SNES Classic SimCity Removed From Wii Virtual Console

Posted by Damien McFerran

Nintendo bowing to pressure from EA?

According to a post on NeoGAF, the Super Nintendo version of SimCity is no longer available on the North American Virtual Console.

No official line has been given for the removal, but we would imagine it has something to do with EA owning the SimCity license now.

This isn't the first time that software has been removed from the Virtual Console - recently, the Donkey Kong Country series was taken down.

Thanks to Ryan Millar for tipping us off.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

That's a shame. If i had known earlier i'd have bought it.It's quite the special version i hear.

TheChosen

TheChosen said:

That EA bit comes off less of a speculation and more of a pointless mud-slinging.

Bankai

Bankai said:

EA owned the license to Sim City before this game appeared on the Virtual Console in the first place. Furthermore, other games have been removed from the VC, including Nintendo's own properties, in recent months.

So no, that is not the reason.

antster1983

antster1983 said:

Lazy journalism. Sounds more like Nintendo re-licensed the SimCity name for the VC release but chose not to renew their license...

When EA bought Maxis back in 1997 they also bought the Sim world of games. The SimCity name is copyrighted to EA - and not Maxis - on the VC release (look at the bottom of the Health & Safety section of the Operations Guide)

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

Shame as its the only Sim City I've ever liked! Part of me wishes I downloaded it just for the fact of owning it again.

edhe

edhe said:

I think SimCity could have been my first Virtual Console game. It was either that or Mystical Ninja or Kirby's Adventure (only one of those games is one I'd have rushed out to download, given the chance - it's Mystical Ninja, by the way). It's an all time fave of mine.

It may have been one of my very first SNES games as well.

It stands up pretty well.

One thing's for sure - I'll enjoy it more than SimCity (2013) - were I to buy it. Which I won't because it's riddled with EA casual design and always-online DRM.

SetupDisk

SetupDisk said:

I own the cart and the VC version. Too bad I don't have any working SNES controllers. I played that more than any other version.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Kinda wanted to play that, but I can get it for PC, where it probably controls better, so no big.

Whopper744

Whopper744 said:

This was a fantastic old game. I really hate how they just remove stuff that's been there for years with no warning or anything.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

@Scarhino89 once you have purchased a VC game you are free to redownload it, even if it has been removed from the Shop. You just need to go through the 'Titles you've Downloaded' menu.

photofool83

photofool83 said:

Really!?!

First Donkey Kong Country, now this. I had been holding off buying this one, for no good reason, and now I can't. Same with DKC 2 & 3.

Okay, that's it. I am buying anything I remotely want on VC today.

Pj1

Pj1 said:

I Love this game! I'm pleased I got it when I did, in the UK I think it came within the launch period of the Wii back in 2006...

However at this rate there wont be any VC games left on the service!

Ryno

Ryno said:

I have some good memories of this one as a kid. There are plenty of cheap carts available out there at least if I ever want to revisit.

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Totally meant there, not their. Stupid phone won't let me edit or delete the post though.

MarioFan1985

MarioFan1985 said:

Well they said now that EA owns the rights to those "Sim" games. The article also said that the 3 Donkey Kong Country games have been removed as well, that's because Microsoft still owns the rights to Rare, that's why we don't see Killer Instinct or Perfect Dark for Virtual Console. Of course, I would still like to see some of my other favorite video games that aren't on Virtual Console. I don't know if that'll happen though.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

This was one of the first games I got off of the VC because its was one of my favorite SNES games. Glad I got it when I did and I feel bad for those who have never played it and now can't. I also have the cartridge as well so no worries for me.

Yosher

Yosher said:

Downloading it now from the European shop before it gets deleted here as well.

edhe

edhe said:

@Tasuki

RE: jobs, EA have done a pretty good job of putting people out of work with their aggressive takeovers and gutting of companies.

Bullfrog, Origin, Maxis, PopCap Games...

