Year of Luigi Gets Official Send-Off from Shigeru Miyamoto

Posted by Jowi Meli

Hopes we "continue to cheer on" Mario's little bro

Spring may be officially in the air today, but with it comes a bittersweet farewell. Following his announcement on 18th February that both the community and the company’s special activities would be ending, Shigeru Miyamoto brought Nintendo's Year of Luigi to an official close today through a post on Miiverse.

Thanking everyone for their support of Mario’s oft-overshadowed little brother, Miyamoto-san revealed a special page on Nintendo’s official website quilting together all the best bits of Luigi-centric love left on Miiverse. He also chose to end on an optimistic note, reminding fans to consistently “cheer on Luigi” despite the ending of his official year.

Hi everyone, thanks so much for your warm comments for Luigi!

We selected a few of the comments and placed them on our website. Just select the internet browser icon or the link at the end of this post to go to the page and have a look!

Well, ahem...now, without further ado...

I hereby declare the Year of Luigi closed!

Thank you all so very much for your kind support over the course of the year!

Even though the Year of Luigi has come to a close, I hope you will continue to cheer on Luigi. Thank you!

It’s been a banner year for the green brother, with Luigi starring in multiple first-party heavy hitters as well as a smattering of others in his usual sidekick role. Luigi’s Mansion: Dark Moon, New Super Luigi U, and Mario & Luigi: Dream Team all put Luigi at the forefront of Nintendo’s gaming lineup through 2013. There were also surprises, like the eShop-exclusive Dr. Luigi and special Year of Luigi Club Nintendo rewards. Any way you slice it, Luigi’s been making huge waves in video game news over the last year.

What are your feelings on the Year of Luigi’s official closure? Will you remain steadfast in your celebration of the little bro, or are you eagerly anticipating Nintendo’s next big celebration?

[via miiverse.nintendo.net]

Related Games

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Bah, I'll keep celebrating it. Afterall, I haven't even quite finished Dream Team, and I still have a lot of Super Luigi U left to go.

enderboy221

enderboy221 said:

It was an amazing year to me, especially since they FINALLY made a sequel to my favorite Gamecube game Luigi's Mansion.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

The Year of Luigi was great but all good (or in this case, awesome!) things must come to an end. Luigi deserved it, so I personally hope no-one else gets the 'year' treatment, as selfish as that sounds. I'll always be on the side of the Green 'Stache.

SanderEvers

SanderEvers said:

Well, Luigi, Nintendo, I had a great year.

Thank you.

(And thank you as well, Nintendolife, for reporting)

Chubblings

Chubblings said:

I think it would be great if they continued things like this for more under appreciated/underutilized characters.

YoshiTails

YoshiTails said:

Is it just me or is there a bittersweet irony in the fact that the year of Luigi has coincided with one of Nintendo's worst financial years?

Yosher

Yosher said:

'twas a good year for the man in green! ..but I also spot an image mentioning 2014 as the Year of Yoshi. Hint hint, guys?

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I've been a fan of Luigi since SMB on the NES. Maybe it is because I am the younger brother, and I was always player 2 on almost a every game.

I will always believe Luigi is superior to Mario, and will always be green at heart.

DreamyViridi

DreamyViridi said:

I'm also glad that Luigi's special year got a formal official closing as opposed to fading away. Makes it all the more special.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

With the grumblers on this one, have Nintendo got anything relevant to talk about as well as their quaint self congratulation? The fact that they seem to be skipping another Direct, after an absence of any new Wii U title reveals last month and no direct the month before that. Aside from Indie games we have no significant releases in the first half of the year (-1day) and no release dates for anything beyond that. If we are lucky we might get Watch_Dogs in the summer but there is a very real chance that it might not even be out this year.
Sure we could be getting regular releases in the forms of X, Bayonetta, Smash Bros, Yoshi, Fire EmblemXSMT, but so far those have only been giving yearly estimates, most of which were set over a year ago. There is currently a very real chance that there will be nothing until around October. I really hope X is as close to completion as it looks, and that Nintendo is going to drop some suprises on us because right now the situation looks terrible. : (

MrGawain

MrGawain said:

Bizarre that Miyamoto brings the 13 month year of Luigi to an end 2 days after the end, and nothing of note happens to replace it in a week Super Metroid is 20, Yoshi has been released on the 3ds, GDC is happening, and everyone is looking for a bit of good news to tide us until MK8. It's as if they had something planned and it all fell through before they had a chance.

Yup, that sums up Nintendo....

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

What was the point in continuing the Year of Luigi in 2014 if they didn't release anymore Luigi themed video games? "Sigh' I kinda thought they'd pull a NES Remix and announce a new Luigi game before March 18... But I guess not.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Year of 2nd Tier Franchises next. Star Fox, F-Zero, Fire Emblem and more.

AuraStryker

AuraStryker said:

Luigi will always be loved by gamers, and even with his year officially over, people are still going to hope that the green machine will still make great appearances in games.

Now for Yoshi to get some love for all the times some people dropped him off a cliff. (You know who you are)

2Sang

2Sang said:

I liked the weirdness of luigi throughout the year, but I hope the next year is given to someone non-mario.

Genesaur

Genesaur said:

I generally play as Mario (my younger brother would usually play Luigi), but I have come to prefer Luigi as a character, even if I still mainly use Mario.

Patchouli

Patchouli said:

I'm the older brother, but I have fond memories of always picking Luigi playing Marioparty 2.

FritzFrapp

FritzFrapp said:

It was a hugely missed opportunity not doing an HD remake of the original Luigi's Mansion with Wii Remote support for Wii U.

20th and 15th anniversaries for Excitebike and Mother respectively. I'd be very happy if anything special was done for either of those franchises.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

I'll only consider it done when NES Remix 2 releases.
And it's great that next year i'll probably be fine with using him in Mario Kart again. It would just not have felt right during the YoL.

Dark-Link73

Dark-Link73 said:

(pfft) Oh yeah (sure) hooray for Luigi! (whatever).... Can we start the "Year of Metroid" now??? Just wondering ;-)