Early Mighty No. 9 Screenshots Blast Into View

Posted by Mark Green

Looking mighty fine

In September 2013, Mega Man mastermind and creator, Keiji Inafune, teased fans all over the world with the idea of a spiritual successor to the Blue Bomber. He showed off concept art and ambitious plans for his project, but the one thing he lacked was money, and so he turned to Kickstarter to ask fans to provide the necessary funds in order to make his ideas a reality. Of course, with Mega man as popular as he is – despite what some people might say – the campaign received its support by the thousands, and within a matter of days the project had reached its target. The game went on to amass funds well beyond its initial requirements, and so Mighty No. 9 was ready to take off.

Of course, developing a game doesn't happen overnight, and so the only sights that the fans have been able to enjoy are prototype images and further concept art. However, at long last, the official Mighty No. 9 site has shown off the first screenshots of the game in its Alpha state — that update has since, intriguingly, been taken down, but eager fans had already grabbed the images. Now fans can finally see how the game is doing and get a feel of what is to come. Unfortunately there aren’t that many to look at, but beggars can’t be choosers, and what we can see is a sleek looking hero dishing out some damage to its dastardly foes, along with a pretty moody and glorious backdrop.

With Mighty No. 9 adopting a percentage of Mega Man’s sizeable global fan base, these screenshots – in spite of their early-build status – are a welcome sight. But what do you think? Are you even more excited by these screenshots, or do you think that it’s ‘too soon’ to show them? Do you think Mighty no. 9 will succeed in standing shoulder to shoulder with its Cyan big brother, or do you think it will have to live in its predecessor’s shadow? Let us know!

[via gematsu.com, neogaf.com]

IRNBRU115

IRNBRU115 said:

Looks great.... Will have to know more for a purchase from me though, I'm not into dark/megamaney/metroidey plat formers...

Artie

Artie said:

God Bless Keiji Inafune. I'm gonna buy this game like Cave Story, on a billion platforms over and over and over.

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

Looks great so far. I hope they'll keep some of the testing level designs as bonus stages - I love those kinds of callbacks!

DerpSandwich

DerpSandwich said:

I was sort of hoping for sprites like in the original concept art rather than 3D models. But I'm sure it will look good at the end regardless.

Nintenjoe64

Nintenjoe64 said:

I was just saying that Shovel Knight was getting me more excited but this still looks good. I reckon Capcom should pick this up just before release and brand it Megaman. Even with the Kickstarter doing exceptionally well, I bet the cost for Capcom to buy the rights and publish this would be much less than whatever they internally costed for a Megaman reboot.

Kmno

Kmno said:

Eagerly waiting for this, I haven't had my Megaman fix in a long time.

AdanVC

AdanVC said:

Great! Mr. Inafune looks very happy. There's no doubt that when you work doing your favorite thing, everything would be a pleasure to do and it would not be work at all. Looking nice, day one purchase from me.

Azikira

Azikira said:

I love seeing how games evolve over time, and these shots give me lots of hope for how early in development it is

ACK

ACK said:

Terrible. Looks terrible. That is not Megaman to me. It's early, but the visual design choices that put me off are unlikely to change. Oof.

AlexSora89

AlexSora89 said:

@Azikira
Same here. This is gonna be a blast on my 3DS, whatever the gap between the HD version's graphics and the 3DS version's own is.

ACK

ACK said:

@AdanVC See how he's lording over his employees with a survelliance monitor...?

Is he saying, "peace, I got this"? Or, "victory, it will be mine"?

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The first screenshot looks good, and the other two are clearly early, so just give it time and it should look great.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

Does it look that much better than say something like A.R.E.S or Chaos Domain. It should be light years better given the extra resources.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@ACK
I'm only put off by the first screen shot with the industrial dark back drop. It's in it's early stages so it's not fair to judge, but as is....Not feeling it. :P it's too 'simple' looking. Mega Man 7 & 8 look a lot more impressive. :P

Still, i like the look of Beck and the enemies are sporting some pretty neat colors!

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@LUIGITORNADO The thing that most of the other people making games like this recently haven't seemed to do very well on is the level design and the life in the enemies. (Controls slightly worse than I would like but not noticeable to the same extent as say a 30fps 3DS game).

ColdingLight

ColdingLight said:

Ehhh so the game is going to look like the early tech demo that came out? mhm Alright I suppose.

