Nintendo Download: 24th May 2012 (Europe)

Posted by Thomas Whitehead

Balancing, metal slugging and free mighty switching

This week brings us a 3DS sequel to an excellent WiiWare title, a free update with new content from WayForward, and some Neo Geo goodness on Wii. Let's get to it.

3DS Download Software

Art of Balance TOUCH! (Shin’en Multimedia, £6.30/€7) — A sequel to a high-quality physics puzzler on WiiWare, this one has 100 new puzzles to take on. We'll have our review soon, but you can learn more in our Art of Balance TOUCH! first impressions.

3DS Add-On Content

Mighty Switch Force (WayForward Technologies, Free or full game £5.40/€6) — We've been waiting for a developer to take advantage of add-on content on the eShop, and the time has finally arrived. WayForward Technologies takes up the mantle with five new levels for its excellent puzzle platformer. New purchases will include the extra content, while those who already have the game can download it for free; we can't argue with that. If you want to know why we're looking forward to more of this title, you should probably check out our Mighty Switch Force review.

Wii Virtual Console

Metal Slug 3 (D4 Enterprise, 900pts) — Did somebody say Wii Virtual Console was dead? Not yet, as the third entry in the Metal Slug series brings more Neo-Geo run-and-gun action to Wii. Our review later this week will put it to the test.

Nintendo Video

Shaun the Sheep — The 3DS video service gets another episode of the animated series from Aardman Animations, creators of Wallace and Gromit. In the twelfth clip titled, Shaun’s Bale Out, it’s harvest time and the Farmer gives Bitzer a weighty task to perform. Shirley unknowingly has the solution.

Not a bumper week, but it seems to be a case of quality over quantity. Will you be downloading any of these?

Scottie

Scottie said:

Does anyone else think Metal Slug 3 is worth downloading even if you have the Metal Slug Anthology for the Wii? I am thinking about it as the classic controller cannot be used with the Metal Slug Anthology game but it can be with the Virtual Console version. Hope this post makes sense!! I do like these games though and they are better to play with the classic controller.

GameCube

GameCube said:

I deleted MSF from my system after completing it, does this mean I will have to play through the entire game again now to get to the new levels or are they available from the start?

BenAV

BenAV said:

Awesome, sounds like a good week.
Free Mighty Switch Force levels are very welcome!
Going to give Art of Balance a go.
Never played the WiiWare game but considering it's apparently so good, I'm hoping this'll be the same.
Hopefully it'll make up for Fun! Fun! Minigolf TOUCH.

Bass_X0

Bass_X0 said:

I have no interest in Metal Slug 3 but I am glad the VC is continued to being supported. If this keeps up, they may release a game I must download (that said, I want Mega Man 5 but have yet to download it).

ThomasBW84Admin

ThomasBW84 said:

@GameCube I think that your save data will be wiped, but I don't know whether WayForward will have the extra levels in their own menu for immediate access. I'd suggest jumping onto Amazon or somewhere and getting a 16GB SD card. Amazon in particular is quite cheap, and it'll give you a huge amount of free space in future to avoid this kind of thing happening.

BenAV

BenAV said:

I second what @ThomasBW84 said.
I have a ton of games on my 3DS menu, and my 16 GB SD card is only about 1/4 full.
My system memory on the other hand, is nearly completely full thanks to my DSiWare.

BradPJ

BradPJ said:

Always been interested in Mighty Switch Force but haven't downloaded it yet. I may buy it now, mainly because the game is held in high regard, but also to support the company, they probably could of charged for the extra 5 levels but offering it for free makes me respect them for doing so.

hydeks

hydeks said:

pretty slow week again, but its nice to see people starting to use the dlc service, and there not even charging u for it! Something Sony and Microsoft should pay attention too, I swear the dlc for a game on there systems costs more than the game itself :P

PixelatedPixie

PixelatedPixie said:

An Art of Balance sequel, free DLC for Might Switch Force, and a Virtual Console game? NOE seems to be on a role recently when it comes to the eShop and Wii Virtual Console.

