Here's a Video of The Temple of Time Made With Unreal Engine 4

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Timeless

There's plenty of speculation, reasonably so in light of time that's passed and the fact it's needed for the system, that we may see the first footage of the new The Legend of Zelda Wii U title at E3. That's not confirmed, of course, but since the Zelda-themed demonstration video that did the rounds during the Wii U's big reveal at E3 2011, some may have thought of little else since.

While we wait to see what Nintendo produces, we always have the efforts of dedicated fans. Michael Eurek falls into that category, as he's recreated The Temple of Time, best known for its iconic appearance and role in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time. Using tools such as Maya, Z-brush and Photoshop over a number of months, the video is produced using Unreal Engine 4, all with the goal of recreating the classic scene with modern technology.

You can see it below. While a nice rendering of a well-known location, is this the kind of look you'd like in a new HD Zelda?

[via eurogamer.net, kotaku.com]

Related Games

S-Miyahon

S-Miyahon said:

I don't know... It seems too... Realistic? Can't think of a word for this. It just seems that Zelda shouldn't have this type of art style

Blast

Blast said:

Whoa. Aonuma should hired this guy and put him on the Zelda team. That looks nice. A bit weird at times but still.... NICE.

Evenmoresteven

Evenmoresteven said:

I think the last thing I want to see is a realistic Zelda. I live in the real the world, I want to see a world that surpasses my imagination. This looks great, but it also looks like something in Elder Scrolls and Dark Souls. Zelda should be a fantasy world in every sense. Show me something that blows my mind.

Purple

Purple said:

Okay now if this ends up looking better than the actual Zelda U trailer than Nintendo should be worried.

I think it looks beautiful. Its fun to see peoples different interpretations of their fav games. Id love Nintendo to make a more realistic Super Mario just because I'd think itd be interesting. I mean they did the complete opposite with LOZ in Windwaker. Maing it more animated. So why not make animated Mario more realistic?

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Purple it could end up looking better than zelda U because the advantage here(I'm assuming it's still rendered in real time) is it's a very small space. It's also not rendered with any physics, ai, collision detection, or anything else. That gives an advantage in both power and money.

I'd love to see the new zelda looking like this though, and the wiiU is certainly capable of it, it's running all the modern shaders. This is pretty much the next step up in the style of oot and twilight princess.

User1988

User1988 said:

A little too realistic for me, but awesome nonetheless! I guess I'm just one of those people who prefer Zelda in more of an animated style.

Purple

Purple said:

Yes! I agree, I know the Wii U is capable of making an amazing Zelda for Wii U. The amount lf beautiful stunningness (coined) coming from Mario Kart 8 has proved that to me. Granted that game isnt as wide open or on a scale of The Legend of Zelda. But it doesnt matter. I just know itll look beautiful.

jariw

jariw said:

I hope Zelda U goes for a much more artistic approach than this.

kensredemption

kensredemption said:

Whether or not Nintendo decides to make the next Legend of Zelda look realistic using Unreal 4, I doubt they would ever compromise the feel of each game to match its tone. I mean, Twilight Princess is notorious for being dark and "realistic", but still managed to flaunt its traditional Zelda art style when it comes to the characters and enemies. With the Unreal 4 engine, if the Wii U can utilize it the same way Mr. Eurek did, I'm pretty sure the next Zelda will LOOK realistic, but most definitely won't FEEL realistic. Graphics are a secondary concern for me. Just give me an adventure I'll remember forever and I'll be happy.

BigH88

BigH88 said:

I might be in the minority but I don't understand why people wanna play games that look so real. Especially Zelda. All I hear is "Zelda needs to be Dark Souls" No, Zelda needs to be Zelda.

BieberBlows

BieberBlows said:

This is a little too realistic for my taste. I hope Zelda U is more stylized while still being semi-realistic like a cross between TP and SS or WW.

Squid

Squid said:

This video looks beautiful, and all I want from Zelda U is just for it to stand out from the other Zelda titles. One thing I love about Zelda is how a lot of the titles over the years look aesthetically different. Even if that means it looks more realistic, but apparently here something can't be artistic if it's realistic.

