Luigi Actor Danny Wells Takes The Great Warp Pipe To The Sky, Aged 72

Posted by Damien McFerran

Death of Mario Bros. Super Show star brings a somber end to Year of Luigi

Those of you old enough to recall The Super Mario Bros. Super Show will no doubt be saddened to hear that Danny Wells, who played Luigi, has passed away at the age of 72.

The actor — whose real name was Jack Westelman — passed away last Thursday. He starred in the Mario Bros. Super Show alongside Lou Albano, who played Mario, and also had roles in numerous films and television shows, as well as supplying his vocal talents to various video games.

It's a sad way to end The Year of Luigi — Danny, you will be missed.

[via kotaku.com]

Godlike_Virus

Godlike_Virus said:

-_- Me and the fiance have been watching this show here again recently...saddening this happens now. Especially with it being the year of Luigi. Thank you for being an awesome part of my childhood growing up. R.I.P

scrubbyscum999

scrubbyscum999 said:

Even as a kid born in 1995, I did know about this show and I believed I watched it a few times. Mad respect man, Mr. Westelman, you will be remembered for ages and ages to come. salutes RIP

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

Really sad news.:( I always remember watching the show so often, I was totally obsessed with it. It was one of the things that made my childhood special. R.I.P Luigi...err...Danny Wells.

Pit-Stain

Pit-Stain said:

Wow! What an ironic coincidence! He died at the near end of the year of Luigi! O.o

Pete41608

Pete41608 said:

It's crazy that he died after the final Year of Luigi product is released. (SM3DW)

RIP Danny

WYLD-WOO

WYLD-WOO said:

Sure Jack Westelman`s performances as Luigi will be seen and loved by lots of kids for many years to come, R.I.P

XavandSo

XavandSo said:

:( Even though I grew up in Australia, I remember the trilogy (Super Show, SMB 3 and SMW) being broadcast over here, and remember them fondly. Rest in Peace.

Dark-Luigi

Dark-Luigi said:

Wow, this is so saddening, I loved that show! And he died at almost the end of the year of Luigi. R.I.P You will be missed. :'(

Artwark

Artwark said:

I used to watch the show over and over again. Luigi was the funniest next to King Koopa.

I'll miss you Danny. :'(

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

As the year of Luigi comes to an end, Luigi takes his leave.
I bet he doesnt want us to grief. To the bonus stage above the smiling clouds, friend.
Everyone: Do the Luigi :)

Rin-go

Rin-go said:

@Einherjar
This was really well put.
"To the bonus stage above the smiling clouds."

Did also watch the show as a child.
Rest in Peace.

Shworange

Shworange said:

Eventually we all run out of 1ups. Very sad. I watched the super Mario super show as a kid. It was great. I bought a couple seasons for my kids and they love em! The show was just silly and light hearted. It's nice to come home from work and one of my kids are now playing an episode. To be heralded through my door to "Do the Mario" is refreshing. Thanks Danny and Captain Lou!

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

I was pretty saddened when I found this out by a Kotaku tweet last night. Although I don't clearly remember watching the Super Mario Bros. Super Show as a young kid since it was before my time, I do have a DVD collection that I remember watching seven years ago and enjoying, and I probably did watch a few episodes before that. I definitely remember the Super Mario World cartoon, though. Wells was a great Luigi. Spooky that he died toward the end of the Year of Luigi as well.

I'll most likely be watching a few episodes of the shows later this month to pay tribute.

BlatantlyHeroic

BlatantlyHeroic said:

We had all expected that the Year of Luigi would end on a smooth note, but it actually ends on a somber one. Tragic irony.

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

Super Mario Bros Super Show was a truly special cartoon during it's release that most kids went ga ga over whenever they suprised us with a new episode of Legend of Zelda. side it with Captain N: The game master and you're in for one massive NintenTreat. My childhood wouldn't of been the same without this magical show. I absolutely loved how a lot of it was based around SMB.2 and how they used the actual sound effects from the games themselves. RIP

oOo-Sega-oOo

oOo-Sega-oOo said:

Thanks for all the great childhood memories, waking up on a Sunday morning to watch the show. RIP you will be missed Luigi. For anyone interested and who hasn't seen how good this show is, Super Mario Bros. Super Show is now on Netflix too.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

I am 32, so I remember the show very well. My little girls have been watching it on Netflix recently. I broke the news to them yesterday. RIP good sir. I hope you know the joy you brought to millions of kids.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

Wow its is sad w hen we are reminded how mortal we are. I use to watch this show all the time when I was a kid. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends. May you rest in peace good sir. Now Heaven is doing the Mario with you and the Captain.

allav866

allav866 said:

This has been a crazy year for the Year of Luigi. Charles Martinette of course played his role as Luigi, but also John Leguizamo recorded a special message for the 20th anniversary of "Super Mario Bros.: The Movie," and now Danny Wells has died. My condolences to his friends and family.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

I loved this show as a kid, mostly for the Zelda show. In fact, I woke up at 5:30 every morning so that I could see it. But like most cartoons from the 80's, at least for me, they have not aged well. Still for it's time it, and my age then, it was a great show

Condolences to his friends and family.