CanisWolfred

CanisWolfred said:

Aw man, you guys get Metal Slug 3. You know how long I've been waiting for that? I hope we get it soon. And yes I have the collection, but I want Metal Slug 3 anyways. It's just that good a game.

GameCube

GameCube said:

@ThomasBW84 I don't care about disk space, I just always delete downloaded games I've completed to get a sense of closure. Like returning a book to the library or a dvd to the rental store after you're done with it. I don't like keeping finished things lying around, even if they're just virtual like eShop games.

Jamix012

Jamix012 said:

Here's a question: Will you be re-reviewing Mighty Switch Force with the new levels? Or will you review the extra levels seperately? Or just no review at all? The game will have fundamentally changed with 5 extra levels so I think maybe a slightly revised review is warranted?

Fabian

Fabian said:

Wow 2 weeks without dsiware is this finally the end for the dsishop? hopefully not

darklordrobert

darklordrobert said:

I was secretly hoping for a Mario Tennis Open demo. I want try it first before I decide if I buy it or not.
Capcom could learn something from WayForward! :)

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@GameCube Have you considered making a folder for completed games? That may save you trouble down the line. Just seems kinda silly to me

James

James said:

@Jamix012 Nope, our original review stands. The fact you're getting more of the game for free is a bonus really :D

Also (and I hate to say this) I agree with lz — create a folder for completed games and hide them in there instead of deleting them :)

gojiguy

gojiguy said:

@Scottie
I'd say so.

I'm in the rare position of having a gamecube two-player arcade stick (a wonderful, modded X-Arcade). So I can play Metal Slug with a stick. But otherwise I'd be SOL. Including when the Wii U comes out.

On top of that, the emulation on the VC beats the emulation on the MS Collection for sure.

I'd say go for it. It's a great game and it'll be more worth the money without infinite continues killing the challenge.

chewytapeworm

chewytapeworm said:

"Not a bumper week!?" Not a bumper week if it ain't your thang I guess. Best week for me in a looooong, long time. Art of Balance 3d and new Mighty Switch Force will have my nose stuck into my 3ds for ages... Well, til next week at least! :D

FonistofCruxis

FonistofCruxis said:

I'll definitely get Art of balance touch at some point and I still need to get MSF. Its good that Wayforward are offering new levels for free unlike some devs.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@scottie: I dumped the Metal Slug Anthology due to a lack of motion-free control option. There's some nice extras, but I'd rather be able to play the game "properly" so the VC Neo Geo versions are for me. If we get Metal Slug X that'll be my Metal Slug collection complete.

LEGEND_MARIOID

LEGEND_MARIOID said:

AoB is one of the best download games anywhere on any platform. It really is top notch. Couldn't be more of a insta-DL if it tried.

Scottie

Scottie said:

@Sean_Aaron: What are the Metal Slug games you have so far and which one is the best?
@gojiguy: Thanks for that - i have the Anthology already and Metal Slug 1 and 2 on the VC guess i will get 3 on Thursday then! 900 points is a big outlay that's all. It's either Slug or Legend of the Mystical Ninja for me.

Rawk_Hawk

Rawk_Hawk said:

Metal Slug 3 and 5 are the best games. Metal Slug 3 gets the award for its wackiness. Metal Slug 5 gets the award for the awesome soundtrack.

Onett

Onett said:

More and more love for Europe. Metal Slug 3 is my favorite of them all.

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

I have MS1, 2 and 3 on Virtual Console on my Japanese Wii. I've played 4, 5 and 6 and honestly they were just too derivative for me to bother with. Three is definitely my favourite for the epicness and messed-uppedness of it. It really does take everything from the previous games and turn it all the way up.

SKTTR

SKTTR said:

Looking forward to the other two Wonder Boy arcades and Snowpack Park.

Mix in some Earthbound and Terranigma as well.

Retro City Rampage and La-Mulana!

I have MS3 on the Metal Slug Anthology. It's definately the craziest.

