Wii U Designed to Do The Impossible

Posted by James Newton

Nintendoes what Nintendidn't

While Nintendo may have struggled to explain adequately the Wii U's unique charms at E3, the machine was created with one principle in mind: to do what Wii can't.

Nintendo president Satoru Iwata told investors that while being an improved Wii — it does full HD output for a start — it's designed to be a brand new experience, saying:

We have designed and developed the Nintendo 3DS and the Wii U so that each of them is able to realize what has been impossible with the existing systems, and we believe that these systems will be able to offer consumers unprecedented experiences, in addition to providing them with improvements from the Nintendo DS and the Wii.

A 6.2" touch screen in a motion-sensing controller should take care of that nicely.

[via nintendo.co.jp]

Mikau94

Mikau94 said:

FULL HD!!!! Sorry about that, but I've been waiting for 5 years for an HD Nintendo Console.

Yrreiht

Yrreiht said:

Heh, if it's impossible, it's not Nintendo xD
I'm getting really exited for the Wii U now :)

EvilLucario

EvilLucario said:

@Alienfish Final Fantasy victory theme, commence!

Anyway, Nintendo will deliver. I hope, because I was worried about Nintendo's fate, but now they're on the right track. Hit it out of the park, Ninty!

DogNut327

DogNut327 said:

Will it divide by zero? If not then Nintendoomed.

And because this is the internet, this is sarcasm.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

Nintendo 3DS and Wii U is the better versions of Nintendo DS and Wii. but still, all 4 consoles are boss in my book. I have Wii, DS, and 3DS, and i'm still waiting for Wii U. BOSS!

grimbldoo

grimbldoo said:

Just imagine how amazing Mario and Zelda will look in 1080p, they were already quite good in 480p.

Prof_Clayton

Prof_Clayton said:

I'd love an animal crossing U where you could have your pockets open on the screen all the time, instead of opening them every 2 seconds. If they do this, I'll be sastified.

rjejr

rjejr said:

James, what's with all the endings cut off of titles today? I know this one was supposed to say: Wii U Designed to Do The Impossible ON THE WII. Isn't there enough WiiU hype on this website as it is, do you have to keep putting meaning to peoples words that they never intended? sheesh

What Wii didn't do that WiiU should -
HD (obviously), 3D (maybe), digital audio out, NIC, robust online (greater multiplayer, better DL games and demos), significant internal storage, rechargeable batteries. If they do that the rest should follow.
Super Mario Galaxy looks better than some PS3 games, I can't wait to see what they can do w/ a proper HD system.

NintyMan

NintyMan said:

The NFC is definitely a step-up from the Wii, and it'll be interesting to see how such technology works at this year's E3. That panoramic view that a video showed a while ago only shows one mechanic the Wii U can do. The touch screen itself has the potential to shake things up with the gameplay, so that's something to learn more about too. It's going to be an exciting new console.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

I fear that any new gameplay mechanic introduced, such as the panoramic view, & the controller's touch input will get put to waste by devs. Shovelware is on any, & all consoles. Don't be taken aback when the WiiU gets it's unfortunate share of junk games. B/c so will the other systems. Also, Nintendo has in it's corner, that they haven't yet announced their machine's ability, or purposely lacking ability, to play used games. I hope the WU(short for WiiU, of course) can play used games. I like to buy my games new, but some titles I don't know about, til the only way I can get them is used.

Btw, I hope the next article has somewhere in it: I love the WiiU. It's so bad! :)

mamp

mamp said:

Thank God the Wii U does traditional controls at least more traditional than Wii.

19Robb92

19Robb92 said:

That's exactly what I want. So that's great. Gimmicks or not, I'm happy that Nintendo systems differentiate themselves from the other two.

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

I have to say, I still don't see the appeal of the Wii U. I'm open to the idea of it being great but at the minute I just don't see it. Saying that the Wii U is designed to do what is impossible for current systems seems like a misnomer to me. HD graphics, touch screens, and motion controls have all been done. Sure the Wii U is perhaps the first system to bring these technologies together on one platform but Nintendo will have to demonstrate what exactly this means for gameplay. I seem to be ending my comments alot recently with this statement, but E3 this year is going to be crucial.

