Princess Daisy Costume Confirmed For Bayonetta

Posted by Damien McFerran

Dressing up is fun

Nintendo has previously revealed that you'll be able to use Samus, Peach and Link costumes in Bayonetta on the Wii U, but eagle-eyed fans have spotted that screenshots show a fourth costume selection slot.

Given the colours and flower design used in the mystery icon, some had predicted that it would be an outfit for Princess Daisy of Sarasaland, who first appeared in Super Mario Land on the Game Boy.

The footage below confirms the rumour, with Princess Daisy footage showing up around the 3 minute mark:

[via neogaf.com, gonintendo.com]

Nathan

Nathan said:

Too bad the face is dog ugly. Put Daisy's face on, and it will be 10 times better.

Jollykarp

Jollykarp said:

Nintendo costumes in other games just look a bit odd to me. I think it might work better if there were more Nintendo characters with realistic proportions (well, stylised proportions similar to other games).

DrwngInBrwngs

DrwngInBrwngs said:

Hooray! My favorite Nintendo character!
Hi, I'm Daisy!
I agree with you, however, Jollykarp; these costumes do look and feel very out of place, but a Daisy/Bayonetta sandwich is about the hottest thing on the planet so I'm inclined to go with it.

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

Just an FYI for anyone who cares. Bayonetta is not realistically proportioned either. I remember reading the designer saying Bayonetta was proportioned to look like/feel like a spider. Big rear-end, painfully long limbs, and tiny head.

DrwngInBrwngs

DrwngInBrwngs said:

@ThreadShadow Excellent point. I was trying to figure out why these costumes looked so off. Oh well, we get the first Bayonetta free. Hard to complain. I do wonder, however, how hardcore Bayonetta fans took this news. Is this a dealbreaker? Is it enough to warrant worry over the sequel? Are fans just grateful to have a second game in the series?

Assassinated

Assassinated said:

Why Daisy? I think Crystal from Star Fox Adventures would be a much better choice, with that staff. Or maybe a Kid Icarus outfit, ironic as it might be, fighting angels. Or maybe a Kirby outfit. Not just a functionally identical Peach recolor.

CharleSketch

CharleSketch said:

It's nice to have yet another wardrobe change for Bayonetta, even if it's (fittingly) a palette swap of Peach's dress. There are other, better characters that could've had their outfits featured, thou.

It'll always be a mystery to me why so many care so much for a character with literally zero personality. Granted, I'd like to see her featured in a proper game and see if Nintendo does anything to differentiate her from Peach. But since her first appearance, Daisy's only character trait is being the other "normal" girl character in Mario sport, party and kart games. And even that spot's almost usurped by Rosalina, who actually has a developed personality...

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

This isn't exactly what I had in mind, though I will say that it looks much more fitting than the Peach one. She should summon Tatanga limbs, rather than Bowser, though I suppose even fans of Super Mario Land would be like, "Whose limbs are those?"

@Nathan Oh, boo.

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

Ok well this is a nice addition though i wonder if there are any more surprises in store for us before the release date?

Shambo

Shambo said:

@jd45 I'd like two of those sandwiches please.
@ThreadShadow Didn't know that was the idea behind her design, but what I did know was that she's not 'realistically proportioned' :p Her legs are indeed incredibly long (all the way to the floor), and she can walk on walls, so it does make perfect sense. Thanks, it's a nice thing to know! (Still need to go though the art book I got a few months back)

Mega719

Mega719 said:

Oh wow I heard people asking for this but I didn't think it would happen. But why did they pick Daisy? They already have a Peach costume, should have chose Krystal or Palutena

LUIGITORNADO

LUIGITORNADO said:

I think it's funny that people are complaining that the costumes look out of place. Not for nothing, but the original alt costumes looked out of place as well.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

@ThreadShadow

Interesting. My theory was that it evoked the proportions used by El Greco (The Greek), a 16th century Spanish-greek painter. Since he painted religious themes, I thought this was a match for Bayonetta's theme, with all the angels on display in the game.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

Lol HOW are you gonna say Hyrule Warriors wasn't that fun because you "just press the same buttons over and over again" but then Bayonetta 2, another hack and slash game, is "perfect"? Sounds more like the overprotective Zelda fan is still pissy that his coveted franchise has a spin-off in a different genre.
Tired of people whining about that.
All Warriors games have multiple combos with different button combinations and specials, and the levels are a mixture of strategy and combat. Pump up the difficulty if you feel it's too easy.

vamkar

vamkar said:

I do not understand the Daisy hate. I want her to become a more fleshed-out character. She's interesting and her world, Sarasaland hasn't been revisited in a long time. I sincerely hope for the day that Daisy can finally be part of a main series Mario (or Luigi) game again.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Kind of odd that they choose 3 awesome costumes and then make Daisy a copy-pasta Peach costume with a palette swap. I guess it's just a visual change for those who don't like pink or somethin'. Still awesome though!