Anyway, like a few people said, to blame it on EA might be a bit hasty at this stage - there is no proof that EA has anything to do with this, other than the fact that they own the SimCity brand now. I think the "Nintendo bowing to pressure from EA?" tagline is pure conjecture.

Also, on the topic of SimCity, I must say SimCity 4 is my absolute favourite game in the franchise. I'm watching a let's play on it right now!

Angelic_Lapras_King

Angelic_Lapras_King said:

What angers me is I brought the Super Star Wars games yesterday for this reason. I thought since Disney now owns the franchise, they might not want those games on the VC and may remove them. But nope, EA do it instead.

I hope NOE at least give us a deadline before I make any rush purchases... -_-

KnightRider666

KnightRider666 said:

Let's not forget that the first TMNT NES game was also removed for the Wii VC a while ago! Even though I have a physical copy, being able to stop and pick up where you left off in that game is priceless. As for Sim City, I was never a fan. I just couldn't get into it. The closest thing to it that I liked was ActRaiser.

Dreamcaster-X

Dreamcaster-X said:

@MarioFan1985 Nintendo owns the rights to the Donkey Kong Country games lock, stock, & barrel, not RARE. I have a feeling that has something to do with an upcoming compilation re-release than anything.

millarrp

millarrp said:

I've been on the fence about getting this for a while, but guess I missed my chance..

Hokori

Hokori said:

Good thing I have it already, but I'm confused and might pick up Fzero for this same reason

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

NoA really should give warning. Maybe no warning has something to do, w/ the possibility that if they re-upload the game rom for WU, it profits them more, since doesn't WU, like 3DS eShop use actual money, as opposed to using money to purchase (spendable) points instead? I don't own a WU, so I may be in total error here.

Tony3DS

Tony3DS said:

I panicked and then realized I have purchased this game. Now if only we could get SimCity 64 localized to the US. Hopefully it will reappear for those who missed out, but I’d like to mention it’s cheap for the original cartridge. Also, check out Utopia for SNES if you like this.

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Only if they warn us a week ago...

¿Qué no puede avisar Nintendo cuando quite algo de la tienda?

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

I can understand if new Wii U owners, who hadn't owned a Wii are a little upset, but this has been on the VC for 6 years - how many copies do you think they will have sold in the last year?

spoonshiro

spoonshiro said:

Eh, I'll stick to Simcity 2000. The only Simcity you ever need. Still got my Special Edition CD!

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

Looks interesting & quite a lot like SimTown, a very nostalgic game for me, played it heaps on the library computer at school on lunch times. Its also got Mario & Bowser cameos? Sweet! I'mma buy it before it disappears :O

bluecat

bluecat said:

Well now might be a good time to buy any VC games that I've been putting off for years....you know...just in case.... :/

Funny enough I'm interested in this game now that I can't have it. Well I can get the original cart I guess if I really want it...

PixelRobin

PixelRobin said:

I just hate EA. Ubisoft should have their rights. I mean ITS NOT FAIR! EA IS HORRIBLE! DOWN WITH EA! THIS IS THEIR FAULT! THIS IS @?!$∞¥ THEIR FAULT!!!!!!!!!
Sips coffee
This is my opinion. I don't mean to be rude but i am sick and tired of this EA.

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

@bluerobin2 Maybe you should go join the old man from R/B/Y.:P

Never been a fan of SimCity, just could never get into. Maybe I just played the wrong version (SimCity 2000). I like that the SNES version has a Nintendo spin to it though.

FJOJR

FJOJR said:

Hope Nintendo gets around to shifting all VC & WiiWare games to the Wii U eshop so I can launch them from the Wii U menu instead of the annoying process of going to the Wii Menu. In fact do that for Wii games too.

The_Ink_Pit_Ox

The_Ink_Pit_Ox said:

The Virtual Console is becoming passé. It's not new anymore. Developers are losing interest as youngsters move on to the Wii U.

Ikriolu

Ikriolu said:

Now we know that the VC for Wii is going down the drain. Why would NOA, or any company for that matter, remove a good product like this? WARN US NEXT TIME, OK?!