Nintenbro

Nintenbro said:

@Bass_X0, what a coincidence you would mention Megaman 5 today. I told a Wii console friend of mine that I wished I had enough points to download Megaman 5, and he gifted it to me just last night. I owned Megaman 4 as child, but me and my brother sold our NES before Megaman 5 was released. I always wished I had the chance to experience it. I've been planning to download it, but somehow other WiiWare and VC titles always got in the way. I tried it out last night, and the level designs are even more unique than Megaman 4. Although, the level designs in Megaman 4 did have more puzzle elements. Which is what I loved about it. I really don't see why people state that Megaman 5 is easier than previous entries in the series, because of having the ability to charge your shots. I haven't been able to reach a single robot master yet, and I could reach the robot masters in Megaman 3 without the Mega Buster. lol

By the way, the letter plate collecting isn't very difficult. It's a welcomed addition, though.

amerilia

amerilia said:

I don't know about the game, but the cover for Metal Slug 3 looks pretty awesome imo.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

@ Scottie

Well the advantage of getting the Wii compilation was having all of the Metal Slug titles on one disc with a little bit of extras on the side. Assuming they release all or most of the Metal Gear titles, you can pick which ones you'd rather download. I bought the compilation and it's well worth it in my opinion.

Urbanhispanic

Urbanhispanic said:

@Sean_Arron The Wii compilation was still good, controls wise. The only "motions" it required was for you to flick your wrist to chuck a grenade. It wasn't a game breaking fault at all.

WaLzgiStaff

WaLzgi said:

@abHS4L I assume that it will be an update like the Mario Kart one last week. Just go to the eShop once it's available and it should be on the front page. If you already own it, look for the update (MSF 1.1), and if not, then just buy the game and you should automatically get it.

@James: It was gonna happen someday! Besides, don't you agree that Shining Force needs to make a return? :D

BenAV

BenAV said:

@abHS4L It'll either be what Lz said, or it'll be like when the ambassador games get released to the public and get a few changes.
When you go to the eShop it'll probably say that an update is available for software that you own, and then ask if you want to download it or something like that.

Either way, it'll be simple. ;)

Scottie

Scottie said:

@urbanhispanic: Yes i have heard good reports about this game and think i will download this as well as Metal Slug 3. Have you got Legend of the Mystical Ninja then?

Reenie

Reenie said:

@BenAV
I am embarrassed to admit this, but I actually enjoyed Fun Fun Minigolf...

And I will totally get the Art of Balance game. Looks fun!

luminalace

luminalace said:

Can't notice any difference with Nintendo Video but interesting nonetheless! The ability to save videos to the SD card would have been awesome!

Geonjaha

Geonjaha said:

Nothing obvious in the Nintendo Video update besides a new video - maybe it was just patching. As is always the case, we would have been informed if it was anything substantial.

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

Um. I'm not seeing better 3D in MSF...

Well particle effects seem to jump out further but to me at least, the 3D effect looks exactly the same! 5 new levels though! :D

Mercury9

Mercury9 said:

Just checked Nintendo Video and a download bar just popped up on the Sky 3D video window and changed the video. This is new right? Or have I just never seen it happen before?

Chris720

Chris720 said:

That's always been there.

I see nothing new in NV either so I don't know what that update was for.

DrMonk

DrMonk said:

Maybe the Nintendo Video update is related to e3? Stream video content from e3? Room for more than 4 videos at a time?

Ducutzu

Ducutzu said:

I got "Art of Balance TOUCH" and love it. Much better than the minigolf game from the same company...

Sean_Aaron

Sean_Aaron said:

@Urbanhispanic: we'll have to agree to disagree; the lack of precision really got on my tits. I did play it using a Classic Linker so I could use a Classic Controller with it since it supported the Gamecube controller, but the tethering got annoying after a time. When I saw they were releasing them on the VC with CC support that seemed like the best solution for me and I just hoped that eventually Metal Slug 3 would get the treatment!