Zelda-Inspired Ittle Dew Heading To The Wii U eShop This Year

Posted by Andy Green

It looks a ittle bit like a top-down Zelda adventure

The Legend of Zelda has certainly inspired a lot of developers ever since it emerged as a franchise over a quarter of a century ago and it looks as though Swedish indie studio Ludosity has taken a leaf or two out of Link's adventures with its latest game Ittle Dew.

Though the action-adventure style puzzler bears much resemblance to Zelda, it brings with it its own unique cartoony style and humour. As a game, it doesn't appear to take itself too seriously and the main protagonist, though dressed in green, isn't quite as noble as Link. Of course, she does have a flying companion following her around at all times, although instead of Navi she has a fox called Tippsie who aids in her mission to get rich and annoy as many of the island's inhabitants as possible.

Ittle Dew is available now on PC and Ludosity has confirmed Mac and Steam editions will appear later in July, with a Wii U, Linux and mobile version due later in the year.

Is this a game you're interested in playing? Check out the trailer below and let us know what you think to it in the comment section.

[via eurogamer.net]

Grubdog

Grubdog said:

Jesus, this is shameless. At least bring your own designs to the table.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Interesting but it just feels too much like Zelda. I'm more excited for A Link Between Worlds anyway....

Just look at the main character, a blonde haired child wearing green, looks an awful lot like Link to me :P

EDIT: It's just occured to me that the main character is a girl.

Matillion

Matillion said:

Why the hate? :c
Sure, it's a little too much Zelda, but on the other hand, it's Zelda!
And looking past that it doesn't look bad.

ricklongo

ricklongo said:

The humor seems fresh, but the visual presentation could definitely have used some uniqueness.

smashbrolink

smashbrolink said:

Lots of familiar elements present here.
I'll give it a go once it hits the Wii U. Seems like it could be worth playing as a parody of the Zelda series.

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

I like the art style a lot. I'd like to see an official Zelda game using a style like that. I would have liked A Link Between Worlds to have been hand drawn, not 3-D polygons.

treeofmana

treeofmana said:

I think I might try and get this, though. It looks like it would be fun and fairly short.

sleepinglion

sleepinglion said:

I think it looks cute. As a lifelong Zelda fan I can appreciate a good homage/parody. It looks like they are treating the source material with love and wit, I'd like to give the game a try.

AJWolfTill

AJWolfTill said:

Looks more interesting than A Link between Worlds so far.... I'm sure my opinion wil change with time

ogo79

ogo79 said:

check out the super famicom game gunmans proof:
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled
this is a good game. zelda inspired and all

Hong

Hong said:

The fact is so closely resembles Legend of Zelda is why I bought it.

JaredJ

JaredJ said:

I would love an Official Zelda game on Wii U eshop in this art style! It looks amazing!

Shambo

Shambo said:

I want it, 3d dot game heroes didn't hide it's Zelda inspiration either and was great, partially for that exact reason.

kkslider5552000

kkslider5552000 said:

Ok guys, there's a thin line between homage and plagiarism...luckily this is nowhere near that line because wow they aren't even hiding it. I mean I'm not annoyed by it beyond the fact that barring the art style, it just doesn't look that good. I hate saying that about any Zelda-like but...eh.

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I, for one, am in favor of games taking the Zelda Clone approach. In my opinion, we don't get old-school top-down Zelda games often enough (especially GOOD ones...not that fond of the DS ones), so somebody else trying their hand at something similar is AWESOME.

james_squared

james_squared said:

I watched the trailer and it looks cute and fun with an interesting sense of humour. Maybe it'll make its way to my maybe list. Maybe.

Zodiak13

Zodiak13 said:

If the creators of this are calling this a homage than I'm OK with this. If they think they are being original than I'm not since they are either lying or very ignorant. Either way I am at the moment indifferent on wanted to play this at this time. I will see what is said when the game actually (if) comes out on the WiiU.

Rensch

Rensch said:

Looks a little too much like Zelda, particularly Minish Cap. But still, better properly stolen than having an original idea poorly executed.

Dizzard

Dizzard said:

The tagline should have been

"It's no Zelda but ittle dew."

In a way I don't see the issue with this, Nintendo aren't making Zelda games with hand drawn 2d graphics any more....so what's the big deal? It's not like Ittle Dew is encroaching on their space.

WaveyChristmas

WaveyChristmas said:

Looks like trash to me. hate the cookie cutter flash animated I-phone visuals.
I mean why bother? we already have Zelda why waste your time with a shameless inferior rip off that can't even touch the quality of a zelda game.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

Some of you need to lighten up. Seriously. Doesn't appeal to me too much as the premise is sort of "we do bad stuff, help us." The art looks great, I like how it jiggles like some traditional hand-draw animation styles. Has a nice smooth presentation. Puzzles look like they could be very interesting, too. It is trying to be funny, but the humor isn't for me, I guess.

Nothing wrong with more solid games for the platform however! I hope it does well.

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

I liked Arodyne and Evoland on steam. (Better £ to fun ratio than recent Zelda's anyway).

unrandomsam

unrandomsam said:

It won't do well on Wii U though because it will be at 25% of its price on Steam before it even gets released there in the first place.

Jukilum

Jukilum said:

@unrandomsam I agree that for many people that can be a deterrent, but there are a lot of games that are on Steam yet still sell on consoles.

ljinkakidd

ljinkakidd said:

It looks like... crap. Indies should, if they are inspired by a classy series such as Zelda at least do it justice. That's why I like Renagade Kid so much. They take what was good about old games and make it new.