Emergency Maintenance Scheduled for Nintendo Online Services on 28th January

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Games and online stores affected

It's emerged that Nintendo is planning wide-reaching "emergency maintenance" in both North America and Europe, which is likely to include other PAL territories. This maintenance is running simultaneously and in a few windows in both regions, with the greatest peak time impact being to the Wii U, Wii, 3DS and DS download stores on Monday afternoon/evening in North America, though due to time zones this is occurring at late hours in Europe.

Details of what services are down and when is below, and we've added the UK times (in brackets) to the U.S. pacific time details.

From Monday, January 28, 2013 11:00 PM - Tuesday, January 29, 2013 5:00 PM Pacific Time

(From (approx.) Tuesday, 29 January 2013 07:00 to Wednesday, 30 January 2013 01:00 UK time)

Affected Services:
Nintendo DS
Network Services
Pokémon Black Version
Pokémon White Version
Pokémon Black Version 2
Pokémon White Version 2

From Monday, January 28, 2013 5:00 PM - Monday, January 28, 2013 6:00 PM Pacific Time

(From (approx.) Tuesday, 29 January 2013 01:00 to Tuesday, 29 January 2013 02:00 UK time)

Affected Services:
Wii U
Match Making, Ranking, etc.
Warriors Orochi 3 Hyper

From Monday, January 28, 2013 12:00 PM - Monday, January 28, 2013 5:00 PM Pacific Time

(From (approx.) Monday, 28 January 2013 20:00 to Tuesday, 29 January 2013 01:00 UK time)

Affected Services:
Wii U
Nintendo eShop
Nintendo 3DS
Nintendo eShop
Wii
Wii Shopping Channel
Nintendo DS
Nintendo DSi Shop

As this is affecting older retail titles as well as the Wii and DSi Shops, we are doubtful that this maintenance is anything particularly exciting in terms of functionality. Whatever the reasons, we're sure that we can survive a few hours without eShop access.

[via gonintendo.com, nintendo.com, nintendo.co.jp]

Captain_Balko

Captain_Balko said:

"Whatever the reasons, we're sure that we can survive a few hours without eShop access."

I CAN'T! OH GOD, NO! NO! NOOOOOO!!!

HawkeyeWii

HawkeyeWii said:

This is a kind of dumb a article. It thought it was going to be about something very important, but it's not. But it is Nintendo Life's job to bring any news, so it makes sense I guess.

King_Boo

King_Boo said:

probably just need to sweep under the servers, probably dirty down there. Are maybe they are upgrading them.

TheLilK98

TheLilK98 said:

If it was a REAL emergency they would've done it immediately. But I swear, if I go to the shop on Tuesday and my account balance is zero, heads will roll.

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

Very considerate of Nintendo to give everyone a heads up before taking down the online services for maintenance. It's the little things like that that makes a company great. :)

OracleOfTruth

OracleOfTruth said:

Good to know. Since I have both Black/Black 2, I am curious as to what this maintenance will entail.

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

A couple of hours in Europe. But basically an entire day for 18 rated titles in the Wii U eShop. Another indication of why Nintendo needs to sort this out.

TruenoGT

TruenoGT said:

I'm leery of further removals from the Wii Shop Channel. I've already missed out on a couple titles I eventually wanted because they were removed without notice. Suppose it's not a bad idea to snag any remaining must haves before then...

fit6958Staff

fit6958 said:

maybe its an account system for the online services so everything is getting NNID nintendo network id.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If they're taking down sites on both sides I have to think there are some general network changes, otherwise I cannot see why everything would be going down at once.

Mk_II

Mk_II said:

educated guesstimate: they are using some third-part software for the online services that contains vulnerabilities but Nintendo hasnt been compromised yet.

Undead_terror

Undead_terror said:

Didn't the same thing happen a few months back, shouldn't be nothing too major but it would be nice to get those ID's

SilverLightning

SilverLightning said:

maybe everyting is being put on the nintendo network, or there mushing all the shops together, like if you put £10 on your 3ds eshop it will be avalible to use on your wii U eshop, or miiverse might be put on the 3DS, but the whole emergancy thing makes me thing its just a regular clean out of the servers

ShadJV

ShadJV said:

Emergency? They've done server maintenance before with this amount of notice, why are they calling it "emergency" server maintenance? Definitely catches my interest, though I doubt they'll tell us what the emergency is...

The_Fox

The_Fox said:

The emergency is probably just some security vulnerability that they need to fix, nothing more.

