Don't Expect A Game To Celebrate Mega Man's 25th Birthday

Posted by Damien McFerran

Capcom: "Please do keep expectations in check"

Mega Man's 25th anniversary is upon us, and Capcom is planning to celebrate the Blue Bomber's quarter century in style. However, before you get too excited, that doesn't mean a new game is on the way.

Here's what Capcom's Christian “Sven” Svensson had to say on the matter:

In December “some but not all” plans for the coming year of celebrations will be shared. There are many moving parts and not everything will be done and final come December. No one has promised a game or even an announcement of one at that time. Please do keep expectations in check.

Capcom has come under fire lately for treating Mega Man fans a little harshly; some believe that the company has turned its back on the character, with Mega Man Legends 3's cancellation resulting in an online petition to reverse the decision.

Do you think Capcom is playing its cards close to its chest? Could a new Mega Man title be in the works?

[via themmnetwork.com, gonintendo.com, capcom-unity.com]

Tsuchinoko

Tsuchinoko said:

I'd be fine simply with Megaman Legends 3 actually coming out. Day 1 purchase for me, for both the game and the E-shop title, and that's a promise Capcom.

chanchandesu

chanchandesu said:

Honestly, just giving that stop sign for MML3 was a big blow to fans worldwide. I'm not hoping for a game, but I'm hoping they celebrate the blue bombers quarter century with a blast. :D

RupeeClock

RupeeClock said:

If they would stop cancelling Mega Man games they would have something for his 25th birthday.

But many would argue that such a celebration is pointless now that Keiji Inafune has parted ways with Capcom.

Hokori

Hokori said:

Well even if they arnt I am, MM4 and 5 shall be bought by me on Thursday along with La Mulana

shonenjump86

shonenjump86 said:

Ah, this reminded me that Capcom is doing something for Street Fighter 25th Anniversary. I forgot all about that.

Jamouse

Jamouse said:

Don't worry Capcom, we've never had high expectations about any of your products.

ouroborous

ouroborous said:

Here's hoping for new MegaMan and the eventual resurrection of MML3. Come on, it seriously does have to happen and they should know it by now.

FluttershyGuy

FluttershyGuy said:

In other words, there'll be a tiny Mega Man 25th anniversary mention at their website. If we're lucky, it'll be a little banner at the top of the page. He's telling us to keep expectations in check because they're likely giving MM about as much fanfare as Metroid got for its 25th (in other words, none). Until I see proof, I din't believe Mega Man, in any form, is anything but dead to Capcom. I hope I'm proven wrong.

What it's become in general, I'm not sure I'd buy a Capcom game even if Street Fighter V came out.

hydeks

hydeks said:

I have nothing really to say, other than this: Crapcom Sucks -_-

Keep expectations in check? SCREW YOU! Make something for Mega Man fans, it's been 25 years, he's suppost to be your maskot, and you've lately basicly killed him off! Stop sucking capcom! For Mega Man's 25th, you BETTER have something worth a damn. Even a re-release of the Collections would be better than nothing :P

Zekrom025

Zekrom025 said:

A new game, oh please. I didn't even expect Capcom to acknowledge his anniversary, let alone give us a new game. That's way too much to expect from Capcom.

IAmNotWill

IAmNotWill said:

They don't have time for silly Mega Man games! They're focusing on making more Street Fighter!

Linkuini

Linkuini said:

Good thing I still have Mega Man anniversary collection on Gamecube. I don't really know how they could top that anyway, personally.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

They're focusing on making more Street Fighter!

No they're not. They're not touching Street Fighter for a while now. There are no new fighting games in development.

CapnPancakes

CapnPancakes said:

Between this and the blatant laziness in excluding online form MH3U, my hate for Capcom has been ignited again.

MrWalkieTalkie

MrWalkieTalkie said:

Cancelling Mega Man Universe, AND THEN cancelling Mega Man Legends 3 just leaves me with no trust whatsoever in Capcom.

Popyman

Popyman said:

Just give Mega Man to Inafune, Capcom. You don't give a crap about the Blue Bomber anyway.

rockman_zero

rockman_zero said:

All crapcom cares about is resident garbage 5 and games after and street fairies 4 and what ever after their fighters

TheDreamingHawk

TheDreamingHawk said:

Mega man legends III was a bad idea in the first place. It just didn't seem like Mega man.

Maybe a Mega Man movie or The mega man GB games being put on 3DS VC?

WaveWarlock

WaveWarlock said:

I couldn't care less about Street Fighter anymore, Lost Planet and Dead Rising are even worse. Just give me Mega man 11 and Power Stone 3 and I'll be happy baby. B-) If anything, i smell a Resident Evil: Down Fall sneak peak coming our way for the 3DS.

V8_Ninja

V8_Ninja said:

Fun fact: Capcom actually did announce a 25th Anniversary game for Mega Man. Fun fact: That game is an IOS RPG. Take that as you will.

