Nintendo Download: 6th September 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Damien McFerran

Picture crosswords, crazy hunting and retro pugilistic action

Monday morning means an update on the downloadable delights that European Nintendo fans can expect this week. The long-awaited Picross E is likely to bring a smile to the faces of many, but there's content the DSi and Wii as well.

3DS eShop

Picross E (Jupiter, £4.50) — Nintendo's beloved Picross series has been doing the rounds since the SNES era, and this latest version promises to be one of the best yet. While we're sure that the vast majority of you will be downloading this regardless, our review will be live on the site as soon as possible.

DSiWare

Crazy Hunter (EnjoyUp Games, £4.50/500 DSi Points) — Crazy by name, crazy by nature, EnjoyUp's latest downloadable opus features crocodiles, hens and a worrying amount of candy. As always, our review will be posted as soon as humanly possible, so it might be wise to hold off making an impulsive purchase until then.

3DS Add-On Content

Theatrhythm: Final Fantasy — (Square Enix, £0.90/€1 each)

Songs available this week include:

• Dark City Treno (FF09 - FMS)
  • A Contest of Aeons (FF10 - BMS)
  • The Final Battle (FF09 - BMS)
  • The Extreme (FF08 - BMS)

Wii Virtual Console

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (D4 Enterprise, 900 Points) — SNK's popular Fatal Fury series continues with this retro offering. Intense 2D action with loads of different special moves and 19 characters to master, this game is another perfect illustration of why the Neo Geo was the fighting game fan's console of choice back in the day. You can check out our Real Bout Fatal Fury Special review just to be doubly sure.

So, will Picross E be taking your money this week, or do you fancy a little one-on-one fighting action? Let us know in the poll below.

What will you be downloading first this week? (164 votes)

PICROSS e (eShop)

59%

Crazy Hunter (DSiWare)

Real Bout Fatal Fury Special (Wii Virtual Console)

Nothing for me this week

35%

Please login to vote in this poll.

Related Games

Omega

Omega said:

It's quite good that they are still releasing WiiWare and Virtual Console games for the Wii.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@3dbrains
Nope. Nope nope nope.
Picross 3D was nowhere near as good as Picross DS.
The core game of Picross 3D was very flawed, the fact that not every column or row provided a figure to work from, or having only one figure to work with as opposed to knowing all the numbers in a row/column, well it lead to Picross 3D puzzles having a very linear solving fashion that didn't really tax the mind, so much as it made you simply look for the next thread to unravel.

Now Picross DS! Those puzzles actually needed you to utilise logic!

KaiserGX

KaiserGX said:

Is Europe playing NEO GEO catch up? Really glad though that they are filling in some VC gaps.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

"but there's content for? the DSi and Wii as well" - Slight error.
I'm definitely getting Picross E.
Shame theres no 3DS VC game - but the picross is enough for me this week. :3

WiiLovePeace

WiiLovePeace said:

I also can't wait to download Picross E but why can I still not vote for "I'm gonna download Theatrhythm DLC"?! :S

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

@RupeeClock

I agree Picross DS was better than Picross 3D but Picross 3D was a daily thing for me. I enjoyed the simplicity of it all and this kept me coming back for "just one more puzzle".
I expected a 3D picross, ie 3DS 3D. Not 3DS 2D.

I will wait for a sale before buying. @£2 I am sold.
You can have too much picross.

I recomend this genre to anyone who hasnt tried it yet. Great time killer.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

Picross is essentially that old pc game with mines right?

No. Not really but similar in a way I suppose. You're chipping away tiles on a grid to reveal a picture using the clues provided. If the clue was "7 - 7" on a 15 x 15 grid, that means there's a line of 7 consecutive tiles, a gap and then another line of 7 consecutive tiles. But if the clue was "3 - 3 - 2" then you don't know if there is a gap at the start or the end or how long the gap is.

