Japan Receives Red Wii in Honour of Mario's 25th

Posted by James Newton

Super special limited edition on the way

Nintendo already announced a limited edition red DSi XL to celebrate Mario's anniversary, but it's also put together a very special edition Wii console for Japan only.

Not only is the Wii itself in the plumber's favourite hue of red, the Wii Remote is one of the new Wii Remote Plus designs containing MotionPlus built-in. The machine also comes with classic Super Mario Bros. built-in, but there's a twist: ? block have been changed to say 25 in honour of Mario's 25th anniversary.

The console is due out on November 11th priced at ¥20,000 (around $240/£150/€173), with no word on a Western release.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Gamesake

Gamesake said:

Oh, man! That was the color I wanted... before I discovered it only came in white. Looks like my brother is getting a slightly used Wii for Christmas.

WolfRamHeart

WolfRamHeart said:

Wow! Words just can't describe how incredibly cool this is! They sure went all out for this special edition.

Bobpie

Bobpie said:

Another "Japan Receives ______ _______ in Honour of Mario's 25th" post?
when do wii get something.....
yay for my crap pun

James

James said:

It's a running joke that they get all the good stuff whilst we don't.

2-D

2-D said:

If we don't get All Stars AT LEAST I'm gonna be pretty annoyed.
Not too fussed about this, cause it's just red. It should have a big white M on it or something, other than that it's just a red Wii with a pointless 'special' version of SMB on it.
Either way, disappointing that it's Japan only for now. I know there's a lot of people out there who'd want one of these

NFreak007

NFreak007 said:

So Japan gets all this cool stuff for the 25th Anniversary of Mario and what do we get? An advert with a bunch of celebrities no one likes telling us how great Mario games that most of us have already bought are. Great. Thanks a bunch, Nintendo UK!

NFreak007

NFreak007 said:

@James Newton

I take back everything I said above. Thats fantastic! To be honest, I'd rather get that than a console I already own but in a new colour!

JimLad

JimLad said:

I WANTED THIS COLOUR BACK IN 2005 AND YOU MADE ME GET WHITE ARRGRHRHGRJHRGHRRHHH!!!!!!
Nice remote though, do JP remotes work on PAL Wiis?

Steady on JimLad! - Mod Team

GamesX99

GamesX99 said:

This is just a white Wii spray painted red :P in a year and a half it will all come off

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

am I the only one that wants a side by side, mario and luigi or mario and bowser

zezhyrule

zezhyrule said:

I want it... At least the red controller and the edited SMB, don't need a new Wii.

Taya

Taya said:

Like so many here, I wanted red when they showed the concept colours back before the Wii came out.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Agree with zezhroom - already have a Wii but would like a nice red rubber coated WiiPlus, maybe when Skyward Sword releases?

Splat

Splat said:

It's cool and all but not cool enough to buy a new Wii just for the color.

LuWiiGi

LuWiiGi said:

I don't have a Wii, so I'd kill for this. Nintendo is just cruel making this Japan-only. Please, you've already given Japan the DSi XL and Super Mario All-Stars, it's not fair that they get EVERYTHING.

irken004

irken004 said:

Ehhh, it's a nice color but not for me.
Why is it so tough to make a gray console/handheld? :(

KyubiStewie

KyubiStewie said:

@Sabrewing Don't worry, since All-Stars is heading to Europe. There's a chance that it might come here, too. If it does, I'll be buying this as a gift for my little brother. He's already growing up on Retro games after I let him play Sonic Mega Collection and LoZ: Ocarina of Time.

EdEN

EdEN said:

New color Wii+Special Exclusive SMB edition = at least 1 million consoles sold.

BulbasaurusRex

BulbasaurusRex said:

Actually, Super Mario Bros. didn't come to the West until 1986, so our 25th anniversary isn't until next year. Maybe we'll get some of this stuff then.

Collinhall

Collinhall said:

Yay. Japan gets all the sweet stuff while nintendo give us americans a crappy video on their site. Nintendo = Racist

fishman100

fishman100 said:

@Collinhall Well, what do you expect? If someone started a Nintendo-like company in the US that became even MORE famous then Nintendo, then the people in the US would get a LOT of benefits-like earlier releases, exclusive colors, cool and improved products, and more!

So it kinda makes sense that Nintendo is giving japan a lot of stuff we don't have yet; after all, Nintendo is a Japan-based company.

jayo

jayo said:

@fishman100- Not only that, but I believe it is a cultural thing in Japan to make all these special things, more so than in the US. It's just the way we are!
@Collinhall- Hey, at least it's something! And maybe it is a hint that we might, just might, get some of this too!
@2D- I agree, it should have the M on it, and maybe some more Mario decals. I have a Wii so I'm not interested either, unless they'd let me transfer everything from my Wii to it! And I think it should've been preloaded with the VC versions of Donkey Kong, Mario Bros, and SMB 1-3. And New Super Mario Bros Wii should replace Wii sports as a pack-in!

Pj1

Pj1 said:

A little while I ago I was bored and made a list of things I'd release if I ran Nintendo, one of things I put on that list was a Red Wii-mote! Last Christmas I bought myself a black Wii thinking out loud "limited edition, I must get it won't be around forever" ten months later it's still avalable at a very decent price in the UK. Also I thought that the black Wii would only be available in black, Nintendo are just regenerating in my opinion and the red Wii's will maybe replace the black ones. I bet this is what they might do and dangling a carrot at potential Wii buyers include it with New Super Mario bros as in pack game, I'd Love it if it was Super Mario All Stars but I don't think Nintendo would do that.

I'd buy a Red Wii but this time next year a blue one will be announced, So I'm not sure. It's not like they have announced the red Wii for the UK yet is it?

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

This will definitely be on Ebay soon. However, keeping it factory-sealed, not selling it for some years, & then selling it would make it more expensive, & justifiably so.