Shovel Knight Sales Numbers Revealed by Yacht Club Games

Posted by Karen Halloran

Indie developer rocks the boat

Actual sales figures are some of the most closely guarded secrets in the games industry, but Yacht Club Games has posted the full story of developing the indie hit Shovel Knight from its initial Kickstarter campaign to first full month of release, complete with approximate sales figures on Wii U eShop and 3DS eShop in North America and on Steam for PC internationally (as an English-only release).

Yacht Club Games' post also provides extensive data on the expenses involved in developing a game and how far Shovel Knight's successful Kickstarter campaign went in covering costs, and the breakdown is certainly surprising; yet it's also very good to see, especially in light of some recent and highly public Kickstarter fiascos.

Although developing a game with such a tight budget can be very hard on game staff, this story has a happy ending. The sales figures given by Yacht Club Games are only approximate, but Shovel Knight had already exceeded sales projections in its first week of release, and is currently sitting at approximately 180,000 copies sold across all platforms — if you break that down on the percentages given, that's 48,600 on Wii U and 59,400 on 3DS. Once again, we do recommend you check out the full article.

Are you still holding out for the European/Australian eShop releases of Shovel Knight, or did you go to PC instead? Is a Shovel Knight 2 something you'd be willing to support in future or would you look for a different game in the same style from this developer next? Let us know!

[via yachtclubgames.com]

Related Games

outburst

outburst said:

Still waiting for EU Wii U... I'd like them to make a new game/IP/Character with a similar concept then later make a game with these characters from various games teaming up to face a common enemy. Kinda like Konami's World on the Famicom.

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

3 platforms, right?
Those Wii U numbers are pretty dang good then with PC being one of the 3 :|

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Itching to play this. Would love to see Nintendo step in and help the guys at YC get a retail release at some point too.

Steel76

Steel76 said:

I hope they make Shovel Knight 2,3,4,5 and 6, and then move on to 16bit with Shovel Knight X 1,2 and 3.......and then they´ll probably screw up the series, by going 3D from there on ;)

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

Waiting for EU release...
Also, that means Wii U sold roughly half (Edit: a wee bit more than half!) of the PC sales!!! That is INCREDIBLE!

Heng-Yu

Heng-Yu said:

Can someone please let me know if this game has ever been on special sale in the eshop (preferably on the 3DS) since its release?

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I'm in love with these guys: " For all of you who had doubts that a Wii U game or a digital game on a Nintendo platform could sell, we hope these facts show that a good game on any system, marketed the right way, can sell." some third party devs with some sense!!

MAB

MAB said:

By the time it hits our shores my interest just won't be there because I will be playing other games instead ;)

Josaku

Josaku said:

Loving these numbers, but I would love it even more if it would be released in the EU already . . . but they are getting more and more likeable with each passing aktion they make. first the website where you can see what is left to do for the releas in the EU/Australia/Japan and now this. I really like them ^^

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

Very much interested in Shovel Knight, the PC version is tempting since it already is available. We will unfortunately have to wait eternity until the Wii U & 3DS European releases come available, why not just release the English language version for Europe and patch the other languages in later?

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Glad it's selling well for them. I'd have bought it on Wii U but went with Steam instead because of the messy EU release. They can try and blame translations or blame ratings boards but I can't think of any other indie games that's delayed the European release like this, from devs much smaller.

SilentHunter382

SilentHunter382 said:

I can't wait for when my EU key arrives. At least they have all the translation gotten so far to put it into the game.

SCAR392

SCAR392 said:

I haven't bought it. I have $10 worth of eShop promo money, but I'm kind of torn between this, Scram Kitty, or anything in the $1-15 range, really, and I only need to spend $3 to get $5 more.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

YachtClub Games, great job on the game, but your localization team sucks :P
I really hope that for their pretty much guaranteed next game, they figured out when to start localization for a simultanious release ;)
Other than that: Thats how you make a name for yourself !

Artwark

Artwark said:

They did a fantastic job making the game! I'm certainly looking forward to their next game as well as a sequel! ;)

Ricube

Ricube said:

It's so cool that they are showing all the expenses in making a game. It really shows their transparency. Read the article if you didn't. It' really interesting.

