Amazon UK Lists Wii U at £199.99

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Preorder today! Maybe...

We've been aware of retailers making speculative Wii U listings, and the latest appears to be from amazon.co.uk. Amazingly, the listing gives a price of £199.99 ($310 USD), is specifically for the black model, and says that it'll be available on 14th July.

Elsewhere on the site Amazon lists the white console with no price or launch date, so everything suggests that this is some kind of fake or error on Amazon's part. Although it's called Wii U console, the platform is listed as Nintendo Wii.

Is this genuine, an elaborate fake or a mistake by Amazon? We'd suggest the latter, but check out the link below if you want to see for yourself. We do advise caution, however, and suggest that it looks too good to be true.

[via amazon.co.uk]

Lalivero

Lalivero said:

I was expecting around $350ish, so not too far off.

Can't believe it just yet anyways because of no real confirmation, but wouldn't be surprised if it was around there.

Azooooz

Azooooz said:

I don't believe it until it's from Nintendo. If it is, It is way too unbalanced.

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Just order it then sue Amazon when they dont give us Black Wii U's on the 14th. Thats how society works now right?

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

As I said in the article, pre-order at your own risk. I can't emphasize that enough. It's bizarre enough to warrant a WTF post, though.

bubby444

bubby444 said:

i agree with Azooooz i don't believe the rumours i only believe nintendo.However the price sounds about right to me.

Mikazi

Mikazi said:

It's being sold directly by Amazon.co.uk, how can it be an elaborate fake?

RaylaxStaff

Raylax said:

It can't be a fake since it's listed by Amazon themselves (not a third-party merchant), unless Amazon have gone randomly evil over the last fortnight. Most likely an admin cock-up. Oops.

DamoAdmin

Damo said:

Before we all start crying 'fake' it's worth remembering that Amazon will already be aware of the Wii U's price point, as the company will have already placed stock orders and will therefore be aware of its trade value. Having said that, I'd still say it's out by around £50, but what do I know? If Nintendo did launch this at £200, it would clean up.

bubby444

bubby444 said:

im not saying the price is not right.but Amazon also says its coming out next month.there has to be a mistake.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

Well, I pre-ordered it. Its only the black wii u as well. That might not even be at launch in winter. The main error, is 14th July release date, lol. The correct price is going to be 250 pounds (max) surely?

KingMike

KingMike said:

Things didn't work out too well for the last console to pull a surprise launch. :D
(the Saturn "it's actually out now" E3 speech)

BudrSbastig

BudrSbastig said:

They have a pre order price promise..... you will pay no more than what you ordered at, even if there price rises. So pre order now and you will get it for that price!!

MeloMan

MeloMan said:

Ahhhh Amazon and your jumping to conclusions on pricing and stuff... you so crazy! :p

rjejr

rjejr said:

Just an FYI Amazon US has the standard "sign up to be notified.." so I did. I'll report here first when I hear something ;-) Also listing a few games at $59.99 or $99.99 w/ a 12/31/2012 or 2013 release date. Avengers is only $49.99.

As for the price, well that's what I've been saying for the past 12 months - though US $299 or $349, no way it comes out at anything else. Of course Nintendo - and every other international business - hates Europe so you guys will likely be paying a lot more, sorry.

July 14? I'm thinking no. Though my birthday is the 20th, and I want black, so I'm ok w/ it 8-)

ChristopherM

ChristopherM said:

@Knuckles

You won't hear a price from Nintendo. Nintendo never sets a retail price for Europe. It sets a wholesale price and leaves retailers to set their own retail prices. It's been that way ever since Nintendo was fined by the EU for price fixing.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

if nintendo has given amazon permission to set whatever price they want for the wii U, then i suppose this looks genuine.

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

So it's July for Europe and "holiday 2012" for the States. OK. Europe can be the guinea pigs. The lab rats. OK, I'm jealous. I admit it. :)

ChristopherM

ChristopherM said:

American readers should note that any price advertised on Amazon UK will include the UK's 20% purchase tax. You should adjust Thomas's currency conversion for your own local taxes.

