Six Portable Mega Man Games, Including Mega Man Xtreme and its Sequel, Coming to 3DS Virtual Console

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Now that's Mega

How many times will we all buy old Mega Man games? Over and over again, judging by Capcom's actions, as it's lining up even more retro Blue Bomber adventures for Nintendo hardware; this time around the 3DS Virtual Console's getting the fun, adding to Game Boy title Mega Man: Dr Wily's Revenge and various NES entries that have already landed on the service.

This time around Capcom is rounding up six more games for the 3DS eShop; this includes the four remaining Game Boy titles in addition to two Game Boy Color releases:

These are due to start arriving in May in North America — previous form suggests that Europe may lag a little behind — and Capcom Unity is running a poll to give you a chance to choose which one will come first. The poll ends at 10am Pacific time on 14th April, with the winner arriving on 1st May; the remaining titles will then arrive in the following weeks as part of a 'Mega May'.

Are you excited about these arrivals on the 3DS Virtual Console and, most importantly, which do you want first?

[via capcom-unity.com]

Related Games

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

Great timing, this coming Friday I will be releasing my 6th EP tribute to Mega Man's 25th birthday, this one covers exactly "Mega Man 3" for the Game Boy, my second Mega Man game and one of my all time favourites. You can stream the EP already from YouTube. I might have to pick these up again.

BLPs

BLPs said:

Ah, more to buy. Good, as I have always wanted these titles.

Now for a bigger question, this is a fan decided release (initially), well, they got over that pet peeve fast huh?

Bassman_Q

Bassman_Q said:

I heard that Megaman V was pretty good; I'll probably pick that one up at least.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Not bothered about these.

I would like a port of the PSP ones. (The remakes of X and the first Megaman I forget the names).

Or X / X2 / Saturn X4. (Fixed up as necessary like the slowdown from the first avoided).

Karakato

Karakato said:

MM IV and V are surprisingly polished for a GB game and is a blast to play. I'd rank them better than MM 4, 5 & 6 on the NES IMO. But I'd skip MMII if I were you.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

Finally, took them long enough. Now were just missing the rest of the console titles on the WiiU: MM 5-7 and X3. and while youre at it, throw in Soccer and the GBA games ;) There can never be too much MegaMan

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

I hope they release more than one a month. I'd seriously like to get my hands on the GBC games.

Edit: Whoops, I just realized the article and Capcom Unity both said they'd arrive every week after that. Well, that's good news! I voted for Xtreme 2 to release first, but it'll probably be either V or Xtreme 1 first.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@BLPs Well, we probably wont see X4-6, since these are PSx games (or also Saturn in case of X4)
So, no VC release ;)

Squid

Squid said:

I didn't like Wily's Revenge, but I'll look into these titles and see which is best; definitely will be getting one of these.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Finally I can play Mega Man V on GB, I have been waiting to play that game for years.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

I pretty much stick to the NES originals and the X games on SNES, but I'd be willing to pick up Xtreme and it's sequel.

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

Finally, these are coming. NOA really dropped the ball in getting these over here. It has been months since these were announced.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Einherjar Well Megaman 2 / Megaman X are on iOS and there was the Gamecube Collection. (So the later ones are already ported).
Hopefully what they say about mobile will change their priorities a bit.

marc_max

marc_max said:

Skip II.
PLAY IV and V. These are the best, and are probably over some of the best rated MM NES games. V has also cool and exclusive robot masters :-)

Xtreme and Xtreme 2 are also very enjoyable. A lot of unlockables and things to do.

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

@tom_q
Mega Man IV and V are actually better than any of the NES games, but tend to get overlooked for being Gameboy games.

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Einherjar

The PSN is a thing you know? XD Capcom just loves messing us about. Who knows, maybe these will be cancelled and we will get XOver. :(

BLPs

BLPs said:

@unrandomsam

The collections exist, and while I own the X Collection...I live in Britain, so even though I own it, I cannot play it. The only one I could play is the Zero Collection sadly, and I can't even record that for LPs.

FX102A

FX102A said:

@BLPs In the same boat, except one of my PS2's is modded so I can play the X collection. Do you have the PS2 or GC version of the X Collection?

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I had no idea there was a portable Megaman X, so I would get those two as soon as they are available.

Bryon15

Bryon15 said:

I already have all of these games in their original carts. Which play perfectly on my gba sp. Why should I buy the same games again? I want a new megaman game.

Mike1

Mike1 said:

About damn time, finally something new. I'm sick of the NES games getting released which have been available on the Wii for years.

ikki5

ikki5 said:

there, 3DS gets these, Wii U get GBA. 3DS owners can stop whining.... though they obviously won't...

