More Single Player Details Enter The Battle in Super Smash Bros. For Nintendo 3DS

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Kid Icarus-style difficulty adjustment, branching paths, Multi-Man Smash

We've seen some glimpses of the single player component in Super Smash Bros. for Nintendo 3DS over recent months, with footage of a character of choice marching across an overworld with multiple paths. In a series of updates to the official website, one that's caught our eye is some information that helps fill out these single player options in the game; there are still some mysteries, of course.

In terms of the Classic mode, you can see some screens below of the diverging paths, and a few examples of CPU challenges that will feature, along with power-ups and rewards that are received depending on performance.

The next feature is particularly welcome, with Masahiro Sakurai adopting the sliding difficulty scale from Kid Icarus: Uprising; use your in-game currency to adjust the 'intensity' with greater spoils for defeating a challenge on a difficult setting — defeat sees you lost the 'bet', naturally.

As for the Stadium area, we've seen the Target Blast and Home-Run Contest mini-games before, but Multi-Man Smash is a first appearance for the 3DS entry. Multi-Man mode has been in the previous two entries, in which you fight as many opponents as possible with set rules, and this version appears to indicate that you'll fight a range of Mii characters; no specific details have been given yet.

Do you like the look of these details? Do you expect to spend a lot of time in single player honing your skills? Let us know in the comments below.

Thanks to PtM for the heads up.

[via smashbros.com]

2Sang

2Sang said:

sweet this is what I was hoping from corocoro

Also, great idea of using miis for multiman battle instead of wireframes or alloys. It's boring to fight the same looking thing over and over again, at least miis will look a lot different from each other.

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

Funny how much info pops up when you decide to keep away a little, ha.

@2Sang Yeah, that'll make it a bit more interesting to go through.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

When are we going to find out what they're doing for 1 player on Wii U?

PS Where is 90s Arcade Racer?

Samuel-Flutter

Samuel-Flutter said:

I'm really liking the look of that "classic" mode. The diverging paths and the new difficulty/reward system will definitely be a welcomed editions to the game. It's the little changes that get me excited, if you know what I mean.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

I'm not a big fan of the Home Run Contest, but it's nice that it's back. I like that they're using Mii's in the Multi-Man Smash, that minigame is always fun in short bursts. Target Blast will most likely not be my cup of tea.

The Classic Mode sounds like a huge step back from SSE in Brawl to me. Sounds pretty lackluster in comparisson.

I definitely see why they've been pushing Smash Run a lot. That definitely seem to be this versions "big thing".

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I love the new Classic Mode, and Mii Fighters as the new Multi-Man enemies is a great idea. I wonder if they will be Miis from your console's Mii Plaza or just generic Miis?

It's also a little interesting that we can earn trophies as rewards for clearing a match. Before, you could only get those by playing a minigame in Classic Mode, but now they can be earned in a normal match. I'm sure this is because there's so many more trophies this time than in Brawl.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Wii U version gets these modes or something similar. We all know they're hiding the single-player modes for that.

wayward

wayward said:

@DestinyMan

Sakurai has stated that mii's from your system will show up in the tomodachi life stage; I'm sure something similar will happen with multi-man battle.

Iggly

Iggly said:

Oh my, now I actually have a purpose to use my coins that isn't trophy minigames? It's sweet that it's going the way Kid Icarus Uprising did its difficulty levels, the risk vs reward type of stuff is always welcomed.

Jazzer94

Jazzer94 said:

Intensity 9.0 all the way, I'm liking the whole getting back to Melee single player approach.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Nintenjoe64

They don't care about the Wii U version, didn't you know?

but seriously, I'd like to know as well as I am not getting the 3DS version but so far, the Wii U version lacks everything.

Starwolf_UK

Starwolf_UK said:

Clock and battery meter on bottom screen. That is secret best feature (I loved having that in Pokemon Gen V).

