The Best Damn Half Time Entertainment You'll Ever See

Posted by Damien McFerran

Ohio State University Marching Band plays Zelda, Mario, Tetris and more

The Ohio State University Marching Band is a pretty big deal. It's one of the largest groups of its type in the world, and is regularly referred to by admirers as "The Best Damn Band in the Land" (TBDBITL for short).

Famed for its stunningly complex half time performances, the band recently performed a video game-themed section at Ohio State's game against Nebraska. Titles such as Space Invaders, Halo and Pac-Man all featured, but it's abundantly clear that the band has a soft spot for the works of Nintendo, as Super Mario, Pokémon and Zelda are also showcased.

Check out the full performance below, and watch out for the galloping Epona from Zelda around the 6 minute mark - it's truly epic.

[via youtube.com]

KAHN

KAHN said:

"the best damn band in the land" is a fitting title. anyone who doesn't understand the formations needs to call me, give me their address, and tell me when a good time is to murder the---i mean, politely explain how much of an idiot they ar---i mean, tell them about the classic gaming icons.

DRLAdmin

DRL said:

Well, being from Michigan, I HATE Ohio State. Regardless, this is incredible.

SleepingNinjer

SleepingNinjer said:

That was overwhelming.... and the Zelda scene was almost like a dream from my childhood...

And most of those people have no idea what they were just able to witness....

Sgt_Ludby

Sgt_Ludby said:

Only those of us who have been or are in a marching band can truly appreciate that show. That was craaaaaazzzzzzzyyyyyyyyyyyy!!

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

I'd hate to be the hooves of the horse formation :O Imagine all that running :P

I do love how the crowd cheered the loudest for the Zelda portion. Ohio State has good taste :D

kyuubikid213

kyuubikid213 said:

AMAZING!!! This is seriously incredible. I nearly lost it at the Pokemon showing. The Zelda portion was jaw-dropping as well!

Stuffgamer1

Stuffgamer1 said:

I have a friend who's going there right now...she sent me a link to this video on Facebook earlier today. Awesome stuff, for sure. :D

@Star-Blaze: So long as people keep recording the half-time shows, you don't need to! ;)

@Sgt_Ludby: I won't deny that such experience might prove valuable, but I think it's a stretch to assert that NOBODY else could properly appreciate it. Anyone who's worked on a team performance effort that requires amazing precision can...and I'd almost argue that those who can't get a good job out of a small group should be even MORE impressed.

Bluewind098

Bluewind098 said:

That was one of the most amazing things I've ever seen. In fact I almost cried tears of joy which I almost never do. Kudos to Ohio State. If I wanted one thing to be included it would be Team Fortress 2 considering the soundtrack is brass based.

Sylverstone

Sylverstone said:

Dem formations. That was freaking amazing because I could tell what game music they were referring to, and they represented it well with great imagery from the formations.

Truly the best damn band in the land. :D

PuzzleMaster7

PuzzleMaster7 said:

Since I play a sousaphone in marching band, I know that this entire performance was a long, hard process that required a lot of teamwork and concentration. The music and the choreography was all in synch to create one of the best halftime shows I've ever seen. From watching this video, I can only hope that I'll become as good as the players in this video. Good job OSU marching band!

SirSmugleaf

SirSmugleaf said:

@KodyWB-98 Well I play saxophone in a band, and I find it hard to even stand up and play, let alone marching and memorising where to go next. So I know how difficult that must have been and how many hours that must have gone into that. Very talented band and very entertaining!

WingedSnagret

WingedSnagret said:

I actually live in Columbus, and normally I never give OSU a second glace. But this, this is just outstanding! For just this moment, I love the Buckeyes! I just can't believe I didn't hear about it until now. Still don't care for football though.

sainrub

sainrub said:

That was incredible. I would of ran through the field screaming I love ju mArio!!

koops330

koops330 said:

thats crazy. I was in band and I thought the shows we did were hard damm that show makes what we did look worse by a long shot.

Syntax

Syntax said:

The marching band just went to a whole new level (red mushroom power up sound)

DarkNinja9

DarkNinja9 said:

wow just wow... talk about epic the zelda ones O: this is how nintendo should celebrate the anniversary of the games... ='D

Silvervisiona

Silvervisiona said:

As someone who loves video game music almost more than games themselves, I couldn't help but cry tears of joy. The world needs this!

Xilef

Xilef said:

How can the know exactly were to walk and at the same time play? Very impressive! :O

Spoony_Tech

Spoony_Tech said:

They DID NOT just drop the Michigan flag!! I'm from Michigan and we are born with the Ohio State hate gene. However they was the most EPIC video of a half time show I've ever seen. I have new respect for them. Well at least their band! ;-)

photofool83

photofool83 said:

I'm happy to say, I don't live too far from OSU and this makes me feel quite proud of what Ohio has to offer. :) Go Buckeyes!!

Dbc

Dbc said:

waaauuuuuw...That was awesome. Nice job. wish i could see that live. ;-)

Sausimo

Sausimo said:

Excellent video, only gripe I have (which is nothing to blame on the band) is that out of all the cool retro homages, the guy in front of him takes a picture of the Halo logo. Not saying it didn't look great, but I guess that's the age we're living in...

Emaan

Emaan said:

Too awesome for words! I wonder if some people in the audience were confused as to what the music was from. Regardless, for video game fans, I can't speak for everyone, but I certainly got chills. The Mario and Zelda segments were amazing. Why aren't more marching bands these incredible? :D