AugustusOxy

AugustusOxy said:

Not super excited for this for a lot of reasons. This just proves the horrible state the industry is in-- where big names wont even use their IPs out of fear of losing a nickel, so their creators have to exploit their fans for funding to create a ripoff of their own products.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

@AugustusOxy

agreed. The current state of the industry, 3rd party wise is a disaster. I'm now rooting for Inafune's company AND Yacht Club at this point. Mega Man, Ghosts 'n goblins, contra, castlevania and all of the other wonderful classic franchises are dead at this point in favor of BroShooter 99 and ZombieSlayer 101. The state of 3rd party titles is a deserted brown & grey waste land of Stubble Soldiers, Evil aliens and an oversaturation of zombies including goopy bloody for all the kiddies to enjoy!

They're nothing but kindergarten difficulty'd tweener wiener romps for insecure 2000's teenagers who feel the need to prove their silly masculinity, in a virtual battlefield of all things....Yeah, i'm sure busty betsy down the street really cares what game you're playing, since most women hate videogames to begin with. ;) Perhaps avoiding all colorful whimsical and fantasy-based Nintendo games is a tool to avoid a Toilet Dunkeroo in Jr.High school from Jerry the Jar Head.

Anyhoo, Shovel Knight gives me a glimmer of hope, looks outrageously fun! B-)
Mighty N.9, not much to say. No footage + early screens after all. The Concept art definitely looked better than that first screen though.

Anguspuss

Anguspuss said:

looking good. Might not get 3rd party support but the indie games just keep coming. Just need FOLDERS now so we dont have to scroll along all the time

andrea987

andrea987 said:

Looking good, but I was FAR more interested in that KAIO game, which kind of disappeared...

Squid

Squid said:

This looks great! I really wish I was able to back this, it really deserves all the help it can get! :)

Gorlokk

Gorlokk said:

I'm not going to complain since it's in its alpha stage, but all I can say is that I hope the final product resembles the concept art more.

...And I hope we get to hear more about that cute pirate game for 3DS sometime.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

@audiobrainiac

It's coming to all platforms. First it hit the Wii U, PC and Mac goal, then it broke the threshold for coming to 3DS and Vita, and during the final 24 hours of funding it broke the PS4 and X1 threshold. So it's coming to all consoles (not sure about PS3 and 360 though). But as for Wii U and 3DS, yes. As for PS4 and Vita, yes. And as for X1, yes.

JaxonH

JaxonH said:

Wow, these screenshots surpass my wildest expectations! I funded the game during Kickstarter, and have a free Wii U download coming to me on release day. But you better believe I'm buying this on 3DS, PS4 and Vita as well.

This is our chance to show Capcom what we want. THIS is what we want. And maybe, just maybe, if they get the message after seeing sales explode for this game, they'll make a new Mega Man, with CURRENT downloadable game standards, not 8-bit (although MM9 and MM10 were much appreciated). Although, I guess we'll have Mighty Number 9 so that'll scratch the itch nicely. In fact, it'll probably turn out better than any new Mega Man game Capcom could muster.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@AugustusOxy
To add insult to injury, the IP they DO decide are worth while don't even sell 'enough' either. If survival horror is niche, then what do you call failing to reach 6mil?

Sadly, you can hardly depend on the big names in the industry anymore, not like we used to. Most have their redeeming qualities, but its all about the smaller and indie companies if you want something creative or different.

Zobocop

Zobocop said:

There is no way those screen shots indicate an Alpha state. Two of the images show nothing but UDK static mesh. Alpha is at least "content complete" even if full of placeholder assets.

Cyb3Rnite

Cyb3Rnite said:

@ACK Duh. It's not supposed to be a carbon copy of Megaman. It's supposed to be a spiritual successor.

Tsk. @.@

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I am mildly impressed with what I am seeing of these screenshots. I actually expected something a bit different in terms of color, but this could still turn out to be a great game. I'll wait until it officially releases before I hold any judgement.

Shadowflash

Shadowflash said:

@LUIGITORNADO Well, they're probably not focusing on the level design and the looks and all that yet. I'm sure they're just trying to get a working prototype.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Hmm, I thought it would look more celshaded like the first artwork. But now it looks like they have chosen polygons. It doesn't look as good as I hoped!

Kolzig

Kolzig said:

It's looking promising but very early, still a long way to go before the final product. Shame that they are going for the 3D models, but at least it would look fine on 3DS then.

It will be the Megaman/Rockman that we never got.

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

Yup, the artwork looks miles better than the early in-game stuff that we're currently getting....I hope the visuals see a drastic change, as is it's all very simple, bluh and PS2-like. with the Power of the Wii U I was just expecting more.
Untitled