Nintendo Download: 29th August (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Legendary Zelda and Rayman tales are told, Ninja-tough NES action and more

Another Monday is brightened up by the Nintendo Download Update that brings a mix of Wii U and 3DS titles, while a DSiWare release also sneaks in. It's a true mix of the old and new once again, so let's get to the details.

Wii U Virtual Console

The Legend of Zelda (Nintendo, €4.99 / £3.49) — Another classic title arrives on the Wii U Virtual Console, though admittedly yet another that's already been enjoyed on the Wii and 3DS equivalents. Regardless of that, this is where the iconic franchise began, with many hidden solutions and quirks so beloved of the NES era, and undoubtedly a classic. You can see what we thought of its most recent release in our 3DS Virtual Console The Legend of Zelda Review. This is the U.S. version of the game.

Wii U Retail Downloads

Rayman Legends (Ubisoft, €44.99 / £36.99) — It's been a rather long wait for this platformer, but it finally arrives to make its impact on the Wii U software lineup. At one time arguably the most anticipated Wii U game during the launch window, it arrives with some additional content and the same gorgeous gameplay that hyped so many gamers in the first place. We'll bring you our review very soon.

Disney Planes (Disney Interactive, €39.99 / £34.99) — An exclusive to Nintendo systems, this film tie-in delivers pretty much what's to be expected, a content-lite but reasonably well-made package with plenty of aerial tasks to complete. It's lacking in the extra features so needed for games such as this, however, so we only awarded a modest recommendation in our Disney Planes review.

3DS Virtual Console

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (TECMO KOEI GAMES, €4.99 / £4.49) — The second part of the NES series that — in all likelihood — left young gamers curled up in a ball muttering "game over" repeatedly, it now arrives on the 3DS Virtual Console with all important save state functionality. While it is fiendishly difficult, it's also a fun action platformer that arguably brings notable improvements over the original with switched up moves and power ups. We'll summon our inner-Ninja for a review soon.

3DS Retail Downloads

Disney Planes (Disney Interactive, €29.99 / £24.99)

My Western Horse 3D (Treva Entertainment, €39.99 / £34.99)

DSiWare

Treasure Hunter X (Agetec, 200 Nintendo Points) — Although this arrived in North America way back in February 2011, this action puzzle game brings to mind retro titles such as Boulder Dash, yet struggles to bring any notable new ideas to play, or indeed match up to those sources of inspiration. It's not necessarily a bad game, but you can read our Treasure Hunter X review for all of the details.

That's your lot, Europe, a small update with one particularly notable release. Let us know what you plan to download in the poll and comments below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (213 votes)

The Legend of Zelda (Wii U Virtual Console)

19%

Rayman Legends (Wii U retail download)

25%

Disney Planes (Wii U retail download)

Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos

Disney Planes (3DS retail download)

My Western Horse 3D (3DS retail download)

Treasure Hunter X (DSiWare)

Nothing for me this week

50%

Please login to vote in this poll.

DM666

DM666 said:

Would have got Rayman but I'm going for Vita version, a little bit sick of the same old virtual console titles turning up!

Metalslime

Metalslime said:

Bit of a slow week for 3DS. I suppose it's for the best though with the Etrian Odyssey, SMT: Soul Hackers and Harvest Moon releases hogging up my free time and my bank balance. Still it would have been nice to have a game worthy of tempting me :

DESS-M-8

DESS-M-8 said:

Very nice price point for rayman, especially after disgusting wallet rapist that was Splinter Cell Blacklist last week.
Nearly £100 ubisoft have had out of me for 2 games?
Be warned ubisoft, if watchdogs and assassins creed IV are closer to the price of splinter cell rayman you'll have no more money from me Tgis year.

DarkCoolEdge

DarkCoolEdge said:

To say this a slow week would be a huge understatement.

When there aren't new games (or interesting new games) released, the void should be filled with worthy VC games. For God's sake, where are the GBC games? GBA seems like a lost cause but the lack of GBC offerings is depressing.

