First Cave Story DSiWare Screenshots

Posted by Corbie Dillard

Portable Cave Story in action

With the recent news that Cave Story is indeed headed to the DSiWare service this fall, screenshots of the game in action have already become hotly anticipated. Luckily, we were able to get our hands on three shots of the game in action for you to enjoy.

We'll keep you posted on any new information on the DSiWare version of Cave Story and we'll have a full review of the game shortly after its release later this year.

You can read on for the official statement from Nicalis on the subject.

So officially speaking:

• Yes, there is a forthcoming Cave Story for DSiWare
  • Yes, it's really awesome and has Pixel's blessing; he recently played it a few weeks back and loved it
  • Yes, the EU version for WiiWare is still scheduled to be released; we commissioned Orioto to create this AWESOME Cave Story painting in celebration of both.
  • And the game is actually DONE, we're currently in final testing internally

Hokori

Hokori said:

oh darn I thought it would be a sequel... or a new one at least... oh well

Slapshot

Slapshot said:

Heck yeah, I downloaded the Freeware version and it was really buggy. Ill get this portable for sure as I just didnt want to pay the asking price on WiiWare. Ill pay for it portable though.

CorbsAdmin

Corbs said:

Man the DSiWare service is heating up big time! I can't WAIT to get my hands on this one. Loved the WiiWare game and now I can take it with me wherever I go! :)

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

"And the game is actually DONE, we're currently in final testing internally"

:O And they waited until now to announce it!? I've already beaten the WiiWare version, but I'll gladly pick this up to support Pixel, Nicalis, and my portable Cave Story needs!

Philip_J_ReedStaff

Philip_J_Reed said:

"And they waited until now to announce it!?"

I wish more people waited until games were done (or just about done) to announce them. Remember how many "Where the heck is Cave Story?" posts and threads we had about the WiiWare version?

SilverBaretta

SilverBaretta said:

@Chicken Brutus
That's true, I suppose it makes more sense for a game that caused that much of an uproar to be announced so close to completion, but I still think hype is a good thing (for the most part) in gaming, just not for this game in particular.

YoshiSage

YoshiSage said:

This + Shantae = epic plus more epic times epic to the power of epic. And right after the DSiWare let us down again! Whee! :D

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

So it's been confirmed?! Awesome! I can't wait! Unlike CS for Wiiware, I have no legit reason not to get it!

Kurona

Kurona said:

Considering how awesome the PC game is, I'm looking forward to this one. But I think I'd like new features, like the WiiWare version, because the original was free, and as great as the game is, I'd like more justification.

Link79

Link79 said:

They still need to fix the sound and bugs in the Wiiware version.
Are they ever going to patch it? I heard Europe is getting a fixed version.
Wouldn't be fair to not include americans.

2-D

2-D said:

Can I actually have my Wii version first? Pleaaaaaaaaaaaase!?!?!

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I would buy it, but not until Nintendo steps up and offers us a solution to transfer DSiware to other machines. PAL Wiiware version is almost here, don't worry. =)

turtlelink

turtlelink said:

The good thing about announcing this late is that you don't have to wait very long for it to come out ;)

SuperMarioFan96

SuperMarioFan96 said:

I didn't realise there was confirmination about this. Wow!

Although I'm not getting too excited over "done." Remember the last time a very similar game also named Cave Story released for a Nintendo download service was said to be "done"?

paulcmnt

paulcmnt said:

Where's the EU version? Ah, screw this, I'm done waiting for you, I'm going to play it anyway.

Pod

Pod said:

So... it's releasing on WiiWare and DSiWare in Europe around the same time? Or will we have to wait for the DSi version?

Because frankly, I'd rather play that.

ZarroTsu

ZarroTsu said:

For the love of GOD don't skimp on the music again. Or I'll have every reason to complain. (vs most other reasons to complain)

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'm annoyed that the wiiware version isn't out in eu yet but even though it means waiting longer, I think I'll get this version because of it being portable.

Armand

Armand said:

First Shantae release date and now Cave Story for DSiWare !, great news .

Token_Girl

Token_Girl said:

@Shiryu

Same here. I also want to see all the bugs (well, at least the game-breaking ones, I know there's no way to get rid of them all) fixed from the WW version before plunking down my cash on a previously free game.

EdEN

EdEN said:

So, will they re-release the Wiiware version over here to correct the music?

EdEN

EdEN said:

And the map on the bottom screen on DS is just great since it will make the game even more fast paced.

ToastyYogurt

ToastyYogurt said:

@Slapshot: What do you mean, bugs in the freeware version? I've almost played through the entire freeware game (not including the sanctuary, I'm on the final boss) and I haven't found any bugs. Maybe the version you got was broken for some reason.

HvE

HvE said:

:O Now THAT was a surprise! I had for long lost my hopes for a DS version, and here it comes! That's great! XD

Punny

Punny said:

Now I know what to do with the points left over from getting Shantae: Risky's Revenge! Thanks, Nicalis!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

I would've rathered played this game portable... I knew I shoulda waited, I was already playing other stuff in the meantime anyway. Silly, silly me :(

PSICOffee

PSICOffee said:

If I had a dsi i'd pick this up. I'd love to support pixel and the possible other games he'll port to the consoles, and having a portable cave story is the best possible option to play the game! :)

NapalmHornet

NapalmHornet said:

So what centuary is this coming out in? I mean Nicalis arn't the best at getting their games out on a release date we haven't got the wii one yet. They seem to be able to make games in a matter of weeks or months but then certainly take their time testing it and then forget about europe.