Marshi

Marshi said:

Aww my 3 year old son watches the super mario bros super show and luigi is his fave!(mainly because of all the luigi themed games ive shown him this year). I think he'd actually cry if he found out his hero had died. Saddening indeed. God bless

SammyOfMobius

SammyOfMobius said:

RIP Danny Wells. I can only imagine how sad it'll be booting up one of my copies of the SMB Super Show in the future, seeing Luigi throughout each episode, knowing that his actor is dead now. :(

Kaze_Memaryu

Kaze_Memaryu said:

The time has come... let us play a warp flute for the greatest hero of our childhood... Game Over for Danny Wells.

Luna-Harmony

Luna-Harmony said:

Ahhh that's so i used to watch this in the uk would my nans house it used tobe on sky1 tv when i was a kid.

AK-1138

AK-1138 said:

Well, I always hated that piece of crap show, but damn if Mr. Wells didn't make for a likeable, congenial Luigi. RIP

( Not the most ideal way to end the Year of Luigi :/ )

Prime

Prime said:

He has now climbed up the vine to the clouds, and is in a better place,
collecting coins, gaining 1 ups, and the exit is sealed

REST IN PEACE IN THE PIPEWORLD

I still remember watching this semi-recently.

K-Gamer

K-Gamer said:

Watched the all the episodes on Netflix, thought him and Lou were perfect voice for there characters. R.I.P.

Kaine_Morrison

Kaine_Morrison said:

Mario and Luigi are together again... forever... Rest in Peace Danny!

This is a terrible Month for Celebrities!
First Roger and Paul now Danny...

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

As much as this is upsetting news, what better time to kick the bucket than after a long life, topped with a year dedicated to the character you're known for playing? It sucks that he's dead now, but there's fewer better ways to go.

NINTENCHIP

NINTENCHIP said:

@Mario500 Wow...just goes to show two things.

1) Mario's appeal was hella-strong.

2) Nintendo has money like "DAMN" if they can pull the plug on a winning show because they were just "done" with it. Not sure if I admire their focus in what they're doing, or if I'm flabbergasted by their lunacy in doing that. Either way...wow...

mudmask

mudmask said:

My 3 year old watches this on Netflix. I watched it on TV when I was his age.

Henmii

Henmii said:

Rest in peace Danny! A sad end to the Luigi year for sure! It's a pity that both actors (Lou and Danny) didn't become very old! But it can't be helped.

Subie98

Subie98 said:

@CountWavula agreed. I miss all those shows. I remember the super mario world cartoon too. Anyone else remember the sonic cartoon or mega man one as well?

WaveBoy

WaveBoy said:

@Darknyht

really? Transfoerms, GIJOE, Thundercats, The Real Ghostbusters, Captain N the game master,He-man, Ninja Turtles, LOZ & SMB Super show for their dairing whackyness, Peewee's playhouse inspired set and epic zany NintenCheese are all wonderfully timeless imo. Modern cartoons are so bad i wont even give them the time to age. There are exception like Adventure Time and a couple more but mostly these days they're moralless, poorly drawn, lifeless flash animated CG buckets of uncreative trash. The 80's and early 90's were thee' two decades that boasted thee' greatest cartoons period. And on the topic of CG cartoons, i don't think any CG based cartoon series can top Reboot or even Beast Wars(That show had soul)

Did you ever Watch the Beetlejuice cartoons from the early 90's? Surprisingly super well done. Loved that show! Wouldn't mind getting the complete series on DVD.

Darknyht

Darknyht said:

@CountWavula Yeah, i watched all of those and loved them as a kid. However I've grown up and I can now see them for what they basically were, a 24 minute commercial (So much so that they had to pass a law preventing such blatant marketing in kid's programming).

Animation has vastly improved, along with writing and production values. I will stand any of those up against shows like Marvel's Avenger's Assemble, Batman: The Animated Series, Animaniacs, The Tick, and Justice League.

That said, we are talking something very subjective and most likely we will have to agree to disagree. Like I said, I have fond memories of it as a kid, just don't see the value of it now. It is the same issue I have with shows like the original Star Trek. By the end of the episode what happened did not matter and nothing permanently changed except another anonymous red shirt died.

Sonic128

Sonic128 said:

I didn't grow up with the show, but ive seen maybe half of the episodes and this is still really sad.

Gameday

Gameday said:

Whoa , is it a sign that i just watched this on netflix like a week ago ? I use to watch this as a kid back in the day btw does anyone remember the fruit/soft drinks they use to have for mario bros ? That stuff was awesome no joke.

Anyhow that really sad to hear indeed , R.I.P 72 is a great age to go out on.
I need to look him up to see if he starred in anything else i didnt know about ~
Year of Luigi