Henmii

Henmii said:

It's always fun that company's know exactly how much the device and games will cost, while Nintendo didn't say a thing! And of course It won't be out in July!!

rjejr

rjejr said:

I'm not a business major, but was wondering if this - ASIN: B008B5YB4W - gives the story any more credence? The US one seems similar - ASIN: B0050SVHZO. Though for all I know every Amazon ASIN could look similar.

Best Buy has white and black but no dates w/ a bunch of games to pre-order including Just Dance 4 which I didn't even know was coming out on the Wii U.

Gamestop has 21 games listed - $99.99 due Dec 31, 2012 - but no console.

I'm sticking w/ either Nov. 11 or 18 from the earlier rumor as a launch date. July 14 would mean these things are already in boxes somewhere and their picture would be on Twitter.

Stolen from some guy on Gamesradar:
The Xbox launched November 15, 2001.
The Xbox 360 launched November 22, 2005.
The Playstation 3 launched November 17 2006.
The GameCube launched November 18, 2001.
The Wii launched November 19, 2006.

Zergling

Zergling said:

Pikmin 3 along with other Wii u games are listed at $99.00 on amazon in NA for pre-order. I doubt that is correct or this system will be the biggest flop since the virtual boy.

corinb

corinb said:

lol lol @ zergling this got to be fake!!! but i currently have xbox 360 and ps3 but i really love what nintendo is bringing to the table i cant wait to it come out

Philbear82

Philbear82 said:

Just been on amazon.uk and its already number 1 in the best sellers and hot future releases charts!

Must be a mistake somewhere as I can't see it being released on the 14th of July, and there are no wii u games listed on on amazon

Marios-love-child

Marios-love-child said:

@corinb

It worked for me just over an hour ago, I've even recieved a confirmation email from Amazon confirming my order.

Just have to wait and see what happens, the release date is clearly a mistake but surely they will have to honour the price when it does get released

SonyFACE

SonyFACE said:

I just clicked the link again, but the price was no longer displayed on the page.

rjejr

rjejr said:

Fun while it lasted but it's gone now, just the standard "Sign up to be notified...".
Oh, BTW, further down the page under "Product Details" it still says:
Release Date: 14 July 2012
So whoever is working at Amazon UK and reading the interwebs - get it together.

So, how long before the "sorry but...' emails go out?

LavaTwilight

LavaTwilight said:

I tried just now and the link for the black console directs you to the same page as the white one so it definitely appears to be an error.

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

If Nintendo launches ar £199 = 2 million consoles sold at launch
If Nintendo launches at £249 = 1 million consoles sold at launch

2 million users buy 2x the games that 1 million users buy = more profit = more developers support = more exposure = more people want to buy the Wii U =more sales = more profit etc.
It's called a 'Loss Leader' in order to make more profit - damn good idea!

cfgk24

cfgk24 said:

Lol - I can see someone at Amazon getting a bollocking form their boss!

Zaphod_Beeblebrox

Zaphod_Beeblebrox said:

"Sign up to be notified when this item becomes available"

The party is over. I wonder if the people who pre-ordered will really get their orders (when the console is actually released, of course).

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

the components for the Wii U cost only 180USD so $300 isn't a stretch. I think Nintendo will probably sell the Wii U for $249 basic and a bundled package with the with the gamepad and game for atleast $300.

Ernest_The_Crab

Ernest_The_Crab said:

It was quite obviously fake. As people pointed out, the release date was wrong. The black Wii U was also a tip off since Nintendo had already said it would come out later, after launch.

I don't think it was a mistake so much as someone was trying to mess with people whom wanted more information on the console.

