We'll Probably See Some New Nintendo Characters Soon

Posted by James Newton

Who will they be?

Shigeru Miyamoto — creator of Mario, Zelda, Donkey Kong and more, of course — has dropped a seriously big hint we'll see new characters from Nintendo very soon.

The Guardian asked Miyamoto if there was a particular game or style he wanted to work on, to which he replied:

I don't have a big list of ideas I want to realise, I usually come up with new ideas while I am working on other games. That said, there's a strong possibility we will introduce some new characters to the scene soon.

We haven't seen many brand new Nintendo characters in recent years, but with Miyamoto focused on new franchises it probably won't be too long until we see a set of fresh faces.

[via guardian.co.uk]

Nin-freak

Nin-freak said:

Can't wait to see what he has up his sleeves(Since all I can see is what's on his sleeves)

komicturtle

komicturtle said:

Actually, we have seen plenty of new characters by Nintendo. Trace Memory, Chibi Robo, Disaster, Captain Rainbow, Glory of Heracles.. Starfy, Pushmo's Mallow, Dillon, Sakura Samurai, new FE characters. Then, we have some Japan exclusive characters by Nintendo.. Nintendo has been producing new IPs all the time. Of the big 3, Microsoft hasn't been bringing anything new.

Can't believe people miss that o_O

DestinyMan

DestinyMan said:

I'm still eager in seeing what Miyamoto has in store, so there's always E3 to fall back on again for more information. It'll be interesting to see what genre he's going for too.

Joshers744

Joshers744 said:

I've got this great idea for a new Character for Nintendo to come up with. How about, a blue hedgehog, that somewhat resembles Mickey Mouse, but can run faster than the speed of sound. Maybe give him some crazy friend, like, a two tailed fox or something.......wait....this is starting to sound familiar..

Xilef

Xilef said:

@K0M1C I guess he means some new major Nintendo characters. Like in the same league as Mario, Link, Samus, Kirby you get the idea. Stil, exciting! Hope we get to se something at E3. :)

Mizore

Mizore said:

Wonder what he'll come up with...the last new character from him was Olimar right?

Linkstrikesback

Linkstrikesback said:

And then people can completely ignore it, and 2 days later complain that nintendo never makes new characters!

Hooray!

janettocrossing

janettocrossing said:

Lol, i can't help but wonder about how the character would look like. What if it turns out to be Mario and Luigi's cousin? That would be so cool! He would probably be dressed in blue and date Princess Rosalina! PeachXMario , LuigiXDaisy , and (NewGuy)XRosalina!!!! XD :D

SkywardLink98

SkywardLink98 said:

Wow! Kid Icarus worked out well, (The series hasn't gotten a game in 21 years, and the new one just includes old characters. It's practically a new franchise.) so I can't wait to see what other new franchises this genius's mind can come up with next :D

3DSLUIGI

3DSLUIGI said:

@DeMoN-13ruce

I'll agree to that. Hades was a cool addition as a new Nintendo character. Even if he did play the role as a villian. I did especially like Viridi also. She seemed to me, a VERY spunky headstrong character that felt more like a loner. Even if she was a goddess that was against humans.

The one kind of character I would enjoy seeing Nintendo create this time would have to be like an evil version of Peach or say in the area of like a Dark Zelda like they did with Dark Link in the Zelda games.

sinalefa

sinalefa said:

Sounds good.

Still I think that characters like Dillon or Sakura Samurai are pretty young and they can still evolve into something bigger, although not of the caliber of Mario or Zelda.

And why include only starring characters? IMO Groose is one of Nintendo's most interesting characters ever.

Shane904

Shane904 said:

I guess you could say he has a
-puts on sunglasses-
lot on his shoulders.

YEAAAHHHHHHH!

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

Actually, I am using a program to create an RPG and I was going to ask Nintendo to sell it on the eShop. As long as I still got the rights, credit, and stuff, I was going to let them use the games for a small franchise.

Kirk

Kirk said:

@K0M1C

I think people were more kinda meaning some GREAT characters in GREAT games rather than mostly forgetful characters in games most people don't really care about.

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

It's not just a new IP we want but one that is worthy of being listed among Zelda, Mario, and Metroid. Even something that goes in the second tier of StarFox, Pikmin, F-Zero. I think Kid Icarus is almost in that group already. If they can pull of a Wii U version of Kid Icarus that is awesome... but if Nintendo has any confidence in a new IP to thrive alongside those others, then I'm paying attention. The fact that Miyamoto is teasing at all is a good, if weak, sign.

