New 3DS System Update Now Available

Posted by Orla Madden

Update for an update?

Nintendo has released another small system update, bumping the firmware up to 5.1.0-11U. After 3DS users updated the system to 5.0.0-11U last month, some experienced difficulty accessing the System Settings, eShop or Game Notes, so this new update should fix the old one.

Version 5.1.0-11U available via wireless Internet connection includes the following improvements:

Resolves an issue that may prevent access to the System Settings or other features.

Some users received an error during the system update and were then unable to access the System Settings, Nintendo eShop, or Game Notes. This update prevents this from occurring again. If you are currently experiencing this error, please click here for related troubleshooting.

And remember, if you have an issue accessing settings and need to shortcut to the system update screen, power the system up while holding L, R, A and Up on the d-pad.

Let's hope this resolves the problem that some of you may have been facing. Have you downloaded this update yet, have the issues been sorted out for you? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via nintendo.com]

Squashie

Squashie said:

I hadn't suffered from any of the issues, but I will update soonish anyway.

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

@Metal_Sonic I've used it for Legend of Zelda (NES 3DS VC), Metal Gear Solid: Snake Eater 3D (for keeping track of the in-game "collectibles") & Crimson Shroud (3DS eShop) notes. Also its really handy to be able to quickly write something down when I don't have a pad & pen nearby :)

& as for the update, I'll do it, but I didn't have any of those problems anyway.

Einherjar

Einherjar said:

@Metal_Sonic I also use it for many many games. To keep track of passwords, since the VC only has one "savestate", for little maps and riddles...for a bunch of stuff really :)

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

@Metal_Sonic Since I often have my 3DS out with me, sometimes I'll use it to jot down some quick things if needed; Easier than having to type it out in my phone notes, imo. :p

dizzy_boy

dizzy_boy said:

i like keeping my systems up to date. now where's the swapnote update that was due yesterday?

Marioman64

Marioman64 said:

@Metal_Sonic i use it to write down the hours i need to log at work and random things i'm reminded about. i never use it to actually take notes for games though

Gnoll

Gnoll said:

@metal_sonic
I used them in MGS: Snake Eater 3D to remember "secret" radio frequences, and also used them to write some quick "real life" note.

XFsWorld

XFsWorld said:

@Metal_Sonic I used it for Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D to note my Scarecrow Song [bad memory], and also to write the movies I plan to watch on Netflix on my 3DS

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

Game Notes is a good idea for using the app to copy down passwords and other stuff. But I usually don't use it as much as I'd like to. If I'm playing a 3DS VC game for example, I'll usually just create a Restore Point for when I come back to it later on or the next day. Something I think a lot of ppl who own a 3DS these days have something against.

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

@lkpleas26
So? He asked a question and people gave him a response. A single person does not represent everyone, so isn't it better to have multiple people answer? And "Metal_Sonic" should be where you placed "he."

@Metal_Sonic
I use them for Harvest Moon and any other game occasionally.

advance_melee

advance_melee said:

i haven't used game notes for actual game info but rather for normal everyday notes...like a small notepad

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

Now do an update to add more pages to the software library log. I'm almost on my last two pages! I know, I know. It's ridiculous.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

@Metal_Sonic I use it for Dead or Alive: Dimensions (to keep note of how many figurines I have left to collect) and to keep note of stock levels in New Style Boutique (don't judge me).

SirQuincealot

SirQuincealot said:

@Ralizah there at the top of your screen when your on the homescreen, to the left of your frineds list, there basically personal notes if you want to remember something specific from a video game

Morpheel

Morpheel said:

I have used the notes to keep passwords for games like metroid and stuff... Not much else.

Thats-what-shy

Thats-what-shy said:

Maybe this update will finally bring Miyamoto to my Mii Plaza. He never showed up for me last week... Jerk.

Dpullam

Dpullam said:

I didn't have any trouble getting the update last night but at least they fixed the issues quickly.

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

I never experienced any issues. On a separate note, did anybody else notice they completely removed the Nintendo Show 3D off of the eshop; old episodes and all? I know last week was the final episode, but why not leave them up for a while for others to view that might be new to the 3DS? What the heck happened? Did Jessie Cantrell piss Nintendo off that much or something that they spitefully removed the old episodes too?

Giygas_95

Giygas_95 said:

@KnightRider666 Huh, didn't know that. Nintendo hasn't had the greatest luck with weekly newsletters (not that Nintendo Show 3D was weekly). Nintendo Week was a mess in my opinion. It was so incredibly cheesy, but I guess it did its job when it wasn't making dangerously corny jokes. I'll look up Nintendo Show 3D to see what happened.

Edit: Couldn't find much on Nintendo Show 3D, but I found this piece of information about Nintendo Week. Reading it cracked me up. "The show had gathered a large fanbase. Mainly toward adult male Nintendo fans despite the show is targeted to younger audiences." Huh...wonder why THAT is.