Nintendo Download: Rygar, Solomon's Key, Spaceball and Solitaire (EU)

Posted by Marcel van Duyn

The last two weeks had no new Virtual Console games, but this time there's two.

Finally, some more Virtual Console Arcade support from a publisher other than Sega! It's not Namco, with their gigantic catalogue of arcade games already available in Japan, but rather Tecmo, who has chosen to release two more of their coin-op classics.

Rygar is very different from the more well-known NES game of the same name - Instead of featuring both overhead and side-scrolling stages, this one only offers the latter. Don't be fooled into thinking it's easy though - In order to suck the coins out of your pockets, enemies appear often and in large numbers, meaning you need to have lighting-fast reflexes to take them out before taking a single fatal hit yourself. Although we don't have the NES game yet (Or perhaps because we don't have it yet?) this will run you 600 Wii Points, which is quite strange - Just look how much the game below costs!

Solomon's Key is the arcade counterpart of the NES game which has been available since the Wii's release - You take the role of Dana, a wizard, as you make your way through a dungeon. In each stage, you must find a key to open up a door and then escape through it. Of course it's not as simple as it sounds - The key and door are often in hard to reach locations and guarded by plenty of monsters. In order to reach them you'll have to make use of Dana's magic powers - He can make blocks appear and disappear anywhere he wants, as long as he's close to the location in question. Strangely, unlike Sega, Tecmo has chosen not to increase the game's price over the version already available - This one will cost you 500 Wii Points as well! We'll review both new arcade games soon.

WiiWare gets one previously announced game - Spaceball: Revolution by Virtual Toys, who previously released Yummy Yummy Cooking Jam. We're not quite sure what to think of this one - The goal is to throw balls past moving obstacles at a grid in the back of each stage, thereby either lighting up or darkening squares on it. Ultimately, in each stage you must recreate predetermined patterns on the grid. For 800 Wii Points we're not sure if what's there will really be worth it, but you never know! We'll review it within the next few days.

DSiWare also only gets a single new game, which has been on the coming soon list for quite a while - Nintendo's very own 2-in-1 Solitaire. It features two different card games, which means that for the 200 DSi Point price you're basically getting 2 games for 100 points each - In Spider, you must arrange cards in piles of a single suit, from King down to Ace. In Klondike, you must arrange cards from Ace to King in four different piles - One for each suit. For 200 DSi Points we can't imagine you really being to go wrong with this, but we'll review it soon.

The Virtual Console has thankfully gotten some new games this week! Will you be downloading anything?

[via officialnintendomagazine.co.uk]

Related Games

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Its about time NOE stepped up with some VC support. They really should have included Super Star Wars as well.

I agree with Link to the Future. Rygar for the NES would be my choice as well.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Where's LiT. Please release it. Please. Nothing else for me though. No idea what to think about Spaceball: Revolution.

Devastator

Devastator said:

I would like to see Primal Rage, Double Dragon, and TMNT make to the arcade to download.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

One wiiware game only AGAIN?! Where's Monkey Island Ep 2?!

Anyway, Spaceball is on my radar, but I need a review to determine whether I will get it. Solitaire 2 in 1 is an insta-download.

Ristar42

Ristar42 said:

Both those games were on the X-box 1 'Tecmo Classic Arcade' disc (along with 9 others) for which I paid £8.00. They're not that great either - how about they release some more SEGA arcade games..?

Omega

Omega said:

@Sneaker13: Hmm, good question. I have asked Wayforward (again) on September 4th and they answered:

"It's completed and in submission at Nintendo EUR right now. It should be released soon after it passes through submission there, however we don't have a more specific date at this time."

So Nintendo is (still) holding it back apparently. Naughty Nintendo! :-)

the_shpydar

the_shpydar said:

Oy! Lucky EU. Hoping that either Rygar or Solomon's comes to the US soon, preferably both, as they're both insta-buys for me.

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

So... you're skipping the chart this week eh? Also, boring update, move along, nothing to see here.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

I'll get Solitaire, since I only have 200 DSi points left :)

Also, I think we'll see Lit in October.

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

Thanks for the info Omega, I hope it will be released very soon cause I can't wait.

Rapadash6

Rapadash6 said:

Hey, wait a minute... how come when we went two weeks without a VC game we only got ONE game when they came back? I guess it's pointless for me to complain but that doesn't mean I have to be happy about it.

jhuhn

jhuhn said:

The PAL areas now have 2 more VC arcade games than over here in North America, but I'm sure hoping that one of them will be coming out in the North America region later this month.