OorWullie

OorWullie said:

Could never get into Picross when I got it for VC on Wii.Normally love puzzle games too but found this boring for some reason.It seems many would disagree though.

hydeks

hydeks said:

What the heck is a Picross? I think thats a game that basicly appeals to european gamers :P Been a Nintendo fan in NA since NES days, and I only heard of Mario Picross, and that didn't get much popularity :P

clavier141

clavier141 said:

I will get picross E eventually, but I'm saving my credit for petit computer first. I hope it only costs £7.20 or I'll need to put on more money, plus any more would be a rip-off in my opinion.

chiptoon

chiptoon said:

If I was stuck on a desert island and could only take one game it would be picross

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@sonik
I wonder if Megaman 6 can come to the Virtual Console service in Europe?

Megaman 6 never had an NES release in Europe!

Sneaker13

Sneaker13 said:

I will get Picross E for sure. I look forward to a good Picross game for the 3DS for ages. Can't wait.

Olaf-symbiote

Olaf-symbiote said:

@RupeeClock

There are plenty of import games on the Wii VC, and there's no rule of only releasing games that were originally released in a specific region. Otherwise I couldn't have played games like Final Fantasy 1,4, and 6, Startropics 2, and Super Mario RPG.

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Ouch. Bad week for you guys... See? America isn't the only one.

(Yes, I know Picross is out, but that's not really a major title IMO if it lacks the downloadable puzzles of the DS version)

stinssd

stinssd said:

Is this being released three days early? (Check the date--the articles says 6 September, not 3 September).

Furealz

Furealz said:

I've been gewd to you all year my 3DS. Just give me Picross on Thursday dammit!

Yosher

Yosher said:

Why isn't 'FF Song DLC' an option in the poll? Because that's what I'll be getting this week, both FF IX songs!

DarkEdi

DarkEdi said:

Are you crazy, guys? only 4% wants Real Bout Fatal Fury Special!! All you want excellent download games but when they come then you don´t buy it :(

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I tried the Picross demo via the DS trial download service on the Wii and was intriguing. So I'll download the 3DS version.

RetroGBHippie92

RetroGBHippie92 said:

I'm definitely downloading Picross E, assuming it isn't gonna cost more than $10 over here. 3DSware have been getting painfully expensive over here and i'm not gonna support the service if they're gonna overcharge us. US gets download games way cheaper than PAL regions, why should we have to pay extra?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

I'll wait for a review of Picross e before jumping in, I've never played a game in the series before so I want to know that it'll be worth my £4.50. :P

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

Here is some Picross E info for you guys
There are 150 puzzles total, 15 easy, 60 normal, 60 free mode, and 15 Extra.
The largest puzzle size is 15x15
Every 5th puzzle is a no-hint puzzle
There is no puzzle design mode, or a way to share puzzles.
There does not appear to support DLC for additional puzzles
Unlike Picross DS, puzzles do not have themed panels, and you are limited to a single tune for listening to whilst solving puzzles.

It is a very bare bones package but still a very solid and well designed one, well worth the £4.50 price point.
But this is a very humble package compared to Picross DS. I'm even surprised that there aren't multiple tunes, even Mario Picross offered that.

sillygostly

sillygostly said:

I was disappointed by the lack of content in Picross E. Sure, I played it for almost 2 hours straight after downloading it but I doubt that this will provide the 30+ hours of gameplay that I got out of Mario's Picross.

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

@Ducutzu
Then let's compare Picross E to Pushmo, which has a far larger selection of puzzles, a puzzle designer and a way to share them.

New Super Mario Bros. 2 is also a downloadable title now. "Being a downloadable title" isn't a justification for the absence of features like a puzzle designer or just a selection of tunes whilst playing the game.

Picross E is definitely worth £4.50 though.

ToxieDogg

ToxieDogg said:

It also costs £39.99 to download NSMB2 though, as opposed to £4.50 for Picross E. I fully agree that it's a bare bones package as opposed to other Picross games, but (as you make clear yourself) it's a little hard to complain too much given it only costs £4.50. Had they priced it at say £9.00 and was comparable to the likes of Dillons Rolling Western in terms of value for money, then I'd probably be more annoyed with it. As for Pullblox...well I know I'm in a tiny minority here, but I found it boring and overrated, it just hasn't held my interest like other puzzle games at all :(