Nintendo is wasting the eShop's potential. Give us GBA games, GBC games and DS games! It's ridiculous and gets to my nerves that if I want to buy Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time new I have to pay more than it used to cost.

I understand they don't want tje eShop to be crowded but a week with two bad retail games and a NES one is absurd and happens way too often.

I'm getting very tired of how Nintendo handles certain things. I'm too old for this s***.

lividd3ad

lividd3ad said:

Can we have an ETA on the Rayman review? I'm really excited to hear how it stacks up against Origins (which is one of my all-time favourite games).

Chris720

Chris720 said:

Wow, disappointing... very disappointing. The best release is Rayman out of that list, shame I'm not interested in Rayman. :o

Kyoto

Kyoto said:

@Metalslime: EO IV will be released on the fifth of September, according to the info in the eShop itself. A bit strange as the retail copy will arrive this friday...

LittleFuryThing

LittleFuryThing said:

That Cave Story + release isn't going to happen is it? :(
It was, apparently, 'on the way' since March. Honestly, what is the problem with releasing that game?

Anyway, kind of looking forward to a quiet spell for downloads, what with Etrian Odyssey IV coming up and Inazuma Eleven 3 at the end of September.

MeWario

MeWario said:

Rayman! I feel like I've been waiting forever. The challenges app was good but didn't want to spoil the main game so tried not to play it too much!

Beechbone

Beechbone said:

I will be getting Rayman Legends but not as a digital download. I can get it cheaper at retail, and it's nice having awesome box. I buy most of my 3DS game digitally but for some reason for Wii U I still prefer boxed copy.

GiftedGimp

GiftedGimp said:

@DESS-M-8 Tbh, I brought Splintercell on Disc £20 cheaper than the eStore price (it is same price digitally on all platforms btw) but now having played it there is a lot of game content packed into Splintercell.
The real test of Splintercell full RRP value will be known once we know how much game content is contained within Rayman for its lower rrp.
Watch_dogs and AC Blackflag will be set at £49.99/£54.99 rrp for all platforms standard edition. Be suprised if not but these sort of games have high price tags and not just Ubi games. CoD games rrp are always at the £50 mark and even ps3 version of NFSMW was £59.99 rrp at launch.
Having said that I remember my parents paying £39.99 for Moon Patrol for the Atari2600 in the early 80's from Toys-r-Us so if the new standard price is £50 thats only a rise of £10 on about 30yrs

Cohort

Cohort said:

I need to pick up Trine 2 while it's on offer, definitely interested in Zelda but "no 60hz, no deal", can anyone confirm?

@MadAussieBloke TRUXTON would be superb!

MAB

MAB said:

@Mahe Yeah I was a bit worried when Sega wasn't on board from the get go with WiiU so I'm hoping when Sonic LW is released they jump on it... I'm still playing that awesome Game Gear VC but I'm looking forward to getting my hands on Megadrive 3D classics for sure ;)

@Cohort We Segarians need all of the cool stuff mate ;)

ULTRA-64

ULTRA-64 said:

Was gonna get rayman but a bit busy with games so sworn to finish 3 before I start another 1, got 12% still to go on Lego city, about a third of skyward sword and trine 2 looks allot bigger than I thought when I bought it so that'll hold things up.....oh and simply couldn't resist w101 on release day too so that's another one to get through.....and then there's pikmin3 to get....I feel a bit silly complaining there were no games now ;)

FlangoMango

FlangoMango said:

I cant believe nintendo are re-releasing all their old virtual games from wii to wii U one by one....thats shocking. If the old wii library was there to start with then Im sure the wii U would have a better shot.

123akis

123akis said:

WHERE IS FLIPNOTE STUDIO 3D NINTENDO???!! they're statement said "we decided to postpone our European launch until we can deliver the best possible service to users" then WHY is it taking this long?

