Designer Creates a 3D Model of Onett from EarthBound

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Prompts dreams of a HD game

When it comes to inspiring video game culture Nintendo is arguably top of the class, and one game — among many — that can inspire impressive levels of fan devotion is Super NES RPG EarthBound. Its release on the Virtual Console this year caused a frenzy of excitement after years of waiting, satisfying waiting retro gamers and introducing new players to its charms,

Fans love the series, which has led to entire translations and other dedicated work in its name; 3D Designer Christopher Behr has now weighed in with an impressive recreation of EarthBound's Onett in HD 3D models. It's gone viral over on Reddit, and it certainly makes us wonder how a modern title in the series would look.

Check out all of the images below and let us know what you think, and they're even available to order as prints at www.redbubble.com; for comparison there's also an image of the original Onett.

Original

Christopher Behr's Designs

Our thanks to Shane for the tip.

[via reddit.com, christopherbehr.com]

Tsurii897

Tsurii897 said:

That's pretty awesome :D
And it would fit the overall dark atmosphere of the story perfectly imo.

Big_L91

Big_L91 said:

it makes me sad that we'll never see another earthbound.
they really nailed that feeling of childhood.

readyletsgo

readyletsgo said:

Haha, they look brilliant! The amount of work they must have taken to make!

Come on Nintendo, make another Earthbound for Wii U, you have nothing to lose at this stage of the Wii U's life. Everyone wants it.

Haxonberik

Haxonberik said:

Really good job, but I'm not really fond of the color palette/art style of the 3D version TBH

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

I wish I hadn't even seen that. Now I'll be itching for days for an HD remake that will never happen. :(

Hong

Hong said:

3d = brown, and bloom. Gotta have that bloom.

Really, though. I like how he captured the characters themselves very well in the pictures.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

A real life model would be even cooler. The 3D version kind of feels like earthbound meets Lego City, but without all the legos.

MadAdam81

MadAdam81 said:

It looks gorgeous, but for me.Earthbound.wouldn't make my top 30 RPGs. A new Front Mission game would be great.

TheRealThanos

TheRealThanos said:

Insta-buy...
@StarDust Nah, this is exactly how it should look: the ACTUAL artwork but in 3D.
No need to screw it up and make it more 'realistic'. That was never the intent of Earthbound. It was meant as a modern day fairy tale/rpg/adventure game.

Radbot42

Radbot42 said:

I would love this so much. I played this game to death as a child. And still need to get it on my Wii U. Please let this happen Nintendo!

Geno92

Geno92 said:

WOW! That looks pretty sweet in HD. Let's see him make fourside and saturn valley. Those I want to see in HD.

Kirk

Kirk said:

I much prefer the more "toon" style of the actual game, rather than the kind of more "realistic" and "rendered" look here, but this is a mighty impressive achievement regardless.

Williaint

Williaint said:

This reminds me of the models they had for the Earthbound players guide...
It's pretty neat.