Download headline: Spaceballs use card keys for Rygar.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Yes I'll be downloading something tonight. The final chapter to The After Years! And America has never experienced regular alternating weeks with WiiWare and VC so us getting two VC games this week is not getting one over the Americans. You guys are still better off in terms of regular games.

taffy

taffy said:

Think i'll pass for this week. Just waiting for monkey island 2 and super star wars saga to come over... and super mario kart and lit :(

gabikun

gabikun said:

I'd love to see Solomon's Key for DSI Ware. That game was one of my first games back in the 80's.
I think I won't download this week's release. Playing card solitaires doesn't excite me....

longtimegamer

longtimegamer said:

These look like arcade games that i might be interested in. Particularly Rygar. Are these on any compilations? Still sucks that you don't get them every week though.

@Bass X0- I Think you got lucky getting 2 arcade titles at the same time. It'll probly take us people in America forever to 2 more of these. If NOA follows the normal 1 a week.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Wow, I feel like I got jacked getting the Japanese RYGAR for 800pts -- still I've been getting Megadrive games for 600pts, so I guess it all evens out. Good to see the Tecmo games coming out quickly; not sure what the hold-up is with the Namco and Sega games though...

maka

maka said:

I was hooked on Rygar on the Arcade as a kid and then played the ZX Spectrum version to death (never made it too far though...) so i'll be gatting that one :)

maka

maka said:

BTW, when is Rock'n'Roll Climber coming to Europe? I'm really looking forward to playing it!

Adamant

Adamant said:

@maka: "Are the levels for the arcade version of Salomon's Key different than the ones in the NES version?"

Solomon's Key for the NES is based off the original arcade game, but isn't a direct port, more of a console-styled remake. Some levels in the NES game are based off levels from the arcade game, others aren't. Both games are very deserving of a place in your collection.

Josey_Wales

Josey_Wales said:

PATHETIC! The VC is getting worse & worse nowadays, where on earth are the "Super Star Wars" trilogy of games?

IMO the VC is fast becoming a complete waste of space, Nintendo just don't seem to bother with decent release's anymore, very dissapointing.

JW

Klapaucius

Klapaucius said:

I was considering Solomon's Key for my free NES game, and now the arcade versions on VC? I'm torn between which to download, so looking forward to the review!

opeter

opeter said:

I am really interested in Spaceball. Will the be a review in 2-3 days?

That_Guy_from_Faxana

That_Guy_from_Faxana said:

Pretty cool arcadegames. I don´t have many fond memories of the era, in Sweden you had to be 15 years everywhere to play. Games like Rygar (and Ninja Gaiden) are pretty interesting anyway since they are completely different from the console versions.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I'm surprised at the amount of complaints considering that one of these arcade titles is being released in the same week as it was in Japan and how few VCA games have been released outside of Japan, but I guess everyone's priorities are different.

@opeter: I'm attached to review Spaceball: Revolution. I've only downloaded it this morning and read the operations guide, but it looks like it has potential to be a good arcade-style puzzle game. No motion control seems to be used, just pointer and A/B button. Hopefully I'll have a review up before the week-end is out!

maka

maka said:

@Adamant: Thanks! I spent all my points, but will consider it in the future...

BTW, Rygar is quite hard, but thankfully you have an unlimited supply of coins in this version :D

Djungelurban

Djungelurban said:

@Sean <b>Aaron</b>:
Well, it would be much funner if the arcade games released weren't always games that already are available on console, and even more so games that already are on the VC in some form or another. How about giving us something new... Or DoDonPachi... I'd be alright with that too.

ECM

ECM said:

Am I crazy or did you delete my post about Rygar and then edit your original post to remove the mistake I pointed out?? I realize it looks bad that it appeared you've never actually played the game when commenting on its (supposed) features, but removing my post and then covering your tracks is pretty shady stuff.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

Rygar does look good judging the screen shots and I saw some video of the game! to support VC I might down load it. Looking forward for Super Mario Kart to come in the shop, I'm predicting a Christmas release for it...

I'm hoping that a VC is announced for DSi soon.

KeroKero_Cola

KeroKero_Cola said:

I'm still holding off on downloading the final chapter of The After Years simply because I've only played through two challenge dungeons. A lot of my other characters/files are very underleveled.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Rygar was fun. Might get the VCA version of Solomon's Key just for the extra options and infinite continues.