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

@ikki5

Something tells me Sakurai is holding back a lot of info about the Wii U version until the 3ds on is released so we buy the 3ds version and then see all the other stuff the Wii U one has in it. I think it's odd there's been a lot of voice acting, set pieces and what seems like story alluded to in the Wii U footage which hasn't been explained. We may not get Subspace Emissary, but I wouldn't be surprised if we get an Injustice like bonus set piece game to play through.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@MrGawain yeah I have the feeling too and really, it is one of the worst ideas to do as it will just hurt the Wii u sales. The people who want the game but can only get one will most likely go for the 3DS one if that is the case as they will see the 3DS with everything the Wii U version has plus extras.

Also, why is voice acting weird? There was some in Brawl. Not as much but there was some so this being the newer version, you'd expect that to be expanded and improved anyway.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

It seems to me that content wise, the 3ds version is striving to be on par with Melee. That's fine but I really do hope that the Wii U version has even more game modes and single player content as Brawl.

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

I hope the Wii U version has more features and , for both games (maybe), that Classic Mode has that "Reach the Gate" from Melee's Classic. I really missed that in Brawl.
And I hope he Wii U has Target Smash... with individuals for each characters.

ultraraichu

ultraraichu said:

Nice. With all the machine gun fires they have with the 3ds announcements, it make me curious about the missiles they have hiding in the back for the Wii U version.
Curse the with their zip-up big mouth chapapa.

bouncer0304

bouncer0304 said:

I'm calling it now- with the miis you'll battle people you have streetpassed. The 3ds version is looking great and i'm glad it's not being treated 2nd class.
As for the Wii U, i think what they'll do is focus on the 3ds version then as soon as that is out, the Wii U version will have a massive direct to itself. They haven't forgotten it. I now see though that they were wise to release one version first. There's so much with the 3ds already that adding the Wii U one into the mix at the same time would confuse people. So by doing it this way, they can say wjat is similar but be clear about the differences. All in good time people :-)

Ryu_Niiyama

Ryu_Niiyama said:

They are not going to hype the game that is coming out at the end of the year instead of the game that comes out in a few months. Ya'll make it sound like the WiiU version is going to be a barren wasteland and we all know that isn't true.

Pretty excited by all of the modes revealed.

dok5555555

dok5555555 said:

What's Target Blast? Is it the same as the original's Break the Targets. Seems different from the icon.

hiptanaka

hiptanaka said:

@Nintenjoe64 I'm guessing 90s Arcade Racer went into the Nicalis black hole. They picked that up didn't they? Expect it in 2016 (and never in Europe). /bitter rant

FlaygletheBagel

FlaygletheBagel said:

I'm not big on the amount of single player content in the game - it feels weak by Brawl standards, but I suppose that's to be expected. I think they spiced up the traditional Classic Mode enough to keep me from getting bored with single player. Still, beating Classic with every character will still feel like a grind every now and then.

I've got this version pre-ordered though and can't wait to play it!

Monkeh

Monkeh said:

Does this also mean we get to set the CPU level in normal Smash Battles to 2.1-9.0 (so f.e. 7.3 being a possibility)?

Also, yay classic mode! Looking good. :)

ikki5

ikki5 said:

@Ryu_Niiyama
well, look at it, The 3DS version has been getting everything announce for it for the last few months and the Wii U version has had nothing. If they save everything until after the 3DS version is out, people who only plan to buy one are not even going to consider the Wii U version. All they are doing is hurting the Wii U version by showing everything for 3DS only making it look as the 3DS is a definitive version and yeah, as it looks not, the 3DS version is.

SpaceGhost11

SpaceGhost11 said:

I probably won't need to buy another 3DS game ever again once this comes out, because I don't see myself removing the cartridge.

KiwiPanda

KiwiPanda said:

Mii's for Multi-Man Melee seem a lot more welcoming. Whatever the things in the other Smashes were scared me. >____<"

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Bonus pounts if we'll be able to filter which Miis get used. I wanna be able to fight all my random mooks that I made for facing in Smash! :P