Klinny

Klinny said:

I think it's really gorgeous! I think it would be kind of cool to do a 'realistic" Zelda, but I'm also happy with a more traditional approach. My favorite art style for Zelda is the "semi-realistic" type, (Ocarina, Twilight Princess) but I have been surprised before, (Wind Waker) so I am willing to give anything a chance :)

PrincessEevee9

PrincessEevee9 said:

@Purple This is awful. I do not want a realistic looking Zelda. Twilight Princess took awhile getting used to just because it was a departure from the usually bright and colorful Zelda scene. This... This is downright torture and to try hard.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@PrincessEevee9 oh come on I'm the biggest anti-graphics person on this site and even I can appreciate the beauty of scene and great effort that went into it.

marko

marko said:

I just want a Zelda game just like the e3 trailer last year that was awesome
GIVE ME THAT NINTENDO

Ricube

Ricube said:

I also think this may be too realistic for a Zelda game. Still, i love it! I for myself like the darker look of TP much better and I think that game has an amazing art style and beautiful graphics (just look at the interior of Hyrule Castle). My question: is the WiiU capable of graphics like these? Probably Nintendo has made a graphic engine just for the new zelda on WiiU and I'm sure that game is going to show the real power of the WiiU! Just hope it's on par with this, anyway better than the graphics demo of e3 2013

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

As long as it's not Toon Link style characters (all of them, not just Link), and the bosses don't look like straight out of Sesame Street (I'm looking at you Scaldera, Tentalus, and Imprisoned), I'll be happy with almost whatever art style Aonuma chooses.

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@FalconPunch everyone is free to quote anything I say. I've always been able to appreciate good graphics and can spot when advanced techniques where used, I'm just oppose the advance of graphical power because it almost always comes at the expense of gameplay.

@Ricube the answer is maybe but there's not enough info to know for sure. The wiiU's graphics core has all the technology used in this the question is how much processing power would it need in a real environment. This demo doesn't have physics, collisions, ai, or simulations(cloth, hair, water etc). The total draw distance is also unknown since it's an interior scene. When you start throwing all that in it starts consuming more and more power so at this level of detail it may end up being too much, or it may be just fine.

All in all it's not terribly far off from the demo they showed as part of the wiiU reveal at e3 so the system is capable of something similar for sure.

jakysnakydx

jakysnakydx said:

i ACTUALLY really liked the preview back in 2011. That is what I think befits Zelda best. Pastel is Mario, Cartoon is everything else (Sonic) hyper real is Elder Scrolls... that fine middle line is Zelda.

TWK

TWK said:

Boring colours and textures makes it seem lifeless. Don't like it.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

Eh... I was a bit underwhelmed by this, too. It's too...generic.

This is the kind of art direction I would like in my HD Zelda. Stylized, the heart of the original, and interesting to look at.

Personally, the art style of Twilight Princess with the polish Skyward Sword had would be perfect in my book.

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I really think that the original E3 demo FAR surpasses this, I would be in heaven if Nintendo simply made that demo a game. Done

dabaumer

dabaumer said:

Let me start by saying this... This is my first comment, but I have followed this site a while. I really enjoy how you guys typically have different opinions without always flaming each other...like other sites. That said, I think they could do an outstanding realistic looking Zelda like this, but only once, or only once every three or four games. I really like how each Zelda has it's own style, realistic, cartoony, or like characters in a painting. To me it always feels like I am in hyrule no matter the look.

originaljohn

originaljohn said:

I'm with PvtOttobot on this. The E3 Demo is much better than this. I'm not a fan of the Unreal engine either for that matter. Nintendo make much better looking games, which run at a much more solid frame rate.

AVahne

AVahne said:

Pretty impressive, considering he did it within a few months. I highly doubt the Wii U would be able to render this type of scene with this level of detail, especially with more activity taking place.
But of course, it wouldn't need to. Recent Zelda games can get very stylized graphics, and make up for their host systems' lack of power. A Zelda game with graphics similar to the E3 2011 demo would still look absolutely fantastic....as long as they improve their models.

GamecubeComplex

GamecubeComplex said:

@BieberBlows
No, I do. For starters, being a Christian, I don't like all the religious undertones that they throw in there because they can. Also, of the couple that I played, I didn't enjoy the games (Ocarina of Time and Twilight Princess) because they weren't the style of games that I like to play.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

This video looks good in patches and then looks like someone running a few mods on the N64 version in other places.

I really want the 2011 tech demo to be realised into a full game. I would happily settle for an Ocarina or LttP remake in this style to tide me over for a year before they finished the real Zelda U

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

@Yorumi I don't consider any of the other versions to be remakes. To me, they're ports unless they have a whole new graphics engine, art style and different puzzles

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@Yorumi The original, the GameCube collection, the 3DS remake, and the VC release.

I don't think that's quite enough to sink a ship...

Varoennauraa

Varoennauraa said:

I wouldn't vomit on that either, but I prefer the E3 demo and MM mockup a lot more.

But a more refined Skyward Sword look would be my number one choice.

erv

erv said:

A perfect example of how artistic direction is more important than technical mastery, from design to execution and beyond.

