear 3D glasses. The Nintendo 3DS has satisfied my 3D wants very nicely.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I hope the 3D isn't just an afterthought, imo it's a huge game changer that makes a great experience 5x more fantastic and interesting. And hopefully nintendo along with every other developers puts their all in the 3D.

I'm buying a 2012 50" Sammy or Panny 3D 1080p Plasma next year so I'm REALLY looking forward to this! B-) Do you guys think the 3D will be simular or even superior to the 3DS's 3D effect?

Glasses or no glasses whatever, i want that amazing 3D depth and pop on the Big screen in HD glory on the Wii U. This was something i was hoping to happen since the 3DS, and now it is! But it's obviously not the main focus or even close, but at least it's there!

Imagine playing Metroid Prime 4 in 3D, 1080p, on a 50" plasma and with Wii Pointer Controls? It would be hands down the most immersive gaming experience in videogame history hehe. I'm now officially much more excited for the Wii U! :D

AVahne

AVahne said:

I got a 55" LG 3DTV downstairs, looks like my Wii U's going down there while the Wii Original stays up

motang

motang said:

Hmm seeing how 3D on the PS3 hasn't really taken off I not sure this will also, but that being said it's good to see it built in.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

I've experienced Moto Storm 3D on the PS3 on a 46" 3D LCD, but i was forced to sit too close to the unit, the 3D however was pretty sweet, but I don't think it was up to par based on the 3D I've experienced with the 3DS.

But I'm not exactly the best to judge. I'm really excited for the 3D tech, who wouldn't wan't to play the the next big Mario title on the big screen in 1080p with 3D!?

bubby444

bubby444 said:

i can go with out the 3d on wii u.i mean it's cool and all but it's going to get vary expensive to buy the wii u as it is without 3d.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

Although it makes game development longer, devs should make optimum use of both sd, & hd visuals, & if the WiiU will be capable, 3d visuals, too. That way, the games' will support various types of displays. This would be wise, since not everyone has 3d displays yet, or even hd displays yet. I still use sd(standard def).

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Nintendo dropped support for the digital out port on the Game Cube because they claimed less than 2% of users used the component cables. However, nearly all of the 1st party Game Cube titles support progressive scan mode. This helps out a lot when playing on Wii hardware with the component cables and an HDTV.

Luigi's Mansion is claimed to be playable in 3D. I would love to get my hands on the fabled Game Cube dongle to make that a reality!

For those nay-sayers who object to using 3D goggles at home, glasses-free 3D will never be a reality for set top TVs. 3D visuals reqire some type of medium to transmit separate images to the left and right eyes. 3DS uses a parallax barrier to do this. That "sweet spot" can never be larger that a couple of inches. Move away from this point, and the 3D experience becomes double-imaged or distorted. This is achievable on the 3DS due to the screen's small size relative to the eyes, and would be totally impractical for a 40 inch television set.

The only way to achieve an immersive 3D experience without a tiny "sweet spot", is to use some type of filtering technology. Active goggles are battery-powered and use a digital LCD shutter to alternately pass every other frame to the left and right eyes. Passive goggles are much cheaper and lighter, but require an expensive display that emits alternating fields of polarized light.

I will probably wait until some technology consortium comes up with a universal standard for the viewing technology of 3D-capable consumer displays, which will drive the prices down and ensure compatibility.

C-195

C-195 said:

This is really old news, how come it took so long for it to be noticed here?

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

I do think Glassesless 3DTVs will happen. It's just far too early for it. I heard some companies were experimenting such as Samsung, Mitsubishi(?) and Sharp (considering they produce the screens for the 3DS).

I knew the WiiU would be capable of 3D. It's just not going to be a focus.

LeasTwanteD

LeasTwanteD said:

I can see why they wouldn't want to put too much ressources into 3D for Nintendo's own WiiU games. And i say just give us good games. And give 3rd parties the option to choose if they want to make their game 3D.
3D in most about every game would make more people buy the WiiU though i'd say.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

Why does it not sound like it is 3D ready out of the box? It would be able to do side by side 3D with no update. Frame sequential 3D may be more of an issue, but if it is on a par with the PS3, power wise, there would be no reason why it can't.

JustanotherGamer

JustanotherGamer said:

Well at least it is good that the Wii U is 3D ready out of the box. Should 3D televisions catch on with the general public Nintendo will be ready.

Malouff

Malouff said:

Better then 3D why not have D-Box motion code and try and get that technology mainstream. A lot of movies already have the D-Box code for them and so do some PC games.

PALgamer

PALgamer said:

Nintendo's Wii U is about giving options. Give 3D an option. Give third parties option of adopting 3D. Give the users the option to buy 3D TVs.

Options

SuperSonic

SuperSonic said:

@pikmaniac02 Hey, don't wrap up the 3DS's life up so quickly! To make up for the 3DS's apparently crappy launch, FIVE Mario games are on the way, and THREE of those at once. Not to mention the rest of the anticipated first party Nintendo games.
Yes, I can admit the 3DS's first months were boring (and kind of still are after beating Mercs 3D), but I LOOK FORWARD to what Nintendo's bringing us.

@BRAINFOX Genius!

2D was 4D ready... wait...

RyuZebian

RyuZebian said:

Well DUH. Obviously Wii U needs to be if it will ever want to compete with 360 and PS3. Good to have it official though!

Jonisme

Jonisme said:

Cinema 3D is a gimmick. (It's half baked; Avatar and some other's weren't but most were.)
HomeTheatre 3D is also a gimmick.
When it comes to gaming I don't know because I have not had the chance to touch a 3DS, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Tachnically, all you need is developers that implement a 3D mode and costumers owning 3D TV's. In a sense the Wii is technically 3D-capable.

It depends on developers entirely. Particularly PS3 developers are busy with 3D even though the hardware wasn't initially made with 3D in mind.

erv

erv said:

Nah.

3d is awesome and will happen. But not at the cost of halving your games' output, wearing silly glasses, switching to a screen that doesn't do anything with 3d.

Nah.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Meh. The inclusion of HDMI pretty much proved this information already. For me, though, 3D isn't worth the extra costs involved. In fact I just bought a TV and saved nearly a grand by purchasing an equal sized screen without the technology. That's a lot of tacos man.

luminalace

luminalace said:

The option is always good! It annoyed me that the Wii wasn't capable of outputting 720P when some X-Box 1 and PS2 games were capable of it last gen!

TrevorTheChan

TrevorTheChan said:

@BJQ1972 - Because he's made it clear that 3D is not something Nintendo is focusing on. It being technologically possible sounds to me, a functionality that isn't a standard feature. This is, of course, based off a translation and the final design could change I suppose, so who knows?

hydeks

hydeks said:

love 3D, but I have a 3DS and I have a normal LCD tv and I'm not upgrading anytime soon so yay, I could careless.

KinoSaol

KinoSaol said:

Why dosen't Ninny make the "Tablet" 3D. I would much rather have a HD TV with a glassless 3D/touch viewing in hand. You know thats how Playstation Vita with PS3 is most likly going to funtion but with a actual smaller mobile gaming unit. I mean that table better be WAY cheaper then a mobile gaming unit. Other wise they should have the 3DS replace that huge "Tablet". Were they think, "Hey? Why don't we make the coffie-table into a controler? Will bring new meaning to wii fitness!"