Blizzaga

Blizzaga said:

Looking forward to the "Why can't Metroid crawl?" posts for this game on Miiverse. It will probably be "Why can't Zelda jump?"

ToniK

ToniK said:

Good to see Rayman finally arriving. VC seems permanently lacking. Just waiting for Deus Ex release date and maybe checking some games out in the meanwhile. And also Dream team bros. still keeps me busy.

Soooo, nothing for me this week.

Cohort

Cohort said:

@MadAussieBloke I own the original and a Genesis but i'd totally buy it if it came out on VC, I'm still waiting patiently to upgrade all those PC Engine shoot em ups that I bought from the shop channel ;)

@ScroogeMcLz Awesome, glad that Nintendo have dropped this 50hz nonsense.. bleh!

BillyCupid

BillyCupid said:

I wonder if we can expect the release of other VC Zelda games between now and the release of Wind Waker HD...?

mrkuribo

mrkuribo said:

Nice. I can now update my Wii copy of Zelda for the U version. That's all I'm downloading this week - probably will buy Rayman for Vita instead or PC.

Oniinside

Oniinside said:

I'll wait for Legends to drop a bit... it would have been a worthy D1 title some months ago, but the delay really pissed me off

timp29

timp29 said:

Wow. I don't think ninja gaiden 2 ever made it to Europe/Australia. I will of course be downloading this and Zelda.

Arg, my backlog grows. Being busy sucks :(

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@WinterWarm Well, you're wrong. There are only 2 games on sale on the 3DS eShop - Groove Heaven and Funfair Party Games. I already have Groove Heavan, and Funfair is overpriced and looks like shovelware.

faint

faint said:

@C-Olimar It may be your region. I'm in North America and it's showing 15 games on sale. Over half are triple a titles.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I'm glad to see a Zelda Wii U VC title at last... but I agree with so many other folks that Nintendo is squandering the potential of its eShop in terms of retro releases. With a catalog as massive as theirs ONE release a week just isn't going to satisfy the fan base that's had a system since launch. The 3DS eShop VC titles seem pretty solid but has yet to tap into the GBA's vast library. Looks like I'll spend a buck to upgrade my Zelda and that's about it. Rayman looks fantastic but my local Target and Toys R Us stores usually do a buy 2 get one free or but buy one get one half off deal every couple months.

WinterWarm

WinterWarm said:

@C-Olimar

Okay, this is weird. When I first read your comment I thought I'd confused 'Sale' with 'Price Drop'. Then, I go to the eShop, and lo and behold, certain titles in 'Price Drops' are on sale, while others had a permanent decrease in price. For instance, America/n Mensa Academy had a permanent drop, yet the six Ubisoft games, Code Of Princess, and like you said, at least two other titles were on sale. (SHOUT OUT: Last day on $10.00 Ubisoft Discount). I think Nintendo combined the two.

In conclusion, the logical answer is both of our assumptions were wrong.

Judgedean

Judgedean said:

Re - Wonderful 101 - I think I found some 'bugs' if that's the correct saying regarding the auto saves. I've been trying to get pure platinum on all the missions for each stage. If I didn't succeed in getting pure platinum on a mission, I would go to the menu and choose retry (from last save point) which would take me back to the beginning of that mission to try again. Found on mission 11 on stage 001a that it saves as soon as you finish that mission, so you can't retry from the beginning of that mission. Only way is to go right back to the beginning of that stage and try again. I think the auto save is in the wrong place. Hopefully a patch will fix this.

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

@WinterWarm Isn't it obvious I'm talking about the European eShop? This is the European Nintendo download after all. None of those titles are on sale on the European eShop.

DavidH

DavidH said:

See Bit.Trip Runner 2 has 25% off (until 12th Sept) on the European eShop, did that start today? not seen it mentioned on here or anywhere else today.
Great game for those that don't already own it.

The_Ninja

The_Ninja said:

They need to release GBA games. I can't find Superstar Saga anywhere and I would rather have it digital.