Williaint

Williaint said:

I thought it looked too 'plastic'. I'm not sure how to describe it any better. The music wasn't too bad...
It seems about the same quality of "Hyrule Warriors".

ICHIkatakuri

ICHIkatakuri said:

Not so keen on certain design choices around the structure of the building but otherwise it looks well done. If we don't see zelda at e3 anouma has stated he will be talking about it at least hasn't he?

Yorumi

Yorumi said:

@Williaint his spec maps are set to a more polished look. It's a lot of polished marble and general polished stone so there's a lot more shine on it. I take it as he's going to a completely non-weathered look, basically how the temple would look the day it's created(or assuming it's magical and doesn't decay at all).

KingofSaiyans

KingofSaiyans said:

I think the art style from E3's tech demo was just fine...but I know that art style won't be used.

DiscoGentleman

DiscoGentleman said:

@kyuubikid213 yupyupyup

Glad to see a lot of people here share my opinion: it was too generic/bland/etc. Just because it was realistic and pretty, doesn't make it interesting.

Right now, every big game is begging to be described as cinematic or realistic. I like how the Zelda Wii U tech demo looked in that it was polished, improved, and most importantly: FANTASTICAL. Keep the fantasy in this series. I don't want to see it trying to copy other games like Elder Scrolls in realism.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

Looks pretty awful considering what he was going for.

It looks more like an Egyptian themed temple rather than something medieval.

UltraLaserTen

UltraLaserTen said:

Earlier today, I had thought about how I felt those who thought graphics (I perfer to call them visuals) didn't matter in a video game were a bit delusional. This footage shows how great and immersive a location or place can be if the content creator put attention to detail, whether in a stylized manner or made to be filled with a highly detailed or a lifelike environment.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

Would like to see the next Zelda be Twilight Princess style, especially if its on the Wii U. But at the same time I think Skyward Sword's style fits the series best.

SahashraLA

SahashraLA said:

It's funny how the creator simply did an HD upmake of the Temple of Time, without characters and 'fire effects' that are really just illuminated light posts. It's a project. It's textures and light manipulation. I think it looks great, but Zelda's magic isn't contained in any single second of this video.
Also, Steven, that Space World middle finger turned into Twilight Princess (a game many fans state is their least favorite Zelda) and the Zelda they actually gave us is hailed by many a pundit as the best in the series.
It's easy to tell which gamers value visuals over gameplay. You just painted yourself as one of those people.

MrWu

MrWu said:

Keeping in mind 1 person made it, it doesn't look great.

Low poly models, not even great looking desgins by non-Zelda standards. Seems like the assets were for Wii level platform with a sheen of UE4 shaders.

The zoom into the inner sanctum with the Master Sword is awkward and ugly and the lighting in there, including the shape of the light falling on the sword looks all wrong.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I thought it looked quite good (Much better than I expected - I normally don't like watching this sort of thing). Made me think about the Timeline where Ocarina of Time ends in failure.

I think they should look back to Oracle of Ages and Oracle of Seasons. (Or even Zelda 2).

A Link Between Worlds was spoilt for me by how simplistic all the puzzles were and how easy such as the bosses were (I missed all the armour upgrades until I was almost right at the end as well). Maybe the Hero quest is better but I know the story now so it is spoilt.

They need to really raise the bar for me to be interested. But good combat is essential as is some worthwhile difficulty.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Loads of people on here need to appreciate that this is something one artist did to demonstrate his abilities at creating realistic lighting. It is a phenomenal effort. The actual Zelda game is not going to look anything like this.

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

@AJWolfTill And we understand this. However, his realistic lighting and decision to "HD-ify" any kind of Zelda scenery also carries the weight of having to embody that Zelda charm and grace.

Dezsi

Dezsi said:

This looks real. I can't imagine a Link and Hylians in this environment and setting that are not overly realistic. But does anyone really want to see Link's facial hair and whatnot? On the other hand, if everything was this realistic, but the characters would have a different art style to them, they would be way out of place.

So as much as this is a jaw-dropping demo for some, I don't think it suits the Zelda games' overall artistic style.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Impressive achievement: Yes
Suitable for new Zelda: No!

It just doesn't feel right! Maybe because it was made with a engine not made for Zelda, or that you can see that the video wasn't made by Nintendo. It's like with most level-editors: The results almost never look as good as the levels made by the professional game-designers. There's always something off!

Sir_Deadly

Sir_Deadly said:

Its looks ok, probably would look much better with a different art style or a different engine. I personally thought the Zelda HD demo looked alot better.