MJKOP

MJKOP said:

Wow very interesting reading the article, they deserve all their success and they've just earned another sale from me, when it makes it out on my side of the pond. Wii U I think, who knows maybe I'll get it for 3DS too! Definitely a Nintendo platform regardless

spizzamarozzi

spizzamarozzi said:

I like how this company keeps fans updated - well deserved achievement. And, if I'm not mistaken, Steam releases worldwide, while the WiiU and 3DS versions of Shovel Knight have been out only in the US - this means that if the game was launched in Europe at the same time, the WiiU and 3DS numbers would have destroyed the PC numbers, and a game selling more on WiiU than on Steam is practically unheard of at this point in time.

ashlyquin

ashlyquin said:

I got the PC version so my "house of kids" had a new game to play and they LOVE IT!!!! What a masterpiece...... Shovel2 would be good but ....please take your time to make it "right".

schizor

schizor said:

My hype is very low because of the NA release only a month ago. Starting to annoy me just a little bit. I could play it on steam but I just feel that this game should be played on either my Wii U or 3DS :-/

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

@Heng-Yu Why would it be on sale when it just released just over a month ago. I wouldn't expect a 3ds sale to happen for another 5 to 6 months tbh.

@Peach64 Really, you can't think of one? I can think of about 10-15. Moon Chronicles is the first to come to mind not to mention almost everything they make takes forever to come your way. There is quite a few devs that complain about the rating process over in Europe. Most however just do what needs to be done but a few will go the cheapest route they can.

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

I read the whole thing and love how they shared all this with us. Its good to see and I hope they reach that 1 million total. After all we need more games from them to play. Now maybe they can hire more people and get the game out even quicker if said goal is ever reached.

liavcol

liavcol said:

I can't belive it: 180,000 * 15 = 2,700,000 $!
There's no way they haven't covered the expenses on the game... Yhea I guess I should really read the whole article...

appel

appel said:

I love my 3DS but I'm getting annoyed by all those delayed releases for Europe. Besides Shovel Knight, I'm also still waiting for Flipnote Studio 3D and Brain Training: Concentration Training - will those titles ever be released in Europe at all?

Pod

Pod said:

I backed the game, so I'm waiting for my Wii U eShop copy.

I so rarely play games on Steam anyway.

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

"Nintendo fans will only buy Nintendo games"

"If it is not Mario/Zelda, it won't sell"

Yeah right.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

@ChessboardMan I doubt it, I firmly believe these guys really proved that third parties can have successful releases on Nintendo's consoles, even when unfairly compared to worldwide PC sales.

Ryno

Ryno said:

Everybody really needs to read this entire article on their web page to find out the true costs of developing a game.

Jellitoe

Jellitoe said:

contemplating getting this, but not sure if I should get in on the Wii U, or 3DS.

Mommar

Mommar said:

I bought it on 3DS and WiiU. I'll take a second, third and fourth game. The first one was too short!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Ryno I have read it. At what point does something like this do well enough that the 6 people can buy a house cash (If they need to) invest the rest and never have to think about money ever again. Capcom got Megaman 9 & 10 done for $50,000 how did they manage that ? They took less risk than Retro City Rampage I think as well. There is also Retro Game Crunch (7 games 7 months and they are all pretty good probably no individual one is as good but there is 7 of them done by less people).

Bulbousaur

Bulbousaur said:

Still waiting for the Wii U version to be released in Europe. If it does go on sale on Steam before it does go on the European eShop, I will probably get it there as well, I don't mind buying it twice to support them.

Terrible_Majesty

Terrible_Majesty said:

"For all of you who had doubts that a Wii U game or a digital game on a Nintendo platform could sell, we hope these facts show that a good game on any system, marketed the right way, can sell." - Yacht Club Games

Grimlock_King

Grimlock_King said:

If Shovel Knight 2 is eventual made. I really hope they go for a Super Nintendo look for the game. 256 color palette, mode 7 scaling and rotation. And don't forget the incredible sound processer made by Sony for the SNES. It would make for a truely upgraded sequel.

JarredBuzzo

JarredBuzzo said:

I love this game, bought it twice. I really do wish Nintendo would rip-off Sony's idea and make games cross-buy. Oh well, love this game either way!

FrostPM

FrostPM said:

Seriously guys - when it's gonna be released on 3DS in Europe? I want to spend my money on this but I want to play on the go, not on my PC. This region locking for a portable console is ridiculous.