BJQ1972

BJQ1972 said:

@rjejr I think they have already said it won't have a digital audio out - the HDMI will output multi channel PCM instead.

Jono97

Jono97 said:

Still wondering how much this would cost. I'd thought they would settle down on around $400. But, an ipad+ XBOX would be like $900

rjejr

rjejr said:

@BJQ1972

Thanks for info. In retrospect that was probably a stupid suggestion on my part as everything is HDMI these days. Well everything except my DVI tv and old sound system, both of which I've been meaning to upgrade. Guess now would be a good time 8-)

XyVoX

XyVoX said:

When you say " it does full HD output for a start" so does the PS3 & 360 trouble is only a handful of games on them systems actually output true 1080p, so will the WiiU be outputting true 1080p on all games or is it going to be as is the case with the PS3 & 360 most games by far are only 720p.

rjejr

rjejr said:

@clubmini

It's not even remotely an iPad. It's not even one of those $75 Coby 7" products they sell at the drugstore. It's a Classic controller w/ a 6" screen stuck in the middle and an antennae to get all the info from the WiU. And an Xbox360 4Gb is $200. So $900? No. $300 is more like it.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I will put money on Android integration.
We already know your mobile phone can connect to wiiU if it has NFC, wifi, or usb. (pretty much every phone) for microtransactions etc.
The wii can't do this..

Can you stream movies on wii? yes. Can you buy a digital copy? no. (wiiU can)

How many hard drives can you attatch to wii which isnt hacked? none? just the sd card. not a vad option but not a big option.
the wiiU will have multi hard drives (any hard drive, usb stick) able to work on plugging it in.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

can you control your tv with the wii? not everywhere but you can in Japan thanks to some fancy tech. This clearly will be in wiiU. it has even already been dubbed as a universal remote control.

I think you need to open up to NFC a lot more too. Much more can be done with it than that daft rayman video. The wiiU has TWO forms of NfC. One that works on contact and one that works just by being nearby. There are many amazing possibilities with this tech.

can the wii make toast? no. Neither can wiiU.

3dbrains

3dbrains said:

I have totally just realised a HUGE potential for the wiiU for day one awesomeness.

WHAT IF...
The eshop is preloaded with DS games!
The wiiU could upscale them. The controls would be identicle. Customers happy. developers rich all over again. nintendo happy.
DS GAMES!

ShadowSniper7

ShadowSniper7 said:

A smell emitter on the controller so gamers can smell everything from flowery fields in the latest Zelda to Wario's farts on Super Smash.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

If DS games were playable that would be brilliant, though I doubt things like Space Invaders Extreme would be terribly playable given the physical disconnect between the screens. RPGs should work just fine, though.

I for one don't think there's been enough Wii-U hype on the site, so keep it up guys!

James

James said:

@XyVoX This is something we'll have to wait and find out I'm afraid. My gut instinct is we'll see a similar split between 1080p and 720p — I'd imagine most Nintendo games will be 1080, most third-parties 720p, particularly multi-format games.

Pete_Stooge

Pete_Stooge said:

Wonder if the old wiimote and nunchuck will work any better on the Wii U, cause it seems we'll be using those for a while...didn't fall in love with the new oversized controller...and please...please no HD remakes of old classics...

Luffymcduck

Luffymcduck said:

Can the other players in room have a new experience too, Nintendo? Like not using Wiimotes, since those are no use for say Smash Bros. If WiiU doesn´t allow more than 1-2 tabletcontrollers they could remake NGC controllers as alternative choice.

kdognumba1

kdognumba1 said:

I dunno, I know the system is a Nintendo made system which means good software but as far as the system itself goes, I need to see a lot more to be impressed.

Yellowgerbil

Yellowgerbil said:

I think that nintendo needs to release another allstars game such as both galaxy games on the wiiu in 1080p and with a few more levels. Also I think they need to justify the connectivity between 3DS and WII U because most people will not buy both (although I would XD). They need to make the ability of swapping club nintendo stars (or coins) into WII U and 3DS money.

kirbykid

kirbykid said:

would i need any of my original nintendo wii gear(wii remote, games etc) for the wiiu

roflcap