Emaan

Emaan said:

Really wish Capcom would give the Mega Man fans what they deserve. I've never played any of them, but I'd love to play a 25th anniversary collection if that happened.

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

It's Mega Man, Capcom. Not some no-name franchise. You can do a game for the 25th anniversary, and guess what? It'll sell. So stupid.

seronja

seronja said:

sometimes i hate to be a mega man fan... can't they just relese a compilation disk of mega man 1-10 or all mega man x games, with all that HD upgrade and 60 frames? i would buy that!

Knux

Knux said:

Don't worry Capcom, because I have no expectations that anything good will come from you anymore.

Lunapplebloom

Lunapplebloom said:

I have stopped trying to figure out Capcom these days. It almost seems like none of their business decisions make any sense. Sure they sometimes have fantastic original games, such as Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective, but they are few and far between. And with the cancellation of all the Mega Man games that were in development over a year ago, it seems that they have lost interest in him. At least they acknowledge that it is his birthday coming up. But until they change their tune with Mega Man, it seems that he will be a lost relic. At least Archie Comics is making a Mega Man/Sonic the Hedgehog crossover for his 25th.

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

F U, Capcom on this... F U. You've all but obliterated one of my most beloved franchises.

Tasuki

Tasuki said:

I would just be happy with the rest of the games coming out on the 3DS and Wii/Wii U VC.

Sakura_Moonlight2421

Sakura_Moonlight2421 said:

Whatever you sniveling excuse of a game company. Which reminds me I should just sell my marvel vs crapcom crossover. sigh I really was looking forward to MML3.

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

Was anyone really expecting them to release a new game to celebrate anniversary for a game series they no longer care about?

Megajack

Megajack said:

Way to go Crapcom. -__- JK

I actually do think they are pulling our legs and there is a new Megaman game that will come. Not in December but I think maybe next December or hopefully sooner. :D My guess is it will be a new anniversery collection or Maybe just megaman 11. :D

Megajack

Megajack said:

But I'm still celebrating his birthday. Megaman is my favorite character ever. I love his fun-loving but can be serious personality. :D I'm going to as much as I can like have a Megaman cake and beat the whole NES series that day. :D And maybe where my Megaman towel on my back like a super hero. XD JK

Zombie_Barioth

Zombie_Barioth said:

"Please do keep expectations in check."

Really now? How dare we expect a decent tribute to Megaman, I mean its only one of Capcom's biggest franchises that basically put them on the map as one of the industry's biggest and best companies.

Megaman is another one of those series I never really got into but really need to give a try. I've played Battle Network Transmission and liked it but the disk occasionally stops playing which makes me afraid to play it knowing it could quite at anytime.

RantingThespian

RantingThespian said:

I swear, Dr. Wily has taken over Capcom.

The only thing we will have is a webpage with Megaman in a noose.

Neram

Neram said:

I'm not getting my hopes up for anything, I'm so disappointed in Capcom lately.

UgliestSoup

UgliestSoup said:

Whats that? Oh one second lets release another half ass version of Street Fighter IV real quick and forget about Megaman.

MagicEmperor

MagicEmperor said:

Even Dr. Wily got cut from the Wreck-It Ralph group counseling scene. No country for Mega Men.

Dreadjaws

Dreadjaws said:

I stopped having hopes for Capcom a long time ago. They're not the same company they were a few years ago, much less the same they were a decade ago.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

The most Capcom could do would be to release old Megaman games in HD, like they do now. An easy, lazy buck.

gundam00

gundam00 said:

Ah Helllllll No!! "Don't expect anything from us.. Keep your expectations in check" ?????!!!!! So expecting a video game giant to celebrate their pioneer franchise is expecting too much??? I am completely insulted! Mega Man is my favorite video game series. Even though, I honestly WASN'T expecting anything, for them to release a statement like this is disgusting and unprofessional! They were better off not releasing a statement. Basically, Capcom told us to F off.

Gamer83

Gamer83 said:

Can't say I ever cared too much for the franchise but I really do feel bad for the Mega Man fans out there. The treatment they've received from Capcom is absolutely pathetic.

Nekketsu3D

Nekketsu3D said:

I hope I and II Megaman NES in Eshop, I'm not interested in a new megaman of dead-capcom actual.

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

I find it rather ironic that this guy's quote claims nothing new was ever promised or even announced, yet Capcom was dumb enough to take a crap on MegaMan Universe (yes, and Legends 3 as well, despite I've never had much interest in the Legends series) and months after announcing a similar "create your own MegaMan" social concept called (RockMan) MegaMan XOver (unless it's merely a demo, I'm really not sure), except that its release is expected this Fall on iOS for iphone/ipad owners. I mean really, what planet is this "Christian Svensson" from that he doesn't know about such a craptastic anniversary release??

Mariomast3r

Mariomast3r said:

i think putting the mega man anniversary collection on the same disc as the mega man x collection would rock!!!! they could add an arcade perfect port of power battles also and slap the 25th anniversary label on it and i'd pay $60 ^_^