Check Out This Incredible Valve / Super Smash Bros. Melee Mash-Up

Posted by Martin Watts

The right game in the wrong place can make all the difference in the world

Although Nintendo and Valve have never worked together, the two companies actually share quite a lot in common. For starters, they've both produced some of the most critically acclaimed and best loved video game franchises in history. While a joint collaboration between the two is unlikely to happen any time soon, it is nevertheless fun to sometimes imagine the potential crossovers and gameplay ideas that could occur as a result.

One idea, as portrayed in a recent fan-made video, shows not only that Valve already has a surprisingly wide cast of characters to call its own, but that this ensemble cast would also be well-suited to its own Super Smash Bros. style game.

Called Super Smash Bros. Source, this is a glorious recreation of the Super Smash Bros. Melee CGI game intro, albeit with Valve characters and settings in place of Nintendo's classic line-up. You can check it out below:

Would you like to see a Nintendo-Valve team-up at some point in the near future?

faint

faint said:

maybe not this game but if valve teamed up with ninty for an exclusive i would cry tears of joy while the internets had a full scale meltdown. :)

GloverMist

GloverMist said:

That, to me, is true beauty! Seriously, if a Valve all-stars fighting game was made, I'd buy it!

Mega719

Mega719 said:

If they were going to include the logo for the new game they should have recreated that. Wish people would stop thinking Portal can fit in a fighting game you can't put portals in the air

TurretGunZ

TurretGunZ said:

WOW people this is just a fun fanmade video stop loving ripping into it like its meant to be perfect. I would love something like this like at the very least a Multiplayer FPS With all main Valve characters.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

That was a sick production/recreation... The dedication and talent of fans never ceases to amaze me! Not even considering SSB, a Nintendo/Valve team-up for a new platform would be a unbeatable combo IMO.

Captain_Toad

Captain_Toad said:

Interesting that this video is posted in the Pic of the day that has steam too..... Well played, video person. Well played.

Jeremyx7

Jeremyx7 said:

Hahahaha, this is awesome, and actually would be amazing if there was a smash brothers at some point in time that had a few of Valve's characters in it! Half Life 1 & 2 are some of my favorite video games of all time. Also, I love the tag line.

VIIIAxel

VIIIAxel said:

Would buy 5 copies for myself, 10 for friends. Why so many? Well, Steam sales would likely be involved...

PvtOttobot

PvtOttobot said:

I seriously couldn't care less about a Valve/Ninty Smash team up, but that video was ASTOUNDING! A true quality piece.

KodyDawg

KodyDawg said:

Wow, talk about amazing! After nearly breaking my GamePad over the final level (Champion's Road) of SM3DW and almost crying because of MK8's broken street dates, this sure cheered me up!

Obito_Tennyson

Obito_Tennyson said:

I don't even recognize any of those characters except for the ones from Team Fortress 2, Half Life 2, Portal 2, and anything else that has a sequel...

MasterGraveheart

MasterGraveheart said:

The Heavy in Smash Bros.? "I LIIIIIIIIIVE!"

...Also, Sandviches.

...Also, also, I want that Heavy figure. That thing looks awesome.

Ricube

Ricube said:

Well... didn't Nintendo registered a trademark for a game called "code name S.T.E.A.M. some time ago? ................. I don't think it has something to do with Valve, but it was the first thing i thought about. ;-)

Psyclone

Psyclone said:

Two of my favorite companys coming together? f*** yes!!!!!! it would be perfect and a dream come true.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

It would never happen, Valve would keep delaying it, and release another L4D game. They should totally get DOG into the new Smash game though. xD

Bizzyb

Bizzyb said:

Whoever created that has unbelievable skills. If they aren't already making money from this talent they NEED to be. Amazing

Gamecubii-64DD

Gamecubii-64DD said:

@allav866 People like you that always crush wonder, STINK. You know that? A LOT of people would kill for this, maybe not on Nintendo Life but on the internet too. Don't be a wet blanket.

skjia

skjia said:

I could see Gordon Freeman replace Snake in the new Smash Bros. I mean I couldn't see it actually happening but I could see it being cool. lol.

Williaint

Williaint said:

Valve would be a good partner for Nintendo. The Half Life Engine is great, and I'd love to see an outsourced Nintendo IP by Valve. If LoZ ever winds up being a first person adventure, Valve would be my preferred team to make that game...
Yes, the companies are similar in that they have their sort of "own little worlds", but I'm not looking forward to a mash up of them.

Sensei_Sendai

Sensei_Sendai said:

Nintendo trademarked S.T.E.A.M., Valve owns Steam. Super Mario Galaxy 3 confirmed. (Cause Half Life is overrated :P)

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Well-made, I gotta admit that. Good animations (mostly), well-transferred choreography, and some really funny details! I wouldn't vote for that becoming a real game (too many gunners), but I was entertained!

@Ricube Hm, the only thing I remember is Project H.A.M.M.E.R., but I don't think you mean that one, right?

dkxcalibur

dkxcalibur said:

I owned the Orange Box and both Left 4 Dead games on the 360. All 3 were awesome games. I would buy a Valve game for the Wii U for sure, although it's highly unlikely to ever happen because Valve is releasing their own system.

allav866

allav866 said:

@NintendoDolphin You misunderstand; I cringed at the thought of a Smash Bros. game with Valve characters, but I'm sure a crossover game of some sort (likely FPS) would be a hit. Imagine all characters using different weapons from different games, including the Portal gun and Moltovs. I'm not an FPS fan, but that does sound fun.

lippe_flamarion

lippe_flamarion said:

I had no idea who most (all) of the characters were, but this certainly made me want to know them all! So many games I want to play now, having a life is really dragging me down

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Couldn't shake how poorly matched the music was with what I was watching. The original had such a friendly, adventurous beat-each-other-to-a-pulp vibe going and most of these characters just don't have much friendly to them. Too grim looking.

Nice effort though, and I'm sure the big Valve fans love it. :D

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hey, that's Walter White! From Breaking Boxes (he has a crowbar, right?)!

Cool video by the way!