Letter Box Update Adds Coloured Ink

Posted by James Newton

At last

Popular message-swapper Nintendo Letter Box got an update today that lets you write and draw with coloured ink.

European 3DS owners can simply scan the QR code below to go straight to the update, which adds five coloured inks to the free application: red, blue, green, purple and orange. Black remains an option too.

To scan the QR code below:

• Hold L or R on the 3DS Home Menu to bring up the camera.
  • Tap the chequerboard option — this opens up the QR reader.
  • Align the frame with the QR code and it will offer you a link.
  • Press A.

North American users can simply visit the eShop to be prompted to update.

To select the new colours tap left or right on the D-Pad. Note that you can only use one coloured ink per letter, so you can't draw multi-coloured masterpieces.

This update is now available around the world.

Kifa

Kifa said:

Finally! All those phallic shapes are now going to be rainbow-full! ;)
EDIT: Oh wait, they won't... :P

Kirk

Kirk said:

Poor yellow gets left out :(

Cool that there's now colors though :)

C-Olimar

C-Olimar said:

Wow that's pretty cool but I wish they weren't so intent on limitng it... the 3DS can handle more than 8 colours on screen at once y'know...

grumblegrumble

grumblegrumble said:

No luck. I just tried scanning this with my North American 3DS (Swapnote) inside the e-shop and it says Error Code: 007-3101 "This software is not currently available." Hrmph.

Flowerlark

Flowerlark said:

I wonder if NA will get this at noon? I really hope so. Been wanting this for a while.
Now when can we get different coloured folders for our home menu? THAT would be just as awesome.

matgr

matgr said:

guys scanning only works EU UK & Australia. please wait QR code for North American version it's coming very soon. :D

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

This update is for Europe only at the moment.

I am very pleased with this addition as I use this app a LOT.
I be pimpin and any way to make mah girls look pretty is fiiiine wit meeeh!
An update to get it to read faster from the SD card would be nice, but oh well.
Ps. I aint no pimp!

shinesprite

shinesprite said:

Didn't work for me either, but perhaps that's because the eShop hasn't updated for the day yet. ;)

XCWarrior

XCWarrior said:

US only right now? Poo. I'm sure we'll get it by the end of the day though. Still love using swapnote, so happy this update came out!

Shworange

Shworange said:

What? No yellow? I'm outraged!!! Just kidding. This is a very welcome addition. I use swapnote a ton so this is great. Hopefully with the next update we'll be able to use more than one color in a message though.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Sweet update!

Is there anything else included in the update? Maybe allowing you to reply to your own notes for a conversation, or increasing the ink limit slightly? Both would be helpful additions.

What happens if you send out a color note to friends who haven't updated?

Nibelilt

Nibelilt said:

Cool! Too bad I draw with Colors now, but this might be a bit simpler to doodle with anyway. Great news! :D

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

Great! I'm glad you guy's are getting free colors & mario & sonic app free but when do both of these come to North America?

Thank you! :)

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I have been playing with my newly updated nintendo letterbox(swapnote) and I have to announce I am completely confused.
The update did NOTHING!
I can still only use BLACK ink.
No colour options to be found.

I also would like to know what happens when you send a colour note to a black only owner.

WHY CAN'T I USE COLOURS?

James

James said:

@3dbrains You might need to send/receive or close your 3DS and wait for the app to update. At first I had no colours, then my app found new letters via SpotPass and then colours worked. Bit of patience will get your colours, no need to shout about it :)

bahooney

bahooney said:

reads headline, butt twitches in excitement
"Note that you can only use one coloured ink per letter, so you can't draw multi-coloured masterpieces."
stops caring.

ejamer

ejamer said:

Wow, I totally missed that note because it was posted under the QR code. Pretty big caveat, and one that makes the update much less interesting. Oh well.

@Alienfish
No kidding? I'll have to try that.

Retro_on_theGo

Retro_on_theGo said:

>:[
Why would you even wait to release this between territories? We should all get this update. Oh well, not like I'll use it, lol. Great for you guys.

TeeJay

TeeJay said:

Wow, I didn't have to wait at all for NA to get it, as I only just now found out about this. ;)

LittleIrves

LittleIrves said:

Cool. Now give us the ability to organize notes and users better, and I'll be a happy swapnoter. Note-swapper?

Sherman

Sherman said:

I'd rather have the left and right pad to change between pencil and eraser, for real.

Tsukun

Tsukun said:

I was excited at first, but being able to use only one color per note doesn't really change much at all, unfortunately. <.<

Drewroxsox

Drewroxsox said:

The scanner worked for me, and I live in NA. It sucks that you can't use multiple colors on the same note. This update is useless because of it lacking that feature.

x-mas_mii

x-mas_mii said:

I loaded this page up this morning before work and now when I logged in, its for the world.

Phle

Phle said:

Yess! I love this! If only I had someone to send letters too...

1takauchiha

1takauchiha said:

I take back the bad things I've said about Nintendo, they really have been listening to us! 8D

Hokori

Hokori said:

I believe nintendo listens to us, it just we won't get it right away because they have to actually work on it

Barbiegurl777

Barbiegurl777 said:

@James,

Okay & thank you! BTW the e-shop had an update for swapnote today at 12 noon we got color's now on it sooo cool. :D

@3dbrains,

If you did the update go into: swapnote/letterbox & hit left or right or the d-pad & you can see the different color's when you write that's what I did had alot of fun drawing in orange on swapnote! :D

Happy Gaming! (^_^)

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

DAD GIVE ME MY 3DS I'M GETTING MAD NOW, I DON'T DO THIS BUT I NEED IT I'VE MISSED OUT ON SO MUCH T_T

CrimsonLoftwing

CrimsonLoftwing said:

I updated this app on my Nintendo 3DS today, but I have yet to try out its new features. It seems very interesting, though!

DaveGX

DaveGX said:

Updating now. I hope in the future we'll get the option to use multiple colors, not to replace Colors 3D or anything, though.

Nintenbro

Nintenbro said:

If it's inaccessible to NA, why does this article state, "This update is now available around the world"?

@Alienfish, I wish Nintendo would change the style of the ink distribution in an update as well. I pride myself upon neat handwriting, so my messages always end up being much shorter than anyone else I know on Swapnote. The ink should only be applied as the stylus is moving, and not when it's idle. The current style of ink distribution causes writing neatly in cursive to be inadequate, because the stylus almost never leaves the touchscreen. It's almost as if Nintendo is encouraging sloppy handwriting. :D lol

James

James said:

@Nintenbro It's not inaccessible, it's available worldwide, as the article states. I think the QR code is EU only, though.

Marakuto

Marakuto said:

I finally got it back, first thing is to update it since I haven't played my 3DS since April 21st.

Gretski

Gretski said:

I have been waiting for this update! Yay color! Oh and guys THE CODE WORKS IN NORTH AMERICA