Your First Look at the Wii U Console

Posted by James Newton

Here it is

We've seen plenty of shots and video of the controller itself, but nothing so far of the actual Wii U console. That's all changed now, as Nintendo has revealed the first shot of the machine.

It looks rather like the original Wii, only more rounded, and not quite like the Super NES design some rumours pointed towards.

Do you like the look of the new machine?

Bensei

Bensei said:

Looks as if the Wii married the 360, and that's their child.
...oh snap, someone already posted that...

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Will it strand up? like the Wii does, actually it looks really good. Sadly though it now makes the wii look (all most) retro...

Looking forward to hear more info some day but at the moment it's enough for me, funny how rumours turn true though. (rumour has it the new Wii-U controller has a touch screen built in) Wow, did Nintendo steal the show?

TKOWL

TKOWL said:

I can see this just being a prototype. The final version will probably look a little bit better.

daznsaz

daznsaz said:

it looks ok was expecting something totally different cant wait to get one though ask if there taking preorders next time im at shop

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Wii and Xbox 360 must've been getting busy in the bedroom and made a child... looks too much like a 360 with a Wii paint job...

I think the controller looks more stylish to be honest.

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

Reminds me of an XBox 360 masquerading as a DVD player. Hey, if it has the horsepower, then who really cares? It's whats on the inside that counts.

J-Forest-Esq

J-Forest-Esq said:

I was hoping for something a little less Wii-like, just to change things up a bit, you know? I can live with this though.

Ecto-1

Ecto-1 said:

The concepts and ideas behind the new system are certainly interesting. My only concerns about the device are related to the cost.
I really don't like the name though. Sounds too much like Pii U. Maybe it will grow on me like "Wii" did, but at the moment, it just seems cringe worthy.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I don't think the design is as good as the wii. As others have said, it just looks like a 360 with a wii paint job.

rjejr

rjejr said:

I like the name as everybody is just going to say Wii 2 anyway so Wii U Wii 2 same thing. The measurements are almost exactly the same as the Wii (they're online somewhere). I like what I think is the disc light above the eject button as I sometimes wonder whether a game is in or not. I like the external sync button. No reset button? Well at least it isn't confusing like the Wii is now. All the Gamecube controller connections seem to be gone. What's that white nub sticking out of the side? Well whatever, it's here, it's HD, it's HDMI, it's small enough.

One thing missing though, if they are going to have it horizontal they should have built a stand into the top and the controller could have worked as a clock or digital frame like the Sony Dash continually plugged into 1 of the 4 USB ports for power. I guess stand sold separately ;-)

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

Seems like just an updated Wii instead of a totally new system...

Oh well. Still seems amazing. :)

SigourneyBeaver

SigourneyBeaver said:

SD flap spoils the look a bit. Would've been much nicer if the SD slot was just a slot like the optical drive.

Alphack3r

Alphack3r said:

Ya know, I was just thinkin' the other day about what it would be like if Nin10do and M$ made a console together...and this happened! I dunno, I just like Nintendo better, but Microsoft knows how to do connectivity. I mean, it's not like the Wii isn't capable of being a media hub, because homebrew can definitely do it for ya (aside from HD), but it's just so awesome when you stick a random disk into a 360 and it does something sensible, like let you access your media!
Meh, I guess we'll just have to wait and see won't we?
/prays

Henmii

Henmii said:

Looks very nice! Do you guys see that big lit under the disc-drive? Is that for sd cards and gamecube controllers, or does a hard-drive fit in there?

Ren

Ren said:

looks like a drug store dvd player. Better at least play DVDs.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I hope, & pray Nintendo will be smart, & if not from the start, later down the line via software update, allow users to connect better, more technologically up-to-date wireless internet receivers up to the console, or be able to plug a line of any internet/home network directly into the console, since that helps keep the console's internet access power up to date. Also, I hope the system will have more than 1 small fan in it.

Wolfenstein83

Wolfenstein83 said:

Looks like the Wii and the 360 got it on, and had a baby.
I would say it looks okay, nothing really amazing about the design, it is very simplistic, but we will finally have an HD Nintendo console, so I don't care too much how it looks.
Also, I don't know who thought it looked like a SNES, but they were really wrong.
I wish there was something in the pic so we could have a reference for size compared to the first Wii.
I heard some people say it's as big as the original X-Box, and I hope that isn't so, that thing was a monster.

TheAmazingRaccoon

TheAmazingRaccoon said:

Wii U: worst name ever. Console looks streamlined

EDIT: I like the curves on that console. Nod Nod Wink Wink, a nods as good as a wink to a blind bat.

Gameday

Gameday said:

What a name , but nintendo aint playing around this year with 1080p lets see what they do game wise and online gameplay.

motang

motang said:

I like it, I hope they keep that design (a round looking Wii). But that sync button can be moved to be behind the front flap like it is on the Wii though.

rhythmheavenfan

rhythmheavenfan said:

I agree with the people that say that the name of the console isn't very good. I also think I like the looks of the original Wii better.

Faron

Faron said:

looks good. just like the wii, i don't have to be embarrassed 'cause the way it looks (like in the case of gamecube)

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I'm just suprised how little they've shown of the console itself... The whole presentation they were going on & on about the controller, then in videos it looked like in the background was a Wii so I got confused if the controller was the console or not, glad NL is there for me to clear things up. Too bad the design is way too similar to a Wii for my liking.

vio

vio said:

Does look a little bit too much like 360, but at the same time it's much better than those supposed "leaked" photos of the console that looked like an external hard drive or something. It looks enough like a traditional console to please the "hardcore" gamers. And I guess that's the idea. Nintendo has clearly had enough being given stupid labels like for "casual" gamers or families or kids... Time for Nintendo to step up and show they can compete head on with Sony and Microcrap for the so called hardcore gamers.

hydeks

hydeks said:

it looks like the 360? what?!? people must have owned a VERY special version of the 360 that I never owned (have owned the old and new 360) bu the wii u looks like a rounder version of the wii, nothing much other than that ,but consider this, does it really matter anymore? I personally could careless how my system looks as long as the controller is comfortable, the system is powerful, and the games have tons of awesome experiences!