Mario Kart 8 Smart Device Website or App on the Way

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

To provide services such as ranking checks

Mario Kart 8 is already forging new ground on the Wii U, with Nintendo having confirmed not only the Mario Kart TV feature, but the ability to upload those highlights reels directly to YouTube from within the game. It also seems set to represent Nintendo's first move into producing an accompanying smart device website or app, according to a report in Nikkei.

At a press conference following today's financial year report, Satoru Iwata reportedly stated that a web-based service is on the way that will allow users to track data such as rankings in Mario Kart 8. It's unclear, until full translations or Satoru Iwata's financial briefing is published by Nintendo, whether this will be a dedicated app for iOS and Android or, like the Miiverse equivalent, a browser-based service that will work on multiple devices.

We'll see soon, but there are interesting possibilities for checking rankings and, we'd hope, viewing clips from Mario Kart TV. Let us know your thoughts and what you'd like to see in the comments below.

[via nikkei.com, nintendoeverything.com]

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

This is the kind of phone apps I would like to see from Nintendo. Not games but something that connects to games. Also good advertising.

Aran

Aran said:

That sound great! Nintendo is trying new grounds and I really love that. It was astounding when I knew You could upload videos directly from the Game to YouTube. This sounds really interesting, great ideas. Let's see what they will do with their next games.

Corleonis88

Corleonis88 said:

I hope that the app is beautiful and atractive even for those wihout the game, making them want it

Meteora

Meteora said:

Am I the only one who finds Yoshi checking out Rosalina in the screenshot funny?

Rafie

Rafie said:

I will take full advantage of this app. I'm going to be a contender here for this game.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

I think it'll be a Web browser based program like Miiverse if the iOS and Android stores charge fees. Nintendo tries to avoid paying brand fees whenever possible.

Agent721

Agent721 said:

That's great! The Battlefield 4 app by EA is great, so if they can do something similar, that would be a nice thing to add to the game.

Goginho

Goginho said:

I see Rosalina and Waluigi as that perfect odd couple :D
Mario and Lu got girls. Wario and Walu are the only ones left :P

Hy8ogen

Hy8ogen said:

OMG, day 1 download. Now if Ninty make an APP for smash and pokemon, I will swore loyalty to thee.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Good job Nintendo. Now let's take a bigger step and bring out account systems, okay?

ledreppe

ledreppe said:

Nintendo were supposed to have an app in development that would allow pre-ordering of digital games, like the Playstation app that already exists. While I'm all for a Mario Kart app, I'd hope it wasn't the only app they are producing as I quite like using the PlayStation style one.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@AVahne Actually with the help of US customer service, you can now (apparently) transfer everything from one Wii U to another. The customer service is just an added step though

OmegaStar

OmegaStar said:

Hopefully this'll save the mobile gaming-only kids from a poor idea of what good video games are before it's too late and games in the future will all be free-to-play infinite high score beating cash cows.

Ttimer

Ttimer said:

That would be AWESOME, if they do this same thing for Super Smash Bros 4!

HopeNForever

HopeNForever said:

This piece of news should not come as surprising, considering Nintendo have been for the past year reassuringly mentioning to release mobile device apps to compliment their game products. They have to begin somewhere of course, and Mario Kart 8 is a great place to begin with... I only question why it took them this long though.

Dauntless

Dauntless said:

If only Nintendo had put this much effort into things when the Wii U was launched the public perception would have been very different.

AVahne

AVahne said:

@Unca_Lz
So that can be done WITHOUT sending in the consoles and/or without having the the serial number of both consoles?
If not, then Nintendo hasn't progressed at all.

PKpunky

PKpunky said:

So, a system transfer from Wii U to Wii U is possible now? Maybe I'll be picking up another console... but I gotta look more into that.

Anyway, it would be nice to have an app for online games. Not just MK8. And you can choose which games you have, see your ranking, stats etc.

Action51

Action51 said:

Wow, this is a good step for Nintendo. Sure it's not everything everyone ever asked for all at once served on a golden platter, but it's another step in the right direction.

Will I be buying Mario Kart 8? - yes!
Will I ever use some stupid smart phone app related to it? - no

I really could care less about this thing, but it seems to be what people want so...cool, enjoy.

This is one of the articles that only attracts people who are here for actual news and discussion. Hard to really spin this negative.

SphericalCrusher

SphericalCrusher said:

That is awesome! Personally, I am a huge fan of the game tie-in apps on mobile devices. Halo, Assassin's Creed, Battlefield, Call of Duty etc are all sweet. When I'm at work, doing IT work orders, I can always open it up while waiting on installs to do things, etc. It works out great.