Monolith Soft Enjoying Its Closer Relationship With Nintendo

Posted by Andy Green

Developers at the studio now working as a family

Monolith Soft, the developer behind Xenoblade Chronicles, has built a new studio in Kyoto, Japan so it can be closer to Nintendo. It is now in the process of developing a Wii U game that was briefly teased during a recent Nintendo Direct.

Speaking in an internal interview series, translated by Siliconera, the company revealed that many of its staffers had concerns about the idea of moving to Kyoto, but that all of these worries had now dissolved. It appears the developer is quite happy in its new home and says that meetings with Nintendo have increased drastically since the move.

Monolith Soft has been in Kyoto now for about a year, and Nintendo has been actively consulting on its work and has consistently provided feedback with ideas on how to make things better. The developer said it was amazed by Nintendo’s ability to work together as a team, and believes it’s a major asset to producing quality games. Seeing this teamwork has inspired Monolith Soft to bring the same culture to its own development practices.

Designer, Shoko Fukuchi, says that the developer now makes people feel included by doing things like asking programmers for ideas - something that did not happen in the past.

Monolith Soft says it now has a new outlook when developing games. The team at the studio are working closer together not only as co-workers, but as a family with the common goal of developing fantastic games.

Are you getting excited about Monolith Soft's upcoming games? Let us know in the comments section below.

[via siliconera.com, monolithsoft.co.jp]

Reala

Reala said:

I'm looking forward to their new game the way I used to look forward to the next Final Fantasy game.

shingi_70

shingi_70 said:

Shouldn't all of this have been happening anyway seeing as Nintendo owns the studio. I imagine that there would be video conferences almost everyday and sharing resources through something like Google Docs and Office 365.

Peach64

Peach64 said:

Genuinely excited for their next game. I imagine it's a long way off, but Nintendo's backing will allow them to take as long as they need to get it right. It would be nice to have a 3DS game from them too, but I'm not going to get my hopes up for that.

Lan

Lan said:

Cool. It's good to ask the little guys (the programmers) what they think as well. It raises morale

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

I am just starting to play Xenoblade, as my Wii could not handle it so I am using my Wii U now. I know I have like a 100 hours to go but I am very happy thinking what they could do with a more powerful system.

It is also good to hear they are happier now at their work, as that will make them pour even more love into their products.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Really glad to hear this. Monolith Soft is such a huge asset to Nintendo. It's good to know that, while other third-party JRPG's might not make it to Nintendo systems, we can at least count on some solid games from Monolith.

I'm looking forward to seeing what they create in the future.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Yes, the new game looks fab from what we've seen thus far. I wouldn't mind an HD retread of Xenoblade Chronicles as well. I've never put that much time into a single playthrough of a game so all due credit to their writing and design on that brilliant title!

TheXboxHero

TheXboxHero said:

I cant wait for ''X'' It looks like a combination of Xenoblade, Monster Hunter, and Transformers which makes it look so unique and fun! Definately want to see what its real name is!

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Great I'm looking forward to that new RPG that had planned for Wii U and hopefully they more titles planned after that too.

Chrno-x

Chrno-x said:

@ngamer155 It's not suprising, but X is more like more upgraded version of Xenoblade and Xenogears (one of the best jRPGs and Monolith made it). So I'm not gonna be schocked if there would be more connections to Xenogears not only about Dolls (that's the names of the mechs in X). i'm really curious if there's gonna be a 3 player co-op a'la Monster Hunter style with drop-in, drop-out connection. God can't wait to hear more about X and a new title from Monolith that's coming to 3DS :]

ivanmata

ivanmata said:

Nice!, great stuff after hearing all those bad news about the lack of third party support for the wii U. These are the third party developers we should really care about.

mookysam

mookysam said:

I'd love to see a new Baten Kaitos. :-D

On another note, why do so many people think they are a third party developer?

ArcanaXVI

ArcanaXVI said:

It's Monolith--of course I'm glad to hear all of this. Their next title is bound to be as great as their past ones.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@mookysam Well they used to be a third party developer until 2007...so, maybe they are 6 years behind the news?

triforcepower73

triforcepower73 said:

Cool that they're working together and sharing ideas like this. Reminds me of J.R.R Tolkien and C.S. Lewis.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I'll be watching w/ interest @ their newest projects, & taking a peek @ their older ones.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

Put more time into Xenoblade than any other game, over 96 hrs. Can't wait to see what they produce next.

The-Chosen-one

The-Chosen-one said:

i love Monolith soft, so nintendo did good by buying them, and for xenogears thats just great, i hope they put on of the characters in Smashbros.
Cant wait for E3.

Makkiez

Makkiez said:

i hope where going to see more of Monolith's New IP X on E3 looks awesome can't wait to play it :)

manic221

manic221 said:

Looking forward to this i missed Xenoblade Chronicles but i might pick it up at somepoint and i'm excited to try whatever they're currently working on is.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

I guess it depends on the context of the interview but I find it odd that this is news. There again, what do I know about how a big publisher manages its first party studios?

OGGamer

OGGamer said:

Monolith has a brilliant team and being closer to big brother nintendo (the good kind not the government eyeing your every move kind) will only help them refine their expertise . I look forward to spending another couple of hundred hours on one of their masterpieces .