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

A poll?! They're kidding, yes?
Finish up the NES lineup, add the GB titles in order and MAKE A NEW GAME.
It's not rocket science, Capcom. Stop treating Mega Man like an A-list franchise when you're dead set on NOT making a new installment.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@BLPs WHat does the PSN have to do with the WiiU VC ? I was talking about releases on the VC, not releases in general.
When it comes to that, id prefer a filled to the brim legacy collection:
1 Bluray filled with each and every game from the series, from the classics all the way to the PS3 titles (DS titles could be complicated though if its NOT on the WiiU. But honestly, considering that most games originated on a nintendo consoles, the WiiU would be the only right way to go here.
And with the drought surrounding the franchise as a whole, i bet that it will attract quite a lot of customers.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I'm actually glad Mega Man II , Mega Man III , Mega Man IV & Mega Man V are being released on the 3DS VC in May. I really enjoyed Mega Man: Dr. Wily's Revenge , and ever since I beat that game on the 3DS VC , I had a huge craving for the rest of the Blue Bomber's GAME BOY classics. But I couldn't give a care less for Mega Man Xtreme or Mega Man Xtreme 2 in all honesty. I prefer the 3 Mega Man X games on SNES tbh. As for missing games, isn't it about time we also got Mega Man 5 , Mega Man 6 & Mega Man 7 on Wii U VC also too CAPCOM. Also, the reason why I added Mega Man 7 is because I always heard that was one of the rarest SNES games to find. And to me, it would be a real treat to experience that game. ;)

allav866

allav866 said:

This year is the year my wallet cries in agony. I still need Mega Man 5, 6, and Wily's Revenge.

allav866

allav866 said:

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Just want to play V, not to mention 7...which will never see the light of day, unless you spend over $100 for a loose copy on eBay. ;)

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

@BinaryFragger

If anyone is that DESPERATE enough to shell out $500 or around that amount, then the only people I see doing that would be hardcore SNES game collectors.

@WaveBoy

I wouldn't say we will NEVER see the light of day with Mega Man 7. It could be possible about that being the case, then again, it may not. It's just a matter of time on how fast CAPCOM releases Mega Man 7 on the Wii U VC.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@3DSLUIGI

Capcom didn't even release MM6 on the Wii's VC... :P
At this point, i'd rather shell out the cash and get the cart rather than wait another 2-3 years. Capcom's VC pacing is quite gappish'

Steveovig

Steveovig said:

I hope we get the Battle Network games on the Wii-U! I own the first 5 but I'd re-buy them so I don't have to play them on my GCN.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

Good thing this wasn't posted today. Despite not really being a fan favourite i still enjoyed the VC release of the first GameBoy Mega Man a lot. And this is not an April Fool's joke.
And since i prefer to play games chronologically gimme Mega Man 2 first please. :)

Fandabidozi

Fandabidozi said:

I can recommend Mega Man IV. This, Pokemon Yellow and Monster Max I still play on my Game Boy :)

BLPs

BLPs said:

@Einherjar I mentioned the PSN is a thing for the X games, because believe it or not, X3-8 are Playstation titles (X3 got a port).

I suppose, at the end of the day, that a legacy collection would work. Remaster the BN/Starforce for 3DS or Wii U, and hell, now I think about it, that is a double push for both Wii U and Megaman.

Maybe Smash 4 will lead to a Kid Icarus Uprising event for our Blue Bomber?

Heng-Yu

Heng-Yu said:

Finally, I was wondering when they would finally release them in the US. I assume 5 will be the first to be release if there is a poll as that one is the hardest to get on ebay and most likely the one many gamers missed back then.

GBLUIGI

GBLUIGI said:

I forgot to add in last night that it would also be real sweet to see a game surface like Mega Man & Bass from the GBA on the Wii U eShop if they ever get around to that. I never played much of it, but I did like the way how they gave you the option to play as Bass for the first time in a Mega Man game.

supermario182

supermario182 said:

i would honestly prefer they release these games in packs. or for much cheaper. i might actually pay .99 to get all of these each, or maybe like 5-10 bucks for the entire pack.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

Capcom has been a fantastic Virtual Console supporter.
This is a great effort for fans but I'd love to complete my NES collection on the Wii U VC. Another gem would be the Mega Drive's 'Rockman - Megaworld', a 16-bit compilation of the first three MM NES outings (like what All-Stars did for Mario). I have yet to see this one on ANY Mega Man compilation and would buy it on Wii U VC or 3DS VC for sure.

OnionOverlord

OnionOverlord said:

@Bryon15

I own pretty much every Mega Man game ever made (including many of the Japanese ones) except for Battle and Chase, yet I still want to buy these for my 3DS. Why? Because playing old classics on new systems is fun. You should try to be a bit more open minded. Besides that, these are good for those who don't have 70 bucks burning in their pockets for Mega Man V, which is the main one I recommend. A new Mega Man would be nice but isn't likely given Capcom's current attitude toward Mega Man. We're better off looking to Mighty No.9 for the future, unless Mega Man's appearance in the new Smash can generate enough interest in him to justify a new game.

I also second the motion set by Sleepinglion for Mega World, as it was a digital game to begin with. Mega Man X3 would be great as well. That game is quite expensive online. Rockman & Forte would be nice too, even if we get the inferior GBA version.

(EDIT: removed the majority of my post as I realize it was unwarranted for this discussion.)