HaNks

HaNks said:

it's been taken down now but i pre-ordered one earlier, as did a few friends. obviously the date and possibly colour was wrong. but pre-order price promise states they have to stick to the lowest price offered up to launch, unless they cancel all the orders. in this case that'll annoy a hell of a lot of people. from reading around it's not very likely, but there is a chance people will get a great deal...some big pre-order misprices have been honoured by them in the past. it wasn't random either, the incorrect info came directly from amazon's suppliers.

i hope it won't be launching for much more than £199 regardless. but given the numbers that seems a very aggressive price point with hardly any profit involved (20% is VAT). anything close to £300 and i can see a flop on these shores. £199 and people were snapping the orders up like crazy today. i'm not sure the $180 manufacturing cost is reliable or confirmed either, i'm hearing the base cost could be a little more than that. lets see how it plays out :)

Dashtag

Dashtag said:

I think an administrator was confused, heard about the Wii U, heard from one of his friends a rumor about the release date and cost, then posted that on Amazon.

Just a mixup.

brucelebnd

brucelebnd said:

@hank, $180 is what was reported on this site. if you dig a bit you can find it.

@xeno, most companies take a loss and the hardware but granted nintendo didn't with the wii, in fact the wii only cost around $100 to make. Sony lost $307 for every PS3 sold at launch. Sony didn't turn a profit on the ps3 until 2010, almost 4 years after launch. you're probably right Nintendo probably won't go as low as $249 without the gamepad but Nintendo doesn't need to make a huge profit off the hardware, even if they break even they'll be ok.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

I actually ordered Wii Party from them as a pre-order for 25 aquid. Mysteriously my pre-order was cancelled 3 weeks before launch. I went back on amazon and it was on for 35 quid. They may have forgotten that it cam weith a remote? Anyway, I complained and they gave me 10 pounds off my next order with an apology. So price promise isn't always cur and dry with these lot.

eviLaTtenDant

eviLaTtenDant said:

This would be a good price for the console from what we know so far.
If i lived in the UK i'd also have preordered it. Never hurts to preorder at amazon since you should always be able to cancel it before they send it out.
Registered for getting an e-mail once it's available now. Thanks for the idea, @rjejr(#21).

cammy

cammy said:

I thought Amazon set a speculative price on such pre-order things and if the actual price is less, they'll adjust it down. I do remember seeing a gaurentee on one item I pre-ordered in the past that if the actual item was higher, they would only charge me the pre-order price.

So £199 converts to about ~€246 currently. I think that might be a bit rich for my tastes until I know it's really worth it.

Chris77

Chris77 said:

I wondered if this was some kind of experiment to establish the final retail price. Zavvi and Shopto listed it at about £280 so they could be gathering stats on pre orders at certain price points. I think Nintendo have concern that they said with the Wii price they felt it sold so well they'd priced too low, but with the 3DS they obviously got it too high. They could compare 3DS preorders to those who followed through with actual purchase to get realistic sales prediction figures at certain prices.

As to whether Amazon made a mistake, it does happen, but I seriously doubt it was a blunder. If it was then they'd have priced the black and the white one the same (like Shopto). also the release date was put at a date that no one believed. If it had been put at a date in the final quarter then I think that would have given a bit of the game away to the competition exactly when it will launch. finally by placing it on the black one only, where speculation is that it may not launch at release, amazon can pull the plug and say to anyone who pre-ordered that their supplier now got it wrong and the unit is unavailable therefore they don't honour the low price. If they'd done this to the white one - which is confirmed as a launch colour then they would get a lot of people calling their bluff on it.

I actually think the black one will launch (supply permitting). Looking at the nintendo japan site after E3 there was a lot of info and pics of both colours. Possible it would be Japan only I suppose. At any price i don't see any way they launch without the gamepad, it's the major USP, so not including one would be suicide.

I'd think the most true part of it was the 14th, And as UK releases are a Friday, I'd say either September 14th, or December 14th. Of course if Amazon was actually right, then i look forward to getting one on July 14th!