You know what I'd REALLY like to see? Studio Ghibli and Nintendo working together. A Miyazaki/Miyamoto collaboration. Some sort of soaring adventure involving flying, exploration, a sprawling imaginative world and larger-than-life characters.

I can dream right?

aaronsullivan

aaronsullivan said:

@Cloud-San-VII
Hope your game is awesome and successful, but unless you have a development kit for Nintendo or at least a dedicated building for game development, current Nintendo policies don't even let you in the door to show the game.

There's plenty of good venues to sell a game though (iOS is one of the best for independent developers) and I have a feeling Nintendo is going to make a broader push for developers in this next generation.

Hokori

Hokori said:

@komic I agree ouendan and daigasso band brothers are some really great ip by Nintendo BTW glory of Herucles was on the GB

ShellyDeKiller

ShellyDeKiller said:

I'd like to see some more reimaginings of classic franchises, just like they did with Kid Icarus, and WayForward did with 'A Boy and his Blob'. I'm thinking StarTropics, Clu Clu Land, Duck Hunt, etc.

Enzo_V

Enzo_V said:

well i liked the anime styled characters like in fire emblem. we need lots of those or even characters like in street fighter. characters with guns and stuff. peach and daisy has their own rivals. side characters from mario galaxy.

hillbill26

hillbill26 said:

Well, i think it's about time. Can't wait to see wat Miyamoto has to offer. Though, i would be fine if he brought back on old series. I'll just be waiting to see what he comes up with.

Capt_N

Capt_N said:

@Janett It's unofficial, but Stanley the bugman/bug-catcher(from the arcade Donkey Kong 3), is sometimes considered to be Mario, & Luigi's cousin. It's unofficial, as I said, however. @ least to my knowledge, anyway.

(Edit: @Everyone Else:) I've always wondered if Nintendo was going to eventually give Samus a male counterpart, in the Metroid franchise. I would think they would for multiplayer action, but Prime 2, & Hunters say otherwise.

Nintendo has in the past decade given a male/female, or villain counterpart to most of it's characters in those franchises the characters appear: Fox has Krystal, Apparently Mona harbors a crush on Wario, Waluigi is Luigi's Wario, Rosalina is Luigi's Peach, since Daisy has yet to be in a Main-series Mario game, etc.

& Nintendo has put out newer characters, generally appearing in new ips. Thing is, I think Miyamoto is not necessarily going to create characters that will be in the same tier as Mario/Link/Samus. However, newer characters, & newer ips are a welcome addition to the fray.

OdnetninAges

OdnetninAges said:

@Capt_N
Uhh, Daisy's first game was Super Mario Land, a main series Mario game. After that, she was in the N64 Mario Golf title.

NImH

NImH said:

I read a rumor about a "party-food" character that eats pharmaceuticals, bakes out and hunts ghosts... THAT sounds awesome!
I wonder what the character would look like? Who comes up with this stuff?

Cloud-San-VII

Cloud-San-VII said:

@aaronsullivan
I know, right. And it gives both companies HUGE publicity and bragging rights. But how long would the game and/or series last? Studio Ghibli makes a lot of anime movies, and I don't really recall them ever working on a video game, so how would they continue to make a long running series that is on par (or so) as Mario or Zelda?

JimLad

JimLad said:

You know the best way to come up with new characters?
Make more platforming games! That's how all the best ones started:
Mario, Metroid, Sonic, Mega Man, Castlevania, Kirby...

And they've got to be awesome, unlike Pikmin and Nintendogs.
Miyamoto is a great producer, but I doubt his ability to come up with any new awesome ideas at this point.

misswliu81

misswliu81 said:

you know that ex-sega employee, the sonic director, hirokazu yasuhara, who recently joined nintendo a while back? well, i think him and miyamoto should collaborate together and make a new video game character and franchise.

@Capt_N I've always wondered if Nintendo was going to eventually give Samus a male counterpart, in the Metroid franchise. I would think they would for multiplayer action, but Prime 2, & Hunters say otherwise. >> they should make anthony higgs from metroid: other m playable

bahooney

bahooney said:

Dillon's Rolling Western, and Pushmo both introduced new characters, so it's really not that big of a deal...