Rumour: Yoshi's Land Coming To Wii U

Posted by Damien McFerran

Best Buy product page outs potential sequel

Yesterday, retailer Best Buy Canada leaked the existence of the Wii Mini - a smaller, cheaper (and arguably less useful) version of the Wii console which was officially confirmed by Nintendo hours later.

It would appear that Best Buy isn't done with letting cats out of bags, and has published a product page for Yoshi's Land - a forthcoming Wii U title.

The page lacks proper box art and there are no screens, but it does provide a description of the game - although judging from the rather vague nature of the text, it's unlikely that it has come from anyone at Nintendo:

Take Yoshi on an epic adventure to remember in Yoshi Land for Nintendo Wii U. Check out Yoshi as you've never seen him before: in glorious high definition. Enjoy dual-screen control thanks to the Wii U Touchscreen GamePad, while you'll also be able to experience full integration with Nintendo's MiiVerse service.

You may recall that a new Yoshi game was hinted at when Miiverse was "hacked" at the US Wii U launch.

Do you think there's any truth behind this product listing, or has someone at Best Buy put two and two together to make five?

[via eurogamer.net, bestbuy.ca]

BenAV

BenAV said:

I think someone at Best Buy probably just made it up.
Can always hope though.

fullyilly

fullyilly said:

Please Christ let 'in glorious high definition' mean a HD 2D follow up to Yoshi's Island. If it does, I will revoke my distaste for the WiiU and immediately buy one. The End.

Buzzthebatgirl

Buzzthebatgirl said:

Wasn't Yoshi Wii U one of the titles found in the "Oopie" of letting users into the moderator area of MiiVerse? Hope this is true, it will make my Yoshi clan even happier that usual :)

Kohaku

Kohaku said:

It's strange that a store would known it before its anounced bij Nintendo however Reggie promised us some surprises so I wouldn't be surprised.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Here's hoping that it is not being developed by Artoon, who were the developers for the less than memorable Yoshi's Island DS.

koopa_Trooper79

koopa_Trooper79 said:

Lets hope this one is alot longer as I remember playing Yoshi Island on the SNES and it only taking like 5 hrs!!!!
Would be great if they do it ala Mario 64 and make it a 3D adventure....fingers crossed.

Xilef

Xilef said:

Now this could just be Best Buy putting it up there because of the Miiverse "hack". I still really hope this is real though. Didn't Reggie mention something about they having a surprise game in the launch window? Maybe Nintendos obsession with fruit on Nintendo Direct is a hint? Am i just over analyzing things?

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

A new Yoshi game?
Well seeing as Yoshi's Island was the best Mario game ever (ironically), this is definitely something to hope for. :0

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

after the yoshi fruit cart mini game in nintendo land, this could be a sign that it will happen. i'd love to see a yoshi platform game- be it yoshi's island 3 or anything.

that would be great. :-D

KromCompany

KromCompany said:

If Yoshi Land came out on Wii U, I would find a way to get the money for the system and game. I am a true Yoshi fan, I use Yoshi in games whenever possible. That reminds me, I need to still get Super Mario 64 DS, Yoshi's Island DS and Yoshi's Topsy-Turvy(or something like that).

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

After Nintendo denied this, I'm going to take it with salt. But Nintendo also denied the 3DS XL too.

If a Yoshi game was made, I hope it's developed by Good Feel, because with beautiful games like Wario Land: Shake It! and Kirby's Epic Yarn under its belt, it would be the perfect team for the job, and they would take Yoshi's already artistic games to new heights.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Miiverse had a yoshi icon back in June as well as a DK icon
They also had an OOT and MK7 one (3DS once it combines, then again yoshi and DK could also be 3DS)

Fuzzy

Fuzzy said:

Would love to play this, as long as it's less Yoshi's story, and more Yoshi's Island.

Would probably play it either way though tbh.

Starzsixty9

Starzsixty9 said:

Last I checked Yoshi's island had a remake already for gba and also a sequel out for ds.. it was also an ambassador reward :p what we really need is a yoshi story esque title followup

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

@Buzzthebatgirl yeah thats what im saying! like wth the tittle for the article should be more like "rumor from the hack thing seems to be true" r w.e and so many hints why is this such a surprised? o_O

either way if this game does release im sure to get me a copy as the snes one was epic so cant wait to hear more of this :)

Ichiban

Ichiban said:

Make it as beautiul looking as Rayman Legends & im forever yours Nintendo!!

AmishThunder

AmishThunder said:

I heard it's going to be called Yo! Shizzes Island and that it's going to have a more "urban" feel.

AntiGuy

AntiGuy said:

Hope this is true! last year I played Yoshi's Island on my 3DS, later this year I got the "sequel" for DS, which I didn't like that much (the music was horrifying...) and now this? I just hope it's more like Yoshi Story without the fruit nabbing gimmick pls..

nocode

nocode said:

I hope it's true... but please....for the love of god... no more crying baby sound effect.

Moshugan

Moshugan said:

If it's real, I hope it's full 3D and developed by EAD1.
Gasp! A thought crossed my mind:
Maybe this is being developed by Retro Studios! :O

luminalace

luminalace said:

Could this mean that other games that showed up on debug menu that guy stumbled upon could also be coming to Wii U? I hope so!

WanderingPB

WanderingPB said:

I dont know if this rumor is true or not though it is suspicious that it was on the debug page in Miiverse but regardless im excited like a little kid on xmas eve! What would even be better is if the put the original snes "Yoshi's Island" and "Super mario world" on the eshop so i can my fix while waiting for the new Super mario universe and yoshi island U games!!!

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

Wasn't this on the list of games that one guy found when he accidentally hacked the Wii U?

@Tsuchiya
Did you already forget Miyamoto is working on one? :P

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

To be fair, retailers sometimes post genuine games...and sometimes they post bogus games

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

I don't know, Best Buy is always eager to have games up for pre-order before they even begin development, let alone announcement, recently I was offered to pre-order Super Smash Bros. 4 at my Best Buy and there's little to no info on that game.

Xiao_Pai

Xiao_Pai said:

It's Best Buy being, erm, Best Buy....I'm not going for it until Nintendo says it themselves.

zoroarkrules25

zoroarkrules25 said:

I believe this is true with the hacked mii story stating yoshi wii U. If only he had found super smash bros Wii U's title also before reporting his findings to the internet.

NintendoCat14

NintendoCat14 said:

I would LOVE for this to happen! There hasn't been a Yoshi platformer since 2006's Yoshi's lsand DS.

Emaan

Emaan said:

I want a new Yoshi game, like really bad. I hope this is true. I wouldn't count on it but I wouldn't completely cast out the idea either. Only time will tell. :o

Bane

Bane said:

Yes, This is true, it cant be a coincidence, if it is, imma shoot meself

EvisceratorX

EvisceratorX said:

Well, didn't Reggie just say something along the lines of that they have another thing or two up their sleeves for the launch window? This would certainly fit that...

zipmonStaff

zipmon said:

Woah - thought: what if that's what the fruit thing Iwata and Bill have been doing in the Nintendo Directs is leading up to?! :O :D

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

It seems unlikely that it would be true but I hope it is. A 2D, HD Yoshi platformer developed by Good-Feel would be beautiful but while that would be awesome I would actually like to see a 3D Yoshi platformer even more as there has never been a 3D Yoshi platformer and I would really like to see how Nintendo could bring the series into 3D.