Raymen

Raymen said:

Maybe they will update the prices? I DUNNO. But that will be a boring day/days. UHHH! (jk)

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

I know it's a long shot, but personally I'd be pleased if the eShop's layout was improved. But I won't hold my breath, of course. :P I am curious about how the maintenance will be, though.

@123akis I would love an account system, yeah. Good call.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

It's always alarming when they use the word ''emergency'' (did someone hack in the service?!) but I guess it just means that it's not a routine operation.
Or this: @Swiket The Pikmin escaped.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If it was a security vulnerability I should hardly think would take everything down at once and in some days time hence. Rather I would think they'd do a gradual roll-out ASAP and simply state there may be performance issues. But the word "emergency" does have that ring about it, eh?

Shugo

Shugo said:

@123akis Oh God, I wish. It would be absolutely amazing to finally have an Xbox Live/PSN-esque account system that ties all my purchases together across all Nintendo consoles and lets me authenticate new consoles and redownload if my old ones explode.

But that's very very very unlikely. Unless they actually have all their services running through the same servers, then online gameplay wouldn't be listed as going down if they were implementing accounts.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

Isnt it obvious? They decided to put the classis Google trick: "Do a barrel roll" into the eShops.
On a realistic note, maybe pokemon is getting an event? This is obviously no emergency, or it would be right now (or even tomorrow).
My best guess is that Nintendo is dumb and just realized that 5 year olds can access mature videos. :3

tripunktoj

tripunktoj said:

I don't know if I should rush and buy everything I have been postergating from the Wii Shop Channel in case they are removing titles, or if I should wait and buy after the maintenance just in case this emergency implies my credit card info or Wii is at risk.

Rod64

Rod64 said:

@Slapshot
Maybe every 3DS connected to the internet will explode if they don't do this. o_O

The systems not connected to the internet are safe though.

StarDust4Ever

StarDust4Ever said:

Wii-U/Wii modes and Wii Shop Channel/eShop getting nicely merged together the way they are with 3DS/DSi/DS software?

Maybe perhaps the enhancements announced in the Nintendo Direct are coming sooner than expected?

If security had been compromised, they would have taken down the entire kit-and-kaboodle without warning, like Sony did with PSN network when the hackers brought it down for over a month.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

Damn, I checked the times again and it looks like I'll have to start my download of Ninja Gaiden at 1am Tuesday...ah well at least I have the day off and I'll be able to see if anything changed.

Although I'm sure some suggestions of a shop merger are possible I wonder if there will also be a fix for this silly 23:00 18-rated game watershed nonsense?

cornishlee

cornishlee said:

@Sean_Aaron
My condolences. I downloaded it last weekend and I'm enjoying it. It's kind of great to play again after all these years a game wich keeps beating you for legitimate reasons.

@dragon_rider
Age has got nothing to do with it. 18 rated games are only available for download after 11pmGMT in Europe. These few hours down effectively mean that those games are unavailable for a couple of days.

banacheck

banacheck said:

Usually you can still sign-in and play online etc when there doing maintenance, this makes me think there are changes coming or testing there security.

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

Yeah, this isn't a MEGATON announcement, but at least no-one can say they weren't warned ;)

I suspect this is to do with security or a system backup, or something equally boring. It incorporates the older platforms, which is why I made a point of not making a song and dance about what it could be!

It is weird that it's described as "emergency maintenance", despite the fact it's scheduled a few days after the message...

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

All the evil on the original DSiWare store has turned it into Skynet, and it is slowly taking over the other online services.

koolkris200

koolkris200 said:

hope it' s the nintendo network that' s probably coming out which would be nice or maybe they are going to use all dsiware games and turn them into 3dsware games that would be cool

bluecat

bluecat said:

I'm hoping for something Pokemon related but this is probably just some routine dusting and tightening of the locks so to speak.

BadKitty

BadKitty said:

Hide your information this is a scam!
they need a few hours to gather your info, but ah well what can you do they'll just give you free VC games later, so all is better.

retro_player_22

retro_player_22 said:

Well I have five games I'm enjoying offline on my home systems so those downtime maintenance doesn't affect. At least whenever I'm bored I could always go watch Netflix and YouTube until this mess is clear up.

Hokori

Hokori said:

I doubt it's BIG otherwise Japan would also have it... Unless its an import section in NA/EU eShops :o

trossy998

trossy998 said:

i havent gone through this but im so waiting on mii verse for the nintendo 3ds hurry up nintendo my brain is about to explode :P