Video: Join Us For A Relaxing Weekend Drive Around Mario Kart 8's Vintage Circuits

Posted by Damien McFerran

A blast from the past

In keeping with previous entries in the series, Mario Kart 8 resurrects popular tracks from past games. These are far from being lazy upgrades, though — many have been retooled to take advantage of the game's anti-gravity focus, and all of them naturally benefit from a luscious HD lick of paint.

In the video below, intrepid Nintendo Life editor Thomas "Speed Demon" Whitehead dons his rather fetching racing leathers to show off five classic circuits:

• Mario Circuit (GBA)
  • Wario Stadium (DS)
  • Royal Raceway (N64)
  • Grumble Volcano (Wii)
  • Rainbow Road (N64)

Are you pumped for Mario Kart 8? Share your deepest desires by posting a comment below.

Crimson_Ridley

Crimson_Ridley said:

I really want to watch these videos, but I want as many tracks as possible to be a surprise, so I'm avoiding watching anything MK8 related.

Ootfan98

Ootfan98 said:

I hope in future, Ninty do more retro tracks as Downloadable content. I want an update Wario Stadium and Bowsers Castle from N64

LastLife

LastLife said:

Is it just me or is falling off the track much more merciful this time around? There seems to be very little downtime after falling off course. Maybe it's a situational thing.

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

Thomas, you truly were a speed demon in many of these clips. In terms of the game, I've been trying to avoid MK8 videos as much as possible, but these are impossible to resist. The disappointing new Battle Mode and somewhat limited roster aside, this looks to be the best Mario Kart yet

AyeHaley

AyeHaley said:

@Ootfan98 no DLC for this game is a missed opportunity. I really hope they'll add new courses and characters down the line. I don't mind paying for it.

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Hey, that's not fair, you're getting a huge amount of practice before everybody else even gets the game! :'(

aronatvw

aronatvw said:

@LastLife yes I did notice that, after thinking about it, maybe they're trying to balanced the game to be more race oriented. The only reason I thought this was the reason they added the new item that can block the blue shell, maybe less downtime when fallen is geared towards the same idea. Just a thought.

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

Double Dash has always been my fave MK. Hope there's a handful of them tracks in MK8 with the HD touch up.

KevTastic84

KevTastic84 said:

Just done a bit of research. Dry Dry Desert and Sherbert Land return from the GCN. Not two of the greatest, but decent. I long for my MK track ever. Gamecube's Bowser's Castle to be re-imagined.

Prime

Prime said:

One thing I always wanted to know...HOW THE HELL DO YOU PLAY THESE THINGS WHEN THEY'RE NOT RELEASED YET?!?!

Blue-Thunder

Blue-Thunder said:

That looks really good. I always seem to like the retro courses more then the new ones. Rainbow road should suit the hover mode since it originally was designed for F Zero X.

I'm back looking forward to it now.

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

@Nintendolphin you do realise that games reviewers get review copies before the official release date. How you do you think some games get reviewd so quickly around release days?

Cinaclov

Cinaclov said:

Some of those tracks were barely recognisable; Wario Stadium in particular was one I didn't see the resemblance to until right at the end. Which is really good actually, I'd rather have newer feeling tracks than converted copies of stuff I already have on other games.

Action51

Action51 said:

So awesome! So hyped!....but one complaint:

Holy crud that Mii voice is annoying! I wanted to put some tape over it's mouth if I had to hear him say "yay!" or "go!" one more time.

Klunk23

Klunk23 said:

Cool, really loved Wario stadium on DS. But Grumble Volcano was my least favorite and worst course.

Jetson

Jetson said:

@Chubblings Correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't MK8 have the largest roster yet with 30 confirmed playable characters, not something I would call a "somewhat limited roster"

dok5555555

dok5555555 said:

I guess the penalty for falling off the course is a lot less severe. Didn't seem long at all for the guy to put him back on track.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I'm getting pumped just waiting for Mario Kart 8 to hit street release date here where I'm at in the US on 5/30/2014. I will give credit to Thomas for being a great driver in this game early on. But imo, I'm sure I can take him if we ever meet up in a race in a community. All in all, I really enjoyed 3 tracks he played: GBA Mario Circuit , N64 Royal Raceway & N64 Rainbow Road. Nice skillz pal! ;)

Iggly

Iggly said:

The game looks amazing so far, this is definitely on my priority list for the Wii U if you exclude SSB4.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Likatu is too merciful in this game. Flat retro courses aren't completely flat. Awesome! ;) Cool that we still get Peach's Castle in the N64 Peach course, but it appears the gate is locked and you can't detour onto Peach's lawn like in the 64 version. :p

Also, is it still possible to drag a banana or shell behind you, or did they remove that mechanic? If so, it leaves a racers completely unprotected, just like in Double Dash.

Iggly

Iggly said:

@StarDust4Ever By the looks of other gameplay videos, you should be able to drag shells and bananas behind you. Although it won't let you get another item until the item is hit/used.

Emaan

Emaan said:

They seem to have made it less of a big deal if you fall off a course, not sure how I feel about that. Rainbow Road is supposed to end friendships not make them :*

Gma-X

Gma-X said:

I like the idea of speeding up the downtime when you fall, but this is just a little too fast I think. In MK Wii one mistake in first place would land you atleast 4 or 5 places behind, which is a hard punishment when you're hit with a blue shell while jumping over a hole. On the other hand, when you make a stupid mistake you shouldn't be let off so easily. I mean, I want winners to be determined by pure skill.

The retro tracks look great though, had a nostalgia attack when seeing Royal Raceway and N64 Rainbow Road. Although I've seen every MK8 video, I'm still left amazed by the graphics after every one of them. Clearing all the cups on all the CC's will be extremely pleasant! Also can't wait to play this online with some friends and some headphones hahaha.

Gma-X

Gma-X said:

@Jetson True, 30 is indeed the highest number of characters ever to be seen in a Mario Kart game. However, 20% of them are part of the koopa family. As much as I welcome them, it takes away the diversity of choice. In MK Wii you had Funky, King Boo, Diddy, Dry Bowser and Dry Bones, all of which are diverse characters.

I would much rather have only 2 extra Koopas and 5 or 6 other characters. I mean, Pink Gold Peach, lovely and I like it, but why does it have to be a replacement instead of an addition?

I know hidden characters is something in MK, but following the information, I gather these are all of the characters, which you will unlock as you progress. Ever seen a MK with so many characters BEFORE the hidden characters were unlocked?

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

I always used to love leaving banana peels on the edges of dash ramps. Anyone who slips on it will fall into the abyss, LOL! :D

Likatu is way too fast now. It's barely as much slowdown as hitting a shell or spinning out after hitting a banana peel. Great way to reward sloppy play, Nintendo... :p