Reboot Of Gross 16-bit Platformer Boogerman Could Be Coming To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Boogerman 20th Anniversary: The Video Game is getting Kickstarted

16-bit cult classic Boogerman could be getting a HD remake for PC, Mac OS, PS4, PS Vita, and Wii U — should it successfully meet its Kickstarter goal of $375,000.

The campaign is being run by original creators Mike Stragey and Chris Tremmel, who produced Boogerman 20 years ago when they worked at defunct publisher Interplay. Since then, the duo have plied their trade for companies such as Electronic Arts, Activision and WayForward, and have been credited on games such as The Lost Vikings, Shantae, Contra 4 and Shantae: Risky's Revenge.

Here's what the pair had to say about this proposed version:

Boogerman 20th Anniversary is a brand new side-scrolling action platform game. The game will be based on the original in terms of setting, story, and characters. We will maintain the tone of the 16-bit classic while at the same time bringing a new game structure, new mechanics, new levels, and new gorgeous HD animation, art, and presentation to the modern day consoles.

It has also been confirmed that former Rare composer Grant Kirkhope is creating an entirely new soundtrack for the game. The expected release date is November 2014.

There are 34 days remaining on the campaign, and just over $6,000 has been pledged so far. Will you be opening your wallet?

[via kickstarter.com]

LeVideoGamer

LeVideoGamer said:

Another Kickstarter game with no Xbox One support? Interesting.

However, it doesn't strike me as a game that I'd enjoy.

WhiteTrashGuy

WhiteTrashGuy said:

BOOGERMAN!? Where's the EARTHWORM JIM love? Seriously, EWJ: SPECIAL EDITION for Sega CD is my favorite game of all time. Gameloft's DSi edition was pitiful and the HD edition on 360 was crap. EWJ 1 & 2 deserve proper re-releases in HD. And a new game could be amazing if done right. Too bad Griptonite isn't around anymore....

NbaJunkie

NbaJunkie said:

When I saw the headline, all I could say was yes! yes ! yes!I loved boogerman.I have fond memories of playing this as a kid.Ive been wanting this on wiiu VC.But this remake would really rock my socks.

Gerbwmu

Gerbwmu said:

This and Earthworm Jim were great platfomers way back when. I'll admit Boogerman is rather gross but it was funny and appealed to my immature self then as well as now. I hope this makes it

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

I really liked the original when I was younger and I still break out the SNES every now and then to relive the booger flicking goodness of this title, but I don't think that 375,000 is gonna happen for this one. I enjoyed it but 375,000 is just way too much for them to be asking for this one. Hope it happens, but I'm not holding my breath.

Unit_DTH

Unit_DTH said:

If this were earthworm Jim, then I would gladly pledge a large sum of money for it to be rebooted in HD!

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@LeVideoGamer I think it's some of the developers way of giving Microsoft the finger for their dismissal of indie support on the One & then flopping around on all their policies & now trying to support indies.

daveh30

daveh30 said:

Boogerman and EarthWorm Jim were easily the best non-Mario / Sonic platformers in the SNES/ Genesis era. I'd love to see this remade on Wii U! We also NEED a new EWJ title. like now.

Aaaannnnd... Backed. Thanks for the heads up, NL!

Captain_Gonru

Captain_Gonru said:

Like other posters, I'd rather see Earthworm Jim. Or Lost Vikings, for that matter. Such a great series...

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

This game bored me as a kid, so no thanks.
Wheres the Unirally or Rock n Roll Racing kickstarter?

Emblem

Emblem said:

This game was very meh when it was originally released, but I cannot fault the creators trying to make some money off of it if demand is high.

theoldman

theoldman said:

Such good news! The concept art almost has a Rayman feel to it. Hopefully that look stays for the actual game!

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

After watching a few kickstarters come and go, I honestly don't think 375,000 is too far out of range. Its highly possible. Keep watching this one. :)

Shiryu

Shiryu said:

I always found the original to be a sort of grosser "Earthworm Jim". I hope they make it, it's nice (if not always properly implemented) to see old ideas come back to life with new technology.

Rafie

Rafie said:

Some of you are forgetting that Earthworm Jim is already out in HD on the PS3/360. Yes I know it's not the Wii U, but it's still here.

I use to play Boogerman all the time at my cousin's house when we were kids. I didn't want the game for myself because I thought the concept was stupid (even as a kid!). However, it's not that bad of a game. If they do reach their goal, then I would definitely opted for the Wii U version.

Spectator

Spectator said:

LOL wow haven't played that game in a long time. Maybe we'll see Bubsy next.
375,000 good luck.

kinkofer

kinkofer said:

@Damo do you think Grant Kirkhope makes this Kickstarter more worthwhile? It's cool that we're getting lots of remakes, but more platformers/side-scrollers is just flooding the market.

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

I watched my friend play Boogerman back in the day and thought it was pretty funny. I never actually played the game myself though. I hope it meets its goal. I want an Earthworm Jim 4.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

After playing the Rayman games, I would love to see Michel Ancel doing a new EWJ game. I am buying Armikrog, of course.

Don't think I will support this one.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Not really a fan of this game but I did enjoy the Boogerman's addition in Clay Fighter 63 1/3 so if they want they could bring it. I am still puzzled as to why we never got the Clay Fighter remake like we are suppose to, it was suppose to hit WiiWare last gen ago and it never did.

hydeks

hydeks said:

awesome game, so what if it was gross, it was a great game on the Genesis! :P

Neram

Neram said:

Oh no, not again. Not another James Pond. Why are thee developers coming out of the woodwork trying to cash in on old forgotten franchises? Oh right, because that's just it, they're shanelessly cashing in.

8BitSamurai

8BitSamurai said:

I've played the original on SNES. Despite the obvious, that it's gross, I found it to be nothing more than a lame, mediocre, dime-a-dozen 2D platformer. Personally, I really recommend gamers avoid this.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

"FartCopter"

Sold!
Really, i remember pretending to be sick just so i could stay home from school and play this. It's the not the greatest platformer out there(not even close) but it's silly booger/fart based gimmick is what made it so appealing, This is suprising news, NOBODY would of seen this coming!

JustinH

JustinH said:

No thanks. Fair ask and all, and I think this will get funded and power to them, but there's no need to dig this little nugget out of the nose of the past.

Someone who is funding them should ask why they don't get the originals on the Virtual Console.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

@Neram What is worse actually making a new version or shamelessly cashing in by just rereleasing the exact same old version again and again.

XxGame_LoverXx

XxGame_LoverXx said:

If they reached ttheir Kick Starter goal for this game then most likely the Hd remake is kinda be on par with raymen legend type graphic

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Not the best character or the best games. You can try the VC game in Wii.

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Haha. Used to rent the original heaps back in the day. Wouldn't know how it holds up these days though.

Kirk

Kirk said:

No offensive but what you showed of the art for new game looks worse than the old art.

Sure, it's in HD but it doesn't look as well realized in my opinion. It looks too confusing and messy in the few images they showed as compared to the nice clear bold design of the original.

It's weird how so few of these modernized versions of classics don't actually realize the visual style and appeal of the originals very well and mostly end up just looking less appealing than the original 8bit/16bit graphics.

If it ended up looking something like Dragon's Lair, purely in terms of the visuals and that kind of animated cartoon look, then that would be cool but my first instinct is it will probably look more like your typical mobile game with HD graphics but lacking the same kind of visual charm and personality the original had.

Maybe I'm jumping the gun a bit but it I'd need to see a lot more of the actual game in action before I'd be convinced.

PS. I'm actually surprised and impressed at just how good the animation in the original is.