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

Since Daisy's the best--she says so every time she wins a race--it only makes sense that Bayonetta would dress like her to show that she, too, is the best.

World

World said:

@Zach

In the midst of old quotes and perverts who remind me I'm not welcome to the games party (at least when Team Ninja's hosting), comes the lone voice of reason.

GAME-ONETTA & WATCH

Dinjoralo

Dinjoralo said:

@DiscoGentleman ...Because two games sharing the same genre doesn't mean they play exactly the same? I've played enough of Bayonetta and Dynasty Warriors 8 to know that Bayo is a lot less mindless.

IceClimbers

IceClimbers said:

@Mega719 Palutena. Now that's an ironically good choice given how Palutena is the Goddess of Light and Bayonetta is a witch who summons demons.

@jd45 Good thing the costumes are completely optional.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@vamkar I'd love to see a Daisy spin-off game, in Sarasaland, featuring her as the main character and typical main characters (Mario, Luigi, Peach, Bowser) as supporting characters or NPCs. It could give Nintendo a good opportunity to make a different genre game, or something odd.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

I think it's the best looking costume revealed yet. Awesome!

@Nathan You miss spelled beautiful.

@ThreadShadow Where did you read that? I've never heard that. Every interview I read with Kamiya talking about the design says she was designed to be sexy and basically his dream girl, lol.

Kroisos

Kroisos said:

@DiscoGentleman I would love Super Princess Daisy, but I don't think it will ever happen. Daisy is my favorite character in the Mushroom Kingdom, but since Nintendo creates gameplay first and then fits characters to it (see Mario Kart, Kirby's Epic Yarn, and Splatoon), they won't create a Daisy game just to give her one. I don't get why so many people hate her, but she is under-developed, so I'd like to see Nintendo correct that. I'd start with having Luigi rescue her instead of Mario in Luigi's Mansion 3, only with the twist that after Luigi beats King Boo we find out that Daisy had escaped on her own and was waiting impatiently for him to show up.

SockoMario

SockoMario said:

Daisy is the most annoying character in the Mario universe. I have NO idea why she even has fans.

noctowl

noctowl said:

@Melkac like devil may cry? Or the reboot? God of war games? Bayo? Ninja gaiden?
Good games, but button mashing.

I played them all, so don't pretend it's not.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@Melkac You don't press the same button over & over in Warriors games. The more recent entries have long lists of combos for every character, and each combo has a different effect on an enemy. So, if you're facing a boss character, who's particularly squirrely, you might do a combo that dazes him/her momentarily, then a combo that launches him/her in the air, then an air combo or special move.
I'm sure Hyrule Warriors is gonna have similar combos and other things that are not typical of a Warriors game- my judgment based on gameplay vids.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@Dinjoralo My comment was unnecessarily snarky. I must've woken up on the wrong side of bed at that AM.

I just mean to make the point that if dumb Zelda fanboys/girls clutching the series to their close-minded hearts could take off their rose-colored glasses for a minute and look at the game objectively, then they might enjoy it more. Rather than: "LINK? ACTION GAME? NOT MADE BY NINTENDO? What is this button mashing crap?"
You know that is an opinion that is happening for that reason.

allav866

allav866 said:

All these Nintendo-themed costumes... How about a Bayonetta 2 costume? You know, one that gives you the new look in the older game?

ThreadShadow

ThreadShadow said:

@sinalefa I wouldn't exclude that as another source of inspiration for the design.

@Retro_on_theGo I'll see if I can dig up the story. If it was in a magazine I doubt I'll ever find it, though. I believe it was an interview with the actual concept artist not Kamiya himself.

Pod

Pod said:

Aside from the costumes, the Wii U version does also feature the touch control mode.

R-L-A-George

R-L-A-George said:

They could've actually did peach and daisy's racing suits. It would have looked more natural.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Lol, why not! I wonder though: Can you use the costumes only while playing Bayonetta 1?